• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best horror game of all time is...

Bass260

You got it right.

Silent Hill 2 is by far the best horror game ever made and one of the greatest games of all time. No game touches it's emotional depth and narrative.

Resident Evil Remake is a good second though - the level design of the Spencer Mansion is terrific.

Also, iirc Team Silent isn't really a thing. As in there wasn't really a consistent roster you can credit.

You're correct in that there weren't consistent members across the board, but they did actually refer to developers that made them as Team Silent. Here's one from an old Famitsu issue

FM: Silent Hill for Playstation portable is on the schedule for opening in Q1 2007 has team silent been taking up time working on the portable project which is why we do not see silent hill 5 in the public?

Akira: Team Silent are working on the Japan project and are not involved in Silent Hill: Origins. I have composed the 15 musical, 4 vocal tracks for the game which is now completed.

I believe it may originate from Toyama (the creator of Silent Hill) as he refers to the teams that he works on by the games that they make. For example, when they were making Siren they were known as Team Siren, now that they're making Gravity Rush they're known at Team Gravity

teamgravityh0jvd.png

And here's something fairly rare, a pic of the original Team Silent

teamsilentpyk9w.png

xVodevil

The Shalebridge Cradle level in Thief Deadly Shadows. Shit was scary as hell.

Bonus points to the first half of System Shock 2 and the hotel level from Vampire: The Masquerade.

SS2 definitely!

Also, how come there is no Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth mention yet?

Keihart

Silent Hill 2 is for Silen Hill what Final Fantasy 7 is for Final Fantasy. My favorite horror games would be between Clock Tower, Silent Hill 1, Siren and Soma.

I've come to terms with it as well when I considered everything in the game, what it represents, the subtle and macabre way its presented, it's absolute dedication to adult horror without being too cheesy or placating for the player... Besides maybe the little girl- but even she has a purpose amongst the others you meet.

The only thing that compares to me in terms of organics is Bloodborne. The other Souls games are well thought out too, but Bloodborne is kind of disgusting, and falls into the category of horror. Not a shock that it's by far the best game I've played across the last two gens :p

Even with all that said about Silent Hill 2, which is already high and worthy praise, it does all of that and can manage to get the waterworks going at the end. That's pretty special.

Disgraced

You're correct in that there weren't consistent members across the board, but they did actually refer to developers that made them as Team Silent. Here's one from an old Famitsu issue
FM: Silent Hill for Playstation portable is on the schedule for opening in Q1 2007 has team silent been taking up time working on the portable project which is why we do not see silent hill 5 in the public?

Akira: Team Silent are working on the Japan project and are not involved in Silent Hill: Origins. I have composed the 15 musical, 4 vocal tracks for the game which is now completed.
I believe it may originate from Toyama (the creator of Silent Hill) as he refers to the teams that he works on by the games that they make. For example, when they were making Siren they were known as Team Siren, now that they're making Gravity Rush they're known at Team Gravity

teamgravityh0jvd.png

And here's something fairly rare, a pic of the original Team Silent

teamsilentpyk9w.png
Yo, that's awesome info. Thank you. 👌 That photo.

Resident Evil 4. It's certainly not the scariest, but it's absolutely still horror, and it is the best.

REmake after that.

Then Silent Hill.

I'm not even sure that there are any horror films better than Silent Hill 2. Different craft, absolutely, but just in the general makings of horror.

Luq

I would pick Silent Hill. The first and second one ofc. Maybe I was easier to scare back in the days but man... Nothing ever came close to that.

Some parts of Outlast legitimately scared the shit out of me though, got to admit that.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Totally agree with you OP SH2 made my daughter what she is today 99% of movies she owns are horror ones lol

There certainly haven't been movies scaring me like Silent Hill (as an adult). But then again, I don't find horror movies scary, unlike several horror games out there. I watch them for a good mystery or simply suspense.

In terms of being scared silly? P.T and nothing comes close.

Although it's just a demo, this is the first game to ever scare me and I've played a few horror games.

Had me legit S-H-O-O-K and I didn't even beat it.

Bass260

I'm not even sure that there are any horror films better than Silent Hill 2. Different craft, absolutely, but just in the general makings of horror.

In many ways I agree - yet it's also comparing two drastically different mediums. The sheer psychological horror that SH2 (and 1 & 3) achieves through its gameplay is its real strength. Scenarios like
Pyramid Head chasing you down the hospital hallway
and
Mary begging you not to leave during the final hallway
just wouldn't be possible in any other medium. Video games have the capability to create the most terrifying horror scenarios when you meld gameplay with narrative properly like Team Silent did.

In many ways I agree - yet it's also comparing two drastically different mediums.

Yep, as I said, different craft. I'm just looking at the overall horror genre. It's also much easier to immerse and unnerve a player as they're in control of the game world, whereas a film director has to apply tension through filmmaking techniques and it's a lot easier to fuck that up.

But I think we're on the same page as the rest of your post is spot on.

Simbabbad

But for me SH2's combination of environments, art, sound effects, music, and all the symbolic implications are absolutely unnerving. That's what makes it "scary" to me, and the environments that start building toward the climax, from when you go into the historical society, down into an old underground prison just totally weirds me out. I'm always super uncomfortable during all of that.

Scary is such a broad term that it's all gonna be highly subjective. If I'm super creeped out, I do feel scared. The Silent Hill games have much more going on than that though, which is why it's my favorite horror series.
The problem is Silent Hill 2 has gameplay issues that got me out of the game (and I didn't have any problem with the first game on that front), and the narration and characters didn't get me into it at all. Yes, there are plenty of good symbols and everything, but I watched it more than I played it, and watched it like something somewhat interesting happening on screen without ever feeling immersed or concerned in any way whatsoever. Whereas with all the games I mentioned, I was in the story.

Honestly, Silent Hill 2 is IMO vastly overrated, Silent Hill 3 is to me superior in every imaginable way, and Fatal Frame is scarier than any Silent Hill game IMO. And if we put aside the scare factor and gameplay, and we're only talking about story depth and psychology and telling things about the human condition, then Silent Hill Shattered Memories is to me leagues above it.

Oneself

I agree with the OP, SH2 is amazing, the best overall.

Other than that, I remember being scared playing through RE1 when it first came out (especially the 1st half), there was nothing quite like it. Same for SH & RE2. Oh and the 1st time I played Clock Tower as well.

Quite a while later, Condemned gave me that strange feeling again. The sound design was and still is insanely good.
Recently, PT scared the shit out of me like most people ;)

Honestly, Silent Hill 2 is IMO vastly overrated, Silent Hill 3 is to me superior in every imaginable way, and Fatal Frame is scarier than any Silent Hill game IMO. And if we put aside the scare factor and gameplay, and we're only talking about story depth and psychology and telling things about the human condition, then Silent Hill Shattered Memories is to me leagues above it.

Well-- you're certainly entitled to feel that way :p

Nobody's telling anybody they're wrong here, it's hard to get much more subjective than the horror genre.

I will say I did think Shattered Memories was pretty interesting, relatively well-written, clever, and had a great twist. It's not SH2 for me, but I do appreciate it and think of it as a unique game.

inm8num2

Sorry, I can't list just one!

Psychological horror: Sanitarium, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

Atmospheric/survival horror: Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Outlast, Penumbra series

Action horror: F.E.A.R., System Shock 2, Blood, Clive Barker's Undying, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

Lovecraftian horror: Scratches, Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet

(I never got to play the entirety of a Resident Evil or Silent Hill game.)

If I had to pick a favorite out of these in terms of how much it unnerved me, I'd pick I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream even if the game itself is pretty flawed in terms of design (dead ends, bugs, etc.). That game and story simply get under one's skin.

When it comes to story and how creeped out I feel, I'm struggling to think of any personally. I'm definitely not proclaiming it as a fact, but again I can't think of anything.

To me it's the ability to communicate supernatural or psychological realism, and no game comes close to matching that against the likes of The Shining, Exorcist, Don't Look Now, Eraserhead, and countless others. To me it's wax museum vs, well, "real life" of cinema. But hey, mocap is getting better all the time :p

TBH I've never been more tense playing a game than I have with ZombiU. So I would either give it to that or plain old Resident Evil with RE4 closely behind.

To me it's the ability to communicate supernatural or psychological realism, and no game comes close to matching that against the likes of The Shining, Exorcist, Don't Look Now, Eraserhead, and countless others. To me it's wax museum vs, well, "real life" of cinema. But hey, mocap is getting better all the time :p
I find this post very amusing considering I find The Shining to be awful and Exorcist one of the greatest works of art put to film... but not in any way scary. Scary good, yes, but scary scary? Nah. Neither come close to Silent Hill 2 or 3 imo

But here's a fun picture of me at The Exorcist steps just 2 weeks ago! It was my first!

kungfuian

Fatal Frame Crimson Butterfly. Nothing kept me on my toes like it.

Fatal_Frame_II_-_Crimson_Butterfly.jpg

Yep easily my favorite of those mentioned. The first one is pretty great too.

Other than that lots of good mentions in this thread. I also think RE 3 deserves a mention. I wouldn't say it's the 'best' horror game or anything like that but I love the fact that nemesis can bust into any room at any time and is constantly hunting you down.

While I don't see it that way, it seems like a fair enough personal feeling. It's all fiction to me, whether "real" or made in a computer.

A.edrerai

Banned
Being new player was super intense in dark souls, I remember being lost for 40 minutes and hitting Andre without wanting it, after playing 20 more hours I realized I couldn't upgrade from him and manly tears rolled to my eyes as I put the controler down and took a 3 months pause from the game.

Cool pic, Cipher.

The best are probably:

Gregory Horror Show
Clock Tower
Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet
Call of Cthulhu: Prisoner of Ice
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Clive Barker's Undying
Silent Hill
Silent Hill 2
Waxworks
Pathologic
I Have no Mouth, and I Must Scream
ShadowMan
Trilby's Notes
Rule of Rose
Siren

With my favorite being Clock Tower.

poodaddy

I really enjoyed RE Remake, but the only horror game to truly scare the piss out of me was PT, so probably that. Alien Isolation is genius as well.

Zukuu

Banned
Why have a discussion when you already announced the clear winner? :p Silent Hill 2 is amazing.

Shoutouts to Silent Hill 1 tho. The biggest scare of my life with a game I had with "Haunting Grounds" tho... twice and both with Daniella.

I find this post very amusing considering I find The Shining to be awful and Exorcist one of the greatest works of art put to film... but not in any way scary. Scary good, yes, but scary scary? Nah. Neither come close to Silent Hill 2 or 3 imo

But here's a fun picture of me at The Exorcist steps just 2 weeks ago! It was my first!

Shining...awful? How dare you! It's interesting, people keep bringing up scary meters as the rubric for good horror but that to me is the least important part of it due to how subjective that aspect is, and unless I read the op wrong this isn't even about "scariest" anything, not sure how that tangent got started.

For me it boils down to, is there a realism and logic to the world and proceedings, and do the characters behave accordingly within those parameters. For film a lot of that relies on the performances which of course isn't going to be communicated well on gen3 hardware, but sure back in the day spoopy.

As for scary scary? Well Dreadhalls made me make sounds I hadn't heard come out of my throat before so there's that.

Cool pic btw.

RSB

Banned
Silent Hill 2.

It's not the scariest horror game I've played (it's the least scary of the Team Silent games, funnily enough) nor the most fun, but it is the best for sure.

And yeah, I miss Team Silent too OP. The horror genre is not the same without them.

Best horror game? I would agree with Silent Hill 2.

Scariest?

P.T. without question.
I agree with this.

Shining...awful? How dare you! It's interesting, people keep bringing up scary meters as the rubric for good horror but that to me is the least important part of it due to how subjective that aspect is, and unless I read the title wrong this isn't even about "scariest" anything, not sure how that tangent got started.

For me it boils down to, is there a realism and logic to the world and proceedings, and do the characters behave accordingly within those parameters. For film a lot of that relies on the performances which of course isn't going to be communicated well on gen3 hardware, but sure back in the day spoopy.

As for scary scary? Well Dreadhalls made me make sounds I hadn't heard come out of my throat before so there's that.

Cool pic btw.
I agree 100% with the subjective nature of horror. There's so much to love about horror in so many different ways that I can't imagine policing the "right" way to dig it.

I just hate Kubrick's direction, which leads me to hating The Shining. The first time I saw it, I thought it was alright but not scary, but the second time I saw it I realized I hated it (and the audience I saw it with hated it as well). It's my favorite of his films, too. Goes to show that he really is my least favorite director of all time.

My definition of horror is... really relaxed, actually. Considering that I've consumed so much horror media, I'm so desensitized to it, at this point all I ask for is novelty. And the easiest horror novelty to get for me at this point is of the ironic variety (the so bad it's good stuff) or the "easy score" variety (like found footage movies).

The horror that REALLY sticks it to me injects me with this primal fear that as someone who considers themselves very courageous, makes me physically incapable of action. That's what Silent Hill 2 and 3 did, that's what FNAF did, and that's what The Blair Witch Project did (the scariest film ever made imo), and Rosemary's Baby too. The realism aspect isn't a requirement for masterful terror as much as the sheer weight of it all collapsing in on you in a feeling of a complete loss of agency. As someone who feels agency rushing through their blood every moment of every day, this feeling is almost impossible and anything that makes me feel that way is truly unforgettable.

And thank you, I had a great time c:

I agree 100% with the subjective nature of horror. There's so much to love about horror in so many different ways that I can't imagine policing the "right" way to dig it.

I just hate Kubrick's direction, which leads me to hating The Shining. The first time I saw it, I thought it was alright but not scary, but the second time I saw it I realized I hated it (and the audience I saw it with hated it as well). It's my favorite of his films, too. Goes to show that he really is my least favorite director of all time.

My definition of horror is... really relaxed, actually. Considering that I've consumed so much horror media, I'm so desensitized to it, at this point all I ask for is novelty. And the easiest horror novelty to get for me at this point is of the ironic variety (the so bad it's good stuff) or the "easy score" variety (like found footage movies).

The horror that REALLY sticks it to me injects me with this primal fear that as someone who considers themselves very courageous, makes me physically incapable of action. That's what Silent Hill 2 and 3 did, that's what FNAF did, and that's what The Blair Witch Project did (the scariest film ever made imo), and Rosemary's Baby too. The realism aspect isn't a requirement for masterful terror as much as the sheer weight of it all collapsing in on you in a feeling of a complete loss of agency. As someone who feels agency rushing through their blood every moment of every day, this feeling is almost impossible and anything that makes me feel that way is truly unforgettable.

And thank you, I had a great time c:

Nice explanation, I see where you're coming from, the total loss of agency part is absolutely something that is difficult to find in terms of realism at depicting it. Your Rosemary mention is reminding me yet again I still need to see Repulsion, the mental collapse/illness angle is something that gets me as some of the most effective horror when done right.

Speaking of Blair Witch...I'm guessing you're looking forward to The Woods? Seeing as it might be a stealth sequel and they remembered to make it found footage again! The former is one of my favs as well.

IvorB

For me horror films just need to truly horrify me. In order to do that they need to be smart too. Just seeing some gore on a screen doesn't horrify me. It's all about the mind game. Classic horror movies like Martyrs, The Exorcist, A L'interieur, Texas Chainsaw Massacre match the visuals with a twisted head job. But horror games affect me totally differently. There's just more immediacy and immersion to it. I have to reactions to things that happen in horror games that I just would never have from watching a film.

Dead Space 2 is actually my favorite horror game, though I guess it's not the best horror game of all time. I love space horror. The first two games had the perfect story, great tension, great action, everything. It's the kind of horror that keeps pushing you forward, whereas games like Silent Hill made me terrified to progress at times.

deadspacejpg-e31f70_1280w.jpg

Dead Space 3 had its moments, but the narrative really lets it down. But the first half of the game is tremendous.

Top Bottom