• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Pokemon XY FAQ Thread! Spoilers in tags, please.

Elider

I dont think so, I wasnt paying the closest attention but I battled my friend and I dont think my pokemon was excited or anything.

Guys, how do I make sure to not lose pokerus?

Assuming this hasn't changed from previous generations, simply store an infected Pokémon in the PC. If an infected Pokémon is in your party at midnight, it becomes cured.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I dont think so, I wasnt paying the closest attention but I battled my friend and I dont think my pokemon was excited or anything.

Guys, how do I make sure to not lose pokerus?

Keep at least one freshly infected Pokemon in a box. Take it out for only brief periods to infect others, but don't let it out past midnight. Unless they changed the mechanic.

*What are the benefits of using Pokemon-Amie?*
EXP Boosts, increased changes of critical hits, Pokemon shrugging off status ailments... it's worth doing! Oh, and your Pokemon looks at you during battle!

WTF? That sounds creepy lol

Edit:

Where can I get old and good rod?

The Old Rood is before the second gym in the first seaside town.
Talk to the guy in front of the Magikarp statue on the first floor of the aquarium.
I don't think I have reached the place where the God Rod is at though (just left the second gym).

Question about Vivillion, guys. I changed my 3DS location yet i got the same Vivillion pattern. It seems that trick doesn't work or maybe I needed to catch my Scatterbugs after changing location, can anyone confirm if the pattern is set once the game has started?

Mako_Drug

What are the benefits of using Pokemon-Amie?
EXP Boosts, increased changes of critical hits, Pokemon shrugging off status ailments... it's worth doing! Oh, and your Pokemon looks at you during battle!

You can pet your pokemon by swiping the lower screen when he has successfully fainted another during battle too :3

Akai XIII

How do I get new Mega stones? I've finished the game, had my mega ring upgraded... Then nothing, no hints or NPCs talking about them. Help.

Is there really an item that will change a Pokemon's ability? One of the NPCs in... one of the cities (I want to say Geosenge?) mentions one, but I haven't found it yet. I'd love something that could change my Litleo's ability from Unnerve to Rivalry, for example

Akai XIII

Is there really an item that will change a Pokemon's ability? One of the NPCs in... one of the cities (I want to say Geosenge?) mentions one, but I haven't found it yet. I'd love something that could change my Litleo's ability from Unnerve to Rivalry, for example

Yeah, you buy it for 200BP from the Battle Maison after you've completed the game. It's in Kiloude City.

Kater

Banned
Does anyone know where I can find the Old Amber? I spent an hour in that damn
Glittering
cave, shattered rocks but got nothing but Revives and stones.

yukonrye

This is the 1st pokemon game I've played since blue. I've just been going through the story not really worrying about details, mainly because I didn't know anything about EVs, IVs and all that other stuff. Is there a point to obsessive min/maxing and have I screwed myself by not concerning myself with from the start? I've been using Greninja, Blaziken, and Venusaur as my main party and they're all around lvl 40.

Akai XIII

This is the 1st pokemon game I've played since blue. I've just been going through the story not really worrying about details, mainly because I didn't know anything about EVs, IVs and all that other stuff. Is there a point to obsessive min/maxing and have I screwed myself by not concerning myself with from the start? I've been using Greninja, Blaziken, and Venusaur as my main party and they're all around lvl 40.

Not if you're just in it for the story. If you want to dabble in it it's best to do it with fresh Pokemon after you've finished the game. You really need the right natures and EV training would be severely messed up by just defeating other trainers.

emb

Don't worry unless you want to get really competitive. It only matters against other people. In game, you beat everything by being much smarter than the AI, and generally you'll be a little overleveled too.

emb

What are 'marks' and what do they all do once activated/deactivated?
Just a way to help you keep track of Pokemon. They literally do nothing outside of marking them. I usually use them to keep track of Pokemon after I check their IVs. (As in, write the IVs down, write down the mark beside it, and mark the Pokemon. That way I can keep them sorted out).

Cerity

Might be worth adding to the OP that there's a moss rock on Route 20, so you can get Leafeon. There's probably a ice rock on Route 17 but I haven't stayed there long enough to have a look.

Berordn

Might be worth adding to the OP that there's a moss rock on Route 20, so you can get Leafeon. There's probably a ice rock on Route 17 but I haven't stayed there long enough to have a look.

It's actually in the Frost Cavern, tucked away in a basement.

Tablo

How much faster does the game feel off of a good SD card (Class 10/UHS1) versus the cartridge?

Anyone tested that? Also that save bug does sound nasty, maybe I'll hold off until they fix it through an update or something...

Is the digital version a newer version of the game too, or is the software the exact same as the version on the cartridge?

Should put where to find the Evo stones in it.
So many people asking how to get the Dusk stone.

Unless you did. Then proceed to ignore this comment.

I've never really bothered with breeding in a Pokemon game before. What determines how long it takes for an egg to show up in the Daycare? Is it time based or step based?

Also, when looking for a good nature, are you supposed to look for a boost in a Pokemon's highest stat to play to their strengths? Or try and boost their lower stats to make a more well rounded Pokemon?

Anyone know if there's a guaranteed way for a route to rain? Need to evolve my Sliggoo and I've been to every place what feels like a dozen times and absolutely no rain whereas I've had it happen before.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone know if there's a guaranteed way for a route to rain? Need to evolve my Sliggoo and I've been to every place what feels like a dozen times and absolutely no rain whereas I've had it happen before.

Just get a pkm with rain dance and it rains everywhere you need it to. Swoosh.

vareon

I've never really bothered with breeding in a Pokemon game before. What determines how long it takes for an egg to show up in the Daycare? Is it time based or step based?

If I recall correctly, it determines whether or not you have an egg each 255 steps. Ask the breeder outside the daycare to know if your Pokemon is compatible or not.

If I recall correctly, it determines whether or not you have an egg each 255 steps. Ask the breeder outside the daycare to know if your Pokemon is compatible or not.
Well I put a Ditto in with an Eevee. Ditto are compatible with every Pokemon that is able to breed, right?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well I put a Ditto in with an Eevee. Ditto are compatible with every Pokemon that is able to breed, right?

They still need to "like" each other, which is based on the natures. Just ask the guy in front of the daycare.

vareon

How do I determine which Pokemon is getting an egg? I have my Greninja and Bidoof on Daycare and all I get is Bidoof eggs.

Growlie19

How do I determine which Pokemon is getting an egg? I have my Greninja and Bidoof on Daycare and all I get is Bidoof eggs.

Whichever one is the female will give its unevolved form. In your case, Bidoof is a female, so you get Bidoof eggs. If you had a male Bidoof and a female Greninja, you'd get Froakie eggs.

YoungFa

They still need to "like" each other, which is based on the natures. Just ask the guy in front of the daycare.

That's not true. The guy said to me my pokemon cant stand each other. And they still made sweet love. Ditto puts out for everyone.

kuppy

Great thread, thank you very much, very informitive.

However I still have a question about the Exp. Share: So if I "feed" a Pokemon only through this and without fighting with it (training its attacks), does it then still be as trained as it would be through grinding?
In other words, does doing certain attacks train them or is it all only defined through the level up stats?

Elider

How come some players look likes NPCs in PSS?

You can choose your avatar, I believe under profile on the right page of the PSS.

Natures. What's it all about?

Raises one stat's growth by 10% and lowers another's by 10%. Useful for minmaxing. Also, some are neutral (raise and lower the same stat).

However I still have a question about the Exp. Share: So if I "feed" a Pokemon only through this and without fighting with it (training its attacks), does it then still be as trained as it would be through grinding?
In other words, does doing certain attacks train them or is it all only defined through the level up stats?

They actually become more trained over time, because out of experience a Pokémon also gains effort points which help their stats grow (same kind of points you get from Super Training). They receive the same amount of effort points as the Pokémon in battle, but half the experience, meaning that when they reach equal experience they will have double effort.

It's not based on nature, but species and original trainer. If the Pokémon are of the same species (including same evolved stage) and have different original trainers, they will multiply like rabbits. Different species caught by the same trainer have the lowest chance of reproducing.

Cerity

On the scale of 1 to 10. How creepy can Pokemon Amie sessions with Gardevoir, Lopunny, Lucario and Zoroark can get?

The only one in my party that doesn't have full affection is Haxorus for this reason.

It's EV growth isn't determined through it's attacks, rather the pokemon it fights. The EV's are shared through expshare, so it's not too much of a worry.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think natures in the most simplest form is described as a 10% increase in one stat with a 10% decrease in another stat.

thanks, looking at a chart now.

So if you like to play offensive, Modest, Mild and Quiet would be good natures e.g. ?

Top Bottom