• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

Malyse

Good.

------

Also, how about we take it easy on the who's country gets nuked jokes. It's real easy to take shit like that personally, and nobody is as funny as they think they are to pull that off.

To be clear, I'm not really making a joke. I think that Trump would gladly bomb a number of countries with little provocation. Lest we forget how dumb this motherfucker is.

I think it's well within the realm of possibility that Jamaica gets nuked. I think it's well within the realm of possibility that CALIFORNIA gets nuked. There is literally no way to stop him from using nukes.

This is scary uncharted territory. On the plus side, CRISPR probably won't get a chance to decimate the population on this timeline.

D i Z

To be clear, I'm not really making a joke. I think that Trump would gladly bomb a number of countries with little provocation. Lest we forget how dumb this motherfucker is.

I think it's well within the realm of possibility that Jamaica gets nuked. I think it's well within the realm of possibility that CALIFORNIA gets nuked. There is literally no way to stop him from using nukes.

This is scary uncharted territory. On the plus side, CRISPR probably won't get a chance to decimate the population on this timeline.

This is precisely the escalation in conversation I was hoping we could avoid.

Kaep stuff is fine if that's the thing that does it for you, but it's far from the only reason black folk should be looking to boycott the NFL.

- Kaep reaction among teams and ownership groups
- Exploitation of public finances
- Decades of non-profit status
- Mistreatment of the general workforce (concussions, injury treatment, etc)
- Miseducation, concealment, and suppression of research and reports related to brain injuries
- Rampant, team-sanctioned drug abuse
- Exceedingly questionable policies and responses to domestic abuse situations and cases

I dare you all to check out how much funding your local public school system loses out on to help cities pay for the stadiums used for little more than 8-12 games a year and the occasional concert. That's money being redirected away from black and brown children, directly contributing to the increasing competitive gap of white children. Money going generally towards the entertainment of higher income white people.

Kaep is a reasonable place to start being concerned, but it most certainly shouldn't be your last stop if you're considering hitting the pause button on the NFL.

ALL THIS KNOWLEDGE! Thank you.

Jeff Lord got fired

I am not petty, but I am going to laugh anyway

They'll just give his spot to Bill O'Reilly.

D i Z

For the sake of conversation I'll ask this.
Is Kaep playing again something that people really want? People are fickle and hated him when he was on the 49'ers because they hated the 49'ers (Understandably).
Could he not be doing something more important, or is there an expectation that he's going to continue to quietly protest during anthems and find some professional security, or expand on his message and go bigger?
I'm not sure what anyone is expecting from him after he turned around on the largest stage he ever had and said don't vote.
Is him getting back to being an easy to dismiss headline on the field what we're talking about, or are we looking for him to be more? If more, how much could he do in that system, and why not out of it?
I've not seen anything about this situation that leads me to believe that Kaep is going to keep his politics public, but will stay charitable.

LionPride

Banned
I want the man to play again, because the fucker is better than 99% of the backups in the league, and better than a couple of starters

But he can't go to Miami, or Texas, or SF, or Baltimore, or NE, or Buffalo, anywhere else is openly fair game

The man wants to play football, get paid, use his money to help people

I'd like to see him do that

Is Kaep playing again something that people really want? People are fickle and hated him when he was on the 49'ers because they hated the 49'ers (Understandably).
Could he not be doing something more important, or is there an expectation that he's going to continue to quietly protest during anthems and find some professional security, or expand on his message and go bigger?
I'm not sure what anyone is expecting from him after he turned around on the largest stage he ever had and said don't vote.

I don't give a shit if he plays or not, he's just a byproduct of the issue. A symptom.

Josh Rosen will encounter the same shit, the NFL sees anybody that strays outside the lines and grinds them down and blacklists them.

A player shouldn't be drummed out of a sport he has the physical ability and mental acumen to be able to continue to play simply because he didn't toe the line.

The NFL is by far the most conservative sporting league in the western world, and the NFLPA being utterly useless has enabled the owners to effectively control every player and what they are allowed to do.

Dereck

Kaep stuff is fine if that's the thing that does it for you, but it's far from the only reason black folk should be looking to boycott the NFL.

- Kaep reaction among teams and ownership groups
- Exploitation of public finances
- Decades of non-profit status
- Mistreatment of the general workforce (concussions, injury treatment, etc)
- Miseducation, concealment, and suppression of research and reports related to brain injuries
- Rampant, team-sanctioned drug abuse
- Exceedingly questionable policies and responses to domestic abuse situations and cases

I dare you all to check out how much funding your local public school system loses out on to help cities pay for the stadiums used for little more than 8-12 games a year and the occasional concert. That's money being redirected away from black and brown children, directly contributing to the increasing competitive gap of white children. Money going generally towards the entertainment of higher income white people.

Kaep is a reasonable place to start being concerned, but it most certainly shouldn't be your last stop if you're considering hitting the pause button on the NFL.
Oh....

D i Z

I want the man to play again, because the fucker is better than 99% of the backups in the league, and better than a couple of starters

But he can't go to Miami, or Texas, or SF, or Baltimore, or NE, or Buffalo, anywhere else is openly fair game

The man wants to play football, get paid, use his money to help people

I'd like to see him do that

But would he find more success and be more effective elsewhere?

I don't give a shit if he plays or not, he's just a byproduct of the issue. A symptom.

Josh Rosen will encounter the same shit, the NFL sees anybody that strays outside the lines and grinds them down and blacklists them.

A player shouldn't be drummed out of a sport he has the physical ability and mental acumen to be able to continue to play simply because he didn't toe the line.

The NFL is by far the most conservative sporting league in the western world, and the NFLPA being utterly useless has enabled the owners to effectively control every player and what they are allowed to do.

The league isn't going to change. Even if ownership dies tomorrow, their kin will take over and it'll all last even longer. If there was a movement within the league to change things, we could assist by starving them out. But there is none that I know of.

cdyhybrid

I want Kaep to play because the state of quarterbacking in the NFL outside of 10-12 teams is beyond a dumpster fire. That his presence will keep police brutality in the conversation is a bonus. I believe he already said he's not kneeling anymore, but his presence alone will keep the subject at the forefront.

I do think you can recognize and appreciate his work to bring awareness to police violence while also recognizing that not voting is dumb.

Slayven

They'd be better off without one, they're pathetic. Buckle to every single demand the owners make, might as well not even exist.

Buckle? Or Puppets that are there to give the illusion of adovcating for the players but really just there to soften players up for whatever bullshit is coming?

The league isn't going to change. Even if ownership dies tomorrow, their kin will take over and it'll all last even longer. If there was a movement within the league to change things, we could assist by starving them out. But there is none that I know of.

I know, just saying my issues go beyond one dude who ended up being a hypocrite. What needs to happen is the players in 2021 need to eat potentially an entire year and just, well.

Strike to get what they are deserved. But they won't, because thanks to how the current system is constructed, most of the league lives paycheck to paycheck and none of them can miss even a single game check.

I want Kaep to play because the state of quarterbacking in the NFL outside of 10-12 teams is beyond a dumpster fire. That his presence will keep police brutality in the conversation is a bonus. I believe he already said he's not kneeling anymore, but his presence alone will keep the subject at the forefront.

I do think you can recognize and appreciate his work to bring awareness to police violence while also recognizing that not voting is dumb.

Also this, dude is arguably a top-20 QB in the NFL, there's no god damn reason Blaine frigging Gabbert should have a job over him.

D i Z

And this is why he won't get back in. I like the dude and would love to see him throw again, but what are we really talking about here? It's not really about him. This is about the politics that just got voted out of office and rejected by the public in general. They put the BLM terrorist hit on him a while ago. He's fucking toast. In Trumps America Kaep isn't getting that stage. But he could do much more elsewhere.

cdyhybrid

And this is why he won't get back in. I like the dude and would love to see him throw again, but what are we really talking about here? It's not really about him. This is about the politics that just got voted out of office and rejected by the public in general. In Trumps America Kaep isn't getting that stage. But he could do much more elsewhere.
No doubt. The league (AKA the owners) and enormous swaths of the fanbase are garbage.

Is him getting back to being an easy to dismiss headline on the field what we're talking about, or are we looking for him to be more? If more, how much could he do in that system, and why not out of it?
I've not seen anything about this situation that leads me to believe that Kaep is going to keep his politics public, but will stay charitable.

Im not a big Football fan but I really want him to Play because thats what he wants. However, my stance is Fuck the NFL. Out of the major Sports, the NFL is the league with the most danger and the only one that enforces widespread unguaranteed contracts.

That's bullshit. I don't condone that nonsense. Then you add in the CTE controversy/conspiracy and the hypocracy that the NFL will embrace Sex offenders, abusive spouses and every other sin.

But a dude making an honest observation is what they deem too bold? Fuck that noise.

Sidenote: Hey Guys how are ya?

LionPride

Banned
I keep forgetting the NFL has a union, you would think they would be doing something about CTE
NFL players union is possibly the weakest in sports with MLB and NBA having the strongest of the American sports

Soccer Leagues tend to have lit unions too

The Josh Rosen thing is another example of why football ain't shit, he's sayin what many have said so many times. He's getting raked over the coals for basically saying "We physically cannot focus on school and football if we want to be successful at football professionally"

Nigel Hayes got yelled at for saying "NCAA is fucking dumb, and we don't have time to be well rounded humans"

Shit's just backwards as fuck

No doubt. The league (AKA the owners) and enormous swaths of the fanbase are garbage.

Listen to how people talk about Jameis Winston. Or Cam. Or any black QB that, gasp. Talks. Basically calling them niggers.

"Go back out there and bash your brains out for my entertainment you damn blacks"

cdyhybrid

Listen to how people talk about Jameis Winston. Or Cam. Or any black QB that, gasp. Talks. Basically calling them niggers.

"Go back out there and bash your brains out for my entertainment you damn blacks"
Russell only avoids it because he's a walking football cliche generator.

TheSun

But seriously, Paranoia Agent is a good anime.

Satoshi Kon is a good director. The music from Susumu Hirasawa is awesome.

Its a dang ol' shame he died. His posthumous film will never be completed. Dreaming Machine looked cool.

LionPride

Banned
Russell only avoids it because he's a walking football cliche generator.

And even THEN, when the nigga was hurt, do you know how many people I heard sayin he should just get out and play on a goddamn sprained knee because it's a man's game?

I keep forgetting how fucking much toxic masculinity is around football

Like more than damn near any other sport

TheSun

And even THEN, when the nigga was hurt, do you know how many people I heard sayin he should just get out and play on a goddamn sprained knee because it's a man's game?

Reminds me of that one Simpson's episode.

But yeah, pretty messed up.

"Oh he just got some broken ribs, I went back to work a few days after I broke mine" your job ain't involve 260 pound people running 40 yards in 4 1/2 seconds who hit you with the same force as a CAR CRASH.

But nah, do please tell me how you won your peewee league championship with a bum ankle.

Question for you guys.

I potentially have the chance at a promotion but it would extend my daily commute to work from 40 mins to 60-70mins depending on traffic. I get a 10k bump annually with a Company car and a company Gas card.

I can drop my Car insurance and sell my personal vehicle (2013 Avenger) for about 5k.

How many of you would say Yes to that kind of situation?

I just found the best Doomfist fan skin ever:

tumblr_ot1f4fgMaN1rl5ihzo1_1280.png

Shame it'll never happen...

Mediking

Question for you guys.

I potentially have the chance at a promotion but it would extend my daily commute to work from 40 mins to 60-70mins depending on traffic. I get a 10k bump annually with a Company car and a company Gas card.

I can drop my Car insurance and sell my personal vehicle (2013 Avenger) for about 5k.

Do it.

I know change is scary but more money IS more money. And a change of pace could be great.

Or....

It could be a nightmare.

what do you guys think of sales? would you say that you have to have a certain type of personality in order to do a sales job, & that it's not for everyone?

D i Z

Question for you guys.

Sup Samuel. I'd do it.

cdyhybrid

what do you guys think of sales? would you say that you have to have a certain type of personality in order to do a sales job, & that it's not for everyone?
I would.

Employers want their sellers to milk every penny out of their customers possible. You gotta be cool with knowingly ripping people off to do that.

LionPride

Banned
Boy if the NFL ratting are down whew.....

LITERALLY EVERYONE WAS LIKE "HEY WE STOPPED WATCHING BECAUSE SO MANY FUCKING COMMERCIALS" WHY DID THIS TURN INTO "WELL THE REASON LIKE 3% OF PEOPLE DIDN'T WATCH WAS BECAUSE KAPERNICK AND WE WILL USE THIS AS OUR HEADLINE SAYING HE WAS THE LEADING CAUSE OF RATINGS TO SHIFT DOWN

LITERALLY EVERYONE WAS LIKE "HEY WE STOPPED WATCHING BECAUSE SO MANY FUCKING COMMERCIALS" WHY DID THIS TURN INTO "WELL THE REASON LIKE 3% OF PEOPLE DIDN'T WATCH WAS BECAUSE KAPERNICK AND WE WILL USE THIS AS OUR HEADLINE SAYING HE WAS THE LEADING CAUSE OF RATINGS TO SHIFT DOWN

Because then they'd need to sacrifice right now money in Ad's for long term money in not hemorrhaging ratings.

Slayven

I don't even watch the shit, but everyone i know that talks about it says it;s the commericals. The watered down play, and they will just check Redzone

I don't even watch the shit, but everyone i know that talks about it says it;s the commericals. The watered down play, and they will just check Redzone

This is what's killing the sport.

Folks only give a shit about highlights, nobody watches the actual drives anymore.

But seriously, Paranoia Agent is a good anime.

Satoshi Kon is a good director. The music from Susumu Hirasawa is awesome.

Its a dang ol' shame he died. His posthumous film will never be completed. Dreaming Machine looked cool.

The fourth episode of Paranoia Agent, that was a tough episode to watch.

Top Bottom