• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The algorithm for the youtube homepage sucks

kevm3

A long time ago there was a time when you'd see a bunch of interesting videos outside of what you typically watch, but no more. The home page is absolutely awful now. Why is it recommending me videos from three years ago? Once you've established your categories by clicking on 3 or 4 videos of that type, now you are 'locked in' and that's all you get to see. I rarely find any new, random creators or funny videos.

Sadly, the youtube alternatives suck as well. I think 'prime internet' was maybe 8 years ago.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hmm. It depends. If you go outside your go to "viewing zone" it definitely sucks.

Like yes Mr YouTube I've changed. Thanks. /s

Last edited:

GeekyDad

A long time ago there was a time when you'd see a bunch of interesting videos outside of what you typically watch, but no more. The home page is absolutely awful now. Why is it recommending me videos from three years ago? Once you've established your categories by clicking on 3 or 4 videos of that type, now you are 'locked in' and that's all you get to see. I rarely find any new, random creators or funny videos.

Sadly, the youtube alternatives suck as well. I think 'prime internet' was maybe 8 years ago.
My guess would be it's a similar approach to breeding chickens. Grow as many as you can, sell 'em as young as you can, feed 'em as little as you possibly can get away with.

Garibaldi

I noticed when I got the premium service it started recommending stuff I'm into but a load of them are 30 second shite. Like snippets out of shows or games I'm interested in. Never used to do that. I much prefer long form analysis videos. Which is why I got the premium in the first place cos they were utterly laced with ads.

Rayderism

What I hate is that it will keep showing me vids that I watched already. Every great once in a while it will ask to show you vids outside your.....can't rem the terminology.....normal preferences......or something......but one refresh later, it goes back to the same spread.

Spotify is even worse at recommendations.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I don't mind youtube recommending me old videos, as long as they are interesting.
What I don't like is when it recommends videos I have already seen a few days ago.

But the worst part of youtube today, is the search function. It has gotten so bad, that it's preferable to search with an outside search engine, and filter by videos.

PSYGN

It's just data-driven profit maximization capitalism at work.

Same reason why you're fed a bunch of shit before you get to where you want on streaming services. There was a time where it was still about making end users happy, now the companies are all about making investors happy.

TTOOLL

It suuuuucks! Can't even recommend videos I haven't finished watching recently, they rarely do this. Also, your subscriptions mean SHIT nowadays.

20cent

Banned
I don't mind 3 years old videos... except that YT keeps recommending me videos I've already watched 3 years ago.

Sure once in a while I click on "I'm not interested" or "don't recommend channel" but there should have few videos I haven't seen yet.

I just turn off search history and boom, no YT homepage. Just browse what you're looking for. I've had enough of my kids subs and recommendations cluttering my account(s) thanks.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't mind the age of the videos but the feeling of "if I click on this video, the home page is going to be instantly filled with more of the same.." is off putting. They should make the algorithm more "relaxed".

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
My YouTube algorithm got completely fucked up once I started listening to vids while I fall asleep. If you also do this, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

Top Bottom