• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 8Bitdo SNES30/SFC30 is the best (retro) controller I have ever owned.

When're these schlubs gonna get to making a Genesis/Saturn-style controller? There's tons of classic games that really benefit from 6 face buttons.

When will 8bitdo make bluetooth adapters for the PS1 and 2, I want to use my Dualshocks 3 & 4 on those older systems?

Citing myself

Warning to Switch Users

Having them for like a month( I got two pros) I feel the need to give a warning to Switch users who wants to buy them:

-Using 8bitdo controllers without a Joycon paired/active or any other Nintendo controller is fine.

-If you use any Nintendo controller and the 8bitdo one at the same time, you will feel tremendous lag on the 8bitdo controllers. This happens to a lot of people.

-Pairing these controllers is a bitch, you will have to restart your console numerous time to pair two of these.

I regret buying these controllers so much :(

Justinh

Found a review of the retrousb controller on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWHgWBHmNSA

Looks pretty slick. Quality control was an issue though (the seam was loose on the one side of the controller).

I'm not sure what's up with that loose seam thing on the left side.

I took mine apart last night and when I put it back together and tightened the screws tightly the DPad wouldn't work properly. Up-diagonals simply would not register at all, and you'd need to press really tightly to get continuous left/right inputs. Loosening the screws solved that issue, but it left the controller feeling... wobbly.

This morning I noticed that I left out a couple of teeny-tiny (seriously, really small. I'm glad I didn't lose them) washers that I had taken out so I could completely remove a couple screws (one of them was holding the screw in place). After putting the washers back in and tightening the screws as much as I could, I didn't have the dpad issues anymore, but the left side is a tiny bit loose, like I can pull it apart a teeny amount on the left side but it ain't coming apart or anything.

I wonder if it's supposed to be this way because of how the Dpad works.

I've beaten Super C a half-dozen times since I've gotten it and I really, really like it. My hands don't get nearly as sore as they used to with an official controller. It does take a bit to get used to the "clacky" dpad, but I have had zero issues like where I'm trying to duck and shoot and end up shooting diagonal down and get killed like what happened to me with the 8bitdo every now and then.

I ordered one of the retrousb controllers despite the steep price tag. Fuck it, I've bought an OLED and an Analogue NT mini already, might as well perfect the setup.

So, I like it a lot - it is very clicky but performs great.

Right now it hangs my Analogue NT mini when I plug it in - it took me about 15 minutes to figure out what was going on. NT hangs with the A symbol (like it does during boot or shut down). Worth noting. I'm on kevtris' March 31st jailbreak firmware.

If you have this combo, plug in the controller receiver, then boot up the mini. Seems to work fine then. I'll keep testing.

I'll cross post in the Analogue NT mini thread so folks there are aware of it.

I'm gonna try to post a full review at some point. I have a NES->USB converter to test with my fledgling retropie, and a nes->nes classic converter to test also.

Mine doesn't have the seam problem either. Looks fine.

I liked it enough I ordered another one. These types of niche products have a tendency to go in/out of stock for months.

Now we need a SNES controller just like it! :)

Justinh

I liked it enough I ordered another one. These types of niche products have a tendency to go in/out of stock for months.
Yeah, I think I'll be ordering another one on payday. I mean, just look at the AVS, keeps getting pushed back because of issues from the factory or something. Makes me not feel bad for paying a high premium on ebay back in March (plus I was in a "no Classic Edition" anger).

With an original NES controller, my hands get really sore and tired after bosses in Super C. With the new controller with its strange wings, I was able to play for much, much longer than I usually do.
4KKGoVS.jpg
I still only got to 4th place on the leaderboards for Super C, though... Dammit!

The only issue I've had with it is I thought it was dropping inputs pretty frequently once, turns out I had left the turbo function on accidentally and didn't turn it off fully. Problem went away when I realized that. That's a weird thing that happens with the NT mini.

hitgirl

I'm thinking about getting a SNES30 controller as I currently use a SNES controller with a USB hub to play retro games on my PC. I'd definitely like to go wireless by just picking this up and a bluetooth dongle.

Tayaya

I just got an NES30 Pro last weekend. I am sad that I've been trying to play retro games using anything else now just to not spend $40 on one of these. It's so good that a second one (FC30 Pro) is on the way already.

Got myself two nes30 pro and just noticed the significant input lag that is introduced when you pair them alongside a joy con. Was in love with these controllers and bought them as a cheap way of playing local 4 players mario kart, but it seems that I'll jut send them back and get an extra pair of joy cons.

Sent an email to 8bitdo just in case they have a fix in the works.

Sad :/

next time I'll read the posts more thoroughly.

BlakeofT

Got myself two nes30 pro and just noticed the significant input lag that is introduced when you pair them alongside a joy con. Was in love with these controllers and bought them as a cheap way of playing local 4 players mario kart, but it seems that I'll jut send them back and get an extra pair of joy cons.

Sent an email to 8bitdo just in case they have a fix in the works.

Sad :/

next time I'll read the posts more thoroughly.
I'm sad to read posts like this.

Do these controllers work well on PC?

They say they work great. In total they are great (although I've used them only for like 2 hours). Was looking forward to playing some mario kart with my wife and it was then that I first connected one NES30 pro with a joy con and I noticed the lag. We are expecting guests next week and wanted to find an affordable way of playing 4p mario kart. Now I guess I have to go for the two joycons (which are hard to come by in the uk).

Might keep one NES30 for single player though.

I'll come back to you if the customer support reply to my email

Big Nikus

Did they fix the diagonals for the snes style controllers?

What was there to fix ? Wonky input ? I received my controller the other day and I haven't noticed any issue with the diagonals but I remember seeing people complain about that. I should try with Street Fighter 2, so far I've only played Super Metroid :p

PMS341

Well, I was planning on ordering the NES model for my Switch (since Sonic Mania comes out next week!) but the input lag issue is pretty sad to hear. Has a timeframe been given for the workaround or fix?

They responded to my email by basically telling me that their technical team are working on a solution. I don't really know when that solution would be available. I'll request a timeframe, just in case they want to provide me with one (although I doubt it).

Let me stress out that the input lag is noticeable only when a joy con is functioning alongside the 8bitdo controller. Me and my wife just played 4 rounds in mario kart by only using the 8bitdos and they were functioning exceptionally well.

I'm thinking of keeping both for a week or two, Amazon UK gives me 28 days to return them anyway so there is no reason to rush it.

Fancolors

What was there to fix ? Wonky input ? I received my controller the other day and I haven't noticed any issue with the diagonals but I remember seeing people complain about that. I should try with Street Fighter 2, so far I've only played Super Metroid :p
Try doing charge motions quickly and you will notice it will sometimes give you a wrong jump or crouch.

Aside fighting games, their controllers d-pad are fine.

Is there noticeable input lag with a paired Pro Controller as well?
Don't own a pro controller myself but I read that others had the same issue even with pros, so yes...

I also read that the SNES30 and SFC30 (non pro versions) don't have any issues, so If you don't care about analogue sticks it might be worth a try.

Will report back as soon as I have any news from 8bitdo.

linko9

how's their arcade stick ?

I've got the FC30 pro stick (with the Sanwa parts), it's great. Got it so I could use a good stick with the SNES, which it does perfectly using their wireless receiver. Build quality is pretty good, not amazing (the plastic around the sides is not the best quality, but the rest is very solid). Parts are indeed genuine, easy to rewire or replace if you wish. Also have used it with PC, PS3, PSTV, with no real problems. The tiny start and select buttons are awkward to use if you need quick access to them, but that's not a problem for SNES, where the L2 and R2 double as start and select. Buttons are not software reassignable, which is a bit of a bummer, but again it's easy enough to just rewire them if you need to. Overall extremely happy with it.

No timeframe apparently.

Suggested providing the option of using them wired via USB as that would presumably bypass the problem caused (again, presumably) by Bluetooth interference. Doubt they'll give me something more concrete.

Thinking of buying two horipads for 4 player local coops (only £54 per couple) and keep one SFC30 pro for solo retro/ platform games.

What a bummer.

Big Nikus

Damn why don't they sell a NES controller with two face buttons ? Having four looks weird, I want the "real" thing to play NES games.
I'm really happy with the SNES controller and was ready to order another one for NES games but nah. Are there other good NES controllers for PC and Recalbox ?

As this seems to be the official 8bitdo thread, any word on dpad tweaks for the new models?

I found the NES30 diagonals quite flaky. There were some great posts about it in the 8bitdo forums (including pics of the inside), but they took the forums there down.

Yokai

Hey guys, just posting to talk a bit about the DPad situation on the 8bitdo. It turns out that the Super NT is coming out soon and, in preparation, I decided that something had to be done with the 8bitdo dpad.

I own an SF30 and I first noticed DPad issues when playing Megaman 5 on my AVS but at the time chalked it down to me not being used to using the SNES pad. I would constantly get accidental diagonal inputs which would cause me to slide when I intended to jump (a very annoying experience!). It turns out that I wasn't alone with diagonal issues on the pad and it became a huge talking point around the announcement from Analogue. Last night, I decided to try a few rumors and quick fixes floating around the internet.

Before anything, lets talk about good ways to test input. There are a few homebrew roms and utilities out there designed to let you test out button configurations on your platform of choice. If you happen to have access to some arcade games like the street fighter series, you should be able to access the input test screen of your choice. I imagine most arcade games have this type of thing too -- just pick any of those methods that let you clearly see the inputs you are putting in. Another good test that I did involved link to the past, in which I tried to walk and look for cases where link would veer off course slightly from intended (which happened more often with an unmodded controller than I had originally thought.)

Also, open your controller at your own risk. If you don't want to be responsible for your own device, simply do not open it!

Anyway, some of you may have heard the electrical tape rumor floating around the internet and may have been skeptical regarding how much of an effect it would have. I certainly was! I'm here to tell you that it works, and it seems that the reason the dpad has so many accidental diagonal presses is the result of the dpads' center pole element being slightly too short. This may also be why there's so much division on this issue within the community, it could actually be a factory issue and only affect a handful of us. I don't have enough 8bitdo pads to verify that, though.

I've seen some images on the internet that went crazy with tape all over the controller, but honestly I wasn't happy with either the way that looked or how accurate it is in terms of testing. All you have to do is add a single 0.5cm square of electrical tape at the center between the dpad's conductive pads. Obviously avoid covering up any of the conductive pads. The type of tape you use is important because every tape has a different thickness, keep that in mind for later as well. This will prop the dpad up higher which means it requires more action for the metalic pads to connect with the PCB's conductive pads. This will also noticibly make the dpad more "clicky" as a result, which isn't exactly like a SNES controller but may be to some peoples preference anyway. If you launch your input-testing method of choice, you will notice that it is easier to get your left - right - up - down directions without getting any diagonals. Success, sort of...

The issue for me was that this made diagonals pretty difficult to do. This may be different from controller to controller, but it seemed to require very acurate diagonals. Now this may be ideal for some players, and it certainly isn't *impossible*, just a little more tough than I would have liked.

Since I knew what the issue was (the height of the dpad above the pcb) and the rough thickness of the material I used (it was around 0.7mil electrical tape), I decided to test it with a material that was thinner and also adhesive. I tried using a small piece of scotch tape which had roughly half the thickness to test it again. I wouldn't worry about the (very very very small) conductive elements of scotch tape too much but keep it in mind before using this method.

I found that accidental diagonals were still a problem with that method, but it seemed to tame the beast a little bit better.

Anyway, long story short, there is a non-permenant solution to the problem that helps identify how exactly the controller differs from the standard SNES. It may also explain why replacing the pad with the SNES controller dpad also works for some people (I haven't verified this myself yet, but I will try it out this weekend.)

There's definitely a more permanent solution to this problem, and I'll look into it more personally, but I thought I would chime in with the results of my own experimentation based off of the internet rumors. It is surprising how much of a difference a single piece of electical tape can make!

Top Bottom