• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac 3DS REJECTED [Up: Now looking into Sony Platforms]

GhaleonQ

It's bad enough Nintendo won't attempt games like this, they won't let others make them either. Bodes poorly for future efforts.

Given the option, I'd buy every religion-related game released, so this actually enrages me. The Binding Of Isaac isn't even sophisticated, just a bit clever. Who knows what more adult-oriented entertainment would be lost with such an attitude?

Eusis

It means it's not an outright ban? Sony America's stubborness over 2D games on Sony platforms is well documented.
Well documented... and all about retail releases, mainly from prior generations. Digital distribution is a different frontier, and I imagine their mentality is that they're too low end to justify retail space without a convincing argument, especially when sold at $50 and perhaps $60. Given the angle is most likely that of value/perception, everything's different when it's $15 or under and not taking space away from other games at Walmart or GameStop.
Given the option, I'd buy every religion-related game released, so this actually enrages me. The Binding Of Isaac isn't even sophisticated, just a bit clever. Who knows what more adult-oriented entertainment would be lost with such an attitude?
Somewhat ironically, I imagine a more mature take would fly easier, at least depending on how it's handled. Wouldn't surprise me if they also felt that, for how juvenille this really is, it isn't worth risking angering certain people and groups, whereas something that is either more down to Earth or at least less gruesome will survive. See some of the games that fly that either have a Christianity allegory in or outright invoke it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
shame. I was thinking how good it would be for 3ds and was also thinking nintendo would say fuuuuuck NO.

Stupid.

IrishNinja

What is this, 1992?

seriously; this trope is pretty tired now. if either of the other 2 ever release it, an argument can then be made.

in other news, this was in my steam collection from one of the bundles, and reading more on it has bumped it up in queue!

IrishNinja

also, there's a bit've a litmus here, no? i remember thinking that scene was edgy, but somewhat tasteful about it...what i'm reading here of BOI sounds quite a bit more gratuitous/offensive.

Honestly, if Nintendo shot them down I think they've had it.

Nintendo is usually more lenient on censorship than SCEA is despite their perceived core audiences, and SCEA in turn is more lenient than MS. So if it's something Nintendo looked down on for content reasons, it's probably gonna stay PC/Steam only.

Raonak

Banned
Honestly, if Nintendo shot them down I think they've had it.

Nintendo is usually more lenient on censorship than SCEA is despite their perceived core audiences, and SCEA in turn is more lenient than MS. So if it's something Nintendo looked down on for content reasons, it's probably gonna stay PC/Steam only.

Huh? What've sony or MS really rejected due to content? Only cases I can think where cencorship comes into effect are
due to specific regions (australia and germany)
ie: twisted metal- doesn't sell well in europe so SCEE only wanted to do 1 version of the disk. which meant all europe gets cut version due to germany's strict laws.

Don't games mainly get rejected due to quality?

Huh? What've sony or MS really rejected due to content? Only cases I can think where cencorship comes into effect are
due to specific regions (australia and germany)
ie: twisted metal- doesn't sell well in europe so SCEE only wanted to do 1 version of the disk. which meant all europe gets cut version due to germany's strict laws.

Don't games mainly get rejected due to quality?

Sony forced BMXXX to be censored.
They pulled LBP from shelves days before release because of "Islamic chants".

Raonak

Banned

well, BMXXX was a decade ago. Plenty of videogames have nudity these days.
That said; having live-action footage of bare brested strippers seems a quite extreme for a video game, so maybe it still would get cencored these days.

and in the LBP situation they cencored it as the publisher, rather than as the console maker.
If LBP wasn't published by them (ie: third party) i dout they would care. :/

That said; having live-action footage of bare brested strippers seems a quite extreme for a video game, so maybe it still would get cencored these days.

and in the LBP situation they cencored it as the publisher, rather than as the console maker.
If LBP wasn't published by them (ie: third party) i dout they would care. :/

Well, it's just fair to point out that Nintendo didn't censor BMXXX.
And people always bring up Nintendo censoring themselves when they argue precedent for this type of stuff.

test_account

XP-39C²
It means it's not an outright ban? Sony America's stubborness over 2D games on Sony platforms is well documented.
Recently 'Simpsons the Arcade Game' got released on PSN, it doesnt get much more 2D than that. Shank 2 is also a recent 2D game. And all the Minis that someone mentioned above. The Binding of Isaac would be a downloadable title, so that shouldnt be any problem.

That said, i'm not sure that this game will be approved by either Microsoft or Sony. But that is because of the content, not because the game is in 2D.

Danielsan

They also published Heavy Rain and God of War 1,2 & 3 all of which feature plenty of nudity.

Recently Simpsons the Arcade game got released on PSN, it doesnt get more 2D than that. Shank 2 is also a recent 2D game. And all the Minis that someone mentioned above. The Binding of Isaac would be a downloadable title, so that shouldnt be any problem.

That said, i'm not sure that this game will be approved by either Microsoft or Sony. But that is because of the content, not because the game is in 2D.
That 2D comment is nonsense. Also see PixelJunk Eden, PJ Monsters, PJ Racer, PJ Shooter, PJ Shooter 2, Tales From Space, Limbo, Braid and many many more 2D games.

test_account

XP-39C²
There are topless strippers in Duke Nukem Forever.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Sony's own games has its protagonists rip off a god's head (God of War), and a psychopath murdering his own family and hunting down his daughter (twisted metal).

I'd say they are good for release on PSN.

Sony's own games has its protagonists rip off a god's head (God of War), and a psychopath murdering his own family and hunting down his daughter (twisted metal).

Yeah, exactly the same as BoI.
Yup.
Exactly.
Uh huh.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This isn't about just nudity though. It's about disturbing themes and images (regardless of the cartoony artsyle) coupled with a blatant disregard for a specific groups beliefs for satirical purposes. If it wasn't DD it would get an AO rating and would not be accepted on any console. I'm not sure why we're still arguing this at all.

If Kratos looked like this;
Kratos__Chibi_Clone_48_by_Blind_Itachi.gif

It'd be a lot different.

volpone

Banned
I'm pretty sure it was also Microsoft who forced Activision to remove 'Angel of Death', Slayer's song about Joseph Mengele, from Guitar Hero Metallica.

Raonak

Banned
Well, it's just fair to point out that Nintendo didn't censor BMXXX.
And people always bring up Nintendo censoring themselves when they argue precedent for this type of stuff.

Good point.
They're all a mixed bag, but it seems nintendo care more about
"questionable religious content" than the other two.

Actually reminds me of the whole outrage over Resistance:FOM for having a stage set in the cathedral.

aaaand im out. sleep time.

Raonak

Banned

umm... isn't that a spoiler?
I remember the prerelease itnerviews and stuff saying he's hunting down "the one who got away" but they never revealed it was his daughter :/

//ok now sleep time!

Everytime this thread gets bumped, a new wave of people who have no idea what's going on post comments like:

"Nintendo with their "SAVE THE CHILDREN" POLICIES AGAIN! Let me play the games I want to play!"

Despite knowing nothing about BoI or it's content.

Massa

Also, I'd like to point out that a much tamer game, Privates, was rejected by MS.

Anyone thinks that this is a Nintendo only thing is dense.

And anyone that thinks this is a Nintendo vs Sony vs Microsoft thing is an idiot.

The issue here is that Nintendo made a stupidly bad decision. Instead of criticizing them for it some people seem more concerned with defending them with the "the others are bad too!" argument, which is great and all if you're a 12 year old.

And anyone that thinks this is a Nintendo vs Sony vs Microsoft thing is an idiot.

The issue here is that Nintendo made a stupidly bad decision.
Instead of criticizing them for it some people seem more concerned with defending them with the "the others are bad too!" argument, which is great and all if you're a 12 year old.

What stupidly bad decision did they make?

The issue here is that Nintendo made a stupidly bad decision. Instead of criticizing them for it some people seem more concerned with defending them with the "the others are bad too!" argument, which is great and all if you're a 12 year old.

I'll be frank; deciding against a port of an indie game, that may not sell much and would almost certainly net the 3DS bad media publicity is not a "stupidly bad decision". It's a very smart one, business wise.

Berordn

Following the industry standard practice of requiring ESRB ratings to pass cert and not giving it to AO games is a stupidly bad decision?

Everytime this thread gets bumped, a new wave of people who have no idea what's going on post comments like:

"Nintendo with their "SAVE THE CHILDREN" POLICIES AGAIN! Let me play the games I want to play!"

Despite knowing nothing about BoI or it's content.

Especially annoying when the game has been out on steam for ages and can be played on pretty much any pc. If people really want it that bad why do they know nothing about it and why haven't they played it yet?

Must admit I would love the game on a handheld though.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
People actually think Sony is going to pick this up, doubtful, It has little to do with it being religious, and more to do with it likely getting an adult only rating.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
People actually think Sony is going to pick this up, doubtful, It has little to do with it being religious, and more to do with it likely getting an adult only rating.

Pretty much. If it gets an AO, it's pretty much the kiss of death -- unless it gets modified to fit the M (or gets it right away, which I particularly doubt)... now that would make things different.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah, 15-20 years ago. That doesn't exist now and hasn't for quite a long time.

Holy crap I never thought I'd see that lame argument again.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think Nintendo made the right decision. Binding of Isaac just does not fit in with their family friendly image.
I dont think this has that much to do with it, otherwise we wouldnt have seen games like Madworld, which is argueably the most violent game in this console generation.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
I dont think this has that much to do with it, otherwise we wouldnt have seen games like Madworld, which is argueably the most violent game in this console generation.

It dosen't, Nintendo has no problem with mature games. It is AO games that all three companies avoid.
I'm curious to see how sony responds.

You don't have to be Ms Cleo to see they are likely to pass on it.

IrishNinja

I think Nintendo made the right decision. Binding of Isaac just does not fit in with their family friendly image.

yeah, that's why they shit-canned eternal darkness, killer 7 and madworld, and...huh.

...oh, so you didn't even read the details of this game, then? i think i understand now.

That and Team Meat and Sony haven't exactly had the most harmonious of business dealings in the past, right?

this also keeps coming up, charlequinn & others have kinda debunked it though.

looking at this page...wow, i don't know what's an older meme, "kiddie nintendo is the worst at censorship" or "asshole sony hates the 2D", but they're both like decades old at this point. like, you might as well follow them by saying microsoft is gonna win next gen for their strong stable of PC exclusives, and they're gonna debut the nextbox with a performance by ace of base.

Top Bottom