• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best decision of YOUR life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decision not to have children probably, everything else in my life is pure shit.

If I grow balls and decide to go back to school it will be the best decision of my life. Such a horrible career i choose for my self.

Tawpgun

Recently, choosing Northeastern over UCONN (state school) or RIT (other choice).

Met some awesome people and it has been the best year of my life. I'm way too eager to get back.

But because of the cost... its risky. Might have been my best decision or my worst.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Taking college and life more seriously and putting more effort into following the career path I want to follow. I was so different 4 years ago. Glad I pushed myself a little more there.

big_z

What issues did you have, if you don't mind me asking. I have had nothing but good results so far.

Halo, glare, starburst, ghosting, dry eyes, constant eye pain and floaters. Even with the problems I could get slightly better than 20/20 but the vision has regressed to slighty worse than 20/20 over the years. The dry eye and pain started 10 months after surgery, apparently not that uncommon since those problems can take time to become noticeable.

Surgery was oct. 08. I had slighty better than 20/10 with gasses. Fml.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Have you been stalking me? This is pretty much my situation.

Haha of course not.
No really. I bet you thought I was gonna say yes. HA.
But in all seriousness I didn't take high school too seriously nor did I take the first few semesters of college that serious either. I dicked around and didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and I even contemplated leaving school a few times but I'm kind of glad I didn't give up. So I'm glad to hear you're doing well if we're mirroring each other.

Swig_

So far, asking my gf out. She's awesome and I'll probably marry her someday.

In the future, hopefully either with my choice to go or not go to college. I've got some done, but I'm having trouble deciding on a worthwhile major and I know way too many people who wasted their time and money in college. But if I don't go, I'm not sure what to do and if my current job will lead me to a decent career as quickly as going to school would.

Working in Japan for 3 yrs. 2 might have done the job too, but JET was an amazing experience and has had an impact on everything since then.

Also, going back to college after taking a year off for financial reasons. Feels good, man.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
moving from the study of classical piano performance to software engineering. life-changing. life-affirming.

Deciding to attend PAX in 2009 and continuing from there. It sounds weird, but it's been seriously life-changing. I don't hang out with my shitty friends from high school any more. I now know people from all over Canada and the US. I've made the best friends of my life and done all kinds of cool stuff with them. It led me to a 10 day trip to Boston which I don't think I ever would have done before. Greatest decision of my life ever.

I'm actually going down to Seattle soon for Roger Waters doing The Wall live, seeing it with the first PAX friend I had.

It's magical.

marrec

Banned
I chose the blue pill.

I enjoy steak.

99MwZ.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Learning about and pursuing anarchism and a politic of non-domination.

College.

Not for the degree (or not yet at least), but because of the experience. These 4 years CHANGED me, and for the better. I wonder how things would be different if I could go back in time with some of the stuff I do now (style wise, being less socially awkward, actually working out, etc). Would've made it A LOT easier, I figure.

Plan on eventually adding traveling to japan to this list, though.

dejay

Banned
I was into LOST - this was near the end of the first season. I began to suspect the series was being drawn out unnecessarily with too many unanswered questions. I heard on a radio interview at this time that they had a six year plot outline for the series if it was a success. I decided that I wouldn't bother watching the rest. So glad.

Halo, glare, starburst, ghosting, dry eyes, constant eye pain and floaters. Even with the problems I could get slightly better than 20/20 but the vision has regressed to slighty worse than 20/20 over the years. The dry eye and pain started 10 months after surgery, apparently not that uncommon since those problems can take time to become noticeable.

Surgery was oct. 08. I had slighty better than 20/10 with gasses. Fml.

Damn that sucks.

Taking up vipassana meditation in a serious way. I've only recently worked up to about 45 minutes a day over the course of four or five months, and it's surprising how profoundly my experience of reality has changed with such a minimal and gradual (but steady) commitment.

Going to London on my own in a time where nothing seemed to matter any more.
(Absolute worst period of my life)

That particulair weekend turned my life upside down and the poeple i've met there tought me the real importance of life and friendship.
Hard to explain the entire situation, but those who i have met have become like family to me. Perhaps even more than that.

Sometimes i wonder what would have happened if i wouldn't have made the trip....

SRG01

Quitting dancing, once I realized that the people I hang out with matters more than my enjoyment of the activity.

Going to university. I was so scared of the student debt; but the personal transformations I've undergone as a direct result of college are just incredible. I would never have met the people or influences I have in my life right now, and I would probably still be a super-overweight, uber-awkward geek. Friends, memories, and positive changes which will always be with me.

::edit:: Much as youngplaya21 put it seven posts before me.

aznpxdd

*High five OP*

Mine is moving to China as well for my new job. Can't complain, making 6 figures USD at 25, meeting new people, cute girls jumping on me ;)

Merkushio

Neo Member
Mary Jane.

Changed my life for the better. I'm more focussed, far less socially awkward, and gave me a love of science.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Working in Japan for 3 yrs. 2 might have done the job too, but JET was an amazing experience and has had an impact on everything since then.

Also, going back to college after taking a year off for financial reasons. Feels good, man.

This is what I'm looking to do. I've been off more than a year though. I look forward to that being one of my better decisions

The Lamp

Studying engineering. It's very difficult at times, but nothing is so rewarding as learning how to create things for mankind using the beautiful language of math and science.

Finally getting off my ass and going back to school. With working full-time and a continued desire to be social, it's gotten overwhelming at times, but I'm far happier than when I was drifting aimlessly and working at GameStop full-time for chump change.

Quitting dancing, once I realized that the people I hang out with matters more than my enjoyment of the activity.

Quitting dancing is a good thing, SRG? Is there more story behind this? Dancing seems like a good decision to take up, not quit.

This is what I'm looking to do. I've been off more than a year though. I look forward to that being one of my better decisions

You got this, Tashi. :) Sometimes the break really helps. Wasn't happy to leave, but I had a much better 2 years when I went back and it really does feel satisfying to finish that kind of commitment. You'll probably go back into it more refreshed (in the studying sense) and hungrier for that degree.

Also, you didn't mention your weight loss thing! You sounded like you were having great success last I heard. How's it going?

Vitten

Finally telling the girl I had a crush on I liked her. Been together now for a year and making big plans. Thought I was going to be permanently stuck in the forever alone-club.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Moving out west after I finished school. It was a complete spur of the moment decision that ended up being one of the best I've ever made.

Wiktor

So far - deciding on a whim to send CV to biggest polish gaming website. I've started working there a week later and it's been going for 2,5 years now. Best job I ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom