• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - Season 5 of the award winning KGB spy drama - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ristifer

I honestly thought it was Stan trying to communicate with Oleg at first. But with everything Stan said about wishing he could run the whole bureau and how the CIA are now running the operation, I would assume that it's the CIA using Stan's name as an in.

As for Renee, I guess I'm just a suspicious mind, because I felt something off about her right away. Maybe it's because it's The Americans, but it seems that her introduction to this season has already had more weight than what Tori had in Season 4. So, I believe there could be a reason for that. Or maybe I'm just reading into it too much.

I love Chris Long's direction, too. So many ominous shots, but only when really needed. The shots in the greenhouse, the dramatic angles of the Jennings household, etc. Nice ways to capture the tension.

I think hiring an actress that played a major character in The Walking Dead speaks to the importance of the role. Imo there is definitely something else going on there we don't know about yet.

I don't get the bee sting thing, all I could think about was The X-Files. The bee sacrificed his life for an amazing butt shot though, RIP bee

When Elizabeth told Paige they had a technique for getting rid of emotion my first thought was "oh god they are gonna do some weird ass KGB training thing where they watched their parents have sex to desensitize them to sex, RUN PAIGE RUN" and then it was a bit anti climactic with tiny violin fingers.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I honestly thought it was Stan trying to communicate with Oleg at first. But with everything Stan said about wishing he could run the whole bureau and how the CIA are now running the operation, I would assume that it's the CIA using Stan's name as an in.

As for Renee, I guess I'm just a suspicious mind, because I felt something off about her right away. Maybe it's because it's The Americans, but it seems that her introduction to this season has already had more weight than what Tori had in Season 4. So, I believe there could be a reason for that. Or maybe I'm just reading into it too much.

I love Chris Long's direction, too. So many ominous shots, but only when really needed. The shots in the greenhouse, the dramatic angles of the Jennings household, etc. Nice ways to capture the tension.

My thoughts exactly. When the agent first approached Oleg with a message from Stan, I thought it was straight up. But hearing Stan complain about the situation to Aderholt during their stakeout turned me around on the idea. He didn't sound like a guy who had taken action to help his friend out, he still sounded defeated. Plus, Stan undermining the FBI and CIA would be a huge leap off a cliff for him.

I don't trust Renee. At all. This show likes to subvert expectations a lot but I just can't see her as being there to add more shades for Stan's personal life. The whole thing has just gotten way too much focus for me to think it's being played straight. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Stan wouldn't even have the capability of contacting Oleg if he wanted to. He would need help from outside the FBI, which would be far too complicated to get done without being noticed. It's clearly the CIA leveraging that relationship to get at Oleg.

Renee is a KGB agent isnt she? Philip looked off a bit and maybe he picked up on something but doesnt realize it yet.

Also is anyone here a bit upset for mail robot being denied his revenge against Frank? Let down.

Ristifer

Renee is Gabriel's daughter. Probably sent to handle Stan as a second-generation handler from the KGB.

You heard it here first, folks.

Disgraced

I was thinking Renee might be KGB as well, but what makes me doubt it is that Stan approached her, right? Then again, I guess it's wouldn't've been too difficult to... attract Stan. Plus, Phillip persuaded him.

*If she is KGB, that introduction is a pretty ingenious scheme. Catch Stan's attention just enough for him to mention it to the confidant who assures his approach. It's a lot less suspect therefore a lot safer than her approaching him. It just hinges on an inch more assumption than usual, I feel. Then again, the situation with Stan is fuckin' delicate.

New episode tonight:
The Midges

Philip and Elizabeth tell Paige more about the family business, but pressing new questions arise when an operation takes a ghastly and unexpected turn. Meanwhile, a sensitive package jeopardizes Oleg's life back home.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
All caught up. I suspect the dude with the note was a CIA agent since they were known for pulling that kind of shit. They were also known for being utterly reckless handling their agents.

For all the Hollywood mythos, the CIA sucked so bad during the Cold War they never managed to have more than a handful of relatively well positioned agents within the USSR and they were routinely picked out, tortured and Nina'd by the KGB. Meanwhile, the CIA was penetrated by the KGB to absurd lenghts.

And I also loled at the shower scene. I wonder if there's a clause in Keri Russell's contract stipulating one scene per season featuring her supple butt. Not that I'd mind if I were her or anything. She's in terrific shape, but specially for a mother of three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom