• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys drama about KGB spies in DC - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Onion A|V Club: Pilot
What makes The Americans work so very well—and it’s the best drama pilot of this TV season—is the fact that’s it’s at once a very good spy series and a very good series about a marriage, and the two things somehow bounce off of each other in a way that makes the series much more than just a sum of its parts.

- Alyssa Rosenberg: FX’s ‘The Americans’ And The Next Generation of Anti-Heroes
The Americans, in addition to being potentially significant and emotionally well-constructed, is a tremendously fun show.
- Globe & Mail: The Americans: Why you should watch this adults-only Cold War thriller
It sprawls a bit and takes its time to find focus. But there’s a vast wealth of rich material here. The show is compelling, odd and definitely for adults, because, really you had to be there, in those Reagan years.

- NJ Star Ledger: 'The Americans' review: A true-blue hit? Da!
FX's much-hyped drama "The Americans," about two Soviet agents (Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys) embedded as typical D.C. suburbanites in the early '80s, is a gripping Cold War spy thriller. Grade: A-
- Miami Herald: FX’s ‘The Americans’ a family spy drama you should not miss
Rhys and Russell are shockingly good as the multifaceted Philip and Elizabeth, who shed identities like snakes shed skins.

Last few reviews:
- TV Guide: Cold War Heats Up on The Americans
The juxtaposition of surface banality and the high-octane spy intrigue of their shadow identities gives The Americans a suspenseful kick.
- LA Times: Spying for Mother Russia with 'The Americans'
There are enough interesting ideas inherent in the material to warrant giving "The Americans" a chance, and interesting enough ideas that one wishes a little more attention were being paid to them, and a little less to the usual spy-jinks.
- USA Today: 'Americans' takes on big themes via spy's eyes
While Rhys and Russell carry the domestic side of the story beautifully, they're not, as yet, completely convincing as spies. In their defense, they're hurt in the premiere by a clumsy set of flashbacks.
- The Atlantic: Spies Unlike Us
The Americans isn't quite soapy, isn't quite sexy, and is not terribly exciting. I'll be sticking with the show for a little while because I think the premise is strong and might prove fruitful with a few tweaks. (And because Margo Martindale is joining the cast soon.)

Other content:

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, the music in the opening scene was very different. I liked it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yikes. She is going to do something wicked to this dude now. I'm getting a Pulp Fiction/Girl With the Dragon Tattoo vibe.

Grizzlyjin

At first I thought the idea of them living next door to an FBI agent was a little ridiculous, then I think that this was Cold War era and they live in the suburbs of Virginia, swarming with government officials. So it's actually not that far fetched.

I wonder how many different ideas they came up with for things that can cover up their voices when they're talking shop in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom