• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3DS has one of Nintendo's best libraries ever

It happened. Metroid: Samus Returns has finally released on 3DS and while there are still a handful of games coming to the system (some as big as Pokemon), the return to planet SR388 made me reflect on how damn good the 3DS library has become over the last six years. Sure, it was a rocky start full of software draught, doom and price drops but in mere months we went from "handhelds are no longer viable in a market dominated by smartphones" to "holy crap these games though".

I had to stop myself from putting more examples in the image below otherwise I'd be here all day but it isn't just quantity where the 3DS thrives, so many of its games could be considered some of the best of all time. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds was heralded as the greatest Zelda since Ocarina of Time and going back to replay it, I remember why! Every single aspect of this game's design is polished to a shimmering gleam and it revisits and revitalises one of the industry’s all time classics.

What about Kid Icarus: Uprising? The game that introduced us to the 3DS during its E3 debut. Sure, not everyone could get on board with the control scheme but those who did were rewarded with what could be regarded as Nintendo's greatest shooter. It brought Kid Icarus back in style and stands as another outstanding accomplishment in Sakurai's career.

This year's release of Dragon Quest 8 was my first exposure to the RPG and it's gone down as one of my favourite games of all time. I've gone back to play the original PS2 version but I can't revert back to random encounters, the 3DS version has so many outstanding QoL improvements that I really suggest checking out.

I could go on and on. Fire Emblem: Awakening, the game that made Fire Emblem a major Nintendo IP. Super Smash Bros for 3DS, the first portable Smash. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, the game that brought together two of the DS's most influential franchises. The 3DS had so many outstanding and surprising games and I'm still discovering more and more to this day.

This isn't even mentioning the eShop. Games like Pullblox, Gunman Clive, Box Boy (I sneaked in the Japanese only physical release below), Dillon's Rolling Western, Steamworld Dig... there is so much variety and many of them can be considered to be the best games on the system.

So what have been your favourite 3DS games and why is this system special to you?

GNzuJSs.jpg

Kuro

My dream is for someone to put 3DS innards in an actual comfortable form factor with good quality screens. So many good JRPGs that I can only play for 20-30 minutes at a time because the damn thing is so uncomfortable.

I wholeheartedly agree, even having only played half of those games in the pic. There's also the downloadable only (Capcpom) Ace Attorney games with Apollo Justice soon to nearly complete the saga on one system, Virtue's Last Reward, streetpass games, a half-decent Virtual Console and of course full DS backwards compatibility. It's been fantastic.

EDIT: just saw VLR hiding away in the corner never mind! :)

Protome

Is that image just a list of random 3DS games? Because including the bastardisations of MGS3 and Cave Story as examples of the best of 3DS is pretty hilarious in concept.

I think the 3DS library is really strong but not quite as good as the DS. But it being backwards compatible means that its over all the best.

Mephala

Now if we can just get Radiant Historia and TWEWY sequels in... Maybe a new Advance Wars to round things off too.

Is that image just a list of random 3DS games? Because including the bastardisations of MGS3 and Cave Story as examples of the best of 3DS is pretty hilarious in concept.

I think the 3DS library is really strong but not quite as good as the DS. But it being backwards compatible means that its over all the best.

Random good 3DS games, yes. The 3DS version of MGS3 is partly my favourite version of the game and partly my least favourite. The gameplay and control improvements surpass the HD version but it's plagued by a poor frame rate. I also really like Cave Story 3D ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If anything MGS3 displays solid third party support even if not everyone enjoys the port.

Yes it's good. But look at the PSP library. I'm way more impressed from that.

There will never be a handheld again with this huge amount of big ass AAA third party support. Just crazy how many unbelievable games it got.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You are missing MH3 in that list

I am playing Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden and Dragon Ball Fusion.

And the 2 Senran Kagura games.

too many games

giapel

It took a while but it's alright now. However, handheld libraries are defined by their quirky unique titles and in this respect the 3DS is seriously lacking compared to the bizarreness that was the DS.

KingBroly

Banned
It's my favourite 3DS game too. This little segment here is favourite use of stereoscopic 3D in any medium:

I definitely think ALBW uses 3D the best. It's not too intense like some games.

3DS, from a first party perspective, has been great. It's also been bad in some cases.

The 3DS has the best library since the PS2 (or DS) - and even then I feel you could argue it superior. That said, I personally found the system really held back how much I was able to appreciate - or rather enjoy - my time with it. Obviously wasn't a dealbreaker, but the ergonomics, controls, and dismal screen resolution soured me a bit.

If we see something comparable with the Switch, it may just be the GOAT console for me.

Protome

Layton vs Wright was one of the best 3DS games for me. It took the best bits of both series and used them to fill in the weaker parts of the other. It was great and deserves a sequel.

Random good 3DS games, yes. The 3DS version of MGS3 is partly my favourite version of the game and partly my least favourite. The gameplay and control improvements surpass the HD version but it's plagued by a poor frame rate. I also really like Cave Story 3D ¯_(ツ)_/¯

If anything MGS3 displays solid third party support if not everyone enjoys the port.
That's fair. The framerate and graphical downgrades of MGS3D made it near unplayable for me, regardless of control improvements.

Cave Story 3D took a charming, pretty 2D platformer and made it look as ugly and generic as physically possible.. It still played fine though.

nubbe

To think 3DS got two brilliant games this month with Monster Hunter Stories and Samus Returns.

Here for 5 more years

13ruce

Banned
Agreed! Only the Switch seems on track to beat it, it got a killer headstart already with Splatoon, Mario, Zelda, Doom, Skyrim etc in a single year.

Never played a official fire emblem tho but i will jump into the series in 2018 with the Switch game. Got enough games to play till then anyway in my backlog lol.

It has my favorte libary yet and that superstar saga remake will be a cherry on the top since that was my first Mario RPG game ever, can't wait to hear the updated music especially Popple's theme.

Edit: don't miss out on Monster Hunter Stories btw it's the best Monster Hunter game yet imo and otherwise the most charming one. Kinda the Zelda Wind Waker of the MH Series

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Kid Icarus Uprising
SMT IV
SMT IV: A

These three games are my favourite games on 3DS.

As for Persona Q, I enjoyed it but I wouldn't recommend this game without playing Persona 3 and 4 first.
Same goes with Kingdom Hearts DDD, I wouldn't want to play that as your first Kingdom Hearts.

Z..

Yes it's good. But look at the PSP library. I'm way more impressed from that.

There will never be a handheld again with this huge amount of big ass AAA third party support. Just crazy how many unbelievable games it got.

Is this a joke? I mean, I love me some PSP (especially on the Vita) gems but it can't even hold a candle to the DS or the GBA in terms of both quantity and quality.

It is pretty neck and neck with the 3DS, though, I'll give you that.

knkng

a console that can play all dragon quest games is the best console ever in my opinion

Wait, where can I play 1-3?

Anyways, yeah, amazing library of games on this system. Add in the fact that it can play original DS games and it really is something special. I also love how so many great DS games got re-releases on 3DS: Etrian Odyssey 1-2, Devil Survivor 1-2, Ace Attorney 1-4, Strange Journey, and Radiant Historia. So damn good.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Wait, where can I play 1-3?

Anyways, yeah, amazing library of games on this system. Add in the fact that it can play original DS games and it really is something special. I also love how so many great DS games got re-releases on 3DS: Etrian Odyssey 1-2, Devil Survivor 1-2, Ace Attorney 1-4, Strange Journey, and Radiant Historia. So damn good.

They are out in Japan, if you want a native 3DS game. Hopefully they are localized for the rest of the world when DQXI gets here.

Otherwise, you can get them via homebrew and emulators.

Ventara

It's a great library.

Zelda ALBW is the standout game for me. Best Zelda since Link's awakening and the best use of the 3D the system ever got. Also the mural puzzle mechanic was sublime

+1. Simply amazing game. This, Fantasy Life and Rune Factory 4 were my favourites for the system. Can't believe that there might never be a Rune Factory 5 and what happened to Fantasy Life 2.

knkng

They are out in Japan, if you want a native 3DS game. Hopefully they are localized for the rest of the world when DQXI gets here.

Otherwise, you can get them via homebrew and emulators.

Ah, I see. It would be nice to get a localization, but I'm not about to hold my breath for it.

Clov

It definitely has a great library! A lot of really impressive titles on the system. It's hard to say which single title is my absolute favorite, but I really loved these ones: Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Pokemon Sun, Fire Emblem Fates, SMTIV: Apocalypse, and Soul Hackers.

jonno394

Agreed. It's why i constantly toy with the idea of buying one even though I'm fully on board with the Switch and struggling to find time to play all the games i have.

Sadist

I own like 27 games out of that list, so yeah, great system.

It also has Final Fantasy Theatrhytm (Curtain Call) which are amazing games. And oh, Ace Attorney Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice. It's pretty cool in my book. Devil Survivor Overclocked is a great port.

Strings

I think it's easily the weakest Nintendo handheld library. Not to say it's bad or anything, it's pretty good... But it's no GB, GBA, and especially no DS.

DesiacX

Surprised the the entire Ds lineup isn't mentioned. The only main pokemon games 3Ds can't play are the 5 gba titles and crystal.

VDenter

Banned
In terms of 1st party it was probably the best Nintendo handheld device. But if i look at the overall library and taking 3rd party into account the original DS wins by a mile.

Forkball

I agree. If you own a New 3DS, you have access to the entire 3DS library, the DS library, as well as a good selection of Game Boy, Game Boy Color, NES, and SNES titles. There are a ridiculous number of options.

Nintendo's output alone may top what they did with the DS. I suppose it depends on your taste, but there are some franchises such as Zelda and Fire Emblem where the 3DS versions are undeniably better than the DS ones. Not to mention the no-shows during the DS days like Smash, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong, Mario Sports, Pikmin etc.

I'm hoping Switch gets to the levels the 3DS reached in terms of software quantity and quality.

Firemind

Fantastic. I can only hope the Switch gets close to it.

Utter bullshit IMO, particularly when it comes to the GBA. The GBA didn't even have an original Mario platformer!
Does it even matter though when it has the three best Mario platformers which you can play on the go for the first time?

I'm not contesting the point at all, 3DS had a great lineup, but it would've been nice to get a few more of the often overlooked C-tier series that Nintendo used to put out like Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Starfy, etc.

Obv not a dealbreaker of any kind but hopefully at least one of those can return going forward.

FiveSide

Banned
If you count ports and DS backwards compatibility, it might actually be the best library on a Nintendo system.

I certainly had a good time with it. Bought it for Star Fox and Ocarina of Time; kept it for Shin Megami Tensei, Theatrhythm, and Alpha Sapphire; now nearing the end of its official support with Metroid and (hopefully) Dragon Quest XI.

Only major flaw is Mario, he had a few stumbles with 3D Land, NSMB2, and Sticker Star. I'm not the biggest Mario fan anyway though, so it didn't affect me all that much.

Great system, it'd probably beat out the PSP as my favorite handheld if the PSP didn't have PS1 Classics.

Top Bottom