• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 58th Grammy Awards |OT| Witness Greatness tonight at 8 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunnyBear

Have you listened to hip-hop in the passed year fam?

YOU say that 1989 has cultural impact (of what kind I'm still not sure) and yet in comparison the "Kendrick Lamar thing" didn't get the award but we shouldn't feel bad or anything because thats not taking away from it at all. Right...

Wait...MMLP2 is the last album you-
...oh, ok...

You're coming across pretty dismissive of other people's tastes here.

And yes, you paraphrased my thoughts perfectly and yes, I continue to think it doesn't take away from the album. Your putting too much into an award show.

You couldn't move for Taylor Swift down here basically all year. All her shows were EVENTS. She created a very popular album and did so while projecting an empowering message for women. A lot of the songs carry messages, and whether you think they're fluffy or whatever, they undeniably resonate with the younger generation. Positive messaging/believe in yourself/ignore the hate/respect yourself, etc. She maintains a clean image, doesn't use sex to sell and parents love her because she projects a good role-model for kids.

She has global cultural impact.

Ekai

And yes, you paraphrased my thoughts perfectly and yes, I continue to think it doesn't take away from the album. Your putting too much into an award show.

You couldn't move for Taylor Swift down here basically all year. All her shows were EVENTS. She created a very popular album and did so while projecting an empowering message for women. A lot of the songs carry messages, and whether you think they're fluffy or whatever, they undeniably resonate with the younger generation. Positive messaging/believe in yourself/ignore the hate/respect yourself, etc. She maintains a clean image, doesn't use sex to sell and parents love her because she projects a good role-model for kids.

Truth in words.

Chinner

Banned
1989 redefined music as we know it. It also helped the white race through a particular bad year, where everybody wanted to make the whites the bad guys. It tackled the subjects that no one wanted to discuss, and highlights how 1989 was the best years for the whites.

To pimp a butterfly is just another gangsta rap album. It's already forgotten. Frankly when Swift does rap she blows Lamar out the water.

hidys

The only cultural impact Taylor Swift had down in these parts was caused by a very bored Buzzfeed journalist during the Hottest 100 poll.

BunnyBear

They were always a popularity contest. If you watch the Grammy's expecting your favorite personal music/music with a lot of nuance and depth to win, most of the time most of those albums aren't even going to be acknowledged by these people in the first place.

That said, I never really cared for Kendrick's album and T Swizzle's handling of haters is admirable, frankly. Especially in a world that constantly gossips about women in positions such as hers. So, eh.

Exactly, particularly the second part. It might not be earth-shatteringly original but you can't deny she is well-regarded for teaching kids to brush off the hate and be yourself. She's done well to rise above it, overcome the sexism from all directions (like rap, well done Kanye...) and all the while make fucking decent music that appeals to shitloads of people.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
1989 redefined music as we know it. It also helped the white race through a particular bad year, where everybody wanted to make the whites the bad guys. It tackled the subjects that no one wanted to discuss, and highlights how 1989 was the best years for the whites.

To pimp a butterfly is just another gangsta rap album. It's already forgotten. Frankly when Swift does rap she blows Lamar out the water.

1227.gif

Don't talk about being dismissive when you just posted this

No, Australia.

What cultural impact did the Kendrick Lamar thing have? Like is said I'd never fucking heard of it before today.

It's a two way street and it would be great if you didn't refer to him as an object of no importance.

Rembrandt

Banned
From what everyone is saying it was a rallying point for the black community last year. Personally I wasn't aware of it, but that's hardly surprising. The last album I downloaded was MMLP2...

My point is I don't think it's cultural relevance will be lessened by the fact it didn't win a fucking Grammy. I think you're overstating how important that award is to it becoming revered as a cultural cornerstone.

My point is that winning the Grammy would have done a fucking lot for its cultural relevance and impact upon his community, and the people the CD it resonated with. This is the same CD that had people wondering if it was too black that had a song used through black lives matter protests that investigated the mind of a black guy in the ghetto that feels conflicted by police murders while he's gang banging. The same CD that's telling black people to stop arguing over complexion. We don't get a lot of CDs like this that get as far into the public mainstream as it did. Especially in the midst of everything going on. It would have cemented it as a cultural cornerstone.

He goes to schools and listens to the kids. Tries to teach and inspire. He goes back to Compton. He tries to improve. For those people to see someone like him not only get mainstream success but to get the biggest accolade you can get in music, it would probably mean a lot. He just got the key to the city. he's been dubbed a generational icon.

Rap doesn't have a lot of people like this in his position. It's discouraging to see such a powerful CD get an award snatched from it by a pop CD. It's discouraging to see it after its happened so many times. After so many recent conversations about black people not getting the recognition for things. There was the best opportunity to change it. To incite a conversation with one of the most audaciously black CDs recently, but nah.

I'm sure we'll still get thinkpieces but certain people can ignore them now because best rap CD doesn't seem as prestigious as album of the year.

breakfuss

Ahh, I thought you were saying he was using his VMA interrupt as the reason. My bad.

I believe that is what's he's referencing yes, lol. That moment will live in infamy. But clearly (as you mentioned) she was already established and "famous" at that point. Kanye is just being an ass.

CloudWolf

Meghan Trainor won best new artist? Yikes.

Then again, I disagree with almost every winner here except Kendrick and Alabama Shakes.

Hip-hop gets plenty of respect from the Grammys. Televised performances, major awards, major nominations, etc. It also gets plenty of respect from academia and reputed publications. It also gets regularly played on radio and in clubs. It's widely considered a hip, cool genre, and chances are your friends won't complain if you play it in the car.

Metal is the real genre that doesn't get respect, from the Grammys or anyone else. As someone who is a fan of both, the persecution complex of some hip-hop fans is laughable to me. Like, maybe if you're a fan of technical rap or something like that I could get where you're coming from. But Kanye? Kendrick? The music press rides their nuts like there's no tomorrow. "Genius" and "poet" are thrown around liberally. Their albums sell well, their videos have a bajillion hits, they headline major festivals, get performance time on major shows, etc.

This isn't even a case of Grammys shafting black artists. There are so many mainstream classic albums by white artists that have won zero Grammys. Dark Side of the Moon, all of Bob Dylan's '60s albums (despite being widely considered the voice of his generation at the time), all of the Rolling Stones '60s/'70s albums, the list goes on. TPaB won five Grammys. That's "zero respect" to you?

Kendrick won his four of his five grammy's in the rap category you know his category and his other grammy was a win with Taylor swift. Once outside of the rap category To Pimp A Butterfly did get no respect.

BunnyBear

Don't talk about being dismissive when you just posted this

It's a two way street and it would be great if you didn't refer to him as an object of no importance.

Did I? I said I'd never heard of him in response to a comment about cultural impact. My point being that Taylor was global so it arguably had a greater global cultural impact. I was never dismissive of his album or the man himself. I like him, he was great in Bad Blood.

breakfuss

Bunnybear, friend, I don't mean to pile on but are you going to explain the impact of 1989?

Just realizing that J. Cole wasn't even nominated for anything...but he went platinum... Grammy logic...

I think he was, actually. That Jeremih song and Forest Hills were nominated.

Rembrandt

Banned
Did I? I said I'd never heard of him in response to a comment about cultural impact. My point being that Taylor was global so it arguably had a greater global cultural impact. I was never dismissive of his album or the man himself. I like him, he was great in Bad Blood.

you trolling so hard.

Just realizing that J. Cole wasn't even nominated for anything...but he went platinum... Grammy logic...

he was nominated for best rap performance and best rap album.

Bunnybear, friend, I don't mean to pile on but are you going to explain the impact of 1989?

cfkvdbyi6pcm6op3ywex.gif

brushing the haters off.

cdyhybrid

you've convinced me. none of those cds get the credit they deserve. this is exactly the same situation and i can't believe rap fans are feeling persecuted when TPAB sold >800,000 copies when DSotM has only sold 50 million. I mean, who's really not getting no respect here?

I might have missed something, but Dark Side of the Moon probably didn't get nominated because this was the 2016 Grammy Awards, not the 1974 Grammy Awards.

Ekai

My point is that winning the Grammy would have done a fucking lot for its cultural relevance and impact upon his community, and the people the CD it resonated with. This is the same CD that had people wondering if it was too black that had a song used through black lives matter protests that investigated the mind of a black guy in the ghetto that feels conflicted by police murders while he's gang banging. The same CD that's telling black people to stop arguing over complexion. We don't get a lot of CDs like this that get as far into the public mainstream as it did. Especially in the midst of everything going on. It would have cemented it as a cultural cornerstone.

He goes to schools and listens to the kids. Tries to teach and inspire. He goes back to Compton. He tries to improve. For those people to see someone like him not only get mainstream success but to get the biggest accolade you can get in music, it would probably mean a lot. He just got the key to the city. he's been dubbed a generational icon.

Rap doesn't have a lot of people like this in his position. It's discouraging to see such a powerful CD get an award snatched from it by a pop CD. It's discouraging to see it after its happened so many times. After so many recent conversations about black people not getting the recognition for things. There was the best opportunity to change it. To incite a conversation with one of the most audaciously black CDs recently, but nah.

I'm sure we'll still get thinkpieces but certain people can ignore them now because best rap CD doesn't seem as prestigious as album of the year.

I could make the same argument about some of my favorite folk artists, jazz artists, rock artists, etc. etc. but I think it's better to see the worth all music has rather than to make it a dichotomy of some weird us v. them.

You seem to be actively denying the merits of 1989's writing in regards to how it inspires and powers-up women. Who, just like african-americans, still have to deal with loads of shit on a day to day basis. Point is, both albums had important things to state. Whether you want to accept that or not doesn't really matter. TPAB's cultural worth still remains whether it wins some award or not. The Grammy's are just that. An award in what is largely a popularity contest. Similar to American Idol, winning it doesn't really matter. Many runner-ups/non Grammy nominated albums are still talked about decades later. Any piece of music can incite conversation, regardless of how much it was acknowledged.

Majmun

Don't think impact is important when chosing album of the year.

Beyoncé's BEYONCÉ had way more cultural impact than that obscure Beck album. BEYONCÉ sold more and reviewed better.

I don't know what the criteria is for winning AOTY Grammy.

Kendrick was global too, his album may be talking about US issues but he was still acknowledge overseas. You not having heard of it doesn't change that.

cdyhybrid

I could make the same argument about some of my favorite folk artists, jazz artists, rock artists, etc. etc. but I think it's better to see the worth all music has rather than to make it a dichotomy of some weird us v. them.

You seem to be actively denying the merits of 1989's writing in regards to how it inspires and powers-up women. Who, just like african-americans, still have to deal with loads of shit on a day to day basis. Point is, both albums had important things to state. Whether you want to accept that or not doesn't really matter. TPAB's cultural worth still remains whether it wins some award or not. The Grammy's are just that. An award in what is largely a popularity contest. Similar to American Idol, winning it doesn't really matter. Many runner-ups/non Grammy nominated albums are still talked about decades later. Any piece of music can incite conversation, regardless of how much it was acknowledged.

Yeah, taking subliminal shots at Katy Perry over some petty bullshit is so empowering.

Ekai

Kendrick won his four of his five grammy's in the rap category you know his category and his other grammy was a win with Taylor swift. Once outside of the rap category To Pimp A Butterfly did get no respect.

He was nominated for album of the year.. If that's not "Respect" as far as the Grammy's go, I don't see how else your mind could be swayed.

Well, they and I kinda already covered what it's significance is.

you trolling so hard.

Ahh, and there are the accusations of trolling all over individual views.

Yeah, taking subliminal shots at Katy Perry over some petty bullshit is so empowering.

Ignoring all of the songs in 1989 or what the lyrics themselves are in the very song you reference for your own agenda really doesn't amount to much of any argument.

Anyways, it's fine if you never heard of an artist before it's not a crime. But when you deliberately come with some shit calling someone "it" you wont be taken seriously.

Anyways no hate on Taylor but the album itself while solid does have some holes especially in the lyrical content. Out Of The Woods is straight up repetition.

Rembrandt

Banned
I might have missed something, but Dark Side of the Moon probably didn't get nominated because this was the 2016 Grammy Awards, not the 1974 Grammy Awards.

lmao.

are you serious about that weird us v. them thing, though?

I'm gonna keep it real, I'm not even gonna argue or discuss the merits of 1989 because this is a bullshit conversation, honestly.

Ignoring all of the songs in 1989 or what the lyrics themselves are in the very song you reference for your own agenda really doesn't amount to much of any argument.

Taylor Swift said:
yeah, with pictures in frames of kisses on cheeks
Tell her how you must have lost your mind
When you left her all alone and never told her why
And that's how it works
That's how you lost the girl

wow.

Ekai

are you serious about that weird us v. them thing, though?

I'm gonna keep it real, I'm not even gonna argue or discuss the merits of 1989 because this is a bullshit conversation, honestly.

You're the one making it a weird us v. them thing in the first place.

Ahh, so discussing the merits of music that treats women positively and asks them to consider themselves and their own worth is bullshit. Especially in a society that still treats women horribly. Got it. It's not like one can't acknowledge both albums have important things to say, no, of course not.

breakfuss

He was nominated for album of the year.. If that's not "Respect" as far as the Grammy's go, I don't see how else your mind could be swayed.

Well, they and I kinda already covered what it's significance is.

LOL, there was no way they couldn't nominate it. TPAB is one of the best reviewed albums of all time. It's ranked #1 on countless 2015 end-lists. It broke Spotify records. A nomination was a given and means nothing.

Ok, so the impact of 1989 is female empowerment? And, bunnybear, you're co-signing? I'll have to take a listen and see if I come to the same conclusion.

cdyhybrid

So is brushing off the fact that TayTay makes girl-power-feminism-is-great-we-should-help-our-fellow-women-instead-of-tearing-them-down a key theme in her music and then is quick to try and tear down Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj over perceived slights. But it's all just opinions in the end, so it's all good.

So is brushing off the fact that TayTay makes girl-power-feminism-is-great-we-should-help-our-fellow-women-instead-of-tearing-them-down a key theme in her music and then is quick to try and tear down Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj over perceived slights. But it's all just opinions in the end, so it's all good.
Yeah. Pretty sure they did have beef. Isn't a song by Swift directly aimed at Perry?

BunnyBear

LOL, there was no way they couldn't nominate it. TPAB is one of the best reviewed albums of all time. It's ranked #1 on countless 2016 end-lists. It broke Spotify records. A nomination was a given and means nothing.

Ok, so the impact of 1989 is female empowerment? And, bunnybear, you're co-signing? I'll have to take a listen and see if I come to the same conclusion.

Yes sir. Keen to hear your thoughts when you get a chance. Her 'empowerment' thing also extends to her live shows when she does those monologues about picking yourself up/believing in yourself/fighting through pain, etc. Aside from the catchy tunes, I think her positive empowerment message is one of the main reasons why she has transcended being just another cute pop star.

BunnyBear

That's up to your perception really. She's never directly implied the Katy thing, people inferred it and ran with it. The Minaj thing was a misunderstanding she later apologised for I think. Regardless, even if these things were true and proper, does that really take much sheen off everything else she had done for the cause?

Ekai

LOL, there was no way they couldn't nominate it. TPAB is one of the best reviewed albums of all time. It's ranked #1 on countless 2016 end-lists. It broke Spotify records. A nomination was a given and means nothing.

If you think respect means you have to always get your way (in this case TPAB winning the category it was nominated for) you have a long to go in regards to understanding respect. The album was nominated for the general category that all albums go into. And within it's own category it won as well.

Yes. This is an acknowledged fact about the album.

Also, as I already stated, winning something like this is akin to winning American Idol. It doesn't mean you'll be remembered or talked about. I am not saying that as a knock to any past or current winners. But for those who are freaked out over TPAB not winning, plenty of albums that haven't had Grammy's are still discussed to this day. Many way more so than some existing Grammy winners. It's worth as music isn't gone just because it didn't get an award.

Rembrandt

Banned
You're the one making it a weird us v. them thing in the first place.

Ahh, so discussing the merits of music that treats women positively and asks them to consider themselves and their own worth is bullshit. Especially in a society that still treats women horribly. Got it. It's not like one can't acknowledge both albums have important things to say, no, of course not.

I'm not even saying 1989 is a bad CD, but this argument is bullshit.

That's up to your perception really. She's never directly implied the Katy thing, people inferred it and ran with it. The Minaj thing was a misunderstanding she later apologised for I think. Regardless, even if these things were true and proper, does that really take much sheen off everything else she had done for the cause?

does she also teach them how to be petty and write hit songs about their ex boyfriends?

It's easy to dismiss 1989 for a multitude of reasons, but it's also somewhat misinformed. 1989 is important because it's a successful example of an artist completely changing genres successfully--Taylor Swift going from a big name Country artist to the Pop Star of the year--as well as the fact that it was the most successful album of the year. The first 5 singles off 1989 were certified multi-platinum, and for about 9 months you couldn't turn on a radio without hearing some of those songs. I think Blank Space may have been playing every 15 minutes around here at one point. Compare that to TPaB, and almost none of the songs off it got consistent airplay. The only song on the album that I can imagine works as a single is King Kunta, and odds are that's not getting thrown on the air.

The US mainstream went nuts for Taylor Swift. Her album went on to sell ~9m copies worldwide, TPaB has yet to crack 1m. 1989 essentially outsold TPaB 10:1, and that's something you cannot ignore. Yes, TPaB was a deep and thoughtful album addressing deep issues, but 1989 was the album the most people listened to last year. At the end of the day the Grammy's is rarely about who most deserves any award (the flute is metal!), and often an industry circle jerk for successful artists.

I like him, he was great in Bad Blood.

Ironically the worst thing he did all year. That was the worst song off 1989 and adding Kendrick Lamar to it just made it sound confused.

cdyhybrid

Nah, I think overall it's a positive because there's a lack of that message in general, despite the blind spots I mentioned above. But if we're measuring things by their social worth/commentary or their empowerment of oppressed communities, Kendrick wins the award ten times out of ten. Seems like a silly argument to make.

It's easy to dismiss 1989 for a multitude of reasons, but it's also somewhat misinformed. 1989 is important because it's a successful example of an artist completely changing genres successfully--Taylor Swift going from a big name Country artist to the Pop Star of the year--as well as the fact that it was the most successful album of the year. The first 5 singles off 1989 were certified multi-platinum, and for about 9 months you couldn't turn on a radio without hearing some of those songs. I think Blank Space may have been playing every 15 minutes around here at one point. Compare that to TPaB, and almost none of the songs off it got consistent airplay. The only song on the album that I can imagine works as a single is King Kunta, and odds are that's not getting thrown on the air.

The US mainstream went nuts for Taylor Swift. Her album went on to sell ~9m copies worldwide, TPaB has yet to crack 1m. 1989 essentially outsold TPaB 10:1, and that's something you cannot ignore. Yes, TPaB was a deep and thoughtful album addressing deep issues, but 1989 was the album the most people listened to last year. At the end of the day the Grammy's is rarely about who most deserves any award (the flute is metal!), and often an industry circle jerk for successful artists.

Ironically the worst thing he did all year. That was the worst song off 1989 and adding Kendrick Lamar to it just made it sound confused.

Taylor Swift was always pop.

Ekai

I'm not even saying 1989 is a bad CD, but this argument is bullshit.

does she also teach them how to be petty and write hit songs about their ex boyfriends?

All I'm continuing to hear from you is that you dislike music that aims to empower women. Cause that's what 1989 was. Did you even listen to anything off of 1989? Or are you just repeating whatever talking point people used to always shit-talk Taylor Swift in the past? I'm not a huge fan of hers or anything but to deny the album for what it is is frankly ridiculous.

BunnyBear

Nah, I think overall it's a positive because there's a lack of that message in general, despite the blind spots I mentioned above. But if we're measuring things by their social worth/commentary or their empowerment of oppressed communities, Kendrick wins the award ten times out of ten. Seems like a silly argument to make.

Taylor Swift was always pop.

Her earlier stuff dripped with the country twang, but it always has elements of pop.

And yeah, fair enough. I'll go download it now. As a big advocate of acknowledging our treatment of the Aboriginal people in Oz, sounds like I'll appreciate its message. You guys have sold it well and that kind of stuff speaks to me.

Rembrandt

Banned

She was a pop star before that with Red and we've already discussed popularity issues.(Beyonce> Beck; Red > RAM; Everyone > Arcade Fire).

All I'm continuing to hear from you is that you dislike music that aims to empower women. Cause that's what 1989 was. Did you even listen to anything off of 1989? Or are you just repeating whatever talking point people used to always shit-talk Taylor Swift in the past? I'm not a huge fan of hers or anything but to deny the album for what it is is frankly ridiculous.

I liked Famous where Kanye West talked about how he empowered Taylor Swift and made her famous.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Taylor Swift sold an unfathomable amount of albums and received fairly good reviews. Ain't no shame losing to her.

I woke up this morning reading that 1989 won AoTY and I was disappointed Kendrick didn't win. Then I went on to read about kendricks performance "he opened with blacker the berry?" I couldn't believe it. Blacker the berry is one of the most politically and racially charged songs I have ever heard. I was already anticipating the fallout. Now I have seen the performance I have no doubt in my mind Kendrick Lamar won the grammy's.

cdyhybrid

Her earlier stuff dripped with the country twang, but it always has elements of pop.

And yeah, fair enough. I'll go download it now. As a big advocate of acknowledging our treatment of the Aboriginal people in Oz, sounds like I'll appreciate its message. You guys have sold it well and that kind of stuff speaks to me.

Enjoy. Just be aware, it's a very dense album. It's not easily digestible and might take multiple listens, especially if you aren't familiar with Kendrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom