• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Mecha_Infantry said:
Hey Negro GAF...I'm trying to make a Baby Making CD since my last one is lost, so far I have:

Joe- All The Things
Tyrese- On Top of Me, What am I Gonna Do, Sweet Lady
Jon B- They Don't Know
LSG- My Body
Aaliyah- At Your Best, Hot Like Fire
R Kelly- Bump 'n' Grind Old School Mix
Nivea- 21 Reasons
Ray J- One Wish
Keith Sweat- Nobody, Make it Last Forever

I know there are a lot I'm missing but can you point me out? I need it mid 90's, shit we'd both remember (we're 25 and 27)

Holla at me dawgs

Man, where's the fuckin' Jodeci? Get Feenin' or Freak N' You on there.

SmokyDave said:
Y'know, before you get excited about proclaiming my ignorance, you ought to take a moment out to realise that black culture does not automatically mean black American culture.

Pretty sure everyone understands that. This thread is pretty US centered, and while I won't defend its content (which pretty much boils down to "hey guys my moms wants me to go to church and doesn't like my white lady friend, shit is ridiculous" posts mixed with some music/entertainment topics) but I will defend black culture.

SmokyDave said:
Then you may wish to re-read my thoughts on the topic noting my emphasis on geography and economic circumstance being more important than race.

I don't want or need you to agree with me but I'd appreciate it if you'd at least try to understand where I'm coming from.

You mention there being no "white culture" and that goes to the heart of this issue. There is "white" culture: it's just split amongst geographical cultures as you've said - from Italian Americans to Spanish Americans; I'm focusing more on a US perspective btw. With the majority of black people in this country there is no home country at the center of culture. Hence the culture is rooted in the US, and hits on everything from religion to family to food. Denying that there is a black culture is beyond ridiculous, and bringing up "white culture" misses the point.

As pointed out earlier, there's a lot of stuff that isn't exclusive to black people, and is more geographical. White people down south have very similar cooking/eating habits to black people down south. Yet in black culture, something like "soul food" is prevalent whether you're down south or in New York.

Every race has some type of culture, and it's typically rooted in their homeland. The fact that you and others even feel the need to enter threads like this and dismiss it tells me you're either ignorant or simply don't respect this culture which isn't rooted in Europe. A black person in London has very different experiences from me or another black person in the US. This thread is clearly US based, and isn't suggesting there is some black culture that applies to every black person in the world. Black culture in Nigeria would be very different for instance.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Mecha_Infantry said:
Hey Negro GAF...I'm trying to make a Baby Making CD since my last one is lost, so far I have:

Joe- All The Things
Jon B- They Don't Know
LSG- My Body
Nivea- 21 Reasons
Ray J- One Wish

I know there are a lot I'm missing but can you point me out? I need it mid 90's, shit we'd both remember (we're 25 and 27)

Holla at me dawgs

SWV Weak

Toni Braxton Breathe Again

And for a little more... speed you can drop My Boo in there as well.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mecha_Infantry said:

Joe- All The Things
Jon B- They Don't Know
LSG- My Body
Nivea- 21 Reasons
Ray J- One Wish

Holla at me dawgs
Bump 'n' Grind is not sexy anymore. In fact, for me most of your list is cheesy as hell in 2011.

You need stuff like:

Floetry - Say Yes.
Music Soulchild - Love
Bilal - Queen Of Sanity
Jamie Foxx - If Only For One Night
Alicia Keys- pick a few

Get some of that real, modern shit.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
im confused, is this a get her in the mood mix, or is this a getting down to business mix?

Nameless

Mecha_Infantry said:

Joe- All The Things
Jon B- They Don't Know
LSG- My Body
Nivea- 21 Reasons
Ray J- One Wish

Holla at me dawgs

Rome- I Belong
Lauren Hill & D'Angelo- Nothing Matters
India Arie - Ready For Love
Genuwine- Difference
Tyrese- Lately
Blackstreet-Before I let you go.
Janet Jackson - Anytime Anyplace(anyone who can't close to this song should give up)
Keke Wyatt & Avant - Nothing in this World
Maxwell- This Woman's Work

Clinton514

MWS Natural said:
x2_388fd16.jpg

Discuss.
Ummm

Niki has a weird face imo.

Kim back when she still had a real nose was bangin'. Now she just frightens me. She can still tear up the mic, though.

Nameless said:
Rome- I Belong
Lauren Hill & D'Angelo- Nothing Matters
India Arie - Ready For Love
Genuwine- Difference
Tyrese- Lately
Blackstreet-Before I let you go.
Janet Jackson - Anytime Anyplace(anyone who can't close to this song should give up)
Keke Wyatt & Avant - Nothing in this World
Maxwell- This Woman's Work

Finally, one post with him. You can combine D'Angelo and Maxwell on one CD and it's a wrap.

dankir

Mecha_Infantry said:

Joe- All The Things
Jon B- They Don't Know
LSG- My Body
Nivea- 21 Reasons
Ray J- One Wish

Holla at me dawgs

Add Maxwell Sumthin' Sumthin'

Also LOL at baby making CD

Imm0rt4l

My friend Tammy is a model she had a couple of photo shoots to go to in miami ..after going to her photoshoots we met up with mack maine from young money, he then took us to a hotel a couple of other girls were there and so was lil wayne, guda guda, lil chuckee, and birdman. My friend Tammy is light skin and me and my friend jessica are dark skinned chicks, when we entered the room guda guda was like “damn ya’ll pretty to be dark skin” and then wayne quoted a verse from one of his songs that said “Beautiful Black Woman i bet that b*tch look better red”.

I heard the song before and i was offended when i heard the lyrics i brushed my feelings off and forgot about what the gremlin said, but him saying it over again made me angry as hell, tammy was looking in shock and jessica was clearly upset ,so me being the outspoken person that i am i said Wayne your daughter is dark skin so why would u say such ignorance. he then said “my daughter is a dark skin millionaire thats the difference between her and u”. Is this fool serious?

I can tell he was very upset because i brought his daughter up but that is no excuse for what he said next he stated “MY daughter is the first and last dark skin child im having, the rest of my baby moms light skin chicks i even got an asian baby moms to make sure i have a daughter with good hair, too bad we had a son”, everybody start laughing and me and jessica stormed out of the room and some guys followed us saying “not everybody hate dark skin girls Young Money just allergic to Chocolate”, of course me and my girls cursed them out..

this was said to have happened a few days ago to which lil wayne and company replied on twitter saying it was a lie. Not saying that I'd say video girls don't lie, but I wouldn't put it past these guys to same some stuff like this. What are your thoughts dark skinned/brown skinned/high yellow gaf?

Lebron

Wayne doesn't like dark skinned women, he only want dark skinned men. I have no doubt that her story is true.

As for what was said, not the first time I heard stuff like that. I don't have a problem with darker skin, but I will say that most of the black girls I have dated were light skin. Though that has more to do with what I grew up around and became use to, I think.

I date all shades myself and dark skinned women are some of the finest out there but being dark skinned means that all my life the lightest, yellowest and most red-boned women out there were the ones chasing me.

sooperkool said:
I date all shades myself and dark skinned women are some of the finest out there but being dark skinned means that all my life the lightest, yellowest and most red-boned women out there were the ones chasing me.

I'm light-skinned at I seem to mostly attract dark-skinned or white women lol.

I love all women no matter what the color. There are some really beautiful darker skinned women out there. It kinda sucks that a lot of women have to look like Beyonce to get noticed.

george_us

Imm0rt4l said:
this was said to have happened a few days ago to which lil wayne and company replied on twitter saying it was a lie. Not saying that I'd say video girls don't lie, but I wouldn't put it past these guys to same some stuff like this. What are your thoughts dark skinned/brown skinned/high yellow gaf?
I wouldn't be surprised at all at this actually happening. Shit look at how many athletes are dating either light skinned women or women of a different race. Now I don't have any beef with anyone with preferences like that but when you start actively shitting all over a subset of women in the process, then that's fucked up. I think what makes this even sadder is that this kind of thinking, although not as overtly expressed, is pretty common within the black community.

Bleepey

Imm0rt4l said:

Oh man, the number of SWP videos that can be posted on this topic. As a kid i always preferred dark skinned girls, i preferred Tatiana Ali to Hilary any day of the week. The only time i really started to think about it was when i was in Nigeria and man the gusy there had ahrd on for light skinned girls like a motherfucker it was at times ridiculous and some girls had issues and hangups about it. I thought it was a Nigerian thing and then i realised that it seeemed a lot of the guys i knew in London seemed to get happy over lightskinned girls. I thought they were uct ebut at times i was like they were overrated. As for hair, that shit was a fairly recent thing to me. I remember talking to this cute black girl, we were joking talking to each other bantering and shit. She said something about "sorry about your hair but i have good hair" i can't remember how. Her hair was fairly straight but i was like why the fuck do you think i care, I am not a girl.

Oh and another thing i reember at uni, there was this dark skinned girl i lived with. She was a nice girl most of the time and very dark skinned. And she had hangups about it. She made a joke about why i was not hitting on her and siad "is it cos i am dark skinned?" and then quickly said i am joking and laughed it of and me giving her a confused look like WTF. I could tell she was a bit annoyed when i asked for her advice getting with an asian girl and the fact the white guy she liked was going for some blonde chick. There were these little bits here and there that showed her insecurity. But when a guy said he refused to play kiss chase with her as a kid cos she was black i could kinda see it. Me hitting on damn near every asian girl that was cute did not help. :lol :lol :lol> The thing is she had an insane body, she was built like an ostrich or a black Naomi Russel. Skinny as fuck, small tits but her ass was BANGING!. I saw her once wear these oversized t-shirts and just that and man it took every ounce of my being to not stammer, stop drolling and smilling like a Cheshire cat.:lol :lol :D

Imm0rt4l

screenshot002vd.jpg

Waynes response(grammatical mistake and all)

Me personally, I like women of all races and skin tones. I think our youth largely helps dictate who we like though, for example I grew up watching the wonder years, as a result I think I've found I am attracted to tall brunettes. Very much like this I remember one of my first erections ever being to Vanity in Action Jackson, I like to think I was color blind then as I am now but I was young and impressionable, maybe even moreso because I am dark skinned. It really doesn't help that the media sends a message that lighter is beautiful. I had some hang ups about my dark skin having been teased in middle school and high school. I know it was mostly teasing, but the fact that it was always brought up made me self conscious and aware of the fact that many see dark skin and think black and ugly. I know it's a bigger deal for black women so I feel especially bad for them.

*plays Black Stacey

Wayne isn't even "light" skinned wtf, and especially not Baby or Mack Maine. :lol

Groupies lie, everyone knows that. I'll give Wayne the benefit of the doubt here, although such a specific, odd charge could be true; you'd think a salty chick would lie about something sex related instead of skin.

Imm0rt4l said:
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6049/screenshot002vd.jpg[/IMG

Waynes response.[/QUOTE]

I'm not typically a grammi-nazi, but "rumors or as dumb as the people who believe them"? How the fuck does someone confuse are and or?

Imm0rt4l

PhoenixDark said:
Wayne isn't even "light" skinned wtf, and especially not Baby or Mack Maine. :lol

Groupies lie, everyone knows that. I'll give Wayne the benefit of the doubt here, although such a specific, odd charge could be true; you'd think a salty chick would lie about something sex related instead of skin.
no doubt groupies lie, perhaps because I don't like the guy it's hard for me to really give him the benefit of the doubt. Also "Beautiful black woman, I bet that bitch look better red" doesn't really help in disproving what the groupies accused him of sayin. Lots of dark skinned cats would much rather be with a light skinned girl.

heliosRAzi said:
I'm not typically a grammi-nazi, but "rumors or as dumb as the people who believe them"? How the fuck does someone confuse are and or?
Wayne comes across as one of those smart dumb motherfuckers.

george_us said:
I wouldn't be surprised at all at this actually happening. Shit look at how many athletes are dating either light skinned women or women of a different race. Now I don't have any beef with anyone with preferences like that but when you start actively shitting all over a subset of women in the process, then that's fucked up. I think what makes this even sadder is that this kind of thinking, although not as overtly expressed, is pretty common within the black community.

This.

True. The main line that made me think "hmmm" was him saying his daughter is a rich dark black girl, therefore different. That sounds like something Wayne would say, due to his obsession with numbers/records sold/cash.

Like I've said probably 1,000 times in this thread alone, as a heterosexual male I can't even fathom the idea of a shade of beautiful woman being a problem for my dick. If you are a good-looking lady, I will hit that. Dark, light, in between, whatever race/religion/ethnicity or background. Are you hot and looking to let me poke it out? I will happily oblige.

captmcblack said:
Like I've said probably 1,000 times in this thread alone, as a heterosexual male I can't even fathom the idea of a shade of beautiful woman being a problem for my dick. If you are a good-looking lady, I will hit that. Dark, light, in between, whatever race/religion/ethnicity or background. Are you hot and looking to let me poke it out? I will happily oblige.
They're all pink on the inside, right?

With all these the posts about baby makin' cd's & stupid conflicts, This thread will live forever for me. Even in the GAF archives it shall stay stickied at the top. :D

*Legendary stuff right here.*

Imm0rt4l

Theirs enough blame to go around for everyone. I'm sure the dark skinned girls in waynes room wouldn't have been in the hotel room if it wasn't wayne, which is some shallow groupie shit, but they aint deserve to be disrespected like that. No other people who likes to self deprecate like this.

aktham said:
*sneaks out with a white girl while light and dark skin girls argue*

*crosses arms
*tilts head

"Oh so you think you're too good for us"

On light/dark..

What baffles me is the idea that the lighter someone is, the more attractive they are - regardless of their actual beauty. I know plenty of black guys who chase after the ugliest light skinned girls just because, all while bad mouthing dark chicks. No wonder some dark skinned chicks are bitter

Same with white women. That one GAF poster, pxg I think, has made posts about black chicks being meh. Yet his white girlfriend's face looks like the piece of cheese pizza I just ate. No shots, but come on son. Or the black dude+fat white chick thing. I know guys who even admit they're with her just because she's white. As if it's some socio-economic stepping stone that puts them ahead of me.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
PhoenixDark said:
On light/dark..

What baffles me is the idea that the lighter someone is, the more attractive they are - regardless of their actual beauty. I know plenty of black guys who chase after the ugliest light skinned girls just because, all while bad mouthing dark chicks. No wonder some dark skinned chicks are bitter

Same with white women. That one GAF poster, pxg I think, has made posts about black chicks being meh. Yet his white girlfriend's face looks like the piece of cheese pizza I just ate. No shots, but come on son. Or the black dude+fat white chick thing. I know guys who even admit they're with her just because she's white. As if it's some socio-economic stepping stone that puts them ahead of me.

real talk.

Imm0rt4l

PhoenixDark said:
On light/dark..

Yea that shit's funny. Reminds me of this clip from Don't be a Meance.

I didn't know pxg felt that way about black women though haha.

aktham

Imm0rt4l said:
*crosses arms
*tilts head

"Oh so you think you're too good for us"

No sir! :lol I don't think skin color determines beauty. I date pretty girls only (shallow & arrogant...I know, I heard it all). The pretty black girls were not interested in me. They were always stuck up and gold diggers. Light skin girls are basically white girls (features) with a permanent tan and a black booty, at least the ones that I dated.

All-American type white girls are my kryptonite. I will admit that. :lol

Imm0rt4l

aktham said:
No sir! :lol I don't think skin color determines beauty. I date pretty girls only (shallow & arrogant...I know, I heard it all). The pretty black girls were not interested in me. They were always stuck up and gold diggers. Light skin girls are basically white girls (features) with a permanent tan and a black booty, at least the ones that I dated.

All-American type white girls are my kryptonite. I will admit that. :lol

Well if you let your pants hang off your ass and dress like a real thug maybe they'd throw a little play your way!! smh

On a serious note though, I had the same issue. Funny when those same girls wanna get mad when they see you arm in arm with a white chic. I was one of the guys who didn't give a shit when halle berry got knocked up by a white dude, it wasn't like she was dating white guys exclusively. The black dudes had their chance. *shrugs

Lebron

Imm0rt4l said:
On a serious note though, I had the same issue. Funny when those same girls wanna get mad when they see you arm in arm with a white chic.

I was eating in the food court at the mall the other with my girl and they had a group of black girls giving us the death stare like you wouldn't believe. We had to walk pass them when we were leaving and one said, "...really, n***a?" as we passed. We both just laughed, well she got mad at first but let it go when she saw me laughing, and kept on walking. I really don't understand the big deal. I know it's not the case with all, of course. I just don't understand the ones who do have a problem. Get over yourselves.

aktham

Imm0rt4l said:
Well if you let your pants hang off your ass and dress like a real thug maybe they'd throw a little play your way!! smh

On a serious note though, I had the same issue. Funny when those same girls wanna get mad when they see you arm in arm with a white chic. I was one of the guys who didn't give a shit when halle berry got knocked up by a white dude, it wasn't like she was dating white guys exclusively. The black dudes had their chance. *shrugs

Funny you say that. I actually spent my summer job money on that type of clothes to impress this one black girl (light skin, if that matters) and it worked and she became my GF. I stopped wearing the clothes like a week later we started dating :D

Edit: Not saying I dressed or acted like Carlton. I act like Theo from Cosby Show and dressed like Shawn on the Wayans Bros.

Here's my GF resume:

1. All American white girl 15-17 (Best relationship)
2. Yellow bone 18-19 (great girl, that's the one I had to trick, she likes thugs)
3. Random dates/hookups in college 19-23
3. Red bone 23-23.5 lol (immature psycho)
4. Yellow bone 24 (rebound/gold digger)
5. ??? (looking for wife material)

Bleepey

If i was on my PC i'd post about 20 Swp videos about black girls dissiing the Carlton Banks of the world only to be disappointed when the lil Waynes amount to nothing and knocked them up. It wasn't my experience( boys school) but SWP talks about it a lot.

Top Bottom