• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Looks like I'm next man up for this Sundays episode. Should be fun. Are we recording sunday Morris?

Also things are falling into place with Dragons Dogma. I think I played that shit for like 6 hours straight yesterday. I bought Dark Souls but I don't think my body can handle the fuck of playing both games at the same time.

Switched from Strider to Ranger and I'm fucking shit up with that class.

Onemic

martin-loofah-king.jpg

Smh if that happened in my country with say nelson mandela or someone else from that era there wouldve been a riot I shit you not

It's fucked up enough they got his face on it, but why the fuck is that loofah shaped like a damn oven mitt?

"I have a clean" smfh

Looks like I'm next man up for this Sundays episode. Should be fun. Are we recording sunday Morris?

Also things are falling into place with Dragons Dogma. I think I played that shit for like 6 hours straight yesterday. I bought Dark Souls but I don't think my body can handle the fuck of playing both games at the same time.

Switched from Strider to Ranger and I'm fucking shit up with that class.

this weekend is rise and fall of the black sitcom.

The weekend after is Interracial dating.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm working on the OP right now.

I need links from the better parts of this thread and across OT and Gaming. Maybe even some good articles that you liked in the past year.

Either post or PM me.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'm working on the OP right now.

I need links from the better parts of this thread and across OT and Gaming. Maybe even some good articles that you liked in the past year.

Either post or PM me.
Operation Caliphate via EmCe
After being beaten to the ground by Towering Black Football Player Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman reluctantly pulls the trigger in self-defense. Martin falls back and lets loose a mighty African laugh. "So it begins!" he cries (translated from thug language).

The transponder on his wrist contacts the White House, where Operation Caliphate sits waiting.

"Your majesty," cries an aide (likely homosexual), "Agent Martin, codenamed Fire of Allah, has completed his mission!"

Imam Hussein Obama clasps his hands and smirks, a "jazz cigarette" in his mouth. "And now the honkies will pay."

Why do people in their rap cars have to make so much noise?**

**Need a good quote from this thread if someone wants to dig one up

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Article by Peggy McIntosh: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack of White Privledge
As a white person, I realized I had been taught about racism as something which puts others at a disadvantage, but had been taught not to see one of its corollary aspects, white privilege, which puts me at an advantage.
(From: Being White is a Privilege PSA thread)

Chicago: The False Confession Capital (Courtesy of Dreams-Visions)

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50136707n
Why would anyone confess to a crime they did not commit? It happens so often in Chicago, defense attorneys call the city the false confession capital of the United States. Chicago has twice as many documented false confession cases as any city in the country. One reason may be the way police go about questioning suspects. And 60 Minutes has learned the Chicago Police Department is now the subject of a Justice Department investigation into its interrogation practices.

Need some more positive additions.

Slayven

The spanking thread made me remember shit. Anyone ever been told "Don't pickup shit cause I ain't buying shit" by a parent before going in a store?

A.E Suggs

"star ocean 4, i can't even play that shit w/ somebody in the room."

that's EXACTLY how i feel playing JRPGs.

idk yall's voices but whoever said that cracked me up.

yall were going IN on japan lmao. they were lacking big time in this gen.

i won't tolerate Kingdom Hearts hate though. yeah the story is stupid but the games are fun as fuck.

who was drinking on the podcast?

LOL, I don't know I've never been one to not play any game because someone was in a room. Someone once asked me was I embarrassed playing persona 3, I said no, which was followed up by them saying well you should be.

I don't know maybe its just me but I would never intentionally be embarrassed or scared to play anything I want to play for fun, if I'm not going to play something its usually because I just don't agree with whats going on in the game.

Nice podcast, it had me laughing at a few parts.

harSon

Banned
The spanking thread made me remember shit. Anyone ever been told "Don't pickup shit cause I ain't buying shit" by a parent before going in a store?

Spanking would be a good topic for a podcast, or one of several topics. From what I've seen, being pro or anti spanking definitely has a racial component to it. Personally, I don't know any black people who didn't get that ass whooped as a kid, and on the flip side, I don't know any white people who were spanked as children.

Onemic

Spanking would be a good topic for a podcast, or one of several topics. From what I've seen, being pro or anti spanking definitely has a racial component to it. Personally, I don't know any black people who didn't get that ass whooped as a kid, and on the flip side, I don't know any white people who were spanked as children.

Id be totally down for that as a topic. Spanking threads always get heated on Gaf.

A.E Suggs

They were all the good kids with sheltered boring lives around where I grew up. They wouldn't let most of their kids go in burned up houses or hang out in mob kid groups. Yep they were out on a soccer team or something.

How Naruto manages to have over 400 episodes and still give me thrilling, interesting story beats that tie around to events revealed in the first season are beyond me.

Well there's a difference between a swat on the ass and assaulting a child. My asian friends got straight up beat which I find deplorable.

harSon

Banned
Well there's a difference between a swat on the ass and assaulting a child. My asian friends got straight up beat which I find deplorable.

Black parents probably do something that's in between a useless tap on the ass and assault. It's not assault, but they aren't love taps either. It's not going to leave a long term mark, but that belt/hand/switch is going to leave your ass raw for a minute. You won't grow up to resent them or hate them, but you'll damn well respect their authority and fear fucking up.

The worst is when I was in the car with them on the way to a beach and they were talking about how they'd hit their kids like they got hit because they knew they were being bad. I was like "you know you can actually reason with kids before you resort to that shit? It's lazy." Of course it never actually penetrates and they were convinced hitting is the answer.

Black parents probably do something that's in between a useless tap on the ass and assault. It's not assault, but they aren't love taps either. It's not going to leave a long term mark, but that belt/hand/switch is going to leave your ass raw for a minute. You won't grow up to resent them or hate them, but you'll damn well respect their authority and fear fucking up.

Growing up fearing fucking up means you'll also inevitably do it. I don't know if I was just a good child or my parents explained shit well but I only remember one spanking and I was never struck again.

Slayven

Only times I felt assaulted was when at 8 I went to the playground for 2 hours and didn't tell her and another time I was getting a whopping I grabbed the belt and refused to let go.

harSon

Banned
I don't think an ass whoopin' in itself is good parenting, but it's definitely a worthy tool alongside other forms of punishment. The difference in respect my minority friends have for their parents, and my white friends have for their parents, is night and day. My white friends treat their parents like complete shit for the most part, and in front of me to boot, while the majority of my minority friends treat their parents with complete respect as far as interacting with them is concerned. Even the complete thugs in my family treat their Moms and Paps with respect. The biggest difference in upbringing between us, from what I can tell, is on what side of the ass whoopin' fence their parents situate themselves within.

I don't think an whoopin' in itself is good parenting, but it's definitely a worthy tool alongside other forms of punishment. The difference in respect my minority friends have for their parents, and my white friends have for their parents, is night and day. My white friends treat their parents like complete shit for the most part, and in front of me to boot, while the majority of my minority friends treat their parents with complete respect as far as interacting with them is concerned. Even the complete thugs in my family treat their Moms and Paps with respect. The biggest difference in upbringing between us, from what I can tell, is on what side of the ass whoopin' fence their parents situate themselves within.

They might respect them to their face but at the end of the day it doesn't mean they love them, just fear them. I have a shit ton of respect and love for my parents. My asian friends who got beat, don't.

harSon

Banned
They might respect them to their face but at the end of the day it doesn't mean they love them, just fear them. I have a shit ton of respect and love for my parents. My asian friends who got beat, don't.

Well, there's obviously a difference between a beating and a whooping, and I'm obviously in favor of the latter and not the former. People who are anti physical punishment tend to equate the two, so when I'm talking about parents that don't beat their kids, I'm talking about parents who don't give their kids harmless ass whoopings.

And I've definitely heard some nasty tales about Asian parents punishing their children, but judging from my circle of friends, I can't think of one who hates their parents. More than half of my friends are Asian (and my grandmother is Japanese) considering I went to middle school and high school in East San Jose, and most of these people are 2nd generation Viet, Filipino, Laotian, Cambodian, etc. to boot, and I've still never heard any resentment from them regarding their parents. On the flip side actually, their families are disgustingly close knit, to the point where I almost find myself jealous.

I did. Grandma was into switches. I had to go get it off a tree in their back yard. If she wasn't impressed by the branch, she'd send you out to go get another. Dat torture.

Yup. Gramps would make me pick my own, and if I didn't pick one that was up to snuff, he'd go pick one himself. I was better off picking a decent one in the first place, cause Gramps would come back with a switch from hell.

Slayven

I had white friends that treated their parents like shit. I remember one dude screamed at his mom for walking infront of the TV. Shit shellshocked me.

I had white friends that treated their parents like shit. I remember one dude screamed at his mom for walking infront of the TV. Shit shellshocked me.

real talk right here.

cussing at parents and shit...I just can't.

Yup. Gramps would make me pick my own, and if I didn't pick one that was up to snuff, he'd go pick one himself. I was better off picking a decent one in the first place, cause Gramps would come back with a switch from hell.
lulz. Gramps was into belts. It was always the fear of the pain that hurt more than the actual spanking, now that I look back on it. I don't know if spankings improved my behavior at all, tbh.

FreeMufasa

Yeah I got some bad beatings. Broken/fractured bones and blood a few time but not many. Usually a hooping with a wooden stick, tennis racket or some shit like that. We did crazy ass shit but man, if it weren't for the fear of a whooping I'd have been so fucking crazy. Doing whatever I want.

I remember speaking to some whit kids and them saying all their parents did was talk to them. Was thinking wtf?? I'd do anything I want if that's all they did. Love my parents to death and I'm glad they fucked me up, can't say I'd do it to my kids though.

My mixed friend got beat until 16 lol. His white mum would come in when he took a bath and start hitting him :lol. He said he couldn't do anything other than cover his dick.

harSon

Banned
real talk right here.

cussing at parents and shit...I just can't.

lulz. Gramps was into belts. It was always the fear of the pain that hurt more than the actual spanking, now that I look back on it. I don't know if spankings improved my behavior at all, tbh.

I swear my grand mother could make shit turn corners. I'd try and run away from a whooping, and hit that top speed, and just when I turned the corner and think I'm free, I'd catch something to the back. Grams was on some next level Wanted shit.

And yeah, I don't even think I could utter a curse word to my parents. Shit would get caught in the back of my throat.

Top Bottom