• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE ABYSS 25th Anniversary Thread of Russian water tentacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that 'making of' special include the scene where the lights went out during a tough shoot and the actors nearly broke the set because of the emotion of it? I don't want to spoil that, but if it's in there... hooooo. That was rough to watch.

It has them talking about it, yes.

YOU BITCH, YOU'VE NEVER GIVEN UP ON ANYTHING IN YOUR LIFE, NOW FIGHT! FIGHT! FIIIIIGHT! FIIIIIIIiiiiiiii*shaking her*iiight....*

Didn't Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio almost die on that movie?

Read the OP.

Both Ed Harris and Cameron almost died on the film. Cameron was in the most danger of death though, unlike Harris, he had to fight the people who were trying to rescue him.

Mastrantonio simply broke down from the toll the filming was taking.

Saw the extended cut on TV years ago. It was awesome.

Put it on Blu-Ray already

I'd pick it up, haven't watched the movie fully actually. After the making of documentary I have a newfound respect for EVERYONE involved. God damn. Also, Cameron is in love with the ocean.

Seriously though, Cameron spending almost 17 hours a day in the tank - even while reviewing dailies.

Dude will always have my respect. Iron willpower. No filmmaker has continually gone through the shit he's put himself through to bring his stuff to the screen.

harris almost drowned on set, had a breakdown soon after. crazy shit.

Harris' drowning incident isn't nearly as bad as Cameron's drowning incident. Cameron had to save himself and swim from the bottom of the tank to the top on no air, while punching out safety divers who kept making him inhale water and trying to stop him from surfacing - because rising that quickly put him at serious risk of blowing his lungs out.

Tesseract

Banned
Harris' drowning incident isn't nearly as bad as Cameron's drowning incident. Cameron had to save himself and swim from the bottom of the tank to the top on no air, while punching out safety divers who kept making him inhale water and trying to stop him from surfacing - because rising that quickly put him at serious risk of blowing his lungs out.

no doubt.

Aselith

Just watched it again a few months ago and the movie is still fantastic and looks great still. If the movie came out today, I'd still say pretty solid special effects.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?

After reading the OP, what I enjoyed most about Cameron's near death experience is that I can clearly see him firing the assistant director and safety diver as soon as he got his bearings.

Abyss might be my favorite Cameron film. I always go back and forth between it and Aliens. The director's cuts.

My ranking:

Aliens: Perfect pacing. Perfect one-liners. Expands the Alien universe in the most creative and successful way possible. Great sequels are supposed to give you not just more of what you want, but also what you didn't even know you wanted. Dials absolutely everything up to 11.

Terminator 2: I don't really mind Edward Furlong. And the T-1000 is one of cinema's greatest villains, so I place it slightly above T1.

The Terminator: Some of the 80s synth music is pretty bad. If you've watched the movie, you'll know which parts I'm talking about. But really dark and moody and otherwise flawless.

True Lies: It's got a bizarre and frankly distasteful second act, but the first and third deliver on a fun and goofy action spoof.

Avatar: A shit script, but hey, the action scenes are still vintage Cameron.

The Abyss: Who knew being underwater could be so boring?

Titanic: James Cameron, why have you forsaken us?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I can appreciate the movie as a craft and the work that went into it but not a huge fan.

dem T-1000 precursor effects tho

Tagyhag

Cameron's best character story.

As a side note, the trailer is still my favorite ever. The intro bit is interesting, but the trailer proper that begins 30 seconds in is just pitch perfect. And that music has been seared in my brain for two decades.

Great trailer, it has a fantastic teaser as well.

The combination of the voiceover, the music, the 80's feel, and my personal fear of the deep ocean comes together perfectly. It's a shame that I wasn't able to watch the movie in the summer of '89.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This movie made drowning my number 1 worst way to die.

I drowned seven years before this came out and it made this tough to watch.
Don't let anyone convince you that drowning is not so bad, peaceful even. Up until the very end it is fear distilled.

The theatrical ending is borderline nonsensical. I wrote this movie off until I saw the extended cut. Probably tied with T2 for best Cameron at this point.

C4Lukins

I remember seeing it twice in the theater on the same day. My Dad took me to it and we loved it so much that we brought the family along for a second go.

I think the perfect version of the film would be somewhere between the runtime of the theatrical and Extended edition. When Ed Harris gets in a debate with the NTI's it goes a bit far. Not Titanic alternate ending far, but far enough.

The Abyss: I SCUBA dive so I'm biased. But the characters are great, the story rolls, great roller coaster. The whole liquid breathing system is a mindfuck.
Ending sucks.

Aliens: Extremely fun but some of the one-liners are too goofy and break the suspension of disbelief. Close to #1 though.

The Terminator: Such a great simple action flick. There are flaws but largely due to the limited budget so I'll excuse them.

Terminator 2: Much better production values that T1 but I liked the Terminator as a villain more. And a little preachy.

Titanic: Fun historical docu-drama (but mostly fictional drama). Not a fan of period love story but the present day part blew my mind.

True Lies: Quite the departure since it works in so much comedy but it works! Tom Arnold is hilarious. The strip scene and cheesy Bill Paxton character are funny. The cheesy Arab characters are a bit much.

Avatar: I'm putting this at the bottom . . . BUT I STILL LOVE THIS MOVIE. It was just a bit long and drawn out. And using 'unobtanium' broke the suspension of disbelief.

Not gonna lie, I actually liked the theatrical cut better.

The added emphasis on the Russian American tension in the directors cut didn't really feel needed to me, or the giant tidal waves the NTIs we're going to kill humanity with. The theatrical cut kept that stuff more in the background and when the directors cut added more of that stuff it took away from the smaller scale, claustraphobic undersea drama and made it more of a "the fate of all mankind in on your shoulders" story in the end.

Between the underlying 80s fear of nuclear holocaust present in Terminator, The Abyss and T2, I'm still kind of sad he's not gonna make Last Train to Hiroshima.

Can someone explain to me why after 17 years of DVD, we have never gotten a proper anamorphic widescreen release of this and True Lies?

I want a blu ray of both real bad, but there hasn't been an anamorphic release of either film and it is a crime.

Wait, my old DVD copies of True Lies and The Abyss Special Edition before HDtv was thing was it? Yeesh.

Wait, my old DVD copies of True Lies and The Abyss Special Edition before HDtv was thing was it? Yeesh.

There's never even been a Behind the Scenes doco for True Lies.

That is a crime. A CRIME.

But what is money when you’re testing the safety of fire-arms by having them fired at your head? Schwarzenegger recalled the type of fanaticism that inspired everybody on the shoot to keep working those long hours for Cameron in one instance:

“There was one thing that blew me away about the guy – there was a particular action scene that required a weapon to be fired in a very tight area. I asked Jim about it, and he said, ‘Well, well find out if it’s safe.’ And he gets in this area and has the weapons guy fire it past his face a couple of times – the fact is, he has balls, man. He’ll do anything.” (John H. Richardson, Premiere Magazine, August 1994)

TDLink

I absolutely love this movie (Director's Cut version of course). The lengths that Cameron went through to shoot this are ridiculous as well. I don't know if I will ever see a big budget film so "real". Simply amazing work.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Like Hertzog's Fitzacarraldo, The Abyss is something to watch and then watch the making of, and then watch again.

Kraftwerk

I...I'm near tears here, you have no idea.

Kraftwerk, I've been looking for the source for this since I was a kid in the early 90's. I can't thank you enough for finding this. :')

This makes me very happy, and you are very welcome.

I have been in the same situation countless times. Hearing something and searching, and searching for it and finding the source, days, months or years later. It is such a cathartic moment.

You wonder why this guy has problems maintaining a steady relationship when the most emotional scene he's ever written, the purest expression of love he's ever managed to capture on screen, features a balding man literally slapping a woman back to life while calling her a bitch in front of a captive, appreciative audience. :)

It's seriously one of the best scenes he's ever written, I'm not kidding though. Probably because it seems to be one of the purest distillations of what makes the guy tick, emotionally.

(I don't think he's sexist. I think he's kinda tone-deaf. But he's so invested in it that you roll with him anyway)

You wonder why this guy has problems maintaining a steady relationship when the most emotional scene he's ever written, the purest expression of love he's ever managed to capture on screen, features a balding man literally slapping a woman back to life while calling her a bitch in front of a captive, appreciative audience. :)

It's seriously one of the best scenes he's ever written, I'm not kidding though. Probably because it seems to be one of the purest distillations of what makes the guy tick, emotionally.

(I don't think he's sexist. I think he's kinda tone-deaf. But he's so invested in it that you roll with him anyway)

How is he tone-deaf?

Lindsay is pretty much Gale Anne Hurd and this whole film seems to be more about his relationship with her. And the scene preceding it (where Lindsay has to talk sense into a stubborn Bud while freezing to death) is just as good.

How is he tone-deaf?

Seriously, dude, c'mon. The whole of Terminator 2 is one great example as to his ability and propensity to drop thudding lines of cornpone out of the mouths of his actors like a cement truck diarrhetically shitting its payload in a thundering glurt.

Lindsay is pretty much Gale Anne Hurd and this whole film seems to be more about his relationship with her.

No shit. That sentence isn't exactly a refutation of the first paragraph you quoted.

This is largely what separates him from Spielberg as a filmmaker - he's got all the finesse of a broken lawn-chair when it comes to the conveying of emotion. It's why, again, his most effective emotional scene in ANY of his films (and it's effective as FUCK, I'm not being facetious about that) features Bud (the Cameron stand-in) literally slapping Lindsay (the Gale Anne Hurd stand-in) back to life.

It's my opinion that The Abyss is actually the best he's ever done at conveying legitimate romance, period. It's part of the reason I count it among his finest films.

Seriously, dude, c'mon. The whole of Terminator 2 is one great example as to his ability and propensity to drop thudding lines of cornpone out of the mouths of his actors like a cement truck diarrhetically shitting its payload in a thundering glurt.

No shit. That sentence isn't exactly a refutation of the first paragraph you quoted.

This is largely what separates him from Spielberg as a filmmaker - he's got all the finesse of a broken lawn-chair when it comes to the conveying of emotion. It's why, again, his most effective emotional scene in ANY of his films (and it's effective as FUCK, I'm not being facetious about that) features Bud (the Cameron stand-in) literally slapping Lindsay (the Gale Anne Hurd stand-in) back to life.

It's my opinion that The Abyss is actually the best he's ever done at conveying legitimate romance, period. It's part of the reason I count it among his best.

You can't really use an emotional scene that works exactly as it should and then call Cameron tone-deaf. You just tried to play it off as if the scene is tonally confused, but that there is so much emotion in it that the audience just rolls with it. I'm arguing that this scene (among many other Cameron scenes) AREN'T tone-deaf.

No, he's not subtle. But he's not tone-deaf either. I love Spielberg just as much as I do Cameron, and you could pull just as many examples of brick-to-the-face delicacy from him - like the entirety of War Horse.

But yes, I agree that The Abyss is easily Cameron best depiction of legitimate romance.

You can't really use an emotional scene that works exactly as it should and then call Cameron tone-deaf.

Sure I can.

I never "tried to play it off" as if the scene was confused at all. I said He's tone-deaf. That's why he's constantly fucking shouting all his emotions at the top of his cinematic lungs. He can't hear otherwise. He's James Hetfield trying to sing Linda Rondstadt.

He's tone-deaf.

Choke it down. :)

whoa, that's wild.

ibiSUj09dOMhPo.gif

whoa, that's wild.

Yeah there has been some pieces online of people who took a trip over to see it.
of course, its a wreck, but all in all, still there to see.

There was a great 90 page making of, 'dancing on the edge of the abyss' or something.
It was a warts and all recollection of the shoot, even down to the removal of the tanks owner from the side of a battleship because of an argument :)

yep, that was it. I still have that Cinefex. its a great read.

In addition, if you want the best version of the movie, the Chinese DVD release of the movie is Anamorphic!
I got a copy in Shanghai a few years ago.
Picture has no heavy black bars:
e83d1db0e1fa806274554c9.png

Yeah there has been some pieces online of people who took a trip over to see it.
of course, its a wreck, but all in all, still there to see.

There was a great 90 page making of, 'dancing on the edge of the abyss' or something.
It was a warts and all recollection of the shoot, even down to the removal of the tanks owner from the side of a battleship because of an argument :)

80 pages. You can find it in a retrospective that Cinefix did. :)

Iceman

Thanks to this thread, just watched it again tonight. I forgot how similar this story is to a screenplay I'm writing currently - in terms of character development; totally different settings/circumstance. But a really great example of how to explore and progress the dynamic relationship between two leads. Culminates amazingly - well, before the alien story resolution/extra act.

Lindsay drowing followed by Bud voluntarily following suit.. just kills me how perfect that progression worked.

Dead Man

Cameron's best character story.

As a side note, the trailer is still my favorite ever. The intro bit is interesting, but the trailer proper that begins 30 seconds in is just pitch perfect. And that music has been seared in my brain for two decades.

They say modern trailers spoil movies, glad I didn't see that back in the day. Hard to separate out what is actually spoilers after you have already seen the movie, but I think most of the plot is in there, in a pretty representative order, too.

geomon

One of the greatest films ever made. I don't care what anyone says otherwise. I still have the original DVD release, the 2 disc Special Edition, non anamorphic. I will never sell it. As for a bluray, been hearing for years that Cameron would take time off to remaster this and True Lies, hasn't happened yet. I've since stopped hoping for it.

sigh, damn I want to watch it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom