• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Official Thread [360/PS3] - Be Ready for the Rebel

Quixzlizx

OK, this thread just inspired me to pre-order. Now I just need to find a stick for under $100. I don't think I'm good enough at fighting games for the quality of the stick to affect my play. :lol

Quixzlizx

If anyone is buying the 360 version and prefers pads over sticks, the Chun Li SFIV pad is currently in stock at Amazon. I'm actually getting the PS3 version of BB, but I needed a pad for 360 shmups/2d xbla games.

Chun Li SFIV Pad (The link defaults to Ken, which is OOS)

MarkMan said:
Yea... I don't wish to be in anyone else' shoes trying to find a BB stick. Luckily I have my sticks on lock.

Just keep paying attention to AKSYS' BB site. ;)
Aksys? As in US publisher?

Holy shit I'd explode.

Ferrio

Banned
Any of the character's play like Bridget? IE, lockdown with a secondary item (yoyo being bridget's). Also how does Noel play and stack up tier wise?

Ferrio said:
Any of the character's play like Bridget? IE, lockdown with a secondary item (yoyo being bridget's). Also how does Noel play and stack up tier wise?
I guess Litchi and her staff is what you're looking for.
Noel is dead mid-tier

Yes Boss!

_dementia said:
I guess Litchi and her staff is what you're looking for.
Noel is dead mid-tier

She is the only one I'm playing. So cute.

screenshot_04.jpg

LowParry

I'm going the Gamefly route with this game for now. Looks great but the gameplay has me on the fence. If it is solid, I'll just buy it through Gamefly. Overall everything is looking great. I'll be a little late for it. But getting PS3 version.

Volcynika

I guess since Ferrio asked a similar question, I have one that's more general.

Players that have played both this and GG, are there any characters in BB that match up to the playstyles of certain GG characters? Or is it radically different enough to where it's hard to put a label on a character being a lot like someone else?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm using Noel as a main right now... with a little bit of Arakune on the side.

I've been practicing her throw cancel combos, shit is pretty bauss..

Noel's gunkata playstyle looks like it's a lot of fun. Rachel looks pretty interesting as well. All of the characters look like they'd be fun to use. I like Arakune though, so damned odd.

LowParry

I honestly have no idea who I'll want to play. I've seen plenty of the game. Just have the outlet to play it here. At all. I just hope online is solid.

Emotions

360 version is mine just like all the multiplat releases :D.
I got Battle Phantasia for 360 and Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus for Wii.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I looooooved Guilty Gear & GGX, but haven't really played one since then. I always played as Milia Rage in those games, with a dash of Potemkin. Is there a character like Milia in this game?

JEKKI

momolicious said:
Isnt there enough space on BLURAY? even if not, cant they do double layer
well the xbox version has a DVD... gotta keep it fair I guess.

MarkMan said:
I've been practicing her throw cancel combos, shit is pretty bauss..
BAUSS~!!

It's killing me not knowing... does anyone know if the PS3 and 360 versions are identical? Like as in, identical identical, besides the Blu-ray format bonus disc?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
So far I haven't noticed a difference. I first asked AKSYS this awhile ago, and they assured me there are no differences. Take that for what it's worth though.

ultim8p00

Banned
I'm a fairly average Street Fighter IV player. How does this compare to SFIV? Especially in terms of inputting commands? I can already tell it is much faster and more agressive. Which I like.

In videos the game looks so similiar to Guilty Gear...why isn't this GGX3? I know there was some rights issue with Sega (like they own Sol or the other way around). Is this like Dark Stalkers, a different fighting game from Aksys or isthis their replacement for GG?

Also, what are the main differences between this and GG in how it plays?

robut said:
Is this like Dark Stalkers, a different fighting game from Aksys or isthis their replacement for GG?

I imagine it's both, a new series meant to replace Guilty Gear since Sammy/Sega have some sort of hold over the rights to the characters or the series.

LowParry

ultim8p00 said:
I'm a fairly average Street Fighter IV player. How does this compare to SFIV? Especially in terms of inputting commands? I can already tell it is much faster and more agressive. Which I like.

If BB is anything like GG, it's a little more forgiving with input commands. Compared with SFIV you have to be a little more precise.

ultim8p00 said:
it's rather lenient

also the console port resurrects EO mode from Gamecube/Xbox ports of CvS2 by mapping specials to the left analog stick directions.

For comparisons to BlazBlue <=> Guilty Gear battle systems:

Barrier - Faultless Defense

Ukemi - Ukemi (It's actually the same name, but fighting game veterans will recognize it as "tech(ing)")

Barrier Burst - Burst

Instant Guard - Instant Block

Counter Assault - Dead Angle Attack

Astral Heat - Instant Kill

Rapid Cancel - Roman Cancel/Forced Roman Cancel

Throw Escape - Throw Break

Distortion Drive - Overdrive

By the way, after reading the entire description, each and every technique is performed exactly the same. Hilarity!

I note that Slashback has been removed, probably because it was so damn useless.

For me, but I'm a scrub.

Yeah, I forgot the first post showed all the techs. Looks pretty much the same, I guess there's no dust move? Also, the replacement for burst seems to only stop combos, in GG you'd get a full super gauge against unguarded foes.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
robut said:
Also, what are the main differences between this and GG in how it plays?

The biggest difference is in the attacks. Guilty Gear had Punches, Kicks, Slashes, Heavy Slashes, and Dust. BlazBlue has Weak, Medium, Strong, and Drive attacks. Most of the Guilty Gear XX systems are in place with different names, although some like FRC's and Dust attacks were removed.

ZealousD

FlightOfHeaven said:
By the way, after reading the entire description, each and every technique is performed exactly the same. Hilarity!

Burst and Barrier aren't quite the same though. Basically, Burst and Faultless Defense was combined into Barrier. Instead of needing to build a burst gauge and use it, using burst will deplete the Barrier gauge and make you more vunerable to attacks. Also, Barrier has it's own gauge rather than using Heat/Tension. So a little mixing there.

ZealousD

robut said:
What's Drive Attack? Is it just the strongest of the main 4 attacks or does it have a unique property?

It's the "cool shit" attack button. The character descriptions give you a little insight into them for each character. There's a couple interviews in the OP that talk a bit more about them.

JEKKI

robut said:
What's Drive Attack? Is it just the strongest of the main 4 attacks or does it have a unique property?
Drive is a unique attack each character has, it is the reason why each character feels like you are playing a separate game.

as far as characters I have messed with:

Litchi - controls/equips/unequips staff
Carl - controls puppet
Noel - does custom combos

for other characters, I kno is does the dash attack for Taokaka and controls the wind for Rachel.

really, u jus gotta play and enjoy the game for yourself!

This game is definitely unique. u cant compare it to GG, u cant compare the characters to any other games as the game has done a fantastic job making each character feel so individual. Granted there are some similarities, but that's like saying SF and KOF are similar becoz both games have a punch button and a blocking mechanism.

TreIII

Oh yes, come to Papa, Hakumen! :lol

PS3 version is where I'm going first. Maybe I might join the 360 wagon later on.

"Gorilla Fate is Turning" :lol

God I'm hyped for this one. I had pre ordered both the PS3 and the 360 version a few months ago. I'm not hopping on the 360 version till I get a stick (common HRAP EX from NCSX).

Top Bottom