• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 360 Games on Demand Thread of UnUnified Prices, Releases & Paying Way Over Retail

So why are the MSPoint prices different? I thought the whole point of them was to enable content to be priced the same the world over?

What's the point of them now? (For Microsoft I mean, I can see the benefits to the consumer if you're lucky enough to be living somewhere where Microsoft likes its customers)

TwIsTeD

MMaRsu said:
Who knows.. I don't think anybody is crazy enough to buy one of these games.

:lol someone be a brave soul, i`d buy something on jpn marketplace but i doubt my credit card would work

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Yeah.. this is nuts. The 20 dollars games are probably about right. That is a fair price for an older game.. 30 for a somewhat newish game that was a big hit. 50 for a new release..

But these idiots are charging WAY over retail. I love DD.. yet somehow steam manages to do so at reasonable prices.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I feel stupid, can you buy these games with MS points too? I am confused why the list has MSpoints.

MMaRsu

Banned
Wario64 said:
I feel stupid, can you buy these games with MS points too? I am confused why the list has MSpoints.

Yes. But this was pretty much known since the announcement of Games on Demand I believe.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
MMaRsu said:
Yes. But this was pretty much known since the announcement of Games on Demand I believe.

Hmm, weird, when I checked in the marketplace today all I saw was a price + tax. Nothing about MS points. I didnt want to accidentally purchase a game so I didn't bother clicking further into it

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The Faceless Master said:
think about all the gas money you'll save. and time!

which is even dumber. DD should allow for cheaper games because the maker gets retail markup.

I think it is inevitable that the prices for these are going to have to come back to reality. I can see 20 dollars being the floor (and think that is fair)... but pretty much all of those games should already be 20 bucks.. a few 30.

MMaRsu

Banned
Wario64 said:
Hmm, weird, when I checked in the marketplace today all I saw was a price + tax. Nothing about MS points. I didnt want to accidentally purchase a game so I didn't bother clicking further into it

Try to buy the game, but before accepting to pay money for it, press Y. That's the option to use MSP :). Don't you have like loads from all those point contests?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
MMaRsu said:
Try to buy the game, but before accepting to pay money for it, press Y. That's the option to use MSP :). Don't you have like loads from all those point contests?

Holy shit it works. I can see why they hid it and give you the option to add a payment option first.

Yeah I'm still sitting on a good decent pile. Wow, I might buy Mass Effect tonight at only 1600 points.

MMaRsu

Banned
Wario64 said:
Holy shit it works. I can see why they hid it and give you the option to add a payment option first.

Yeah I'm still sitting on a good decent pile. Wow, I might buy Mass Effect tonight at only 1600 points.

1600 for Mass Effect isn't that bad at all, I'm just pissed that EU gets shafted on this.

Roxas

Holy shit, most of the UK selection are "Classics" which retail at £17.99, and MS have the balls to charge £19.99 for a fucking digital copy?

get the fuck outta here

__DreamVsPS2__ said:
lol i picked up cod2 for $5 used and when im done with it i'll sell it on ebay for AT LEAST $10+.
So you're saying that Microsoft should be paying people $5 to download these games, and anything else is a rip off?

xbhaskarx

toythatkills said:
So you're saying that Microsoft should be paying people $5 to download these games, and anything else is a rip off?

Yeah, what's wrong with that, price Indie Games at $1, XBLA games at $2, Xbox Originals at $3, and 360 games at $5. Problem solved.
Actually, even that's not good enough because he's actually playing the game and then making a $5 PROFIT. Just give every game away for free, those greedy M$ bastards make enough money from Xbox Live as it is.

PSGames

nolookjones said:
will never use a service like this unless its at least 30% off retail

Agreed. Man these DD games are a complete waste of money. They inherently hold much less value than their physical counterparts. Once you've beaten the game what can you do with it? You can't resale it. You can't loan it to a friend. What is the point of owning it at that point?

KevinCow

Banned
"When DD takes over, games are going to cost way less! Publishers love us, there's no way they wouldn't pass their savings onto us!"

lol at the people who actually believed that nonsense.

What the fuck? I just don't get... it. $30 for fucking COD2. Seriously

3584594003_21621d50d6_o.jpg

MMaRsu

Banned
CoilShot said:
Is Viva Pinata worth it? I've never played it.

It's worth buying in store for a lesser price yes. It's pretty awesome, especially if you just want to relax ( although the game does get hard later on ).

xbhaskarx

Mirimar said:
If you don't like it, you won't be able to sell it back.

Many games, including Viva Pinata, have free Demos available in the Marketplace, so people can try them out before they buy them.

Arzehn

The Canadian dollar is 0.9276 of the USD. Why is this still happening...

They need to change the cost of points...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Alex said:
You're looking at it the wrong way though.

It's a matter of common sense and selection. When I purchase used, I ain't goin' in for a copy of Madden. Usually they'll have 1-2 copies at best of what I want. If I buy off of Ebay, Half or Amazon I can check between a very large amount of copies.

I've never, ever, ever had good luck with quality from Gamestop, for example, nor are their prices ever any good.

That and the people who work at the Gamestop down the street here are *CREEPY*.

This can very easily be the conditions of just a particular store. Quality and selection can vary wildly depending on location. It all depends on how many trades a store may get. You're going to find much better quality in stores with higher trade volumes. Try going into strip center stores (NOT malls) in highly commercial areas.

Stores with lower trade volumes have to compensate with shipments, which are almost always either table scraps from other stores or resurfaced games.

This is pretty bull-shit.

Should be $20 across the board. I guess they are probably getting pressure from retail not to undercut them - the prices are likely based on the absolute highest prices being charged by any retailer they give a damn about, and given the way Wal-Mart lags in price drops, I'm guessing they're not eager to see them put competing product on their own store for $20.

I can't understand the pricing except for that point - Retailers who buy and sell the product for those prices must be putting pressure to keep the "value" of those titles high - especially Call of Duty 2 which is easily available for $10, but I imagine Wal-Mart sees that the 70% of stores or so that still have a copy or two of that game priced at $30 and demands it be priced there.

schick85

I'm just a button away from purchasing Mass Effect. Tell me the game is region free (like it's retail counterpart) and I'll buy it in an instant.

Furthermore, I'm sure Sony and Nintendo would be doing the same pricing, because they have the same retail pressures put on them - they can't undercut the people who currently buy 99% of their product and 100% of their hardware to sell in their stores. It's just not going to happen, for any of them.

It works on Steam because retail doesn't give a about PC games, but Wal-Mart's buyers probably think they can still buy and sell copies of Call of Duty 2 for $30 this christmas, and those other games at those prices. It's just a fact that retail controls prices more than MS/Sony/Nintendo/Activision do. I'm sure if Wal-Mart's buyer could get away with it, they'd put those copies of Modern Warfare 2 on their shelves at $80 this holiday and sell about as many copies.

Bollocks!!!! I bought Mass Effect by accident!!!!!

I wasnt paying attention while browsing through the games and demand option and clicked buy to see what happens. Since I haven't got enough points to afford it, I figured it would just come up saying that. I forgot about the credit card thing. I will never go onto games on demand section at 1am again. Making things worse, I'm in Ireland so it's 30 funking euro!!!!

Laugh away gentlemen. :(

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
OldJadedGamer said:
So are these prices only "way over retail" outside of the US?
Canada is a mix of yes/no. Mass Effect and the other $29.99CAD games are in line with the price of Platinum Hits at retail. The $39.99 games like CoD2 are both weird and above retail. When Viva Pinata2 was on the service yesterday it was priced the same as it is at Canadian retail.

schick85

snoopeasystreet said:

I wasnt paying attention while browsing through the games and demand option and clicked buy to see what happens. I since I haven't got enough points to afford it, I figured it would just come up saying that. I forgot about the credit card thing. I will never go onto games on demand section at 1am again. Making things worse, I'm in Ireland so it's 30 funking euro!!!!

Sorry to hear that. I bought a game like that too by accident, but I ended up having lots of fun with it. I hope you manage to do the same,

Any way you can check and see if it's region free?

Sydle

snoopeasystreet said:

I wasnt paying attention while browsing through the games and demand option and clicked buy to see what happens. I since I haven't got enough points to afford it, I figured it would just come up saying that. I forgot about the credit card thing. I will never go onto games on demand section at 1am again. Making things worse, I'm in Ireland so it's 30 funking euro!!!!

:lol

pilonv1

Here's some more awesome Australian pricing

COD2 - $49.95
Oblivion (standard edition) - $49.95
Viva Pnata - $29.95
Mass Effect - $99.95

Mass Effect is full price. so stupid considering you can buy it from Game's website for $30

Top Bottom