• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - Season 5 of the award winning KGB spy drama - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why because I know it's not true but there's 0.1% of me that thinks Elizabeth was like am I going to have to kill my daughter?

That's some cryptic Jedi parenting shit just dropped there. This episode seemed low key but a ton of pieces were set up.

Dat promo tho.

-griffy-

Banned
When The Americans ends and there isn't a show this good on TV anymore, we can just rub our fingers together to keep it in our minds.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I liked this episode even more than the season premiere. LOVED Elizabeth's "We understand" line during the dinner scene, since her and Philip literally do understand what was being said.

I guess the season hook is looking deeper into this agriculture thing. We got Liz & Phil getting closer to it on the US side, and Oleg looking into it on the Russian side.

Already starting to see the noose go around neck of Stan's career. Oh, and we need to talk about this woman from the gym. Cause something is definitely up there. When it was mentioned off-hand last week, I didn't think anything of it. But it got talked about A LOT this week, and then Philip met her. Gotta be something more to it. Otherwise it would be like following Henry's arcade adventure with no connection to what's going on.

KarmaCow

I don't think she's a plant or anything more than she seems but rather finally someone or something else in Stan's life outside of his job. Add in Stan's getting fucked over by people at his job and talking about how it isn't considered cool anymore, they're laying the seeds for Stan having a career crisis, maybe even leaving if they want to go there with Oleg.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
When The Americans ends and there isn't a show this good on TV anymore, we can just rub our fingers together to keep it in our minds.

Eh, people always say this as a great show is nearing its end, but something new always pops up to take its place (more or less).

venom473

2018 will be the end of both The Americans and Game of Thrones, rough times ahead.

I want this show to end on a happy note for Stan and Philip. Their relationship is something truly special :(

IronRinn

Couple of comments to the AV Club review made me pause:

My immediate thought was that Stan had gone behind the CIA's back to warn Oleg.

I thought so, too. Two guys pursued Oleg. I presumed the huskier guy who trailed Oleg is CIA; and the guy who handed Oleg the paper is w/ Stan.

Oleg's dismay at note with the map, but not a textual message, suggest the note WAS a coded warning from stan. I suspect Oleg and Stan planned for this possbility. Oleg didn't know he was under CIA surveillance (ppl trailed Oleg for Ep1 and 2). Now he knows what's up.
Now I'm wondering if I read that scene correctly.

- Slate podcast is up for this week
In Episode 2, “Pests,” showrunners Joel Fields and Joe Weisberg discuss Philip and Elizabeth’s parenting triumphs and fails and whether the technique they teach Paige at the end of the episode might really be effective. Thomas then chats with various members of the crew to learn how the greenhouse scene came into being. Finally, director of photography Dan Stoloff explains why The Americans looks different from other shows.
Interestingly, they originally didn't have the closet scene with Paige or the scene with Stan asking Philip is she was ok. FX gave them a note to say it was unclear that she was struggling, and they added those later so that the closing scene with her learning the technique made more sense. They also talk a fair bit about the effects on the greenhouse scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom