• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Blacklist - Mondays 10/9c on NBC

Jhoan

It looks like Kirk will never be seen nor heard from again or at least for a while. I wonder if his girlfriend is still alive. And I'm guessing that at some point Red is going to find out that Kate is still alive.

January 5th is going to be a bit of a wait. I wonder when the spin-off show is going to premiere. The returning episode looks interesting. My money is on Aram being the mole but I could be wrong.

Danny 117

What did Reddington whisper into Kirks ear that stopped him from killing him?

The only thing I can think of is that Katarina Rostova is still alive though that is a wild guess and would make that episode last season where Red was hallucinating make no sense.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Entertainment Weekly did an interview with show creator Jon Bokenkamp following the midseason finale. He revealed ... basically nothing, but here are the more interesting parts:

EW said:
Should we trust what Red told Kirk about being Liz’s father or was he just telling Kirk what he wanted to hear?
Well, he did say he was her father and he sounded like he meant it. That said, he was also heavily drugged with god knows what. I’ll let you decide.

Kirk says there’s nothing that could stop him from killing Red, and yet he actually stopped. What can you tease of what’s really going on and when we’ll find out what Red whispered?
The truth is, we’re not going to find out what he said. That whisper was a secret between the two men who loved Katarina. Besides, if you really knew what Red said the show would probably be over.

EW said:
Everyone has suspected that Red was Liz’s father since the beginning. Why did you decide to go this route?
Ultimately this is a ‘chosen one’ story. Elizabeth Keen is clearly incredibly important to Red. Why? That’s what we’re slowly revealing over time, and trust me, the answers are all there. As you pointed out — the father theory is only one of many. For me, it was never so much about is he her father or is he not — but why is this young woman so important to Raymond Reddington?

EW said:
Have we seen the last of Kaplan?
Ugh. I hope we haven’t seen he last of her. I love having Susan Blommaert on the show. That said, I also loved having Alan Alda on the show and we exploded his head with a neck bomb, so…

So we'll never know what Red said to Kirk, we'll never see Kirk again and the showrunner only "hopes" we'll see Mr. Kaplan again. [sigh] This show is getting a bit exhausting. I hope they wrap it up in the back half of this season and find a way to do a good job of it.

I haven't watched the show since the middle of season 2 if I recall, but I just saw on TV a clip for The Blacklist Redemption? They gave the husband a fucking spinoff? Really?

Jhoan

I haven't watched the show since the middle of season 2 if I recall, but I just saw on TV a clip for The Blacklist Redemption? They gave the husband a fucking spinoff? Really?
Yes really and Jean Grey from the X-Men is Tom's mom/boss. There was a backdoor subplot last season that served as the foundation for the spinoff with the introduction of the aforementioned character.

Jhoan

I missed the first half so I don't know what's going on. There's a girl, a cop who's gone missing, and an African dude who got killed by an African dude.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
One of their weaker episodes last night. Can't all be good, I guess.

I'm kinda surprised that Dembe is semi-revolting against Red, though.

Jhoan

I'm glad he is, I want him to do more than grimly stand behind Red.

For sure! It's going to be a more interesting dynamic going forward now that he's questioning Red's motives. The Asian cleaner duo is pretty cool but it's obvious that they aren't going to last very long once Kate comes back into the picture.

Jhoan

Finally the plot is going somewhere! Liz still questions Tom's loyalty but trusts him. I wonder how long that's going to keep up for before it falters for good. I wasn't expecting that twist in the end with the girl being ordered to take out Red's accountant. The blacklister sounds like Agent 47 with being a master of disguise.

It looks like the next episode is setting up for more Redemption stuff since Tom is going to discover his past and ask Red about it. I wonder when Kate will come back into the picture.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
No matter how much I loved someone, I think that holding my exposed hand within inches of theirs as a sign of affection when a single slip could mean excruciating and messy death within seconds would be a big no.

Vic_Viper

So with the Spinoff show actually happening and starting to air on Febuary 28th, where does that leave him and Liz lol? This episode set up his want to go back to his old life, but when will The Blacklist Redemption take place? will it be concurrent with the regular show or do we think Tom is going to leave for awhile?

Jhoan

No matter how much I loved someone, I think that holding my exposed hand within inches of theirs as a sign of affection when a single slip could mean excruciating and messy death within seconds would be a big no.
Does such a disease like that even exist where people die a horrible death within seconds of making contact with an infected person? It was a tragic episode for sure because her boyfriend was making her kill people to try to find a cure only him to pay for it with his life in the end. I found it a bit creepy that even though he was bleeding out, Natalie effectively put him out of his misery by holding hands and kissing him.
So with the Spinoff show actually happening and starting to air on Febuary 28th, where does that leave him and Liz lol? This episode set up his want to go back to his old life, but when will The Blacklist Redemption take place? will it be concurrent with the regular show or do we think Tom is going to leave for awhile?
It sounds like it's going to take place after the three backdoor "Alexander Kirk" pilot episodes then go from there while filling in some gaps when Tom was gone. I think he's still going to make appearances on the main show with crossover episodes. It could be a case where questions that popped up in the main show are answered by this one.

It's being touted as this show's version of Suicide Squad. The question is will it work and how long would Tom keep it going for before Liz finds out? Their child isn't going to take care of itself unless he takes her with him and lets grandma babysit. I don't think Liz knows of Tom's connection to Scottie so that's bound to come up next episode. I suppose there also have to be an inevitable OT for it as well.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Well, we're getting an episode of The Blacklist on Feb. 28 followed immediately by the first episode of Redemption. Tom is supposed to walk off The Blacklist at the end of its episode and directly onto Redemption, as in, a continuation of the same scene from one show to the other. So I'm not sure Redemption is a flashback thing. Blacklist is going on hiatus while Redemption airs (Redemption will take its spot at 10 p.m.) so it'll all probably flow together in real time — there won't be any switching back and forth. Tom probably will return to The Blacklist once The Blacklist starts airing again in April.

Vic_Viper

Well, we're getting an episode of The Blacklist on Feb. 28 followed immediately by the first episode of Redemption. Tom is supposed to walk off The Blacklist at the end of its episode and directly onto Redemption, as in, a continuation of the same scene from one show to the other. So I'm not sure Redemption is a flashback thing. Blacklist is going on hiatus while Redemption airs (Redemption will take its spot at 10 p.m.) so it'll all probably flow together in real time — there won't be any switching back and forth. Tom probably will return to The Blacklist once The Blacklist starts airing again in April.

Thats pretty cool. Dont know how well this spin off show is going to do though. Tom is my least favorite part of the Blacklist. Atleast the show is popular enough to warrant a Spinoff. I was worried the ratings were starting to drop and it would get cancelled. This is by far my favorite show on TV atm.

Jhoan

Ah okay, so one episode directly ties into the series premiere. That's an interesting set up. I wonder if this is a one-time thing or if the ratings are solid enough to warrant a second/third season. Netflix streaming saved the show so I imagine that Redemption is going to blow up the same way. Either way, I hope Tom develops beyond the "person who does bad things but has a heart of gold" trope because his shtick is getting old.

Jhoan

Hitwoman has a team of accomplices. Strangely enough, the bald dude could pass for a Timothy Olyphant version of Agent 47.

Jhoan

Holy crap! Aram leveled up and got his set of kills in! It's been quite the development for him. I also like the dark humor with Popettto and Red remarking that it would be ironic to have one of the greatest living painters killed by his subject.

Oops! I triple posted. Apologies! I can't be the only person still interested in the show.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Cool to see Brent Spiner again. Too bad he got exploded by a rail gun or whatever that was, heh

I feel like there should be more repercussions for an agent who, without being ordered, causes a vehicle to explode in an uncontrolled manner, killing a suspect who, as Aram himself said, could have been interrogated. Couldn't they have chased him, shot out his tires, set up roadblocks? Nah, let's let Aram blow the dude up for lulz.

oh well

Jhoan

Cool to see Brent Spiner again. Too bad he got exploded by a rail gun or whatever that was, heh

I feel like there should be more repercussions for an agent who, without being ordered, causes a vehicle to explode in an uncontrolled manner, killing a suspect who, as Aram himself said, could have been interrogated. Couldn't they have chased him, shot out his tires, set up roadblocks? Nah, let's let Aram blow the dude up for lulz.

oh well
"Titanium rounds" if such a thing even exists that it can level a building. It looks like a gun that came straight out of a GTA game.

I agree that even though Aram was aware that what he did was going against FBI protocols, the show hand waves it away by Aram getting a sympathetic pat on the shoulder and characters stating that at least they didn't let him get away. It's dumb, it's unrealistic but lol fiction am I rite? I thought they were going to chase after him and ram the vehicle but oh wait, there's this powerful gun on the back of this truck that can be used to take it out! I wasn't expecting the vehicle to blow up in spectacular fashion. It went against Aram's character because he's supposed to be the intel guy who doesn't have much if any field experience. I suppose Bokenkamp wanted Aram to earn his badass cred because of reasons.

It sucks that the spring finale is on at the same time as Riverdale so I'll have to pick one show over the other.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
"Titanium rounds" if such a thing even exists that it can level a building. It looks like a gun that came straight out of a GTA game.

I agree that even though Aram was aware that what he did was going against FBI protocols, the show hand waves it away by Aram getting a sympathetic pat on the shoulder and characters stating that at least they didn't let him get away. It's dumb, it's unrealistic but lol fiction am I rite? I thought they were going to chase after him and ram the vehicle but oh wait, there's this powerful gun on the back of this truck that can be used to take it out! I wasn't expecting the vehicle to blow up in spectacular fashion. It went against Aram's character because he's supposed to be the intel guy who doesn't have much if any field experience. I suppose Bokenkamp wanted Aram to earn his badass cred because of reasons.

It sucks that the spring finale is on at the same time as Riverdale so I'll have to pick one show over the other.

The CW app puts up episodes the very next day. Choose Blacklist.

Jhoan

The CW app puts up episodes the very next day. Choose Blacklist.
Good point. I also have the option of using my brother's Netflix account because he left it logged into the living room Smart TV. If there's no takers for The Blacklist: Redemption thread, I would make a quick and dirty one. I can't think of a witty thread subtitle at the moment so I'll look around for ideas. Red Dead Redemption is one that comes to mind.

Vic_Viper

The Blacklist: Redemption starts tonight!

Do we know if this is the official timeslot for the show going forward or is it just a special for tonight? Also when does this season of The Blacklist OG end? Is this the last episode?

Jhoan

The Blacklist: Redemption starts tonight!

Do we know if this is the official timeslot for the show going forward or is it just a special for tonight? Also when does this season of The Blacklist OG end? Is this the last episode?
Hype! I'm not anywhere near a laptop so the thread is wide open for anyone to make the OT.

This is the last episode of OG Blacklist since it's taking a spring break until either April or May. Redemption is taking its place until then. I think it's 10pm until OG Blacklist returns.

Jhoan

Redemption has a vaguely Oceans Eleven vibe, but with more incestuous undertones, LoL
Agreed. I also got some 24 vibes from the panels. That dance scene was so awkward especially with Tom knowing that's his mom. Her flirtatious comment as he was taking the card out of her leg was creepy.

I seriously hope that wasn't Scottie that he was banging in the previews. It would be the full extent of the Oedipus complex coming to fruition. I liked it overall. Mattias is a dick but just the right amount of it and a good foil for Tom; the black chick is more or less a retread of Dembe; the Intel dude is a nerdy version Aram that looks like Newman but is funnier; his father is a crazy conspiracy theorist. Tom brings everything together and Scottie is more or less Red with anger issues who looks like a cat.

Jhoan

Cyptic words from Scotty as the camera rack focused on Tom to show his expression: He died knowing that his mother didn't know who he was (paraphrased). Solid episode overall. Tom was pretty beat by Kevin's death. I need to make that BL: Redemption OT to keep discussion separate from this thread.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Cyptic words from Scotty as the camera rack focused on Tom to show his expression: He died knowing that his mother didn't know who he was (paraphrased). Solid episode overall. Tom was pretty beat by Kevin's death. I need to make that BL: Redemption OT to keep discussion separate from this thread.

[shrug] There aren't many of us watching either of these shows on GAF, it seems. And Redemption is only eight weeks long, with two of those down. Maybe make a thread if it gets renewed for a second season (against all odds).

Yeah, the direction was a bit on the nose when she mentioned that the guy died without his mom knowing his true identity. It's fine; this show isn't much for subtlety, it seems. I did like this episode better than the first one, though. I understood better why I should care about the person the team is trying to save, while I struggled to care much about the victim in the first episode (why does the team care about her? I don't know).

The flow of the episode was better, too, but that's probably because the first episode had to introduce everyone and get them together, and still find time in the episode to send them on an adventure. It was a lot to cram in. The second episode could focus on just one thing, the mission at hand.

One complaint: Two episodes in a row now, the rescued person has expressed desire to leave the team's care after being rescued and Tom has stupidly left that rescued person alone so they can escape, and escape they do. How many times will they use that plot point? Will it be an ongoing, every episode, oh-my-God-they-killed-Kenny type of thing? And isn't it out of character for Tom to be so careless? Dude is a consummate professional on the regular Blacklist show and makes very few dumb mistakes.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Never mind about my "if it gets renewed for a second season (against all odds)" comment above ... Last night's ratings for Blacklist Redemption actually went up from the previous week: 1.0 up from a 0.8. Doesn't happen often for shows! If this holds up for the next six weeks, NBC just might bring it back next year, haha

Jhoan

[shrug] There aren't many of us watching either of these shows on GAF, it seems. And Redemption is only eight weeks long, with two of those down. Maybe make a thread if it gets renewed for a second season (against all odds).

Yeah, the direction was a bit on the nose when she mentioned that the guy died without his mom knowing his true identity. It's fine; this show isn't much for subtlety, it seems. I did like this episode better than the first one, though. I understood better why I should care about the person the team is trying to save, while I struggled to care much about the victim in the first episode (why does the team care about her? I don't know).

The flow of the episode was better, too, but that's probably because the first episode had to introduce everyone and get them together, and still find time in the episode to send them on an adventure. It was a lot to cram in. The second episode could focus on just one thing, the mission at hand.

One complaint: Two episodes in a row now, the rescued person has expressed desire to leave the team's care after being rescued and Tom has stupidly left that rescued person alone so they can escape, and escape they do. How many times will they use that plot point? Will it be an ongoing, every episode, oh-my-God-they-killed-Kenny type of thing? And isn't it out of character for Tom to be so careless? Dude is a consummate professional on the regular Blacklist show and makes very few dumb mistakes.
post-29513-there-are-dozens-like-us-gif-I-NYgW.gif

You have a good point though. It doesn't really warrant a thread unless it gets renewed for a second season. I'm liking the editing style a lot but it reminds me of something like Splinter Cell: Blacklist (pun not intended) with the team drama stuff. I agree that giving a back story to the person of the episode that they're rescuing doesn't make much sense. Yeah, the guy was
Scotty's BFF's son
which gives her a raison d'etre but it doesn't have any payoff aside from what? Moms grieving over their kids? C'mon son!

If anything, I think Bokenkamp is beating viewers too much over the head with Scotty' cryptic words at the end of every episode. His audience isn't dumb; they may as well let the cat out of the bag already because it doesn't have the same amount of tension as say Walter White's relationship with Hank in Breaking Bad where the payoff has catastrophic consequences for him. While I don't think The Blacklist would have the chutzpah to do anything of that scale, I do hope that the stakes become higher going forward and they get to the mission sooner rather than later as opposed to the the 35-40 minutes of the show.

The bolded got a good laugh out of me. I have no idea why Tom is so incompetent since it's out of character for a guy who's been in many kill or be killed scenarios. If anything, this last episode reminded me of your typical 3rd person shooter down to the shoot out by the embassy. Just add a Press Triangle to grieve prompt as well as a HUD for ammo and it would have been set. I'm happy to see that it got higher ratings since the premise as a whole is still pretty fun character actions and pacing issues aside.

I just binged all of The Blacklist. There's some things that really bug me (I wish they'd stop this shit with Samar and Aram, it's just annoying at this point) but watching James Spader do his thing makes up for a lot of my complaints. I also dig the music and thankfully some kind soul on Spotify created a playlist with all the songs from the episodes. Aram's probably my favorite considering the small amount of backstory we've gotten for him; I feel like the secondary characters are somewhat neglected on this show.

I'll be starting on Redemption tonight and I'm looking forward to it; I've always liked Tom, mostly because he's really pretty to look at, but I also like Terry O'Quinn and Edi Gathegi. Although it sounds like Tom's stupidity in Redemption might bother me a bit.

Jhoan

It only took several episodes but finally the cat is out of the bag and the borderline incestuous relationship is over! Mattias sure was itching to pull the trigger and take out Tom. Next week's episode is looking real good bringing in mainline BL characters into the Redemption fold for the finale.

Jhoan

Aside from the pointless backstories of the people that they were rescuing and some dumb decisions by Tom, the last two episodes have been solid. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all goes down in the finale next week. I have a feeling that it's going to end with Tom's pops dying but I might end up eating crow in a week.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Aside from the pointless backstories of the people that they were rescuing and some dumb decisions by Tom, the last two episodes have been solid. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all goes down in the finale next week. I have a feeling that it's going to end with Tom's pops dying but I might end up eating crow in a week.

Dumb decisions by Tom? In Blacklist Redemption? You don't say! LoL

FFP2

I enjoyed Redemption quite a bit tbh. Its more stylish and I enjoyed the character interactions more (mainly Solomon's scenes). I found it way more interesting overall than the recent seasons of the main Blacklist show lol. Guess I got tired of the formula.

Kinda big spoiler:
I'm super dissapointed that they didn't expand upon Scottie potentially being a sleeper agent. And the super predictable plot twists at the end. Hopefully we get a season 2 and they do more stuff with Scottie.

Top Bottom