• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
EviLore said:
Ban 100 people, or unban two? Far more convenient this way ;b

:lol

Slay the masses with your ban blades, I say! :lol

That would be a crap ton of Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V button mashing. ^_^

cnizzle06

Banned
RubxQub said:
I'd rather you banned 100 people (even if that means I get banned for whatever reason).

Seriously, the last thing any of these threads need are people just trolling to get a rise out of everyone.

I'd ask you to reconsider if that's an option.

You just got a rise out of me. ;)

More seriously, I don't think it's a decision worth bickering about. Just ignore those who piss you off.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
god bless steve jobs and my godzy wodzy pad life is greater now

edit: just kidding thing fucking sucks loser

Flek

Banned
mrklaw said:
so now we have rumours of the 23rd (iphone releases on Friday), 24th (no days off in Canada, maybe UK too), 26th, 30th.

Eventually there will be rumours of every day from now until next year, and one of them is bound to be right :/

yeha true … 4 dates … wow.

I really really hope apple says something @ the os 4.0 event tomorrow…i start feeling like a 3rd grade customer more and more. I said it before but this is the worst apple launch procedure ive seen…lets just hope its a one time only fuck up. Future apple releases should be worldwide again…and if you dont have the resources for this just produce enough before you start serving 1 part of the world first. OR fucking give out informations…let peoble pre-order in time etc. etc. cant be to hard can it !?

edit:

EviLore said:
Anyway, deal with it, moderation decisions are not up for debate. Back on topic.

apple fans have to moderate the thread themself now :lol

Blackhead

Redarse
EviLore said:
Ban 100 people, or unban two? Far more convenient this way ;b
In light of the new freedoms :D :

Is EviLore is an iPad fanboy who doesn't want to ban other iPad fanboys? (<- note the passive-agreesive move with the question mark)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
RubxQub said:
I'd rather you banned 100 people (even if that means I get banned for whatever reason).

Seriously, the last thing any of these threads need are people just trolling to get a rise out of everyone.

I'd ask you to reconsider if that's an option.
For the record, you would have been one of them.

Flek said:
yeha true … 4 dates … wow.

I really really hope apple says something @ the os 4.0 event tomorrow…i start feeling like a 3rd grade customer more and more. I said it before but this is the worst apple launch procedure ive seen…lets just hope its a one time only fuck up. Future apple releases should be worldwide again…and if you dont have the resources for this just produce enough before you start serving 1 part of the world first. OR fucking give out informations…let peoble pre-order in time etc. etc. cant be to hard can it !?

edit:

apple fans have to moderate the thread themsef now :lol

The potential lack of pre-order and the good price I got are why I ended up ordering one off of eBay. Don't want to deal with hassles of an Apple launch.

Still kind of pissed with this PayPal exchange rate though. Makes no fucking sense!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Hitokage said:
In the new spirit of freedom, apple fanboys remind me a lot of nintendo fanboys, conditioned to think that whatever they're given is the only acceptable mode of operation. Apple doesn't produce stuff like e-ink displays or multitasking tablets, so nobody should ever need one!
Let's not generalize...

...call some people out!
Hitokage said:
For the record, you would have been one of them.
I don't want to argue about it in public, but I'd take it to PMs if you'd answer them. All I did in that thread was toss out the recommendation of the iPad (I hadn't seen that the OP said he didn't want one like 40 posts in), then ultimately recommended the Kindle and gave valid reasons why the Kindle would be a good choice for him in the short term.

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
see5harp said:
For now, I'm just gonna grab some random free pdfs and figure out how to add some books to my library. I like the actual app, I'm just hoping for some publisher support. It has been a few days, so I realize I'm a bitching a bit. I do like the actual app though.

Get GoodReader. I think it's still 99 cents and reads a ton of shit, including PDFs, very well. Plus it can easily sync to Dropbox/Google Docs/etc.

SmokyDave

MmmSkyscraper said:
This was my iPad back in the day:

2s9911h.jpg
Oh the memories!

We're so old :(

Still hanging in there waiting for the UK release of this bad boy. I need to complete Field Runners for the third time.

Flek

Banned
DoctorWho said:
The potential lack of pre-order and the good price I got are why I ended up ordering one off of eBay. Don't want to deal with hassles of an Apple launch.

i would have done the same but

1) i know ouer customs are going to rape me by delaying the shipping for 2 weeks and let me pick it up at there office + paying a shit load of money

and

2.) iam not sure what happens when the ipad dies with warranty

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
My iPad just landed at the Airport :)
But the case is missing, it was out of stock :-(

I seriously need a case, I just browsed Internet for 2 hours and the official case is still the best one at the moment.

But the official case is too expensive on ebay. I guess I'm out of luck for a few weeks :-/

iPad launch in Europe can't come soon enough.

NekoFever

Am I the only one pedantic enough to be annoyed by how the '2x' button when running an iPhone app on the iPad actually makes the apps four times the size?

Probably... :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
NekoFever said:
Am I the only one pedantic enough to be annoyed by how the '2x' button when running an iPhone app on the iPad actually makes the apps four times the size?

Probably... :(

probably

chu chu rocket would be nice on the ipad

Sqorgar

Banned
NekoFever said:
I think the 2x is referring to the pixel size, not the total area.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
DoctorWho said:
Begun, the tablet/ebook reader wars have.

Seriously. I don't know why there is such a fight between these two parties. They are two very different products IMO.

I'd say the fight is fairly one-sided with the iPad defenders instigating it by going out of their way to spread the gospel. You don't see ebook reader users coming in here constantly and bashing the iPad.

Having said that, the iPad glare photo is amazing and a [/thread] if I've ever seen one.

SnowWolf said:
I'd say the fight is fairly one-sided with the iPad defenders instigating it by going out of their way to spread the gospel. You don't see ebook reader users coming in here constantly and bashing the iPad.
That's because no one understands e-ink. I've been fighting that battle mostly alone on GAF for years. People have been finally turning around since looking at a Nook in stores, since the Kindle isn't available for demo. Before the iPad, it was always "I have no trouble reading my computer screen all day" and "I read books on my netbook lolol."

If the glare picture finally clues some people in, good. But I don't see it as iPad defenders spreading the gospel as much as it's just the same old "I read my computer screen all day" LCD defenders that don't know any better finding a new device to promote above e-ink devices they've never used or understand. Kindle threads have always been like that, long before the iPad came around.

I tried Kindle on my iPad and wanted to die after 10 minutes. The line spacing is too thin, and the backlight made me eventually start seeing double so I had trouble keeping my eyes on the line I was currently on. On the flip side, Safari on the iPad is the best Internet experience on the planet. Both products have their strong points, but they don't overlap.

Flek said:
i would have done the same but

1) i know ouer customs are going to rape me by delaying the shipping for 2 weeks and let me pick it up at there office + paying a shit load of money

and

2.) iam not sure what happens when the ipad dies with warranty
I'm sure in Canada I won't have an issue with Apple replacing my battery for the standard fee. Don't know how that would work in the uk.

As for customs, I'm slightly concerned but I've never had to pay anything extra before. Still, it's a gamble though.

Just asked the seller to mark the package as gift. Don't know if that still works.

besada

Banned
Just wanted to hype the File Browser app. For $2.99 you get the ability to connect to any standard share, view, an copy files across to your iPad. Works perfectly and it was exactly what I needed. You can view files without transferring them, including video files, if they're in a standard Apple format.

SnowWolf said:

Having said that, the iPad glare photo is amazing and a [/thread] if I've ever seen one.
If you just want a device to read books, I see no reason to pass on the Kindle. It's the right price for the functionality. If you want gaming and more th iPad is the way to go. Simple as that.

Seth C

Charred Greyface said:
Nah, please do your job. Speaking as someone who was banned earlier, I know how easy it is to cross the line—even when it's drawn clearly—and I shudder at the thought at how bad this thread could get without a strong hand. Moreover, it's really not fair that Kindle and iPad threads get a special dispensation from moderation... (or may I request the old uninspected Futbol thread back?)

Edit: whoa I hadn't checked out that Kindle thread yet to see the (many) trolls. The iPad thread would be empty if EviLore wielded the ban hammer. Maybe not such a good idea :lol

Second Edit: is part of the reason for changing the standards simply because you balked at having to apply them consistently?

Nah. It wouldn't be empty. I know I'd still be here, considering I haven't been in the Kindle thread at all. I have no interest in one, so no reason to click the thread. Of course, that makes far too much sense for most.

besada

Banned
A doc file pulled off my writing folder on my Windows machine, open and edited in Pages. Writing is a go. Now I just need my case for the typing stand.
65602b08.jpg

gkryhewy

besada said:
Just wanted to hype the File Browser app. For $2.99 you get the ability to connect to any standard share, view, an copy files across to your iPad. Works perfectly and it was exactly what I needed. You can view files without transferring them, including video files, if they're in a standard Apple format.

I bought this app, but it's been useless for me since it a) doesn't support AFP drives, unlike Good Reader and b) doesn't support the SMP implementation in airport express, apparently (which is how my network drive it shared).

I've filed a report and requested a refund, actually. ::shrug::

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Sqorgar said:
I think OmniGraffle is on the iPad, which should be exactly what you are looking for, but it's like $50 or something outrageous like that.

Outrageous how? It's a full featured app. I will agree it is not in line with some comparable apps (iWork specifically) but it's a real productivity app. just because something runs on iPhone OS does not mean it has to be cheap.

So, what is the average application/game size on the iPad? I'm considering a 16GB version, which I intend to only use for gaming/apps and minimal video/photo stuff, but if the applications are egregiously over-sized I may try to spring for a 32GB.

That said, 32GB ($600) + APP (another $100) + NY tax is a tough pill to swallow right now, so who knows.

Is the APP (Apple Protection Plan) worth it? How exactly does it work? What does it cover?

Thanks for the help. I'm an Apple newbie.

see5harp

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Comiczeal 4 isn't even letting me import a single comic. It keeps crashing on me. Grrrrrrrr.

I managed to get a few on there but I did have some issues crashing. Not sure what is going on but i got the entire run of 100 Bullets. At first I was shocked how easy it was to get the files on. Then i opened the program. LOL.

BTW the Korg iElectribe is completely worth the $10. It's a 15 Meg file that will never leave the home screen.

besada

Banned
gkrykewy said:
I bought this app, but it's been useless for me since it a) doesn't support AFP drives, unlike Good Reader and b) doesn't support the SMP implementation in airport express, apparently (which is how my network drive it shared).

I've filed a report and requested a refund, actually. ::shrug::

I suppose I should have qualified that with "great for Windows environments..."

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
McBacon said:
Btw, why does the keyboard have lumps on the F and J keys? You can't feel them, Steve.
Agreed...but after typing a lot and playing GeoWars a lot...I'm starting to think that a great advancement in tech (and probably no time soon) would be for applications to be able to emboss the screen in any way they'd like to establish some kind of tactile feedback.

Imagine playing GeoWars where the joysticks that get drawn on the screen create a lightly elevated space under your thumbs so you know where the boundaries of the stick are.

Imagine typing and the home keys have the little guide bumps so you know you're always in the right place.

giga

McBacon said:
Btw, why does the keyboard have lumps on the F and J keys? You can't feel them, Steve.
I'd imagine they'd serve as visual cues of where to place your index finger since it's a virtual keyboard and there's no tactile feedback from them. Or it's just for realism.

syllogism said:
Parts of that ars technica review read like an Onion article
I can understand where they're coming from as I tend to procrastinate a hell of a lot on a normal laptop or computing device. By focusing on one app at a time I can concentrate and get things done.

Barrett2

Napoleonthechimp said:
I can understand where they're coming from as I tend to procrastinate a hell of a lot on a normal laptop or computing device. By focusing on one app at a time I can concentrate and get things done.

Isn't that like saying you're glad the Ford Festiva only goes 60 miles an hour because it prevents you from getting speeding tickets?

IMO, all arguments in favor of no multitasking just sound.... sad

Vyse The Legend said:
Is the APP (Apple Protection Plan) worth it? How exactly does it work? What does it cover?

Thanks for the help. I'm an Apple newbie.

NY tax does suck...I'm from there and was just there last month...luckily, they don't tax the first 100ish of clothes, so going to uniqlo was no big deal:D

when it comes to Applecare...as a whole...it is worth it IMO (I'm a former apple employee)

I hate "extended warranties" and sincerely believe they are just scams....

but with apple care...on something like the iPad/Macbook/iMac...there are wearable parts that will go out...and Apple does have the highest level of customer feedback because of how they treat their customers...
having the applecare is a piece of mind thing...if your going to keep the iPad for over a year (pending a Revision 2 next year)
then go for it... your paying an extra $100 to make sure if that brand spanking new IPS screen starts to go, your covered...
if you happen to want to sell the iPad in a year or so, traditionally speaking, Applecare will tack on more resale value when you put the iPad on eBay/Craigslist...

Applecare is like putting a new bathroom in your house...you will feel great having it and if you decide to sell it, you know your getting 60-70% back on your investment anyway...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
But I don't see it as iPad defenders spreading the gospel as much as it's just the same old "I read my computer screen all day" LCD defenders that don't know any better finding a new device to promote above e-ink devices they've never used or understand. Kindle threads have always been like that, long before the iPad came around.
And, for the record, some of us who have been wielding the "I read my computer screen all day" argument have also used e-ink displays and just find no significant gain in eye comfort because of it, so let's not broadstroke this as an ignorant of e-ink thing.

I tried Kindle on my iPad and wanted to die after 10 minutes. The line spacing is too thin, and the backlight made me eventually start seeing double so I had trouble keeping my eyes on the line I was currently on.
I'm sorry for your discomfort, but this doesn't match my experience, whatsoever, of reading long-form content on LCD displays.

numble

Wow @ the Kindle thread. I never even opened it earlier, and thought most people would just go on about how Amazon seems due to release a new model soon.

Shiv47

Been playing around as much as my time allows with my iPad over the last couple days, and generally liking it. AirVideo works great; so nice to not have to have my laptop on my lap in bed while watching a video. I also thought I never would use the digital copies that came with my Blu-rays. Instead, I was watching Fantastic Mr Fox and Star Trek last night. Nice. Several of the apps I downloaded weren't optimized for the iPad which is a bit of a drag, but hopefully that won't be so much of a problem as we move along. Separating the app store by device was a very useful move.

giga said:
I'd imagine they'd serve as visual cues of where to place your index finger since it's a virtual keyboard and there's no tactile feedback from them. Or it's just for realism.

Or a big F U! to detractors. I admit I chuckled when I saw them

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Yoboman said:
How is the Ipad for academic use
i'd imagine good for reading PDF articles, shitty for taking notes until a useful one note clone comes out with audio recording and syncing capabilities with a solid desktop app.

LCfiner

giga said:

I think it’s just there for realism since the HIG make a point of how iPad apps should attempt to emulate real life objects whenever possible.

And damn all you iPad boosters who messed up the “so I want to buy a kindle” thread. (hint: the kindle is great and it’s good he’s getting one for books) Now we’re all gonna suffer in this thread :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom