• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Bang Theory is choosing between PS4 and XB1 #BOVESPA #DODONGO #BOJANGLES

vypek

I hate it because of it bad jokes and the fact that the IT Crowd is the better show at mocking both geek and non geek without being insulting.

Plus the fact that I haven't see any smart black people on the show bothers me.

My DVR still records this show when there isn't a time conflict but I'm not crazy about it. I watch a surprising amount of shows that I don't really care about. I can cut out A LOT of the shows I watch actually. Just never feel like it.

Note: Neil deGrasse Tyson was a cameo appearance at some point if that helps.

EXIE

Banned
Why do people get so mad about a show featuring fictitious characters? Do you know why these characters are hyperbolic representations of real nerds? Cos real nerds aren't fucking funny cos they whine non stop about the smallest shit like this. If it was realistic it would be depressing as fuck.

Damn this circlejerk of a thread.

Zephyrus

Banned
You are complaining about people complaining. Hypocrite.

And I have tried watching the show on more than one occasion and did not enjoy it. Ironically enough though, I am not in this thread complaining about the show. So based on your complaints, I have one of the more valid things to say in this thread.

And on the subject of ignorance, you have assumed that people complain because they don't "get it". You also assumed I have never watched the show because again, I don't "get it". I'm beginning to think your constant bannings has little to do with your delivery of opinions and more with to do your questionable leaps in logic.

They are both TV shows that requires a persons interest to keep them coming back. I think they are extremely comparable. And while I agree that The Wire is always an easy example, it is still the best one in my opinion.
I am getting awfully tired of you assuming that I'm assuming anything about others. I wrote about the people I've SEEN in this thread complaining about the show and then going on and saying they actually don't watch it or care about it.

You then mentioned I was assuming something about you not watching the show. My apologies. The english language is a tricky thing. I generalized and talked about the people complaing ( You can mean more than one people, you know? You didn't find it odd that I would assume you didn't watch the show despite you giving no proof of whether that was true or not?).

And for the love of god. Read the fucking meaning of the word. It's like I'm writing to a parrot here.

Calling me an hypocrite based on the subject I'm complaining about, means that I also go to threads about things I know nothing about and complain about how bad they are.

Stick to words you know. Otherwise your image is nothing more than an imbecile trying to talk to others with "fancy" words.

ViolentP

The only thing they have in common is that they both air on tv and I don't think that makes for a good comparison.

I guess that's just the extent of what watching TV is for me. If it's on TV, I either like it or don't. There isn't really much more of a commitment beyond that.

I am getting awfully tired of you assuming that I'm assuming anything about others. I wrote about the people I've SEEN in this thread complaining about the show and then going on and saying they actually don't watch it or care about it.

You then mentioned I was assuming something about you not watching the show. My apologies. The english language is a tricky thing. I generalized and talked about the people complaing ( You can mean more than one people, you know? You didn't find it odd that I would assume you didn't watch the show despite you giving no proof of whether that was true or not?).

And for the love of god. Read the fucking meaning of the word. It's like I'm writing to a parrot here.

Calling me an hypocrite based on the subject I'm complaining about, means that I also go to threads about things I know nothing about and complain about how bad they are.

Stick to words you know. Otherwise your image is nothing more than an imbecile trying to talk to others with "fancy" words.

There is no need to get upset. Just because you're acting like a hypocrite doesn't make you a bad person. You're just getting emotional. It's not worth it. I'm glad you enjoy the show. It's only a pity that you feel the need to justify your beliefs by telling yourself that everyone else is wrong.

UrbanRats

Why do people get so mad about a show featuring fictitious characters? Do you know why these characters are hyperbolic representations of real nerds? Cos real nerds aren't fucking funny cos they whine non stop about the smallest shit like this. If it was realistic it would be depressing as fuck.

not if you put a laughtrack in it it wouldn't.

Zephyrus

Banned
I guess that's just the extent of what watching TV is for me. If it's on TV, I either like it or don't. There isn't really much more of a commitment beyond that.

isn't that basically what everything is?
You either like something or you don't. There isn't really much more of a commitment beyond that.

Syrus

Banned
wow people get a grip. this show is silly funny and you cant deny it.

haters gonna hate I guess but this show is awesome most of the time

i
And if you see nothing changing between the characters, you haven't paid attention.
Sheldon is a lot more human now then he was in the first seasons. He has even kissed Amy, something deemed impossible on a character that was incapable of even thinking that he was about to be hugged by a friend.

That is, I would say, just the normal "evolution" of a sitcom-character and just really natural for a sitcom-character.

I am just saying most of the jokes repeat themselves, because they are based on the interactions between the characters, that also repeat.
Raj having some "gay" talk with Howard.
Penny not understanding some "geeky" thing and getting ridiculed by Sheldon because of that.
Amy wanting to have some sexual/romantic interaction with Sheldon, but getting rejected by Sheldon almost all the time or some bizarre, "funny" interaction follows.

It is a bit like the South Park episode with the Family Guy writers. They put together those characters to interact, but what follows is always almost the same. The same joke in a different package.

This is just my personal criticism I have with this show. I like to watch it and sometimes I just wanna watch some mindless sitcom while coming home. It is entertaining to me, no question. But not really because its written intelligent or because the characters have an interesting personality.

Raxus

Watching the show with fresh eyes helps. It can be pretty insufferable at times but it is entertaining and way way way less offensive than CBS' other comedies.

Also, Sheldon has aspergers.

No, really. Watch the show with that in mind and he makes a little more sense.

Kazerei

Banned
z0uswZ3.png

I think we're pretty close to Bingo on the fourth row, depending on what you consider a lengthy post. We just need to hit Sheldon = GAF.

Zephyrus

Banned
That is, I would say, just the normal "evolution" of a sitcom-character and just really natural for a sitcom-character.

I am just saying most of the jokes repeat themselves, because they are based on the interactions between the characters, that also repeat.
Raj having some "gay" talk with Howard.
Penny not understanding some "geeky" thing and getting ridiculed by Sheldon because of that.
Amy wanting to have some sexual/romantic interaction with Sheldon, but getting rejected by Sheldon almost all the time or some bizarre, "funny" interaction follows.

It is a bit like the South Park episode with the Family Guy writers. They put together those characters to interact, but what follows is always almost the same. The same joke in a different package.

This is just my personal criticism I have with this show. I like to watch it and sometimes I just wanna watch some mindless sitcom while coming home. It is entertaining to me, no question. But not really because its written intelligent or because the characters have an interesting personality.

well, I agree.

But on a show made for the masses, you can't expect something that could be an epic literature.

ViolentP

isn't that basically what everything is?
You either like something or you don't. There isn't really much more of a commitment beyond that.

Again, then why can't two TV shows be compared to each other? Not directing that question to you, but rather to the person saying The Wire and TBBT are not comparable.

Boken

Banned
Because Sheldon is an idiot, hell in the real world he would all alone due his I am superior than you attitude.

you realise that the bing bang theory is loosely based on the sherlock holmes model of characters?

are you going to say the same thing about holmes?

atr0cious

As unfunny as the show is, can we please not equate it to the oppression of race of people? It's called acting. It's like no one remembers Revenge of the Nerds.

Is Tom Cruise the most hateful man of all time for doing both vampiric and spy "blackface"?

Corpekata

Banned
you realise that the bing bang theory is loosely based on the sherlock holmes model of characters?

are you going to say the same thing about holmes?

Quite a lot of Sherlock Holmes character DO end up alone and alienating everyone. Most of the characters based on him usually have like 1 close relationship and that's it. House was another recent one, and that's a pretty major part of his character arc.

Zephyrus

Banned
Again, then why can't two TV shows be compared to each other? Not directing that question to you, but rather to the person saying The Wire and TBBT are not comparable.

Of course they can. They just aren't from the same genre as the other so the comparison is pretty shallow.

Imagine me comparing Halo to civilization and mention why Halo is so much better because it's a FPS. I'd look ridiculous while doing it.

I do not believe you used the word in the right context.

*straightens glasses*
*adjusts suspenders*

Zephyrus

Banned

There is no need to get upset. Just because you're acting like a hypocrite doesn't make you a bad person. You're just getting emotional. It's not worth it. I'm glad you enjoy the show. It's only a pity that you feel the need to justify your beliefs by telling yourself that everyone else is wrong.
Sure. I'll stop being a hypocrite when you stop posting death threats to everyone you quote.

Deal?

ViolentP

Of course they can. They just aren't from the same genre as the other so the comparison is pretty shallow.

Imagine me comparing Halo to civilization and mention why Halo is so much better because it's a FPS. I'd look ridiculous while doing it.

I don't think you would look ridiculous at all. I think it's relative to your investment in the hobby. If me and all my friends were avid gamers to the point of lengthy discussion, sure, it would be a broad comparison. But we aren't and we don't. If someone mentions they once played Halo, I wouldn't be against describing Civilization immediately after.

It's just talk.

Sure. I'll stop being a hypocrite when you stop posting death threats to everyone you quote.

Deal?

You got it.

vypek

Oh... right. Damn, good thing you wrapped spoiler tags, sounds like there's lots of fans of the show in this thread

[laugh track]

/dead

Yeah, I don't know what the expectations are for spoilering a TV show. lol.

I gotta tell you, it was really stupid hearing that excuse. Might be time to clean my DVR and purge of it of many series

Oersted

The show is even aware of that. Remember the North Korean kid, who was smarter than Sheldon? Ended up with a woman faster than they did. Or the goodlooking and funny scientist? Or the very fact that they keep making jokes about themselves? The show is far from perfect and has become boring recently, but it is passable.

What the flying fuck?

Top Bottom