• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Hah. Friend told me that when he first saw me, he thought I was an "original gangster."

Now he calls me the whitest black guy he knows...

oh hell no. those people dont get it. it's not about whether you look, sound or dress like a hollywood caricature of a black person.

Being followed by security or management in a shop or grocery store, having cops treat you like you're up to no good when you're doing nothing more than walking down a street minding your own fucking business, seeing women look scornfully at you in elevator or shoot you a dirty look for checking them out, seeing women clutch their bags or purses super tight when you walk past them on the subway platform or at the bus stop, having cashiers and receptionists act chilly toward you when you've been entirely polite, being called a nigger repeatedly, (and at least once by someone yelling it out their vehicle) being stared down in a bar or restaurant like you dont belong there, having people look at you like you might be about to mug them or start some trouble as you walk past them, having people look at you like they're caught off guard by your skin colour, having women turn you down cause of your skin colour, being stared at like an outsider when you're the only black guy at some house party , that's part of being black too. you can talk like a student, dress nicely, get good grades, be an upstanding citizen, you're still gunna get that preemptive judgement before you've so much as opened your mouth.

DominoKid

oh hell no. those people dont get it. it's not about whether you look, sound or dress like a hollywood caricature of a black person.

Being followed by security or management in a shop or grocery store, having cops treat you like you're up to no good when you're doing nothing more than walking down a street minding your own fucking business, seeing women look scornfully at you in elevator or shoot you a dirty look for checking them out, seeing women clutch their bags or purses super tight when you walk past them on the subway platform or at the bus stop, having cashiers and receptionists act chilly toward you when you've been entirely polite, being called a nigger repeatedly, (and at least once by someone yelling it out their vehicle) being stared down in a bar or restaurant like you dont belong there, having people look at you like you might be about to mug them or start some trouble as you walk past them, having people look at you like they're caught off guard by your skin colour, having women turn you down cause of your skin colour, being stared at like an outsider when you're the only black guy at some house party , that's part of being black too. you can talk like a student, dress nicely, get good grades, be an upstanding citizen, you're still gunna get that preemptive judgement before you've so much as opened your mouth.

idk i feel like you see what you look for.
not to say that there arent people that feel like that.
but i dont recommend walking around thinking "oh they think this, that, the third, about me just cause im black"
you can tell the people that do ^^^ because it poisons their thought processes. they expect the worst out of all the white people they meet.
let the snake reveal itself to you before you try to kill it (c) ancient chinese proverb (not really lol)

Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuu (c) 2 Chainz

fify

Onemic

Shit, lucky I live in canada because I rarely if ever get that shit. If I do it's usually from old asian people giving me a "this guy lives here?" Look or when I'm the tolken black guy at an all white party and it's honestly just funny to me more than anything else.

Shit, lucky I live in canada because I rarely if ever get that shit. If I do it's usually from old asian people giving me a "this guy lives here?" Look or when I'm the tolken black guy at an all white party and it's honestly just funny to me more than anything else.

My brother got those negative reactions in Spain. Sucks.

Don't take it too seriously dude, I think she meant more the posts about your college friends and how fucked up they sound.

Ah. Well I can't really choose at this stage. Hopefully I can have a positive influence on them, but they're not really interested in discussion of things they believe to be gospel. But I'll leave off cluttering this topic with that.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Ah. Well I can't really choose at this stage. Hopefully I can have a positive influence on them, but they're not really interested in discussion of things they believe to be gospel. But I'll leave off cluttering this topic with that.
You can switch out friends faster than underwear.

Don't think you've got to stay attached to people. I've wasted years of my life dragging people along. One day I just decided to stop answering my phone for them and *bam* stress free and less negativity in my zone.

Slayven

You can switch out friends faster than underwear.

Don't think you've got to stay attached to people. I've wasted years of my life dragging people along. One day I just decided to stop answering my phone for them and *bam* stress free and less negativity in my zone.

You need to do an evaluation once a year of your crew.

Slayven

Fuck it all. We can have a semi serious thread about people fucking their parents, gender diversity, people wanting to fry their brain cells, and shit. But want to have a back and forth about race and everybody gets "herpderp". Fuck it. It isn't even about race, it is about black people.

DY_nasty

that ain't even a good topic

it'd be like devo starting a thread "why don't women have true equality yet?"

"stfu devo. you can vote, what more do you want?"
"derp"
"herp"
"women drivers"
"lol"

that ain't even a good topic

it'd be like devo starting a thread "why don't women have true equality yet?"

"stfu devo. you can vote, what more do you want?"
"derp"
"herp"
"women drivers"
"lol"

All jest aside, it's sad how damn accurate DY's post is.

Brother Slayven did you really make that thread? Oh man.... *picks best seat in the house*

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I should be studying instead of being on gaf right now, but i had to check the thread out, and i must say, it looks to be a doozy. All of the bailout posts made me think it was gonna die, but you know gaf.

DY_nasty

well I will say that thread has been great in bringing the closet racists out of hiding.

not so much that but just cementing the "Slavery>>>Slavery Ended>>>Civil Rights>>>Rap Music>>>Obama!" history of racism start to finish belief

Onemic

I think it is now official that rap music is the sole reason why black people are feared and hated now. If we just got rid of that we would be in the clear!

I'll guess I'll be the minority to all these minority threads. I'm getting tired of of going to off-topic and seeing "Why are black people inferior?" threads.

"God, we suck. We have it so bad you guys. Just...so bad."
"Well actually..."
"NOPE you're wrong we suck don't be racist"

This shit is getting really fucking old, gang.

Onemic

I just laughed and was counting the minutes until his name would be greyed. It's so weird that we had next to no race threads in February and once March rolled in they have been everywhere.

DY_nasty

Damn Cap... my sword is yours*

*unless we're talking about the knicks. fuk da knicks

and the new OT should be coming up soon... I guess I'll do it when it rolls around.

Slayven

I was pissed about the thread but the Pokemon dude made me feel better about it. And I know I had to keep on, to educate people and get them talking. One day we will hold hands and Dy will realized he likes shit chicken.

Thanks for the props, everyone. If I was a little historically inaccurate...whatever, I'm not a historian. :jnc

Seriously though, I just hope everyone is able to keep discussing that topic in a civil fashion. That thread is controversial as fuck...and I dig it.

zero_suit

Thanks for the props, everyone. If I was a little historically inaccurate...whatever, I'm not a historian. :jnc

Seriously though, I just hope everyone is able to keep discussing that topic in a civil fashion. That thread is controversial as fuck...and I dig it.

Yeah, surprisingly, it's no where near as bad as affirmative action threads or threads about black women.

Top Bottom