• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Pokemon XY FAQ Thread! Spoilers in tags, please.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think I saved in that city, hope it doesn't break...

Also this being my first Pokemon game since the Gold/Silver days I really enjoy exp share. No more having to switch in a Pidgey just to make sure it doesn't suck if I really need it.

MoogPaul

Not sure why nintendo burried streetpass in the holocaster. I've passed multiple people whos last play was X or Y but got no game tag.

BraXzy

Does the Pokemon-amie thing stay permanently or is it a temporary boost? I don't want to spend 30 minutes getting my Charmeleon to love me only for it to loathe me once more :'(

Marjorine

I have a question.

When I am choosing my power to use with my Pokemon, is there any way to see what the power does during battle? Like is Tail Whip a buff, a debuff or an attack?

Am I missing something? I would love to call up the description mid-battle.

Also, what's the deal with Normal Pokemon? Do I they ever have specialties? Or do I want a normal one or two in my group?

This is only my second real shot at a Pokemon game. Sorry for the noob questions.

I have a question.

When I am choosing my power to use with my Pokemon, is there any way to see what the power does during battle? Like is Tail Whip a buff, a debuff or an attack?

You can go to the pokemon tab and look at their moves from there, I think. I'd have to go home and check to make sure.

Also, what's the deal with Normal Pokemon? Do I they ever have specialties? Or do I want a normal one or two in my group?

This is only my second real shot at a Pokemon game. Sorry for the noob questions.

Normal is entirely resistant to ghost, and is 1x resistant to everything but fighting. So they don't really excel at anything, but they aren't really bad at anything either.

I have a question.

You can check each Pokemon's moves from the "Pokemon" tab in battle. Alternately, assuming you're using the default LR control scheme, if you hold L while selecting a move it will bring up its description.

BraXzy

hold L as you click on the attack and it will show you a description of the attack.

tumblr_inline_mnh0gyeR531qz4rgp.gif

I've played most mainstream Pokemon games and never knew that, when did this become a feature?

Elija2

I Streetpassed some people playing Pokemon, but all I got by checking my Holo Caster is 2 PM (whatever that is). Is that all Streetpassing does in this game?

entremet

Not sure why nintendo burried streetpass in the holocaster. I've passed multiple people whos last play was X or Y but got no game tag.

Pretty horrible.

Sounds like a thing they did due to ''Stranger danger'' as Nintendo has been known to do.

Gaz_RB

I Streetpassed some people playing Pokemon, but all I got by checking my Holo Caster is 2 PM (whatever that is). Is that all Streetpassing does in this game?

That's what I'm wondering too. I wanna see their pokemon and their profile and stuff! I want the ability to add them as friends...

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I still don't get the catch them all thing. So if i have a Pokemon showing as obtained in my Pokedex does that mean I have satisfied the requirements to have caught it? Even if I trade it or evolve it after that?

pizza dog

Banned
I still don't get the catch them all thing. So if i have a Pokemon showing as obtained in my Pokedex does that mean I have satisfied the requirements to have caught it? Even if I trade it or evolve it after that?

Yes that's how it works. As long as you've ever owned it it counts.

Does anyone know if it's possible to evolve to a Magnezone?

Toxi

Banned
What's a shiny pokemon?
A shiny Pokemon is an extremely rare color variation of a Pokemon that has a sparkle effect when it enters battle. The sparkle part is important; a few Pokemon like Hippopatas, Basculin, Shellos, and Vivilion have common color variations based on gender or region, and these do not have the sparkle effect. The most famous example of a shiny is the red Gyarados from Gold and Silver, which is one of the few scripted shiny encounters. I'd recommend keeping a healthy supply of Pokeballs at all times on the off-chance that you see one; they're REALLY rare.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Are starter Pokemon valuable? I got a Froakie in a wonder trade.

Should I not evolve it either and just keep it as a Froakie?

Are starter Pokemon valuable? I got a Froakie in a wonder trade.

Should I not evolve it either and just keep it as a Froakie?

They're hard to find unless you know someone with a ditto to breed them. Once you get that, they're pretty easy. I'd train it up, personally.

At what level does Pancham evolves and where can I find a dusk stone?

Pancham evolves at 35. Dusk Stone... someone else'll answer that one! :p

Once it's caught, it's always caught. If you evolve it or trade it, it remains as a caught Pokemon. So if you want to catch them all you can either focus on merely having them logged as caught, or actively owning every Pokemon in every stage (eg having a Froakie, a Frogadier and a Greninja boxed together).

This thread has answered every question I had already, thank you!

Glad it helped!

Does the Pokemon-amie thing stay permanently or is it a temporary boost? I don't want to spend 30 minutes getting my Charmeleon to love me only for it to loathe me once more :'(

AFAIK it's permanent, but I haven't experimented for any length of time with it.

hold L as you click on the attack and it will show you a description of the attack.
I'm sure somewhere the game mentions this too. But the menu design being inconsistent is one thing I do not like. An item I have to read the description each time yet in battle I can hold L then select a move to see that description, why couldn't the items be the same?

Captain N

What's the least number of Games I need in order to have all of the Pokemon when the Pokemon Bank opens in December?

Is there a complete list for all the Mega-Evolutions? Can the starters mega-evolve?

I haven't seen a list of the Megas yet, but I know for sure none of the new Gen 6 Pokemon can Mega evolve, meaning your Kalos starters will not Mega evolve in these games. Will they get Mega evolutions in future games? Possibly.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Do males get different hairstyles, or is it just the females?

Acrylic7

Where online can we find a complete move list for all of the Pokemon in X and y? Old and new Pokemon?

This would be a big help.

Where online can we find a complete move list for all of the Pokemon in X and y? Old and new Pokemon?

This would be a big help.

I think this is still being discovered and logged. I suspect Serebii will have it all in a few days, but the worldwide launch means that we're having to wait for information to filter in rather than previously, where the Japanese versions were rinsed well before we got the game.

Acrylic7

I think this is still being discovered and logged. I suspect Serebii will have it all in a few days, but the worldwide launch means that we're having to wait for information to filter in rather than previously, where the Japanese versions were rinsed well before we got the game.

yeah, figured as much.
I was hoping that they at least had some info logged from the strategy guides.

kirblar

Amazon.com starts shipping out the strategy guides today. Should be in peoples' hands by the weekend. (I ordered one for me and my sister.)

How do I enter the boutique in Lumiose City?
Participate in events around the city. Trim your Furfrou, fight trainers in alleyways and cafes, etc...

How many female hairstyles are there?
During the main quest, 8 hairstyles. And here's the colours.

Just so you know, these two are incorrect.

Getting into the boutique requires you to be wearing a stylish enough outfit. Buying a bunch of stuff from Anistar and wearing that seems to be the best way to get in, I'm not sure of the specifics for male trainers but for females you seem to just need to trigger the pink flower flourish effect when the game shows you the outfit you chose (default is music notes).

As for the haircuts you can unlock pigtails and ponytail as options for female trainers. Unlocking conditions seem to be fully based on getting a lot of haircuts, although I did so while wearing a "stylish" outfit as well. You'll know when you unlock the haircuts because the lady will have different dialogue when you walk in the door to the salon.

vareon

This thread is so subscribed.

Just so you know, these two are incorrect.

Getting into the boutique requires you to be wearing a stylish enough outfit. Buying a bunch of stuff from Anistar and wearing that seems to be the best way to get in, I'm not sure of the specifics for male trainers but for females you seem to just need to trigger the pink flower flourish effect when the game shows you the outfit you chose (default is music notes).

I changed a few of my clothes and the lady wouldn't let me in. After I
unlocked the full city
and dined in restaurants, trimmed Furfrou, etc finally the lady let me in, using the exact same clothes.

I changed a few of my clothes and the lady wouldn't let me in. After I
unlocked the full city
and dined in restaurants, trimmed Furfrou, etc finally the lady let me in, using the exact same clothes.
There must be a few triggers then, maybe the Furfrou and restaurant stuff contributes to stylishness. Both myself and a friend did absolutely nothing in the city and yet we both got in after wearing a bunch of clothes from Anistar.

Gentlegoo

Banned
Yo whats a good place to grind in post game? I wanna level up my Mawhile i caught in the safari, but victory road and such are only like level 50-55 , so the shared exp is kinda bad .

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Do the Poke-Ami boosts work in Wifi Battles? I'm assuming they don't, but would like some clarification.

Kyzer

Banned
Do the Poke-Ami boosts work in Wifi Battles? I'm assuming they don't, but would like some clarification.

I dont think so, I wasnt paying the closest attention but I battled my friend and I dont think my pokemon was excited or anything.

Guys, how do I make sure to not lose pokerus?

Top Bottom