• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cave |OT| Choose your own Adventurers

Game has been bought. Can't wait to sink my teeth into it later tonight! Loved Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle when I was a kid.

JMizzlin

Bought this afternoon and just finished my first playthrough with my roommate!
Did it with the Hillbilly, Time-Traveller and Adventurer. I had no idea about the game, simply tried the trial, had a fun time and bought it.

And it was a great game! Only wish the AI controlled character/s or camera were better.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Double Fine should just release new characters as dlc and milk this game for all it's worth.
Ron, JP, Chris...listen to this guy right here.

Zweisy1

I am absolutely loving the game. So much better than Deathspank and to my tastes probably the best thing Doublefine has made since Psychonauts.

Good job Ron Gilbert and Doublefine.

nickcv

Double Fine should just release new characters as dlc and milk this game for all it's worth.

I'd buy em all.

Ron, JP, Chris...listen to this guy right here.

isn't this a bad idea?

i'm going to play the game for the first time today, but for what i understand you cannot skip the shared puzzles and playing those parts over and over and over again with additional DLC character would really drag the game.

nny

isn't this a bad idea?

i'm going to play the game for the first time today, but for what i understand you cannot skip the shared puzzles and playing those parts over and over and over again with additional DLC character would really drag the game.

They could add DLC characters in groups of three.

nickcv

They could add DLC characters in groups of three.

for what i did understand it takes you about 4 hours to complete a run with 3 characters.
how much of that time is spent on shared locations and how much on character specific locations?

nny

for what i did understand it takes you about 4 hours to complete a run with 3 characters.
how much of that time is spent on shared locations and how much on character specific locations?

It takes ~4 hours when you are discovering the solution to the puzzles. If you know what to do it goes much faster - the shared parts go quickly (~10 minutes each?). Granted, it's not the funnest thing in the world to replay them time and time again, no matter how fast they can be beaten.

nickcv

It takes ~4 hours when you are discovering the solution to the puzzles. If you know what to do it goes much faster - the shared parts go quickly (~10 minutes each?). Granted, it's not the funnest thing in the world to replay them time and time again, no matter how fast they can be beaten.

how's the share however?
40% shared
60% individual?

nny

how's the share however?
40% shared
60% individual?

Good question. There are (let me spoiler this, just in case)
5 (start and end bits and then the 3 major shared puzzle locations
shared locations and the 3 individual locations. The shared locations are simpler than the individual ones; I'd skew those numbers a bit more towards the individual locations. But I've done so many playthroughs that my memory might be biased (the second-third time you play, the shared locations fly by and you spend most of the time on the new puzzles).

wouwie

I played some more last night. Suddenly the game quit to xmb and i lost a big chunck of my progress. Also had a problem in a certain area with the camera (same problem as Lord error reported and i had to restart a couple of times to get it working). Also, a bit too much ladders, ropes and walking around empty sections maybe. Also, i'm not a fan of the "magnetic" controls (the platforming and walking around doesn't feel right in some way) and technically it is never super smooth.

I do love the idea/gameplay, the visuals, the atmosphere and the sound.

I need to play more/finish the game for a final opinion. But i'm glad someone is taking a risk to create this kind of (original) game.

CzarTim

Quick question about the Scientist's area:

Does the menu item correspond to the day of the week in real life, or was it a mere coincidence that it was a Thursday when I did the area?

Vert boil

Quick question about the Scientist's area:

Does the menu item correspond to the day of the week in real life, or was it a mere coincidence that it was a Thursday when I did the area?

It didn't correspond for me. Think it was tuesday's number for me.

Is anyone familiar with the save file location of the Steam version?
via http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Cave

%APPDATA\Roaming\Doublefine\TheCave\[usernumber]\auto.sav

So c:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\.. on Win 7.

Randdalf

Just bought the game on my Wii U, going to play it later.

DFNathan: now that your engine is ported to Wii U, would there be a lot of work involved in porting your other titles to the system? (or are there contractual issues which would prevent you from doing that in the first place?)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I sifted through my thoughts overnight and I think my opinion has improved of the game a bit. I'm looking forward to continuing my second playthrough and picking apart some of these achievements (I will get 100% for my DF achievement collection dammit) and doing an eventual screenshot run with SSAA when it's patched in.

I think if I was ever to make a game myself that I would design it sort of like this.

nny

DSC08277.jpg

Heh, Alice in Wonderland re-imagined with an all-rabbit cast?

Volodja

huh, really? I guess you
get an alternative ending for each character
?
I think so.
I mean,
there are achievements for seeing the corruption and redemption of every character.
However, I fear that it just boils down to giving the object you get at the end back, so it will be pretty much a grind through the same areas and puzzles all over again.
I'll see in my current run because I've included 2 heros that I've already finished the game with so I'll try and see if that's all there is to it as soon as I muster the will to do the most annoying parts again.

Violet_0

Banned
I think so.
I mean,
there are achievements for seeing the corruption and redemption of every character.
However, I fear that it just boils down to giving the object you get at the end back, so it will be pretty much a grind through the same areas and puzzles all over again.
I'll see in my current run because I've included 2 heros that I've already finished the game with so I'll try and see if that's all there is to it as soon as I muster the will to do the most annoying parts again.

just finished my 3rd playthrough, this is correct.
Never really thought about giving back the objects before, heh.

I'd rank the characters and puzzle rooms like this: Twins > Time Traveler > Knight > Hillbilly > Adventurer > Monk > Scientist

Sendou

At the very first well you see in the game
there's a cave painting behind it and the well should be destroyable. Apparently you should be able to use rusty crank on the well so it drops a bucket and also lets you get the cave painting. Now the thing is I used the Monk's telekinesis to get the bucket and now the well doesn't seem to respond to the crank.

Am I screwed?

Violet_0

Banned
At the very first well you see in the game
there's a cave painting behind it and the well should be destroyable. Apparently you should be able to use rusty crank on the well so it drops a bucket and also lets you get the cave painting. Now the thing is I used the Monk's telekinesis to get the bucket and now the well doesn't seem to respond to the crank.

Am I screwed?

you probably won't be able to get it in this playthrough, I guess. It's just a picture, but if you're haven't really progressed much further yet you might want to consider restarting. As a rule of thumb, you are never required to use your special abilities outside of the character-specific puzzle rooms unless you bring the Hillbilly/Adventurer along

nny

Ok, done - 100% trophies! Overall I had a lot of fun with the game, from puzzles, to the characters and theirs stories/scenarios and the overall presentation. However, there are a few details that could easily improve the experience, especially on replays. It would be great to have a button to call your partners to where you are; to avoid repeating the same path three times. On replays it would be good to have the option to - if not repeated puzzles - at least skip the cutscenes. That is, there is room for improvement for the sequel ;P

What system is this best on? I wanted to get it for wii u but I think it's on sale on psn and the frame rate is best on 360/pc version?

On a related note, can someone summarize the frame rate issues being seen? How is it on each platform? How much of an issue is it. Any word on future patches to fix it?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ok, done - 100% trophies! Overall I had a lot of fun with the game, from puzzles, to the characters and theirs stories/scenarios and the overall presentation. However, there are a few details that could easily improve the experience, especially on replays. It would be great to have a button to call your partners to where you are; to avoid repeating the same path three times. On replays it would be good to have the option to - if not repeated puzzles - at least skip the cutscenes. That is, there is room for improvement for the sequel ;P

How many replays did it take you?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just downloading a patch over steam, any changelog available?
I've heard that the update removes 30FPS cap. Masterrace rejoices. Is there a similar update for Mac version?

On a related note, can someone summarize the frame rate issues being seen? How is it on each platform? How much of an issue is it. Any word on future patches to fix it?
I've only played PS3 version and the framerate dips every time there's water on the screen. Other than that it's relatively solid 30FPS. From what I've played it doesn't impact gameplay at all, only presentation suffers a bit when it happens. PC/Mac versions have 30FPS cap, or at least they had it as the new update possibly removes it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm on the 6th of the 7 character specific areas (2nd run) and I think these unique areas have the strongest design in the game. It's kind of sad to think people will just beat the game once and miss 4 puzzle zones.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there a way to hide the mouse cursor for people who only play with controllers in big picture mode?

CzarTim

I think I ran into a huge bug on The Island:

I used the kegs to blow up the rocks and pulled the lever & valves, but the cave won't fill up with water. Been stuck here for two days. I looked up the GameFAQ after exhausting all other options, only to find that what is suppose to happen... doesn't.

Tried to restart the game to no avail. Game breaking unless I'm missing something.

nny

I think I ran into a huge bug on The Island:

I used the kegs to blow up the rocks and pulled the lever & valves, but the cave won't fill up with water. Been stuck here for two days. I looked up the GameFAQ after exhausting all other options, only to find that what is suppose to happen... doesn't.

Tried to restart the game to no avail. Game breaking unless I'm missing something.

Are you talking about
the first portion of the cave under the island that you need to fill with water? Did you put the three tubes in place in the plumbing - a straight, a cross-shaped and a curved one? That's the only think I can think of.

Top Bottom