• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 58th Grammy Awards |OT| Witness Greatness tonight at 8 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
To whatever. Its all opinions and subjective. There will always be some racist undertones to this stuff as with the Oscars. Nothing new.

K. Dot deserved it with GKMC and TPAB. Ye' shoulda got it with MBDTF. Lupe should've been, at the very least, nominated for Tetsuo & Youth. In my opinion. Super Future ain't never gonna get one but that's cool cus he make those bangers.

DOPE won't when an Oscar.

Whatever. Its all subjective anyway.

It just stings when someone's music can move a nation or support a cause or have depth and be over or underlooked simply because "fun" music was more popular. I say that with a bias to both the radio and pop music especially.

But we gon' be alright!

IF YOUNG METRO DON'T TRUST YOU I'M GON SHOOT YA!

is the rallying cry of this generation
TRUUU

Schattenjäger;195442181 said:
Beck?
Beck was he most talented artist that year and even would beat this year's artists
Beck is amazing
Too much salt is making you say a silly thing about Beck

Even Beck said his album was boring as shit. Because it was. Beck is talented, but come on. Morning Phase was a technical snooze fest. Just about everyone agrees he didn't deserve aoty for THAT album.

it’s hard for me to miss the patterns over 56 years of NARAS handing out golden gramophones. The fact is, Grammy voters really only began giving Album of the Year to a marginal seller a couple of decades ago, as the American monoculture began to crumble and it was harder for them to agree what, exactly, that album was. It seems contrary to NARAS’s fundamental mission, in the 21st century, for it to enshrine a collection of Joni Mitchell covers or the seventh-best Steely Dan album. The biggest Grammy awards every year are, at root, about coronation; they have a lousy track record of cool-finding curation.

You can argue, very credibly, that Morning Phase is a polished, well-crafted collection of songs that finds Beck drawing upon a rich 20-plus-year career. What you can’t argue is that it was anywhere near the center of popular culture in 2014. Whether that center was as schlocky as Blood Sweat & Tears in 1969, as timeless as Songs in the Key of Life in 1976, or as game-changing as Beyoncé in 2013, winners of big Grammys should probably have been trees that fell in the forest and made a sound. Maybe that’s what Kanye West was prattling on about.

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/669-beck-and-the-incredible-shrinking-album-of-the-year/

valeo

Because they are.

Look, I didn't even enjoy TPaB on the same magnitude as others did, but come on!

To Pimp a Butterfly was the closest thing to a sure-fire win as I had ever seen. It had massive critical appraise from all sides of journalism, the President of the United fucking States declared it the best album of the year, it dominated Album of the Year charts across all journalism sites, it had a song that became the anthem for the #BlackLivesMatter movement, it had cultural impact on a scale that Taylor Swift would beg to have.

It was the one to beat.

1989 shouldn't have won because it did nothing for the cultural zeitgeist. It sparked a conversation royalties, sure, but what else did it do? Have a slickly made set of music videos? Had a star-studded remix of a song with 2 second cameos? What the fuck did Taylor Swift's album do that Kendrick's didn't do better?

Taylor's album was mainstream pop suitable for the most banal audiences. Kendrick's album was a true attempt at artistry, addressing complex themes while Taylor talks about her image as a serial dater and love and shots fired at Katy Perry. It couldn't hold a candle to TPaB.

The voters ARE out of touch, and I hope nay I pray someone talks about this tomorrow. Because what happened here is a travesty on a scale that the Grammys should wish never happens again. I hope articles and articles are written on this bullshit, and I hope the Academy gets eviscerated. They gave the wrong album the title, and I hope they know that by tomorrow.

Completely agree, and I don't like either album.

Rembrandt

Banned
Schattenjäger;195443195 said:
I really think it would be minimal
Serious music lovers could care less about the Grammys

Serious movie lovers could care less about the Oscars but #OscarsSoWhite is a thing, isn't it?

hughesta

Banned
Because they are.

Look, I didn't even enjoy TPaB on the same magnitude as others did, but come on!

To Pimp a Butterfly was the closest thing to a sure-fire win as I had ever seen. It had massive critical appraise from all sides of journalism, the President of the United fucking States declared it the best album of the year, it dominated Album of the Year charts across all journalism sites, it had a song that became the anthem for the #BlackLivesMatter movement, it had cultural impact on a scale that Taylor Swift would beg to have.

It was the one to beat.

1989 shouldn't have won because it did nothing for the cultural zeitgeist. It sparked a conversation royalties, sure, but what else did it do? Have a slickly made set of music videos? Had a star-studded remix of a song with 2 second cameos? What the fuck did Taylor Swift's album do that Kendrick's didn't do better?

Taylor's album was mainstream pop suitable for the most banal audiences. Kendrick's album was a true attempt at artistry, addressing complex themes while Taylor talks about her image as a serial dater and love and shots fired at Katy Perry. It couldn't hold a candle to TPaB.

The voters ARE out of touch, and I hope nay I pray someone talks about this tomorrow. Because what happened here is a travesty on a scale that the Grammys should wish never happens again. I hope articles and articles are written on this bullshit, and I hope the Academy gets eviscerated. They gave the wrong album the title, and I hope they know that by tomorrow.
thank you.

Because they are.

It was the one to beat.

Cultural impact is not the dominant factor for an awards show that has traditionally rewarded success over all.

JeTmAn81

Because they are.

It was the one to beat.

1989 had hooks, and you can't beat a good hook.

Azalean

Banned
Maybe Kendrick's Next Album can win AOTY

89556-macklemore-smile-gif-tumblr-Im-sJRZ.gif

Because they are.

It was the one to beat.

This is a truly great post. I never cared about the Grammys personally but it's a big award and it means something and it would mean something if TPAB won. I can't believe people are talking about the "salt" in this thread while ignoring the whole context. I'm not salty, I'm fucking disgusted at something I don't even care about, so that's how shitty this fucking thing fucking is.

Why is it a fuck you? Do you really think 60 year old white (and black) people are going to like a rap album more than a pop or r&b or rock album? I'd bet money Alabama Shakes and Stapleton got more votes than TPAB. The voters are predominantly out of step with hip hop.

And to go further, Taylor's album sold a lot of records and dominated radio. The major Grammy awards almost always go to major label releases that dominate terrestrial radio (unless they give it to a faux indie artist like Beck or Arcade Fire). Kendrick's album sold well but had little to no radio presence, even on urban stations.

If any rapper is going to win AOTY in the next 5 years it'll be Drake.

That's the wrong attitude to have. Don't just resign yourself to the Grammy's bullshit. Get mad. Get angry. Get irritated at the continual lack of recognition the Grammy's continues to give to the artists who deserve it. Don't just admit the Grammys are shit and then do nothing about it.

Get mad! Start writing about their bullshit. The only way shit gets done in this country is when people are irritated enough to start expressing themselves over it. What the Grammys did tonight is the straw that broke my fucking back.

Sure, you can be happy Kendrick won 5 awards and be done with it. Or you can say "Why the fuck didn't he win Album of the Year? Or Song of the Year?" and challenge the Grammys on their shit.

Kendrick would've had a huge impact on the cultural norms had he won the Grammy for best album of the year tonight. However this has happened, time and time again at the Grammy's for decades now where the albums which had the most cultural impact failed to win. Where the best singles were shafted. It's the same with the Oscars and the Emmy's.

People never cared that much about these award shows after a few days and if they did, there should've been a change by now. If this is the start of people pushing for change, it better be now. I'm personally sick of hearing about this every year in a rinse and repeat fashion.

Best wishes.

Rembrandt

Banned
Schattenjäger;195443693 said:
See again I disagree

Music is that much more subjective

And this is coming from someone who hates her Bad Blood song with such passion

Doesn't have anything to do with how substantial him getting a Grammy would have been for this CD, though. Especially right now.

Cultural impact is not the dominant factor for an awards show that has traditionally rewarded success over all.

Success overall? Well I only see two ways you can be successful with an album:

1)Sell well
2)Critical Acclaim

I think it's pretty fair to say that sales shouldn't be factored in here. So that leaves critical acclaim. Just searched both albums on metacritic, and TPAB has a 96. 1989 on the other hand has a 76.

These aren't two niche albums that only 10 journalists have reviewed. The critics agreed. As far as I'm concerned, a successful album WILL have a cultural impact, in some form or another. The grammys fucked up. I think 1989 is solid and is actually in my cars CD player for some pop if I'm ever in the mood. But in no way does it deserve AOTY when it's competing against TPAB.

am-i-out-of-touch-no-its-the-children-who-are-wrong.jpg

More people bought her album. Like it or not she's more popular, and appeals to a wider audience. The grammys almost always play it safe. Brace yourself, because next year Adele will win.

jetsetrez

Lmao, this thread is like when a console exclusive doesn't get the scores gaming side wants. A Metacritic screencap was even posted. Hahaha.

Because they are.

It was the one to beat.

Bruh, people can like what they want. Some people liking some pop music over Kendrick isn't a social injustice. TPAB is my second favorite album of the year, I don't need it to win an award to know it's great, nor does it "deserve" to win to validate a message or social commentary.

Pavaloo

what about when arcade fire beat bieber or when beck beat beyonce? the latter of both situations were both clearly more mainstream, popular, successful, etc.

do they play it safe? i guess, maybe? there's no consistency to the logic of 'they choose the safest most successful record.'

That's the wrong attitude to have. Don't just resign yourself to the Grammy's bullshit. Get mad. Get angry. Get irritated at the continual lack of recognition the Grammy's continues to give to the artists who deserve it. Don't just admit the Grammys are shit and then do nothing about it.

Get mad! Start writing about their bullshit. The only way shit gets done in this country is when people are irritated enough to start expressing themselves over it. What the Grammys did tonight is the straw that broke my fucking back.

Sure, you can be happy Kendrick won 5 awards and be done with it. Or you can say "Why the fuck didn't he win Album of the Year? Or Song of the Year?" and challenge the Grammys on their shit.

Get mad and angry over a subjective insider awards show that regular people validate for some reason? Why? I'm related to a Grammy voter, I know some others. They couldn't care less about multiple genres, especially rap and metal. They vote based on name recognition, sales, radio, etc. Taylor Swift is basically the personification of what the Grammys are.

Taylor Swift sold the most, took on streaming music companies, and dominated radio with an accessible album old people can tap their feet to. Kendrick Lamar made a dense, critically acclaimed rap album with little to no melody, no radio songs, and no simplicity. I know many of the voters appreciated the jazzy, funky production but they could do without the rapping. Which is largely how I feel as well.

At the end of the day Butterfly, while culturally relevant, wasn't even the best rap album of 2015. 56 Nights was. And DS2 is in stores now.

kendrid

Banned
Because they are.

It was the one to beat.

I agree with you, but the voters and majority of music listeners are not sophisticated and they prefer Taylor. It has always been this way. Pop wins over culturally significant music. Music shows are about advertising and money and they need viewers and ad revenue. Taylor has over 1 billion Youtube views vs Kendrick maybe hundreds of millions (just guessing, no easy way to tell). It is all about money, not talent.

Pavaloo

Sufjan Stevens deserved AOTY too with Carrie & Lowell. That and Kendrick honestly.

Sufjan's label is actually independent (looking at you Macklemore) in that they're not a part of the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) so he will never be put forward for one. Don't think he gives a shit anyway lol

I agree with you, but the voters and majority of music listeners are not sophisticated and they prefer Taylor. It has always been this way. Pop wins over culturally significant music. Music shows are about advertising and money and they need viewers and ad revenue. Taylor has over 1 billion Youtube views vs Kendrick maybe hundreds of millions (just guessing, no easy way to tell). It is all about money, not talent.

Then, don't bill yourself as a barometer of quality. Don't have the tagline "Witness Greatness." Many people, me included, tend to see the Grammys as a measure of quality not as a measure of marketing power and sales potential. If so, then bill your awards shows as the Billboard™ Sales Awards. Don't make it appear that your show awards quality when it very blatantly awards money-makers.

Lmao, this thread is like when a console exclusive doesn't get the scores gaming side wants. A Metacritic screencap was even posted. Hahaha.

Bruh, people can like what they want. Some people liking some pop music over Kendrick isn't a social injustice. TPAB is my second favorite album of the year, I don't need it to win an award to know it's great, nor does it "deserve" to win to validate a message or social commentary.

It may not matter to you, but think about it in the larger view. If TPaB won, it would be a validation of hip-hop as a tool for social change, of impact. It would validate the work of people of Killer Mike and Kendrick, people using music as an avenue for societal change. It would show the world that an album as unabashedly black as TPaB is could be recognized in a world that tends to disadvantage African-Americans in ways that no other minority faces. It would be a statement that would overall have a positive impact. Maybe I'm just delusional, but TPaB winning would have been a seminal moment for both hip-hop and music as a medium for change. You're right in that it doesn't need awards to be great or to show its message is real, but it should have gotten one to reflect the unanimous praise it received and social impact it had for an album. It showed the true potential of an album's impact, and it lost to a hyper-polished slickly made collection of singles that sold well.

Right now, there is a divide between true artistic music and music made to sell, and the Grammys could be a tool to reconcile that divide. But it doesn't and continues to reward legacy acts and pop stars.

Just my two cents before I head to sleep.

Rembrandt

Banned
It may not matter to you, but think about it in the larger view. If TPaB won, it would be a validation of hip-hop as a tool for social change, of impact. It would validate the work of people of Killer Mike and Kendrick, people using music as an avenue for societal change. It would show the world that an album as unabashedly black as TPaB is could be recognized in a world that tends to disadvantage African-Americans in ways that no other minority faces. It would be a statement that would overall have a positive impact. Maybe I'm just delusional, but TPaB winning would have been a seminal moment for both hip-hop and music as a medium for change. You're right in that it doesn't need awards to be great or to show its message is real, but it should have gotten one to reflect the unanimous praise it received and social impact it had for an album. It showed the true potential of an album's impact, and it lost to a hyper-polished slickly made collection of singles that sold well.

Right now, there is a divide between true artistic music and music made to sell, and the Grammys could be a tool to reconcile that divide. But it doesn't and continues to reward legacy acts and pop stars.

Great post and it's a shame so many people, including some that like the album, can't see this.

burgervan

Hip hop doesn't need validation. Especially from the fucking Grammys.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Because they are.

It was the one to beat.

Bless this post

Guys guys guys.

When's the last time anyone thought to him or herself "Man, the thing is, Raising Sand was just a better record than In Rainbows cuz it won the Grammy's for best album."

Get real.

Full disclosure, I like Raising Sand. A lot.

So is this worse than Macklemore?

Nah. 1989 is a perfectly serviceable pop record for your 13 year old daughter's annual October sleepover with Courtney, Becca, and Madison. By all means, give it to the demo that still buys music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom