• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

Shy

The obligatory Rosario Dawson cameo. Save me from this, Rosario
LOL. I was the same.
I never put him up that high because his stuff was never that great, enjoyable. But lets be real......chinese cussing in space? Really?
From what i understand. They could even bother to make the sure Mandarin was pronounced correctly.

There's also a small bunch of other things wrong with Firefly on that score.
Dude is going fucking wild in the thread. Then I found out about this gem via girlgaf and I was like, BRUH.
Ohh dear.

Dai101

Banned
BW in the Cap films are almost a different character from the Avenger films

I've reached to the conclusion that botyh Avengers movies are just fanfiction. Bad fanfiction at that.

Sistas are really doing it for themselves on AoS. They would have never grown like that if Whedon had something to do with it

Preach.

I don't even follow Whedon like that, much less have him on a pedestal, so no issues there lol, just pondering to myself.

I just had the worst thought. Most of the female cast would be your run of the mill female cliches from anime.

RXz6d.gif
RXz6d.gif

Malyse

From what i understand. They could even bother to make the sure Mandarin was pronounced correctly.

There's also a small bunch of other things wrong with Firefly on that score.

I'm still ranking him higher than Mark Millar. All y'all Kingsman stans really don't got room to talk. JS.

Though the question rises if a fake feminist is worst that a MRA. You have to take in consideration that even with the problematic nature of Whedon behind the scenes,
he *did* inspire a lot of young women who are now creative amazing stories. On the other hand, Millar probably inspired some women too out of "fuck you" spite, so who knows what the actual tally is? Not to dismiss the accusations, but just a thought.
I just made a GIF of Danny from IF getting beat up.

Defenders spoiler
LMAO he lost to literally every other member of the team!

D i Z

Stepping out on ya wife don't make you a bad feminist, guys.

Gas lighting your wife for 15 years and all of the women involved about your behavior might though.

I'm still ranking him higher than Mark Millar. All y'all Kingsman stans really don't got room to talk. JS.

Though the question rises if a fake feminist is worst that a MRA. You have to take in consideration that even with the problematic nature of Whedon behind the scenes,
he *did* inspire a lot of young women who are now creative amazing stories. On the other hand, Millar probably inspired some women too out of "fuck you" spite, so who knows what the actual tally is? Not to dismiss the accusations, but just a thought.

Defenders spoiler

That is an absolutely shit position to take, and an appalling argument to make.

LotusHD

Banned

Err, I think debating over who is worse is besides the point. If you're revealed to be a hypocrite, you should be called out. If you're a PoS MRA that's making some blatantly misogynistic work or whatever, you should be called out.

[Defenders spoiler

"Dumbest Iron Fist ever"

Mediking

Anybody ever seen that movie Lottery Ticket starring Bow Wow from Ice Cube? Man, that movie was great. We need more of those. :/

Malyse

Gas lighting your wife for 15 years and all of the women involved about your behavior might though.
1. I was being facetious about a particular poster
That is an absolutely shit position to take, and an appalling argument to make.
Err, I think debating over who is worse is besides the point. If you're revealed to be a hypocrite, you should be called out. If you're a PoS MRA that's making some blatantly misogynistic work or whatever, you should be called out.

2. I wasn't actually making that argument nor taking that position. That level of seriousness and introspection is off brand for me. I advocate for Luci.

D i Z

1. I was being facetious about a particular poster

2. I wasn't actually making that argument nor taking that position. That level of seriousness and introspection is off brand for me. I advocate for Luci.

So you were playing devils advocate in a discussion that didn't need one?

zeemumu

Red Skull baby out the window Mark Millar?

Malyse

So you were playing devils advocate in a discussion that didn't need one?

No, I was expressing a stray thought. It's not an argument; I have no research for the thesis nor do I intend to expound upon it further. It's not something I believe, nor is if something that I think warrants further discussion. I make random posts, like, all the time.
Red Skull baby out the window Mark Millar?

I personally think of him as "females are only there to prove heterosexuality" or "rape is a great plot device" Mark Millar, but to each his own.

D i Z

But I need to for Defenders. Gotta finish what I started

You're already in, so there's no talking you out of it. But you might want to take a break between the two shows now that you're committed. The struggle to get thru IF is going to burn you if you move into Defenders too quickly.

zeemumu

No, I was expressing a stray thought. It's not an argument; I have no research for the thesis nor do I intend to expound upon it further. It's not something I believe, nor is if something that I think warrants further discussion. I make random posts, like, all the time.

I personally think of him as "females are only there to prove heterosexuality" or "rape is a great plot device" Mark Millar, but to each his own.

Well that panel does go on to imply that Red Skull had that woman raped after forcing her to murder her husband with scissors and tossing the baby out.

Off topic but I don't think you hang around the funko pop thread but we're expecting wave 2 of KH Pops and the KH Mystery minis were announced about a month ago.

D i Z

We're going with the "I just said it, but I didn't mean it" position now? Come on.

D i Z

Malyse

Well that panel does go on to imply that Red Skull had that woman raped after forcing her to murder her husband with scissors and tossing the baby out.

Off topic but I don't think you hang around the funko pop thread but we're expecting wave 2 of KH Pops and the KH Mystery minis were announced about a month ago.

Fuck Funko Pops. They are uggo as hell.

I only buy Funko Rock Candy.

Bought Arkham Knight on sale a few days ago and I'm having quite a bit of fun. Using the batmobile for combat and chases is pretty annoying, though. I wish it was just a cool mode of transport and not a key component.

zeemumu

Bought Arkham Knight on sale a few days ago and I'm having quite a bit of fun. Using the batmobile for combat and chases is pretty annoying, though. I wish it was just a cool mode of transport and not a key component.

That's gonna bug you as it becomes increasingly more necessary over time. Especially for the Riddler stuff and tank missions. Outside of that and the quality of the boss fights, the game is good.

Also the Knight's identity is painfully obvious

Village

Mark Millar is objectively worse.

Tell me about the Whedon story where the sexual assult of a woman is just flavoring. Not addressing the actual implications of said horrid events. But as a human plot devicies with no agancy

Until then, no. Millar is worse. Millar and The SAO guy would get along fucking swimmingly

for those of you in here that are Thrones fans: does anyone care about the incest that might take place between Jon & Dany? I get a lot of heat in the OTs for being so supportive of it

LotusHD

Banned
for those of you in here that are Thrones fans: does anyone care about the incest that might take place between Jon & Dany? I get a lot of heat in the OTs for being so supportive of it

I feel like over the years, GoT has conditioned me enough to the point where I wouldn't make a big fuss if it actually happened, and sure, I see the obvious chemistry they have. But not making a fuss is not the same as being super supportive of it, because well... it's still incest.

EDIT:

Also if people are specifically calling you out, then yea, you probably are overdoing it lol

zeemumu

We've been watching a brother and sister fuck for 7 seasons, so in terms of shock value it won't really be that big a deal.

That said, nah you probably shouldn't be supportive of it. They probably wouldn't go through with it if they knew, or at least Jon wouldn't. Dany's got full knowledge of the Targaryen family tree having a ton of incest so she might not mind as much. Either way it's still creepy. She's his aunt.

I feel like over the years, GoT has conditioned me enough to the point where I wouldn't make a big fuss if it actually happened, and sure, I see the obvious chemistry they have. But not making a fuss is not the same as being super supportive of it, because well... it's still incest.

EDIT:

Also if people are specifically calling you out, then yea, you probably are overdoing it lol
I think what it is is that the show's desensitized the audience to the incest. We've literally seen it since the first episode.

Also yeah I am probably the most vocal advocate for in the thread. Heshinsi is too but I think I've talked about it a lot more.
I don't support it but it's not like they know.
Jon will be weirded out but I think for Dany it'll be the opposite.
We've been watching a brother and sister fuck for 7 seasons, so in terms of shock value it won't really be that big a deal.

That said, nah you probably shouldn't be supportive of it. They probably wouldn't go through with it if they knew, or at least Jon wouldn't. Dany's got full knowledge of the Targaryen family tree having a ton of incest so she might not mind as much. Either way it's still creepy. She's his aunt.
aunt/nephew, uncle/niece, cousin/cousin these types of incest aren't taboo in Westerosi culture. Ned Stark's parents were cousins. As long as it's not direct, brother/sister like Jaime/Cersei or father/daughter like Craster.

If Jon & Dany were brother and sister then it's still a hell no for me

Sch1sm

What's there to support about it?

If they're unaware at the time, whatever. Can't fault them. If they do it knowingly? Weird. But the whole show is weird; a brother and sister had 3 kids together, so. I dunno why I'm holding any modern moral standard to characters on there.

LotusHD

Banned
I think what it is is that the show's desensitized the audience to the incest. We've literally seen it since the first episode.

Also yeah I am probably the most vocal advocate for in the thread. Heshinsi is too but I think I've talked about it a lot more.

Well like I said, if you're overdoing it, can't blame others for calling you out I guess.

Jon will be weirded out but I think for Dany it'll be the opposite.
aunt/nephew, uncle/niece, cousin/cousin these types of incest aren't taboo in Westerosi culture. Ned Stark's parents were cousins. As long as it's not direct, brother/sister like Jaime/Cersei or father/daughter like Craster.

If Jon & Dany were brother and sister then it's still a hell no for me

I get that it ain't taboo in their universe, but I'd still consider it weird to me to be avidly wanting them to fuck. Also I admittedly am not well-versed regarding incest, but it seems ultimately arbitrary to say that one is fine with cousins fucking, but not brother and sister.

What's there to support about it?

If they're unaware at the time, whatever. Can't fault them. If they do it knowingly? Weird. But the whole show is weird; a brother and sister had 3 kids together, so. I dunno why I'm holding any modern moral standard to characters on there.

If anything, my judgement would be for the showrunners I guess, where I'll at least have one moment where I'm thinking to myself "Why did they feel the need to show more incest between these two main characters?" After all, it's not like the dynamic between Cersei and Jaime, where their love for each other is a big part of who they are. Right now they're in uncharted territory, so it's not like they're being forced to make the two of them a thing.

Sch1sm

You have to remember that the West doesn't really approve of that, Artisan. Whether or not it's acceptable in Westeros/Essos/whatever other part of the Thrones universe is irrelevant to the watcher. We look at it, and our initial reaction is, "UH, what the hell," or something to that effect. Know your audience.

Mark Millar is objectively worse.

Tell me about the Whedon story where the sexual assult of a woman is just flavoring. Not addressing the actual implications of said horrid events. But as a human plot devicies with no agancy

Until then, no. Millar is worse. Millar and The SAO guy would get along fucking swimmingly

Sword Art Online has a bad habit of humiliating any female characters who can compete with the All Mighty Kirito.

Cipherr

That show is all kinds of fucked up. I try my damndest not to think of the shit that goes on in 'Westeros' in real life terms at all.

At all.

D i Z

You have to remember that the West doesn't really approve of that, Artisan. Whether or not it's acceptable in Westeros/Essos/whatever other part of the Thrones universe is irrelevant to the watcher. We look at it, and our initial reaction is, "UH, what the hell," or something to that effect. Know your audience.

It's not even acceptable in Westros. It's seen as f'ed up, and the people with values aren't with it. But when royals do it, who can say anything?

Shy

On the Danny and John question.

Yeah. I'm not down with him fucking his Aunty.
Is it just me, or does this sort of thing seem to be a running theme with many well known "feminist" men? I swear I've seen so many stories like this recently.
It's not just you.
Luke has the most sex scenes of any character in this show
That's because he has Rap and R&B playing wherever he goes. ;P

Top Bottom