• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabottemp

Banned
scorcho said:
i'd imagine good for reading PDF articles, shitty for taking notes until a useful one note clone comes out with audio recording and syncing capabilities with a solid desktop app.

if you have a bluetooth keyboard couldn't you just use that with the iPad and Pages?

honest question here, i don't have an iPad
BUT I JUST PREORDERED MY 32GIG 3G YESTERDAY OMG I'M SOOOOOOOOO EXCITTTEEEEDDDDDDDD CAN'T WAIT TILL 'LATE APRIL'

besada

Banned
numble said:
Wow @ the Kindle thread. I never even opened it earlier, and thought most people would just go on about how Amazon seems due to release a new model soon.

If it makes anyone feel any better, my single experience with iBooks turned into a giant hassle that ended with a refund and a purchasing of the book on Kindle. Not only was the Kindle app able to successfully deliver my book, it looked about ten times better than the print abortion delivered by iBooks. It was also cheaper. iBooks needs a little work.

numble

Yoboman said:
How is the Ipad for academic use
It is sucking my time away from actual studies, so bad.

But I've converted PDF readings and read them in iBooks on the go
on the toilet

I wish my big ole textbooks were available in electronic format so I could use it for that.

Depending on how much notes you need to take for class, the virtual keyboard seems good enough for fields where not much notes are taken. The bluetooth keyboard or docked keyboard may be needed for more intensive note-taking.

You also would probably have less ability to surreptitiously browse websites or play games in class (no multitasking, and would probably be more distracting to other students in class).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
To me, the iPad is just another Apple product that people will pay an exorbitant premium for in order to look like hipsters (read: douchebags). The "I'm a Mac" ads are literally the coupe of the century in terms of getting impressionable kids to blindly drop wads of money they don't have on a brand. Miley Cyrus must be envious.

If the iPad had any other branding (even, gasp!, "M$" branding), all of GAF would literally be laughing at it and its many huge flaws would be front and center instead of being pooh-poohed away any time they are even casually or tangentially referenced.

Look, I own an iTouch before anyone accuses me of being a hater. To me, almost all of this Apple crap is the perfect symbol of where America's at today.

And I don't mean that in a good way....

Futureman

AstroLad said:
To me, the iPad is just another Apple product that people will pay an exorbitant premium for in order to look like hipsters (read: douchebags). The "I'm a Mac" ads are literally the coupe of the century in terms of getting impressionable kids to blindly drop wads of money they don't have on a brand. Miley Cyrus must be envious.

If the iPad had any other branding (even, gasp!, "M$" branding), all of GAF would literally be laughing at it and its many huge flaws would be front and center instead of being pooh-poohed away any time they are even casually or tangentially referenced.

Look, I own an iTouch before anyone accuses me of being a hater. To me, almost all of this Apple crap is the perfect symbol of where America's at today.

INTERNET NERD RAILS AGAINST APPLE, MORE AT 11.

numble

besada said:
If it makes anyone feel any better, my single experience with iBooks turned into a giant hassle that ended with a refund and a purchasing of the book on Kindle. Not only was the Kindle app able to successfully deliver my book, it looked about ten times better than the print abortion delivered by iBooks. It was also cheaper. iBooks needs a little work.
Yeah--I think Kindle looks better because it has the ability to vary fonts (I think?), at least based on some screenshots people have shown. My other beef with all the readers and stores is that there is no consistent way in how images are handled. I'd like to buy the Alton Brown book on the Kindle store, but they have B&W images, while other books on the Kindle store are also in color--same thing applies to the iBooks store. Differences in image resolution across stores as well. If I want a book, I constantly have to check across 3 stores to see what is the best version.

Chorazin

besada said:

Amazon has the benefit of a few years of experience with presenting books both on the Kindle and via their iPhone, PC, Mac, and (I think) Blackberry apps, so it's a more mature system. I'm sure the Kindle store will thrive on the iPad, especially among people who have other devices and read on the go.

It's still always impressive to me to read a bit downstairs on the iPad (previously netbook), go to bed and decide I want to read for a bit on my Kindle, and the hit the crapper at work and read on my iPhone, every time starting right where I left off previously.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
AstroLad said:
Thank you. I even said in the post that I owned an iTouch to avoid comments like that.
Don't even bother playing with Astrolad people...this guy is a fucking pro at this.

You're the "Raptor Hunter" guy in Jurrasic Park, and Astrolad is the raptor. Dude is like 8 steps ahead of you and you're dead before you even realized you started.

Bravo, dude. That reply was perfect. :lol

cabottemp

Banned
AstroLad said:

If people like what they buy, and buy what they like, then who gives a fuck? What a shitty attitude you have.

Chorazin said:
Amazon has the benefit of a few years of experience with presenting books both on the Kindle and via their iPhone, PC, Mac, and (I think) Blackberry apps, so it's a more mature system. I'm sure the Kindle store will thrive on the iPad, especially among people who have other devices and read on the go.

It's still always impressive to me to read a bit downstairs on the iPad (previously netbook), go to bed and decide I want to read for a bit on my Kindle, and the hit the crapper at work and read on my iPhone, every time starting right where I left off previously.

Amazon's experience in the field is what is helping them. I am curious as to how the nook app (which is coming) will fare on the iPad. Then we will have three huge companies vying for our money, with varying quality, selection, and pricing. And it will be neat to have all three bookstores available on one device.

RubxQub said:
You're the "Raptor Hunter" guy in Jurrasic Park, and Astrolad is the raptor. Dude is like 8 steps ahead of you and you're dead before you even realized you started.
800px-DVDPlay_2009-05-06_16-54-20-72.jpg

"Clever girl."

rSpooky

AstroLad said:
depressing nagativity.
Astro,
I would like to respond as someone who only owned a Ipod ( the classic one) and being well aware of the shortcomings on that thing (audio quality being one) and hating I tunes. It is still a pleasant experience to use.
I never felt the need for an iphone (or touch) but was well aware how userfriendly a touch interface is for people,especially non technical people... My dad got one and he really suck with tech normally. I am not a fan on apple pc's , even though my colleagues ( very smart IT professionals) swear by them)

Yet.. I picked up an Ipad this weekend , because something about it appealed to me, and honestly it goes far beyond my expectations, and I already found allot of ways I am going to be able to use this as a additional tool ( not a replacement) for work as well as entertainment.

No way is it to fit in with the hipsters.. it has a function for what I want to do..
The long battery life that comes with it just makes it that much better.

But I dont think i want to go into a apple store again though .. lol those people kinda freaked me out .

Futureman

AstroLad said:
Thank you. I even said in the post that I owned an iTouch to avoid comments like that.

So do you consider yourself a hipster douche? You say Apple is a symbol for what is wrong with our society, yet you buy Apple products?

Didn't make much sense what you were saying, unless you hate yourself or something.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
rSpooky said:
No way is it to fit in with the hipsters.. it has a function for what I want to do..
The long battery life that comes with it just makes it that much better.
Look that is a totally reasonable reply--I still think you are wrong but at least you are being well-read about it.

As to the people just shooting at me without even trying to make an argument, I think it says something that I can only picture this guy talking when I read your posts:

justin-long_M_jpg_300x150_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

:lol

Futureman said:
So do you consider yourself a hipster douche? You say Apple is a symbol for what is wrong with our society, yet you buy Apple products?

Didn't make much sense what you were saying, unless you hate yourself or something.
It's AstroLad.

Hail to the king.

iTouch is still dangling there, I'm waiting for it.

RubxQub

AstroLad said:
Look that is a totally reasonable reply--I still think you are wrong but at least you are being well-read about it.

As to the people just shooting at me without even trying to make an argument, I think it says something that I can only picture this guy talking when I read your posts:

:lol
I'm just complimenting your impeccable trolling abilities, is all. I don't know when it's a character or when you're serious, so I just assume it's always a character to prevent burning myself.

You are to trolling what the Count is to puns.

LCfiner

Tobor said:
Why do I get the feeling Astrolad was sent in on purpose as punishment for the Kindle thread? :lol

The dude’s a thread derail hitman.

he’s collecting his bounty now. they consist of bitter tears and rended fanboy garments

see5harp

Seriously...I have the same beef with Hipsterrunoff who basically uses his blog to troll hipsters with every post. Astrolad is the troll who cried wolf and when he actually likes a product no one is going to believe him.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
see5harp said:
Seriously...I have the same beef with Hipsterrunoff who basically uses his blog to troll hipsters with every post. Astrolad is the troll who cried wolf and when he actually likes a product no one is going to believe him.
There are a lot of products I like (I own every console, for starters). The difference between I and GAF is that I actually focus on the value of the product to me rather than the brand or what other people will think of me. This is why I find threads like this one and the $300 jeans thread hilarious. Only on GAF....

see5harp said:

Shit dude, I never thought about it that way. He's going to be so fucked when he tries to recommend a product on a message board and no one believes him. Game over.

Blackhead

Redarse
lawblob said:
Isn't that like saying you're glad the Ford Festiva only goes 60 miles an hour because it prevents you from getting speeding tickets?

IMO, all arguments in favor of no multitasking just sound.... sad
QFT. It's also sad because the reviewers act like there is no multitasking at all, forgetting that by their reasoning they could just as easily get 'distracted' by using the iPod app in the background. It's ridiculous how they phrase the arguments in favor of 'no multitasking'. "I'm too weak willed to only focus on one task at a time so I have to spoil the party for everybody else" is as anti consumer as it gets.

AstroLad said:

Aww fuck. Forgo the hipster hate and save the Apple symbolized consumerism as destruction of America for political threads. Mods (just EviLore actually), look what you've unleashed. /bails out

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
AstroLad said:

2 conclusions can be drawn from this:
1) You're poor and can't afford an iPad. Therefore, gotta hate to justify why you can't get one.
2) You formerly wanted to be part of the hipster/Apple scene but was ridiculed for being a poser. Now a pariah, you're on the outside hating.

These aren't mutually exclusive. Probably spent all your money on an iTouch to try to fit in.

numble

I posted something akin to this a couple of days ago, but I'm still somewhat unsatisfied about the specificity of the answers:

What are the legal issues involved in the following?

Ripping your own CDs for personal use: OK
Downloading MP3s of music you already own as CDs: ???
Ripping your own DVDs: OK(?)
Downloading movies that you already own as DVD: ???
Scanning your own books: ???
Downloading digital copies of books you already own: ???

All the "downloading" scenarios involve non-traditional distribution channels.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Tedesco! said:
I feel the same way you do, but trust me: wait. Apple has a tendency to make the most mundane things seem revolutionary. Wait for a version or two, for the same price you'll probably pick up a unit that has increased storage, a USB port, and a camera. Unless you really feel like you need one. I want one, but I know that better version is on the horizon.

There will never be a USB port on it.

numble said:
I posted something akin to this a couple of days ago, but I'm still somewhat unsatisfied about the specificity of the answers:

What are the legal issues involved in the following?

Ripping your own CDs for personal use: OK
Downloading MP3s of music you already own as CDs: ???
Ripping your own DVDs: OK(?)
Downloading movies that you already own as DVD: ???
Scanning your own books: ???
Downloading digital copies of books you already own: ???

All the "downloading" scenarios involve non-traditional distribution channels.

Ripping your own DVDs is technically legal, as long as you dont break copy protection doing so. In other words, you are a pirate for ripping 90% of your DVDs. Strange huh?

This is what happens when they lift the modding.

And while I didn't read the entire Kindle thread, I saw as much crap being tossed back the other way as I did from the so called "Apple Fanboys".

ravien56

SnowWolf said:
2 conclusions can be drawn from this:
1) You're poor and can't afford an iPad. Therefore, gotta hate to justify why you can't get one.
2) You formerly wanted to be part of the hipster/Apple scene but was ridiculed for being a poser. Now a pariah, you're on the outside hating.

These aren't mutually exclusive. Probably spent all your money on an iTouch to try to fit in.
Majority of my friends hate on the ipad but coincidentally have no money. I always think its number 1.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
AstroLad said:

If your post is related to the iPad, you miss the part where it is the 1st tablet ever that nails the concept while offering tremendous potential. The hype is deserved, it is an innovative product, the best of its class so far. People like great products in all kind of industries. It's human to like what is great in this world, isn't it?

ravien56 said:
Majority of my friends hate on the ipad but coincidentally have no money. I always think its number 1.

And it is the cool thing to like and want now, thus making it the cool and hip thing to hate on. It happens anytime some new hot thing comes around that a majority of the public wants or talks about.

See: Avatar, Wii

mrkgoo

AstroLad said:
There are a lot of products I like (I own every console, for starters). The difference between I and GAF is that I actually focus on the value of the product to me rather than the brand or what other people will think of me. This is why I find threads like this one and the $300 jeans thread hilarious. Only on GAF....

It's true, if the iPad didn't have an Apple logo, i probably wouldn't have bought it.

HOWEVER, I didn't buy the brand because of what people will think of me. I think you're actually off the mark here. I'm actually VERY concerned with what people think of me - that's true.

But the Apple logo has an opposite effect. I am SO concerned with looking like a hipster brand douche, that I am afraid to use my Apple products in public. It's people like you that I fear even just using the products I own. :( I tend not to pull out my stuff and never get to use them how I want. I hate the attention Apple products bring.

It's like that editorial written where the guy made the claim that the real hipster douches were actually the Apple-haters, because while they were concerned about being labelled something, everyone else just got on with using and enjoying their stuff. Im obviously not a hater, but I found I had the same feelings. It's just plain odd.

see5harp

AstroLad said:

I just find it hilarious that Apple gets the hipster tag from every non user, when in most cases, you go into an apple store and the clientele is more diverse today than it's ever been. If buying $300 jeans makes me feel like I'm better than you, what's the big deal? I think if the iPad operated the same as the Joo Joo or HP Slate, I'd understand your issue.

LCfiner

Tobor said:
Well, this threads fucked.

only for a page. we've endured worse.

edit: how can all you posters still not be aware of Astrolad's MO? are you responding to this tongue in cheek troll seriously? holy shit :lol read more threads, dudes! become a better Gaf citizen!

RubxQub

Tobor said:
Well, this threads fucked.
Is there some sweet iPad game we could all download and play remotely while the dust settles?

Yesterday I got to the top 10 on the GeoWars Deadline leaderboards!

That game is so good...SOOOOOOOO good.

cabottemp

Banned
LCfiner said:
only for a page. we've endured worse.

edit: how can all you posters still not be aware of Astrolad's MO? are you responding to this tongue in cheek troll seriously? holy shit :lol read more threads, dudes! become a better Gaf citizen!

I blame my junior-ness.

RubxQub said:
Is there some sweet iPad game we could all download and play remotely while the dust settles?

That reminds me, the zombies are on my fucking ROOF now! WTF? That's not cool.

mrkgoo

RubxQub said:

I actually made the mistake of buying all the games I liked that I already played. They were my favourite games on the iPhone, but they're 'just' up-rezzed on the iPad. I don't regret having them, but they are a bit too expensive for what they are. My favourites happen to be Scrbble and Tetris, just because they are staples and fun to play.

Tobor

Have any of the good Tower Defense games been iPad'ded yet besides PvZ? Any new Tower Defense games that take advantage of the screen?

RubxQub

mrkgoo said:
I actually made the mistake of buying all the games I liked that I already played. They were my favourite games on the iPhone, but they're 'just' up-rezzed on the iPad. I don't regret having them, but they are a bit too expensive for what they are. My favourites happen to be Scrbble and Tetris, just because they are staples and fun to play.
GeoWars is something I bought for the 360, but never really played because the 360 is more of a "sit down and set aside time to play" system.

I find myself dropping into sessions of GeoWars during commercials and shit instead of just hopping back on GAF.

May just be the honeymoon period, but it's fun.

Game definitely crawls when there's a ton of shit on the screen.
Tobor said:
Have any of the good Tower Defense games been iPad'ded yet besides PvZ? Any new Tower Defense games that take advantage of the screen?
Fieldrunners was ported to iPad, but I don't know if I could play that game anymore. I raped the shit out of it on my iPhone.

Chorazin

Gary Whitta said:
That reminds me, the zombies are on my fucking ROOF now! WTF? That's not cool.

I want PvZ, but I already have it on iPhone and still haven't beaten that. I wish they would have some sort of Save Sync between the games ala Whispersync.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom