• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Pokemon XY FAQ Thread! Spoilers in tags, please.

Celegus

Is there some guide or anything out there that explains IVs and EVs? It's all anyone in the OT talks about, and I still have no clue what the terms even mean.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hiya. As I mentioned in another recent Pokemon thread, I'm what you would call a lapsed Pokemon fan. Close to 60 hours into X, 4 badges, 252 Pokemon seen, and just over 200 registered across only 2 of the 3 dexes, I'm considering going for ALL 700+ of them.

I spent a few hours last night just reorganizing the 150 or so I currently have boxed in number order, with blanks, according to Kalos' 3 dexes. And yeah, I suspect I'll have to redo then again once I unlock the national dex. Then I began revisiting all cleared locations to catch dupes of all available evolving pokemon so that I could box up all possible evolutionary stages. Crazy, no?

I own every single U.S. Pokemon game, a trio of different GBAs, a DSL, a DSi, and an O/G 3DS; so I believe I am well equipped for the challenge of ultimately uploading a mostly complete dex to the Pokemon Bank in 2014.

What game should I tackle next? What would make the most sense, considering X/Y's assortment of critters? Platinum? Soul Silver? Black/Black 2? Once I've finished up gen 6, I plan on taking minimal, streamlined runs of some of the earlier games for their stories, experiences, and to fill in dex blanks.

Also, considering my sole 3DS, is it possible to set up GTS trades with myself by hotswapping my X and Y carts? Not sure how that works, since I've only dabbled in Wonder Trades.

Thank you!

joelseph

Is this the place to ask random questions?!

How are people getting 5 or 6 IV ditto? Should I trade my legendary for one of them?

If I add someone from the Gaf FC list do I have to PM because they have to add me back for it to work? I've only ever done Local and prefer instant gratification!

I understand how bands and the destiny knot pass 1 and 5 IV, is building a perfect pokemon just RNG after that?

emb

Is there some guide or anything out there that explains IVs and EVs? It's all anyone in the OT talks about, and I still have no clue what the terms even mean.
http://www.serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml
http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

Basically the IV is just a random stat bonus from 0-31 in each stat (that can be influenced with breeding). EVs are extra points you get from battling other 'mons or super training (and a few other ways). Try to manipulate these to specialize in the stats you want.

Hiya. As I mentioned in another recent Pokemon thread, I'm what you would call a lapsed Pokemon fan. Close to 60 hours into X, 4 badges, 252 Pokemon seen, and just over 200 registered across only 2 of the 3 dexes, I'm considering going for ALL 700+ of them.

I spent a few hours last night just reorganizing the 150 or so I currently have boxed in number order, with blanks, according to Kalos' 3 dexes. And yeah, I suspect I'll have to redo then again once I unlock the national dex. Then I began revisiting all cleared locations to catch dupes of all available evolving pokemon so that I could box up all possible evolutionary stages. Crazy, no?

I own every single U.S. Pokemon game, a trio of different GBAs, a DSL, a DSi, and an O/G 3DS; so I believe I am well equipped for the challenge of ultimately uploading a mostly complete dex to the Pokemon Bank in 2014.

What game should I tackle next? What would make the most sense, considering X/Y's assortment of critters? Platinum? Soul Silver? Black/Black 2? Once I've finished up gen 6, I plan on taking minimal, streamlined runs of some of the earlier games for their stories, experiences, and to fill in dex blanks.

Also, considering my sole 3DS, is it possible to set up GTS trades with myself by hotswapping my X and Y carts? Not sure how that works, since I've only dabbled in Wonder Trades.

Thank you!
I'd say Soul Silver. There are tons of legendaries to catch. :)

Haven't tried it, but I see no reason that GTS wouldn't work between your two games.

How are people getting 5 or 6 IV ditto? Should I trade my legendary for one of them?

If I add someone from the Gaf FC list do I have to PM because they have to add me back for it to work? I've only ever done Local and prefer instant gratification!

I understand how bands and the destiny knot pass 1 and 5 IV, is building a perfect pokemon just RNG after that?
For Ditto you just have to catch in the friend safari and hope for the best. If you can find one to trade for, it'd probably be a good idea. Not as necessary as it used to be though; I usually just grab a few male and female from the safari, and try to breed the ivs together.

Yep, you'd have to PM them for them to add you.

Btw, power items don't work with destiny knot. But yes, once you have good parents and destiny knot, it's mostly just rng; getting better parents improves the odds though.

Wichu

FYI, if someone says their Ditto is 5 or 6 IVs on the GTS, they're lying.

joelseph

FYI, if someone says their Ditto is 5 or 6 IVs on the GTS, they're lying.

Is 3 IV the max number they can have? They can't be bred AFAIK that is why I was wondering how people get the 5 or 6 IV versions. Would make sense if they are all a lie.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'd say Soul Silver. There are tons of legendaries to catch. :)

Haven't tried it, but I see no reason that GTS wouldn't work between your two games.

Yep. I'm more curious about the B/W series, but figured that the gen 2 remakes were a better bet.

GTS trading with myself had been working out great.
Just need to be careful with asshole snipers that ignore requests to not take the trade.
Basically, don't deposit a starter asking for a low level bidoof; switch to the other game and deposit the low level bidoof asking for a starter.

At 7 badges in, I've seen 392 pokemon and have resident in my PC around 350 of them!

Top Bottom