• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - Season 5 of the award winning KGB spy drama - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Solid premiere - definitely a table setting episode though.

So did they! ;)

Ouch!

This show might have some of the best pacing of all time.

For real though, that hole digging scene went on for like 5 minutes too long.

Alright, Margo has her Emmy scene for the year!

Hopefully they either A. give her more to do this year or B. she gets nominated for Sneaky Pete instead.

Great news, Hans! We're bringing you back for Season 5!

Yeah, damn. I really liked that dude. :/

- Slate podcast on The Americans for this week
In the season opener, “Amber Waves of Grain,” showrunners Joel Fields and Joe Weisberg discuss Philip and Elizabeth’s new identities as Brad and Dee Eckert; their new “son,” Tuan; and the challenges of writing a penultimate season. She then chats with various members of the crew to learn how they contributed to the spectacular 12-minute scene that ended the episode.
Highly recommended, plus it's a short weekly podcast. This week it's only 18 minutes. They talk a bit about Tuan and the new 'family' as well as a deep dive into the production of the hole sequence. I didn't realize how complicated and expensive it was to shoot it. Interesting stuff if you're into TV production.

IronRinn

Why the fuck is there no Polite Fight for this show? Ridiculous.

Edit: Slate podcast has a Blue Apron commercial in it 7 minutes in. Also ridiculous.

calder

Fantastic start of the new season for the best show on TV for at least 3 years running. I'm going to try to watch it the night it airs this year so I'll be able to enjoy this thread more.

There's always a few little plot/background things to nitpick in even the most detailed and careful of shows, but my wife and I were watching and trying to figure out when exactly the episode was happening (it's 1984, the Olympics are on, but which Olympics? Turns out the Winter Games I guess) and I couldn't get over the rain in Moscow. In February. Presumably they wanted to show the shot of Oleg walking home, perhaps to show the exterior of his parents home so we know what it looks like, but definitely to show the guy watching him. May just have been too expensive to dress up a set for winter for a 5 second shot. *shrug*

IronRinn

Are they still doing that? Last episode I see on the Onion AV Club is for Game of Thrones last Summer.
I saw that too. I really hope so with Fargo and Better Call Saul coming back soon.

Edit: Actually, it looks like Gus Spelman might not be at the AV Club anymore? Now I'm sad.

Think thats it for me. Show is just so dull now. I remember the first and second season having a lot more tension. I knew i might be done with the show in the catch up montage when they showed Philips son. My wife and i look at each other and say "i dont remember that at all".

Plus..fucking Oleg. 5 seasons of reaching for my phone anytime hes on screen.

FrodoYolo

Banned
Think thats it for me. Show is just so dull now. I remember the first and second season having a lot more tension. I knew i might be done with the show in the catch up montage when they showed Philips son. My wife and i look at each other and say "i dont remember that at all".

Plus..fucking Oleg. 5 seasons of reaching for my phone anytime hes on screen.
I don't think the show if for you at all. Season 4 was their best season yet.

Sloane

Banned
Pretty good episode but maybe a little too heavy on exposition, nothing happening on the FBI side etc. Poor Hans although that digging sequence was fantastic.

Parahan

The main plot seemed ridiculous this episode. Why did the body say " Don't burn". Someone dies of Lassa fever or any dangerous bio warfare pathogen, you got to incinerate their body. Why did the FBI bury him in the first place?

Also poor fucker hans , got what he deserved for killing that student in a messy head shot. The transmission rate is actually pretty low for human to human contact and he may not even have got infected, but back then they didn't know much and must have thought it's like the plague. Heh.

I don't think the show if for you at all. Season 4 was their best season yet.

That block of episodes with Marthas extraction were the best stuff theyve done but it existed on its own. The ongoing story is repetitive (will Stan find out??) and the other marks (the asian guy last year, the black lady the year before) are never and will never be as good as Martha..the only one that came close was the white girl Philip was smoking weed with.

CoolOff

That block of episodes with Marthas extraction were the best stuff theyve done but it existed on its own. The ongoing story is repetitive (will Stan find out??) and the other marks (the asian guy last year, the black lady the year before) are never and will never be as good as Martha..the only one that came close was the white girl Philip was smoking weed with.

Uh, the Young-Hee storyline was amazing and heartbreaking.

calder

Must be saying something that I have no idea what storyline that was.

I wish there was a way to legally prevent you from watching the show any longer, some sort of tracking bracelet tuned to audio from new episodes or something. It would just be for the best.

Linius

Great start of the season! New Henry though
IO0pqxZ.png

I wish there was a way to legally prevent you from watching the show any longer, some sort of tracking bracelet tuned to audio from new episodes or something. It would just be for the best.

Dont worry yourself calder..unless my wife wants to keep watching im all done for now.

I definitely will want to know how the show wraps up next year..am i allowed to watch that??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom