• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Banner Saga Kickstarter project by Stoic [Ended, 723K funded]

scy

I'm kind of surprised it "only" has $500k. Then again, that's also 5 times what they asked so it's not exactly in dire straits.

It might have less of a reaction than that other thread - but is anyone really surprised? Ryan Payton + iOS debate, That said, this has hit its funding limit and is already really successful. so who cares if gaf don't bite.

;)

Jaleel

Just viewed the announcement trailer and it looks great. Really digging the art style they're going after.

I do wonder how the multiplayer player aspect of the game will turn out since it will be released before the single player version. Will we be able to transfer possible characters/gear we've earned from the multiplayer version to the single player version?

It might have less of a reaction than that other thread - but is anyone really surprised? Ryan Payton + iOS debate, That said, this has hit its funding limit and is already really successful. so who cares if gaf don't bite.

;)

I really hope that they're able to get enough money for the orchestrated soundtrack, however much that will cost. I think they've got just over $14,000 towards that right now. I can't imagine that that's enough. I gotta say I really like how they've been using the extra funding, piling on all sorts of high quality professional help. An orchestrated soundtrack would be the ultimate icing on the cake.

sixghost

It makes me sad that this thread has 1/3rd the activity that the Republique one has. More people need to see this game! It looks amazing. I put in my 50 bucks to get all 3 chapters of the game already, but I will probably end up rebuying it on my iPad and more than likely playing it there instead, but no way would I have spent $50 on an iPad game.

The upside for this game is that it is well beyond funded, and Republique doesnt look like it will make it there.

Who cares? It's not a competition.

Who cares? It's not a competition.

I think he's just saying he wishes more people would pay attention to The Banner Saga, though the comparison to Republique is a bit odd given that that game will probably not be funded at all. Republique probably has more chatter because the actual creator is posting in that thread.

sixghost

I think he's just saying he wishes more people would pay attention to The Banner Saga, though the comparison to Republique is a bit odd given that that game will probably not be funded at all.

You don't think raising $500,000 is getting enough attention? Most of the posts in the Republique thread are people worrying the game won't get funded or talking about why the game is being developed on iOS only is a bad idea.

You don't think raising $500,000 is getting enough attention? Most of the posts in the Republique thread are people worrying the game won't get funded or talking about why the game is being developed on iOS only is a bad idea.

I don't think there's such a thing as getting enough attention. In this case, I'm worried about whether they'll be able to fund the orchestral soundtrack or not.

edit: Over $15,000 now for the orchestra! I hope it doesn't cost too much.

Nohar

This game looks very promising and amazing. Honestly, I'm thrilled. The addition of Austin Wintory to the team is an excellent new. I'm actually more excited with this game than with Wasteland 2 (don't know why honestly... Maybe the magic of this project works better with me?).

Also, the poster is badass. I really love the graphics.

$530,000 overall and about $16,000 towards the orchestrated soundtrack. 5 days left. It's not spiking hard yet, I guess that will be come in the final two days or so. I think they'll make it over $600,000 in the end.

PaulLFC

I'm confused. I was waiting to fund this while I decided whether to pledge $10 for the first game/chapter or $50 for all three. But now, looking at the reward tiers, getting 3 chapters doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere except in the update comments.

I'm sure it was one of the listed $50 rewards a few days ago - has this changed?

I'm confused. I was waiting to fund this while I decided whether to pledge $10 for the first game/chapter or $50 for all three. But now, looking at the reward tiers, getting 3 chapters doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere except in the update comments.

I'm sure it was one of the listed $50 rewards a few days ago - has this changed?

All $50 backers get all three games.

Calling them chapters is a bit dishonest.

Corto

I'll have my 3 years old son pick our family crest hehehe It will be so bad ass years from now he will play the game and see his dad name on the credits and the family crest in game.

Ah okay thanks. Are the next 2 games bigger in scope as they're technically $20 instead of $10? I might just fund $10 for now I think, still need to fund Shadowrun as well.

The next two games don't exist yet. It's why I'm keeping my donation at $10.

Also, they will be more than $20 and $10 at launch.

Officially over the $550,000 mark. I think the odds are good that they'll breach $600,000 in the four days left. They also just threw up an update clarifying all the reward tiers.

Zissou

This looks interesting, so I think I'll put some money toward it. I've kind of become disilliusioned with recent western RPGs, being disinterested in the elder srolls series ever since oblivion was so meh, and with bioware jumping the shark on all fronts, fallout is about the only one left I still care about. Hopefully stuff like this, wasteland 2, and the new shadowrun come through.

Piecake

Gameplay that is a cross between Shining Force and FFT? Awesome art style? Sounds awesome. Shining force was my favorite series on the genesis. Zylo and Peter FL

Fou-Lu

That's it, putting down some money for this, I can spare a bit for such an incredible looking game.

Just trying to decide between the $50 and $100 rewards. T-shirt+poster would be great, but worth $50? Hmm....

Piecake

An emphasis on story: Your choices in dialogue and throughout the game truly affect the story and the people around you. A mature story for adults means forming relationships and making tough decisions; not sex, violence and swearing.

I love that quote. And it makes me hopeful that the story will be good. Now, I dont think a mature story cant include sex, violence and swearing, but a mature story by no means NEEDS to have sex, violence, and swearing - which, i think, a number of people believe

This is actually the first kickstarter project that I am truly tempted to fund, but im worried about how long these chapters are going to be. They say itll be longer than 2 hours, but man, if its only 10 hours, Id rather wait for the price drop on the whole 3 chapter game once its out for a while

I love that quote. And it makes me hopeful that the story will be good. Now, I dont think a mature story cant include sex, violence and swearing, but a mature story by no means NEEDS to have sex, violence, and swearing - which, i think, a number of people believe

This is actually the first kickstarter project that I am truly tempted to fund, but im worried about how long these chapters are going to be. They say itll be longer than 2 hours, but man, if its only 10 hours, Id rather wait for the price drop on the whole 3 chapter game once its out for a while
Funding it now helps them make the game better. You'll never have that opportunity again.

That doesn't give me what I'm asking for. I want to know what happens when they reach 600,000, and then what happens when they reach 700,000 etc. As someone who hasn't backed, I don't care what they are doing with the money now, only what mine could help achieve. That is; I don't see any incentives to donate now that it's funded.
That I can find anyway...

That doesn't give me what I'm asking for. I want to know what happens when they reach 600,000, and then what happens when they reach 700,000 etc. As someone who hasn't backed, I don't care what they are doing with the money now, only what mine could help achieve. That is; I don't see any incentives to donate now that it's funded.
That I can find anyway...

Again:

Austin is onboard, but now we're just trying to save as much as we can to get as large an orchestra as we can!
More money, bigger orchestra for a better soundtrack. Pretty sure it means more money for their other partners as well, so count better audio and better animations into that. And they mentioned hiring QA people and additional help in one of the other updates. They never gave a Shadowrun style map, but they've shown they know what they're doing when it comes to extra funding.

Amended my statement. I want this to succeed and their direction with where the money is going seems very worthwhile so far, but I feel the lack of clarity in what comes beyond what they tell you is on offer, that a map gives, is killing the incentive for new backers to fund. Myself included.

Amended my statement. I want this to succeed and their direction with where the money is going seems very worthwhile so far, but I feel the lack of clarity in what comes beyond what they tell you is on offer, that a map gives, is killing the incentive for new backers to fund. Myself included.

There was no incentive to fund beyond 100k but at 400k we got a boatload of incredible additions. It's simply a matter of faith. All Kickstarters are a matter of faith, come to that.

Based on the one combat scene in the trailer, it looks more like the recent King's Bounty series of games. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I hope nobody's expecting expansive battlefields. I personally wouldn't classify small-grid games like Heroes of Might and Magic, King's Bounty, etc. as traditional turn based tactics games that are played chapter by chapter on larger sized maps.

And I always find it amusing when developers diss grinding/stat building and pointless depth. "Recruit a large roster of unique characters throughout the story, each with different abilities that interact in combat in a deeply tactical way and personalities of their own. The Banner Saga harkens back to classic turn-based gameplay with a strong emphasis on tactics over brute force and endless grinding."

The two most popular tactics games in NA, FFT and TO, are both grind heavy party building sandbox games with a lot of meaningless depth for the player to mess around with and build whatever party suits their fancy to steamroll the game with.. and then do it again and again until they're at 300+ hours played. Even more so with Disgaea, another very popular tactics series. They are cutting themselves short by alienating the largest audience for tactics games, who clearly love grinding if popularity is to be believed.

Piecake

Based on the one combat scene in the trailer, it looks more like the recent King's Bounty series of games. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I hope nobody's expecting expansive battlefields. I personally wouldn't classify small-grid games like Heroes of Might and Magic, King's Bounty, etc. as traditional turn based tactics games that are played chapter by chapter on larger sized maps.

And I always find it amusing when developers diss grinding/stat building and pointless depth. "Recruit a large roster of unique characters throughout the story, each with different abilities that interact in combat in a deeply tactical way and personalities of their own. The Banner Saga harkens back to classic turn-based gameplay with a strong emphasis on tactics over brute force and endless grinding."

The two most popular tactics games in NA, FFT and TO, are both grind heavy party building sandbox games with a lot of meaningless depth for the player to mess around with and build whatever party suits their fancy to steamroll the game with.. and then do it again and again until they're at 300+ hours played. Even more so with Disgaea, another very popular tactics series. They are cutting themselves short by alienating the largest audience for tactics games, who clearly love grinding if popularity is to be believed. Strategy is the least popular thing about turn based tactical level strategy games.

they have multiplayer for those types of people. They can grind and grind and grind to their hearts content playing that

Never been much of a turn-based strategy fan, but Shining Force and FFT were two names even I'd take notice of.

In for $60...I almost never pay full launch retail price these days, and this is the third KS I couldn't resist just this month. Even still, there is no regret, only anticipation.

Piecake

Well, in the end I decided to put down 10 bucks

Even if chapter 1 is only 10 hours, I would say that 10 dollars is a good price for that. Didnt go 50 since I really didnt want all of the extra stuff and I can imagine i can get chapter 2 and 3 for less than 40 dollars combined.

That Landscape is pretty freakin sweet though. No way am i giving 600 though

Less than three days left. I hope they can cross $600,000. I think that would make them the fourth most successful gaming Kickstarter of all time.

Piecake

I have a feeling that they are going to get to 600k.

Its going to be weird waiting like a year for this game though, since I basically just purchased it now.

They did say that they are releasing the free multiplayer a lot sooner though, right?

They already are the fourth. They're the only one besides the big 3 to even cross 500k

Brain fart.

It definitely sets a great example for any other titles from an unproven developer. I love how cleanly this Kickstarter was run. Very responsively, deliberately, and without any drama whatsoever.

I swear they're reading this thread.

Big update and such and such. I want cities, but I would settle for the $650,000 tier.

sixghost

Brain fart.

It definitely sets a great example for any other titles from an unproven developer. I love how cleanly this Kickstarter was run. Very responsively, deliberately, and without any drama whatsoever.

It really goes to show how important it is to show some actual footage of the game, or at least something that evocative of what the game will be, and to have a well designed, well written Kickstarter page. A video pitch seems to help too.

I swear they're reading this thread.

Big update and such and such. I want cities, but I would settle for the $650,000 tier.
Beautiful, this is exactly what I asked for. I can't help but think project could easily have reached beyond a million, due to how far developed the concept and assets already were, had this been present from the beginning or at the very least right after the initial funding goal was met.
Donating now that this has been settled. How serendipitous.

JJD

Damn, I want a PSN version...

I should update my back higher, even though I guess they won't make 650,000.

Damn, I want a PSN version...

I should update my back higher, even though I guess they won't make 650,000.

They could very easily make $650,000. Most of a project's funding tends to come within the first and last 72 hours.

Depending on how people react to this update, $700,000 could be plausible.

JJD

They could very easily make $650,000. Most of a project's funding tends to come within the first and last 72 hours.

Really? They should have added an option to back with 20 or higher and get 2 copies of the game on different platforms.

Going to back with 30 bucks now.

Top Bottom