• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Pokemon XY FAQ Thread! Spoilers in tags, please.

9KAobPo.png

Hi Folks, thought I'd compile a list of the most frequently asked questions about this game, since we keep seeing the same questions asked repeatedly. I'm trawling the OT for repeated questions and I'll compile them all here for ease of use.

If you have any questions about the game, check here first, since it's probably been asked!

UG6nsFM.png

My 3D isn't working!
This game only uses 3D in certain events, and during battles. On the regular overworld the 3D is turned off.

How big is the download version?
About 14,000 blocks.

Can we still Critical Capture?
Yes, Critical Capture still occurs. This is when you throw a Pokeball, and it shakes whilst in the air. This is a very reliable capture, that seems to occur more as you catch more Pokemon.

Can I use TMs more than once?
Yup, they are still infinite use as in Gen V.

How does EXP Share work in this game?
Pokemon who fight get 100% exp (unsplit), Pokemon in party get 50% exp (unsplit). It's been called overpowered, but it helps a lot for levelling out your party evenly. Stops your grass/bird Pokemon falling behind in an ice cave, for example.

Can you explain Super Training, Pokemon-Amie?
Pokemon-Amie Guide
Please PM me with a Super Training Guide if you find one.

Any seasons or Day/Night cycle?
Day/Night cycle remains, but seasons are gone. Unknown how this affects Deerling and Sawsbuck.

Where can I get Heart Scales easily?
Try this guide on Reddit!

Is there any Streetpass on this game?
Yes, it's hidden in the Holo Caster. You've probably not looked there, so go check it out.

Can I find out what moves do in battle?
Yes. Hold the L button as you select a move to bring up its information.

y71HSGf.png

How many new Pokemon are in this game?
The Pokedex seems to top off at 718 at this point, ending in Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde.
This doesn't include Mega-Evolutions. There may be unannounced Legendary Event Pokemon or Forms Nintendo aren't revealing, though.

Can I use the GTS to find Pokemon that aren't in my Pokedex?
Yes! At the bottom of the alphabetical list, tap "What Pokemon" and you can enter the name of the Pokemon you're after. So want a Ditto early on? Just ask for it!

How can I Mega Evolve?
This happens as part of the story. Expect it at roughly 10 hours in, depending on your playstyle. You'll need to obtain the Mega stones for most Pokemon individually, although your Kanto Starter, Torchic Event and
Lucario
all come with their Mega Stones.

How often can I Mega Evolve?
Once per battle. But it costs nothing so you can do it in any battle.

What are the version exclusives?
X <--> Y
Clauncher <--> Skrelp
Swirlix <--> Spritzee
Staryu <--> Shellder
Pinsir <--> Heracross
Sawk <--> Throh
Houndour <--> Electrike
Poochyena <--> Purrloin
Aron <--> Larvitar
Xerneas <--> Yveltal

Also Charizard X and Y, and Mewtwo X and Y.

What's a Shiny Pokemon?
A shiny Pokemon is an extremely rare color variation of a Pokemon that has a sparkle effect when it enters battle. The sparkle part is important; a few Pokemon like Hippopatas, Basculin, Shellos, and Vivilion have common color variations based on gender or region, and these do not have the sparkle effect. The most famous example of a shiny is the red Gyarados from Gold and Silver, which is one of the few scripted shiny encounters. I'd recommend keeping a healthy supply of Pokeballs at all times on the off-chance that you see one; they're REALLY rare.

Is this a Shiny Pokemon!?
Toxi said:
A Shiny Pokemon will have a red star on its status summary screen. In battle, they will sparkle as they appear. If in doubt, catch it to be sure. If it's not a shiny, you've only lost a Pokeball or two. I'd recommend using False Swipe to lower the Pokemon's HP to make sure it doesn't die (beware recoil from attacks and weather effects, though...)

The Daycare man won't call me over if he has an egg!
When the Daycare has an egg for you, the man will face the path of route 7. If there is no egg, he'll be facing towards the daycare pen.

What Pokeball should I use?
Under normal conditions? Ultra Ball
At the start of a battle? Quick Ball (first turn only, VERY reliable)
At night? Dusk Ball
At sea? Dive/Net Ball

Do Shiny Pokemon have shiny box icons?
No.

What are the benefits of using Pokemon-Amie?
EXP Boosts, increased changes of critical hits, Pokemon shrugging off status ailments... it's worth doing! Oh, and your Pokemon looks at you during battle!

Do the Poke-Ami boosts work in Wifi Battles?
As far as I can tell, no. It would probably make games quite unfair.

What is Pokerus, and how do I get it? How do I keep it?
Pokerus is an extremely rare 'disease' your Pokemon can catch through contact with infected Pokemon in the wild. It has no negative effects, it merely increases the amount of bonus you get through EV training. Pokemon with Pokerus usually heal overnight, meaning the benefits continue but they lose the ability to spread the disease. To prevent this, keep a 'mon with live Pokerus in your boxes. Or a few of them! If you're lucky enough to get Pokerus, infect some random stuff and send it out into wonder trades!

Breeding takes ages...
Keep a Pokemon with Flame Body in your party to greatly increase the speed of egg hatching.

What fossil should I pick?
Jaw Fossil for Tyrunt
Sail Fossil for Amaura

How do I get good Wonder Trades?
It's random, so just keep trying. If you trade a Bidoof, you're part of the problem.

Where's my Torchic?
Use Mystery Gift from the main menu, then get it via Wifi connection. The Torchic is only available for a limited time.

What is the little silver disc beside some of my Pokemon names?
This shows your Pokemon knows a Field Move. For example: Surf, Flash, Fly, Rock Smash, Strength. Moves which can be used outside of battle, such as HMs.

What Pokemon do I ride in the overworld?
As far as I've found: Skiddo, Gogoat, Rhyhorn, Mamoswine, Lapras (with surf). Maybe more?

How do I get Sylveon?
Video guide! Thanks to @lex!

OXsGzNb.png

Is there a map of Lumiose City?
Yes

How do I enter the boutique in Lumiose City?
Getting yourself known in the city helps. Trim your Furfrou, fight in cafes, visit the museum etc.. also this:

Getting into the boutique requires you to be wearing a stylish enough outfit. Buying a bunch of stuff from Anistar and wearing that seems to be the best way to get in, I'm not sure of the specifics for male trainers but for females you seem to just need to trigger the pink flower flourish effect when the game shows you the outfit you chose (default is music notes).

How many female hairstyles are there?
During the main quest, 8 hairstyles. And here's the colours.

As for the haircuts you can unlock pigtails and ponytail as options for female trainers. Unlocking conditions seem to be fully based on getting a lot of haircuts, although I did so while wearing a "stylish" outfit as well. You'll know when you unlock the haircuts because the lady will have different dialogue when you walk in the door to the salon.

Can I take off my hat?
Nope, you keep your berries under there.

When do I find the second gym, did I miss something?
Stay the course, you'll get there. There's a very long space between the first and second gyms, but the rest are much closer together.

How do I get more outfits?
Most boutiques change their wares daily. You can see if a town has a boutique on the town map by tapping on the town. It appears that the female trainers have a wider range of outfits to collect.

How to find more O-Powers?
Look for Mr Bonding in hotels and Pokemon centers. Using a power a lot will unlock a higher powered and more expensive version.

Why should I wear shorts?
They're comfy and easy to wear.

Should I tip? What does it do?
Can't find a conclusive answer just yet. Current speculation is that it affects shiny rates. Unconfirmed.

DON'T save in Lumiose City?
Horrible Bug - A few Pokemon X & Y players are reporting a problem saving their games in Lumiose City, one of the game's hubs. Saving in and around the streets outside the city have caused the game to lock up, forcing players to manually shut down the 3DS by holding down the power button. Once rebooted, the game loads the save and then freezes yet again in an infinite loop. You can see a video of this glitch above. This save glitch has been found in both physical and digital copies of the game.

Okay, that's all I can see in the time I have available. I hope this helps at least a few of you!!

Credit for some questions goes to GAF and Reddit :p

Which one should I buy? X or Y? Does it really makes any difference?

Look up the legendaries and exclusive Pokemon and see if there's any you'd be missing out on. Also, see which cover art you prefer if you're going physical.

Other than that, not much difference.

Meia

So clothes change day after day from the shops? Is it like that from the hairstylist too? Saw someone in a spoiler thread with pigtails on a female trainer, and got jealous. :p

Also applies to hair color too, as I've only seen brown/blonde/black.

^^I had orange as a hair color choice when I went to the salon.

Also how does the day/night cycle work in this game? I was playing late into the night the first time I got it but it was still light out.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm pretty sure Tipping somehow effects the encounter rate of Shinies, but I have no proof...it'd explain why so many people seem to run into them now.

Fou-Lu

How does pokemon amie work?

Where do i get the stone that evolves doublade?

Easiest way is super training, if you have a Pokemon who is fully trained just do the secret missions until the one that gives you dusk stone, I think it's the sixth. You can also get one in Terminus Cave.

Any one know where a TM for earthquake is?

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
This shows your Pokemon knows a Field Move. For example: Surf, Flash, Fly, Rock Smash, Strength. Moves which can be used outside of battle, such as HMs.
Save bug question added.

Thanks never noticed this post first.

Can I also ask anyone. When it comes to collecting Pokemon, is it basically when it is obtained in the Pokedex?

Thanks never noticed this post first.

Can I also ask anyone. When it comes to collecting Pokemon, is it basically when it is obtained in the Pokedex?

It's kind of confusing, I think the Pokedex number on your save screen is Seen, and in the Pokedex main screen is Caught?

Andrefpvs

Do any of the old 649 Pokémon, apart from Eevee, get any new regular evolution or pre-evolution? Please don't go into specifics, I'd just like a Yes or No answer :)

So there is no difference between TMs and HMs now? They're both infinite use?

The difference is that you still can't forget HMs while on the field, you need the Move Deleter (person) to do that for you.

Should I tip? What does it do?
Can't find a conclusive answer just yet. Current speculation is that it affects shiny rates. Unconfirmed.

I can see this becoming a myth.

Boogiepop

Weirdly enough, there does seem to be SOME overworld locations with 3D. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure most caves and the
Elite Four rooms
seem to flick it on, though I haven't been keeping track a whole lot. Wonder if the game was a little rushed and they didn't think it was worth it to get it running 100%?

I would really like an EV training guide. I just learned about it but don't know squat about it.

Can I still EV train at lvl. 100?
Do I have to carefully plan out which pokemon I battle? At what level?
What does nature have to do with the EV training?
How do I know what pokemon are stronger at what skill?

Boogiepop

What are the reasons for not evolving a Pokemon?

Usually you just evolve them, but there's stuff like different move lists (some moves may be learned earlier if you don't evolve, or you may have access to stuff you wouldn't otherwise), eviolite can help tip the balance sometimes (an item that can only be used by Pokemon that can still evolve), Pikachu gets the bonus of light ball, etc. Pretty much just small stuff that's not worth worrying about outside of very specific situations.

Zeroth

I would really like an EV training guide. I just learned about it but don't know squat about it.

Can I still EV train at lvl. 100? Yes, EVs are still added to pokemons, even when they are at the maximum level.
Do I have to carefully plan out which pokemon I battle? At what level? EV points don't take in consideration the pokemon's level, so you can train with low leveled ones. You can try hunting specific pokemon, or do the super trainings, though since I don't have the game I can't comment on them.
What does nature have to do with the EV training? A pokemon's nature permanently shifts its base stats. For example, a Jolly pokemon has a 10% bonus to its Speed base stat (without taking in consideration EVs), but a 10% reduction on its Special Attack base stat (again, this doesn't take in account EVs). They are a way to min-max a pokemon, using natures that increase their already good stat and reducing ones that they don't need. A full nature chart can be found here.
How do I know what pokemon are stronger at what skill? If you mean their base stats, you need to check their stats on websites, though I'm not sure if XY offers a way to see their base stats in-game.

I will be honest, if there is a real game changer in this games is the custom charcters and the PR Video. They are kind of addictive.

emb

Can I still EV train at lvl. 100?
Do I have to carefully plan out which pokemon I battle? At what level?
What does nature have to do with the EV training?
How do I know what pokemon are stronger at what skill?
Yes, you can now (Though before Black and White, you had to level up to get EVs to take effect iirc.)

You can do it that way, or you can use super training. Level doesn't matter. You get EV points from killing other pokemon (each 'mon has a set amount and type they give) or from doing super training minigames (or from taking vitamins). Super training is probably faster. It remains to be seen if there are any good EV spots for random battles.

Natures don't effect EV training. However, like EV training, they effect final stats. They're basically 10% boosts and reductions to stats. You'll want to plan that out too, to benefit the same stats as EVs usually. Breed for it, or soft reset if it's a legendary.

Hard to tell for some things right now, but generally you can check stats after catching. IVs are 0-31 point bonuses that are decided at random. Normally you get those based on the base stats, nature, and level. Problem is we don't have all the base stats pinned down exactly right now, so it's a bit of guess work some times. Maybe try to catch a few, and see which ones have higher/lower stats where. If you mean natures, you can see the boosted stat highlighted blue and the weakened one is red. Characteristics can also indicate IVs too. More on natures and characteristics.

If you mean their base stats, you need to check their stats on websites, though I'm not sure if XY offers a way to see their base stats in-game.
I think the super training chart, that shows what EVs you have? The darker, inner hexagon there gives you an idea of the base stats. I think.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How about
those stones? Should there be some info on them, or would that be too spoilery?

OMG, yesterday I saved and left my game at Lumiose city T_T
I didn't see the OP's update and now I'm worried I will lose my progress when I arrive home

Whoa, I didn't know they revamped the EXP share in this game. That will save me SO much time!

I didn't actually pick X/Y up yet. For whatever reason I was feeling nostalgic for the older Pokemon so I picked up Pokemon Leaf Green and then Heart Gold (never played Heart Gold, heard good things about it).

Assuming I don't burn out on these ones, I will get X/Y as soon as possible.

One thing that dislike is that you need to unlock many of the customizable items. Makes the game more adicting in some sense, but still.

Top Bottom