• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

It's kind of a shame how black artist have mainly moved away from instruments. With the rise of electronic production the need to play your music has diminished, mainly because it's cheaper and more accessible. But looking back at groups like Earth Wind & Fire or Sly & the Family Stone it's kind of sad that we have kind of put ourselves in a box.

There are exceptions but I feel we could be doing so much more.

While I agree, I do think it's increasingly less a black thing and more just a time thing now. In terms of big bucks popular music, knowing instruments becoming less and less important. Especially compared to 15 or even 20 years ago. Instruments will always be important, but they're becoming more of a live reproduction thing now outside of a few genres.

Gorillaz

I agree with you on how electronic has kind of fucked up alot of instrumentals. I would say that there are still artist that use electronic beats and mixes it up with soul ones.

SBTRKT for one is one of my favorites, he doesn't put out much but a few of his tracks are good.

While I agree, I do think it's increasingly less a black thing and more just a time thing now. In terms of big bucks popular music, knowing instruments becoming less and less important. Especially compared to 15 or even 20 years ago. Instruments will always be important, but they're becoming more of a live reproduction thing now outside of a few genres.

But its much more prevalent with black artist. And the genre thing is what I as referring to when quoting harSons post. We are not as eclectic as we used to be.

RedSwirl

I've been thinking about the instruments thing a lot recently. How often do people really rap to instruments?

As for rock, my brother was into Def Lepoard back in the day, but that's it. And Hotel California is one of my mom's favorite songs.

Alright BCT, I'm back on my gaming tip and just got RE5 gold for the cheap. Lost my old save so I gotta do everything again lol. Anybody down let me know.

I've been thinking about the instruments thing a lot recently. How often do people really rap to instruments?

As for rock, my brother was into Def Lepoard back in the day, but that's it. And Hotel California is one of my mom's favorite songs.
Pretty often nowadays, maybe not on most studio albums but live bands at a Rap show are common now.

Silky

Banned
Alright BCT, I'm back on my gaming tip and just got RE5 gold for the cheap. Lost my old save so I gotta do everything again lol. Anybody down let me know.

PS3? 360?

--

macklemore is the first mainstream white rapper with something to say

tumblr_n1qgvmcZeP1ts10q9o1_500.jpg

Silky

Banned

Shoot me a FR. UncannySilk is my PSN. I've been meaning to finish up RE5 again lol. We can try for it tomorrow.

PS3. Free online, PS+ games, no pay wall for multimedia apps. Only get 360 if you're trying to play with some friends on Live.

I've learned it's good to have everything as an option. PC/PS3/360 will last me for a long ass time. Now all that XBL needs to do is beef up their GWG stuff. Civilization: Revolution is a good sign

Daingurse

I've learned it's good to have everything as an option. PC/PS3/360 will last me for a long ass time. Now all that XBL needs to do is beef up their GWG stuff. Civilization: Revolution is a good sign

I respect that. Ever since I got a decent PC gaming though, my 360 has felt a little redundant. definitely a lot of value there for some people's tastes though. And there are quite a few multiplats not on PC, that are superior on 360.

ReiGun

Did they stop marrying black men?

I laugh at this because I know a dude who shared this story just so he could rant about how Black women aren't in control of dating dynamics because since they're so educated, black men on their level are rare and thus "He is the commodity the coveted product thus being in short supply he can command any terms and set any requirements he sees fix for the dynamics of the dating game."

DominoKid

I laugh at this because I know a dude who shared this story just so he could rant about how Black women aren't in control of dating dynamics because since they're so educated, black men on their level are rare and thus "He is the commodity the coveted product thus being in short supply he can command any terms and set any requirements he sees fix for the dynamics of the dating game."

so does he do numbers?

Slayven

So he is saying that too many ain't shit dudes out there?

RedSwirl

I would at least like to see some attempt at research at how the school-to-prison pipeline may be affecting the ratio of college-educated black men vs women. My dad is always on me about how much of a rarity I am for the job market: A young black college-educated man who doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom