• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys drama about KGB spies in DC - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
margo-martindale-04.jpg

Margo Martindale? I hope she's not playing the 'behind the counter helper' character again. I remember her from early Dexter seasons playing an archivist[?]and right this moment watching her in Persons of Interest doing something extremely similar.
What a role to be typecasted into!

Yes I can very well imagine her playing many other roles. But I just can't imagine it.

Graham Yost is an EP on this, and we all know he's fully aware of Margo Martindale's talent after using her to amazing effect on Justified. I doubt they hired her for a thankless role.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Saw the ads so I set it to record. I will probably give it 2-3 episodes. But the premise is interesting, so I hope its good.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Going to check out the first few to see how it is. Looks pretty good from the trailers.

Pretty psyched for this.

I'm desperate for an intelligent espionage thriller to replace the void left by Homeland's rapid descent into dogshit.

- Maureen Ryan: 'The Americans' Review: Keri Russell Gets Her Spy On
Critics were sent the first two episodes, and I was going to keep watching anyway, partly because Elizabeth and Philip are so good at deceiving everyone, partly because Rhys and Russell do a fine job of showing the cost of those deceptions, and partly because both are surprisingly convincing in their action scenes. But knowing Margo Martindale, formerly of FX's "Justified," will recur this season is one more reason to put "The Americans" on the must-watch list.
- Philly.com: 'The Americans' are really KGB agents in bold new FX show
The Americans may be a tricky concept to sustain, because it means bringing the protagonists to the very brink of discovery on a regular basis. But for now, it's a daring tightrope walk, full of action and suspense.

- Salon.com: “The Americans”: Russian spies in a fake marriage have very real problems
This gripping, wonderfully sly Cold War–set espionage series riffs on our very current foreign policy fears
- Variety: The Americans
"The Americans" is an intriguing and provocative concept -- positing the idea of Soviet spies living in plain sight, during the early days of the Reagan administration. The execution, alas, initially isn't worthy of the premise, becoming fairly standard spy stuff, and relying heavily on awkward flashbacks to fill in the backstory. While the first two episodes contain enough promise to merit continued surveillance, what emerges is more notable for its '80s soundtrack and duck-and-cover-drill paranoia than its cat-and-mouse games or Cold War rekindling.
- NY Times: Typical American Couple, Married to the K.G.B.
“The Americans,” a new series that begins on Wednesday on FX, is also a remarkable accomplishment: It’s a subtle, complex portrait of a relationship etched into an engaging espionage thriller set in 1981, when Reagan was newly elected, and cars were big, and so was the cold war. The marriage of Philip (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell) was arranged by the K.G.B. in the 1960s. Their ties and tensions are professional but also personal, and so intertwined that it’s impossible for either fully to read, or trust, the other.

One more reminder that it's a 97 minute premiere tomorrow night, so adjust your DVR if necessary. It's immediately followed by two encore presentations of the premiere.

97 minutes on FX, so 5 more minutes of show, 32 more minutes of commercials amiright?! RIMSHOT.GIF

Meier

I was already excited about this and then I saw Margo is in it. Yes! FX has pretty much never made a poor show so I can't wait.

I'm surprised nobody has mined this particular time period in TV. Its such a rich period to exploit from an entertainment standpoint.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
One more reminder that it's a 97 minute premiere tomorrow night, so adjust your DVR if necessary. It's immediately followed by two encore presentations of the premiere.

Didn't know this. YES. Doesn't really matter to me since I can't watch it tonight anyways...we lost FX when we got basic cable. :(

Nemesis_

Depressed that AHS is now done, but this replacement seems quite good. Thought it had started quite recently, but a nice surprise to see that it starts tomorrow.

Hope it lives up to it's admittedly ambitious premise.

Zoe

I didn't notice until now that this is set in the 80's. I was wondering how they were gonna make it work :lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Interested to see how this turns out, definitely in for the first episode. Just speculation from what I've seen in the trailers but
The part I'm most intrigued by is that Keri Russel's character seems to be the more aggressive and dominant one. While her husband seems more unsure about what they are doing. Nice flip of the script to see a hot headed woman in a spy dram

- Poniewozik for Time Magazine: TV Tonight - The Americans
So as much as The Americans is the thriller you’d expect–tense, well-paced and laced with well-curated period detail–it’s also an intriguing study of marriage as partnership. Reversing the common order of things, The Americans asks whether marital routine can develop into actual love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom