• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Banner Saga Kickstarter project by Stoic [Ended, 723K funded]

Stabwound, Stoic has already said the cities are multiplayer content that can be added at a later date if the project doesn't reach $700,000. Accept it.

stabwound

Neo Member
Exactly what is confusing about the statement regarding them prioritizing console ports over game content?

$650,000: we can do console ports!
$700,000: we can do player-run cities!

The explanation about how ports can only be done at an arbitrary level doesn't mean anything. They're 600% over their goal. And besides, they could have just as easily put the console port at $700,000 along with the player cities.

I don't feel like wasting any more time arguing about this, and it's clear I'm not going to change anyone's mind and no one is going to change my mind. I simply believe that releasing a console port of a game never is a positive thing for people that want a pure PC experience, and I've never seen a game that goes against that trend. I personally can't support this practice; to me, kickstarter is a platform for helping studios create games that are free from publisher crap and consolization of PC games.

NichM

Banned
Exactly what is confusing about the statement regarding them prioritizing console ports over game content?

I think the confusing part is how you doggedly ignore that the $650,000 milestone is mostly focused on them adding a bunch of events and ending content. (And then also porting it.)

I mean, people keep posting the image so I don't know why I'm writing it out in text for you, but here it is:

$650,000 - The Most Content on the Most Platforms
We'll add as many special events as we can pack in the game and an expanded finale to really end on a high note. We will also be able to port to both XBLA and PSN.

epmode

I simply believe that releasing a console port of a game never is a positive thing for people that want a pure PC experience, and I've never seen a game that goes against that trend.
Similar things can be said about iOS ports but that's already behind us in this case.

scy

I think the confusing part is how you doggedly ignore that the $650,000 milestone is mostly focused on them adding a bunch of events and ending content. (And then also porting it.)

I mean, people keep posting the image so I don't know why I'm writing it out in text for you, but here it is:

The word "port" clearly means everything else is irrelevant. Obviously.

kmob

Neo Member
The art here reminds me a bit of the old Amiga game Heimdall (1& 2) :)

Here's hoping that they make it to 700k for the cities.

The explanation about how ports can only be done at an arbitrary level doesn't mean anything. They're 600% over their goal. And besides, they could have just as easily put the console port at $700,000 along with the player cities.

I don't feel like wasting any more time arguing about this, and it's clear I'm not going to change anyone's mind and no one is going to change my mind. I simply believe that releasing a console port of a game never is a positive thing for people that want a pure PC experience, and I've never seen a game that goes against that trend. I personally can't support this practice; to me, kickstarter is a platform for helping studios create games that are free from publisher crap and consolization of PC games.

Yeah, Half Life 2 was completely ruined by its console ports...

Anyway, holy crap. Someone went for the crazy ass super high price option. Insane. At this point I'm fairly confident they'll get to $700k.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome! I wanted this on my Vita, but PS3 will have to do.. For now!

I hope it reaches 700K for the cities, it sounds like a very awesome addition! If everyone who has pledged so far pledged 5 dollars more it would reach 700K in no time.

Hope it reaches it!

ZoddGutts

Damn it hit 650k, now the game is going to be held back and dumb down thanks due to consoles. jk Seriously good to see it hit 650k and soon 700k.

Piecake

660k...are you kidding?! Seriously. This is unreal.
I'm settling in for another night of work and sneaking peaks at the comments and support rolling in. Today we finished the final polish on the first full, upgradeable class and handed it off to Powerhouse Animation, i can't wait to see what they do! I hope to get all the soon to be completed class concepts up on our site in the coming couple of weeks. Soon after we plan to break down their exact stats and specials for you to begin mentally building a team. We will of course also be putting up gameplay info and lore as well.
Go here to get on the mailing list so we can let you know when stuff goes up:
stoic@stoicstudio.com
I'm beginning to think our dream of player cities is going to be a reality!
If you're in Austin cruise on by the Pour House after 3:00 this Saturday and we can rap about more particulars of the game.
Skal!
-Arnie

Sweetness

I hope they tell us how many characters we can have on the battlefield. I hope its 6+

Free multiplayer details

Oh...woah..I forgot to talk about our initial free 'combat multiplayer' section of the game. We talked about it at lunch and realize we need a new name for it as many people believe it's multiplayer only. This portion of the game contains all modes that are NOT the single player story based game (lets call this call Chapter 1) which, i guess, is why it got stuck with it's unfortunate name.
-You will be able to go through a 'prologue' storyline that will help set up the world you will encounter in the single player game. This is a single player mode. The old Varl (giant with horns) in our trailer video has an important role in this.
-You will be able to combat computer AI in 'skirmish' battles. This is a single player mode.
-You will be able to battle friends. This is a multiplayer mode.
-You will be able to battle random people over the net. This is a multiplayer mode.
Chapter 1 will impact this portion of the game as you move through the story.
Obviously this is putting the game in the most simple language possible and there are deeper ideas at play, but I don't want to ramble on about the full extent until we're absolutely positive that we can provide what we say we will provide.
The intent here is to tell you that it's not just a multiplayer experience. :)
-Arnie

NichM

Banned
Man... I really want to up my pledge to $100, but it looks like doing so means I don't get to submit a crest design anymore. Which is weird.

I decided to fund this kickstarter, but looking through the different tiers I remember one said it paid for all the games chapter while the lower ones only offered the first chapter. That detail is no longer listed anywhere. Did they change their minds or am I just missing something?

NichM

Banned
I decided to fund this kickstarter, but looking through the different tiers I remember one said it paid for all the games chapter while the lower ones only offered the first chapter. That detail is no longer listed anywhere. Did they change their minds or am I just missing something?

If you look at the recent updates, I think #6 clarifies it. Donating at the $50 level and above gets you all three chapters.

Read the Kickstarter description, it's right at the top under FOR OUR NEW BACKERS.

Man... I really want to up my pledge to $100, but it looks like doing so means I don't get to submit a crest design anymore. Which is weird.

That's not true. Read Update 8 again. The guild crest is included.

LukeSmith

This kickstarter is a homerun. I wish nothing but the best for these guys. It's three dudes with a great premise, amazing art style and a video where they convey that more than anything, they want to make this game.

I can't wait to play this and I hope these guys regularly update everyone on its progress.

Fou-Lu

I REALLY can't afford it right now, but I'm still considering upping my pledge. I want to see it reach $700,000.

ReaperXL7

Sweet. So, its coming to PSN then? That's where I wanted it to go.

Yeah I agree, my only question is wether or not the PSN version will have cross compatibility with the Vita. I doubt it, but either way I already pledged and these guys seem really passionate about the project so i'm looking forward to it quite abit.

mclem

I've backed this for a while but only just noticed that a $50 pledge will the other two parts as well, when I'd only pledged $25. I think I need to go rectify that sharpish!

(And, since I have no artistic talent, I think I'll be going for the poster)

RPGCrazied

Isn't this game made by like 15 people? 700k is a lot of money... I guess they won't need to make another game for awhile, lol

Top Bottom