• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cave |OT| Choose your own Adventurers

d1rtn4p

Just wrapped up my third and final playthrough. Loved, loved, loved it. Felt like I got 2-3 complete stories wrapped in 30 minute packages with each playthrough. The ending area was also a great throwback to Ron's older stuff and I'm glad he got to include it. It's my favorite Double Fine game to date coming in right in front of Costume Quest.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No, and also no. How does it work, are there alternative solutions to the character puzzles?

In the ending your got, the Cave points out that the characters did not learn their lessons. What lessons should they have learned?
Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it
. If you play through with the Monk, this is made explicit at the end of his character section.

Now apply that and change your behaviour accordingly.

deviljho

Does the WiiU version allow 'on gamepad', ie, no TV play?

No, the devs stated here that it wasn't worth the time/effort, particularly with the audio. No one really knows how much time and energy it would take outside of a few studios brief musings. The implementation may not be a "snap of the finger", but plenty of retail and eshop/indie games already support the feature, so it's tough to say how much work it actually entails.

It's enough for me to not want this game on the Wii U, and maybe wait for some ridiculous Steam sale down the road to pay $2.50 or not buy it at all on any platform. Whereas I would buy it on the Wii U with off-tv play, not that my case affects their decision making.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this has been covered, but I just booted up the PC version and it feels like it's locked at 30fps or something. Is that the case? Is there any way to unlock the framerate if so?

Artanisix

Sorry if this has been covered, but I just booted up the PC version and it feels like it's locked at 30fps or something. Is that the case? Is there any way to unlock the framerate if so?

Locked at 30 fps due to the engine limitations. They want to release it to 60fps but it requires a complete rewrite iirc.

RetroMG

Was surprised to see chuck in the game but not as a plant.

Chuck the Plant is in the Twin's bedroom.

Bought this on PS3 along with Ni No Kuni and Little Big Planet Karting. Almost bought it on Wii U for off screen play, so knowing that it isn't there makes me glad I didn't do it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Locked at 30 fps due to the engine limitations. They want to release it to 60fps but it requires a complete rewrite iirc.

That sucks. The game really does feel kind of sluggish as is.

One more thing. Am I missing something or does it lack native 360 pad support, too?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
In the ending your got, the Cave points out that the characters did not learn their lessons. What lessons should they have learned?
Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it
. If you play through with the Monk, this is made explicit at the end of his character section.

Now apply that and change your behaviour accordingly.

Thaaat sounds mysterious and nice, but won't make it for me ;) I searched up and down for another way to finish the twins section for example, but there only seems to be one possible way out. Am I wrong here? Is there? Or is it just "find all pics within the cave"? Just explain it with the twins section (or the adventurer), 'cause I surely won't play those two again.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thaaat sounds mysterious and nice, but won't make it for me ;) I searched up and down for another way to finish the twins section for example, but there only seems to be one possible way out. Am I wrong here? Is there? Or is it just "find all pics within the cave"? Just explain it with the twins section (or the adventurer), 'cause I surely won't play those two again.

nothing in the cave, nothing in the character-specific section; the distinction between endings occurs in the last 5 minutes of gameplay in the whole game.

nothing in the cave, nothing in the character-specific section; the distinction between endings occurs in the last 5 minutes of gameplay in the whole game.

Damn, I can't remember what I did the first time I played. But at the start of the second playthrough I think the game made clear that I had chosen poorly..

Sober

Beat all the characters, but will probably take some time later to do the alternate endings. (did not know they existed).

I'm guessing the postcard achievement is like the HL2 episode 2 gnome one, gotta just carry it all the way through?

edit: are some of the achievements only supposed to pop up after you do their alternate endings? (strange because I got all the bad endings but it didn't pop for me)

ArjanN

Beat all the characters, but will probably take some time later to do the alternate endings. (did not know they existed).

I'm guessing the postcard achievement is like the HL2 episode 2 gnome one, gotta just carry it all the way through?

edit: are some of the achievements only supposed to pop up after you do their alternate endings? (strange because I got all the bad endings but it didn't pop for me)

Yeah, you have to bring to postcard all the way through the game, then return it to the store at the end, it's not that hard as you never really need to have more than 2 characters holding something, just make sure one character is always holding it, so it doesn't get left behind when the game transports the other characters to you at a checkpoint.

If you're going for all the achievements I strongly suggest looking at a guide, or you'll have to do several extra playthroughs for stuff you missed.

All achievements unlocked last night right before midnight. Ended up having to go through the game like 6 or 7 times. Absolutely loved the game. Definitely scratched the adventure itch. Thanks Ron and Double Fine! Now please bring on the DLC!

Could DLC characters be
The Actor/Actress, The Rock Star and The Mayan? Perhaps the three initial trinkets you needed to get into The Cave were hints. Or what about the three dead bodies you run into late in the game - The Clown, The Robot and The Pirate?

a1iyFaM.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You are missing something. It has native 360 pad support.

Hmm...

Is there a toggle somewhere? I didn't see it in the options.

I had my controller plugged in, but I would only get keyboard/mouse prompts and it would respond only to my keyboard/mouse input.

Tizzzzz

Neo Member
Played through once with the scientist, hillbilly, and monk [I basically picked them to try to save most of the more interesting characters for later playthroughs, though I thought the hillbilly would be the worst and I probably enjoyed his character-specific puzzle section the most]; didn't necessarily enjoy the puzzles themselves but I like the tone of the game and I'm looking forward to eventually playing through two more times for the remaining four characters at least.

I know it's probably easy enough to plan around keeping characters together when you need them or whatever, but I really wish I could just press a button to call all characters to the same place. If that one thing was in the game it would improve my experience so much it's not even funny. Still enjoy seeing Ron being Ron though! And the game should satiate my appetite for adventure games at least until the Kickstarter adventure game gets released, whenever that may be.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
No, the devs stated here that it wasn't worth the time/effort, particularly with the audio. No one really knows how much time and energy it would take outside of a few studios brief musings. The implementation may not be a "snap of the finger", but plenty of retail and eshop/indie games already support the feature, so it's tough to say how much work it actually entails.

It's enough for me to not want this game on the Wii U, and maybe wait for some ridiculous Steam sale down the road to pay $2.50 or not buy it at all on any platform. Whereas I would buy it on the Wii U with off-tv play, not that my case affects their decision making.

It's so stupid that the devs didn't want to bother with the off tv play. I heard it's literally two lines of code to implement it.

It's a no sale for me. In a moment of weakness (and 'cause it was cheap) I bought ZombiU but that's the last game I buy on WiiU that doesn't support off tv play.

I just bought it the minute I made my previous post. Started playing it the last 15 minutes and I actually love the atmosphere, the introduction and its mechanics. If this keeps up this is going in my Top 5 PSN games.

deviljho

It's so stupid that the devs didn't want to bother with the off tv play. I heard it's literally two lines of code to implement it.

That's not exactly correct. Regardless, I agree that multiplatform ports should all implement off-tv play.

It's a no sale for me. In a moment of weakness (and 'cause it was cheap) I bought ZombiU but that's the last game I buy on WiiU that doesn't support off tv play.

Zombi U can't have off-tv play because you need two screens to play it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Could DLC characters be
The Actor/Actress, The Rock Star and The Mayan? Perhaps the three initial trinkets you needed to get into The Cave were hints. Or what about the three dead bodies you run into late in the game - The Clown, The Robot and The Pirate?
Hah, that could be really cool.

I like the game, but really beating it 7 times is not my idea of fun. I don't think I can ever see any more minecarts in my lifetime.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just pressed start on the controller when I got to the title screen.

I'll try that later tonight. I just used the mouse to start it up last night, so it must have locked me into Mouse/Keyboard since that's what I used at the title screen.

Wow...

So pretty much, you don't want the Wii U to take advantage of its primary gimmick (Dual Screen play)?

Hah, that could be really cool.

I like the game, but really beating it 7 times is not my idea of fun. I don't think I can ever see any more minecarts in my lifetime.

Well, it's only that many times to 100% the trophies/achievements. It's two and a third-ish times to see everyone's areas. (And the Knight and Hillbilly are before the minecarts, so you'd only have to play that section twice if you saved them for the last playthrough.

Hm, I was really anticipating the game, but after reading the Rock Paper Shotgun review I'm gonna wait for a sale. The review also reinforced the impression which I got from some videos that the platforming is rather clunky.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've been enjoying the game a lot. Puzzles have been great so far, dialogue fun. Right now we're (playing this with wife) completely stuck at time traveller's section, and I can't stress enough how much I love that there are still games around with these types of puzzles, that can get me stumped.

I'm not going to lie, I thought that Ron Gilbert "lost it" a bit in the recent years, but this game is absolutely worthy of his legacy, and a real return to form for him.

To anyone worried about jumping or whatever - don't even think about it, seriously. If you loved Monkey Island, if you love good puzzles and fun and occasionally ominous monologue, just get the game. Jumping is 100% predictable and gets you from point A to point B with good efficiency, even if it feels clunky while doing so. You won't ever feel frustrated by it or feel that controls are slowing you down or anything like that. The game also looks great, the atmosphere can be quite something at times.

One of their devs explained why it's not done, it really didn't sound like two lines of code, as he said they had to create another set of all audio files, which would blow the executable size up too much for eshop accepted size.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
He meant for the demo version, which sounds ridiculous, tbh.
If it is like PSN, demo version is same exact executable as full version, and you just download an unlock key when you buy the game. Maybe they just wanted to keep things simple for production like that, and not create multiple files that would require multiple TRC.

deviljho

If it is like PSN, demo version is same exact executable as full version, and you just download an unlock key when you buy the game. Maybe they just wanted to keep things simple for production like that, and not create multiple files that would require multiple TRC.

It's not the same for Wii U eShop. I'm in agreement that off-tv play implementation is more work than just "snapping your finger," but I don't think skipping the feature is acceptable. Indie devs already offer off-tv play and even some nice asymmetric two-screen features. Publishers/devs will make their choice, and I will make mine. No crying either way.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's not the same for Wii U eShop. I'm in agreement that off-tv play implementation is more work than just "snapping your finger," but I don't think skipping the feature is acceptable. Publishers/devs will make their choice, and I will make mine. No crying either way.
I hope they add it later in a patch. What I think probably happened is, publishers know that releasing a game on a platform later than what's released on other platforms is like a kiss of death for sales. From the looks of it they already struggled a bit to make the release date (PC version was delayed for a day) so if it was between adding this and releasing later, or not adding it and releasing at the same time, they probably chose the later.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, it's only that many times to 100% the trophies/achievements. It's two and a third-ish times to see everyone's areas. (And the Knight and Hillbilly are before the minecarts, so you'd only have to play that section twice if you saved them for the last playthrough.
I mean 7 characters * 2 endings = 14 / 3 per play = 4ish, rounded up to 5. 5 is a lot.

L00P

Okay, my brother just figured out why there are an odd number of playable characters. Not sure if posted yet

Hillbilly -
Lust
Knight -
Sloth
Scientist -
Greed
Twins -
Gluttony
Time Traveler -
Envy
Adventurer -
Pride?
Monk -
Wrath?

Not sure about the last characters because I haven't seen the adventurer's last two paintings and the monk kinda fits both of them

Also the group who failed were the the
clown, the pirate and the robot
And the other non-playable spelunkers who are still in the cave are the
miner, the hunter, and the hermit

fake edit: I didn't know there were alternate endings holy shit

Artanisix

Okay, my brother just figured out why there are an odd number of playable characters. Not sure if posted yet

Hillbilly -
Lust
Knight -
Sloth
Scientist -
Greed
Twins -
Gluttony
Time Traveler -
Envy
Adventurer -
Pride?
Monk -
Wrath?

Not sure about the last characters because I haven't seen the adventurer's last two paintings and the monk kinda fits both of them

Also the group who failed were the the
clown, the pirate and the robot
And the other non-playable spelunkers who are still in the cave are the
miner, the hunter, and the hermit

fake edit: I didn't know there were alternate endings holy shit

Hmm not sure if I buy the Knight being
sloth
or the twins being
gluttony
. Explain?

L00P

Hmm not sure if I buy the Knight being
sloth
or the twins being
gluttony
. Explain?

Knight -
He does jack shit to become a knight, didn't do knightly stuff
Twins -
Spoiled brats. They got whatever the fuck they want. Goes far to murder their parents to obtain "freedom"

Aaron

Considering the people and the studio behind it, I really wanted to like the Cave, but I don't. I find the movement slow and clunky, especially having to manage three characters, and the humor misses for me more than it hits. The fact that the playable characters don't ever speak or react to what's going on around them takes me completely out of the experience. Doesn't help that the power of more than half of them is pretty much useless for most of the game.

Obviously this is personal opinion, but I don't find the game fun at all.

I can't imagine it scratching anyones 2d platformer itch, but it certainly scratches the adventure game itch.
It didn't for me. If I wanted to play a game of fetching items, there are plenty of f2p MMOs out there. I was hoping for something with a lot more personality and character.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Don't want to spoil anything, but is it pretty obvious after a certain point how to do the alternate endings? Someone said it's apparent after the monk's stage?

ArjanN

You can get all the achievements in 5 playthroughs, but really only with a guide though.

Don't want to spoil anything, but is it pretty obvious after a certain point how to do the alternate endings? Someone said it's apparent after the monk's stage?

You make the ending decision only at the very end of the game. It's sort of obvious if you think about it.

How to get the alternate ending:
you talk to the guy at the gift shop three times to return your item to the store before leaving the cave

It's interesting how (ending content spoilers):
If you do a mix of good and bad endings it becomes obvious only the characters who pick the good ending actually get to leave, the others are just trapped in the illusion of the cave and die, and on the next run you'll find their skeletons in the cave.

BioHazard

So for the Twins' puzzle...
How do you get the rat poison? The steam is blocking it and I see the valve for it underneath the basement, but have no idea how to get there. Any hints or tips? I think I have done everything else in the level

Sendou

So for the Twins' puzzle...
How do you get the rat poison? The steam is blocking it and I see the valve for it underneath the basement, but have no idea how to get there. Any hints or tips? I think I have done everything else in the level

Don't forget your companions. I take it you have done what the mom asked you to do?

Top Bottom