• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The character design for The Order: 1886 is so good.

jmood88

For a game set at a time and location when seeing non-white face was like a shiny Pokemon.

Also for a game where they have weapons that never existed at the time period in which it was set and creatures that never existed at all. Funny how you're all about historical accuracy when it comes to ethnicity but have no problem with other historically inaccurate aspects of the game.

It's a shame that even in a fantasy setting, where you could do whatever you want, a non-white main character would stick out above everything else.

I really like Galahad's design. The rest are good, but not great. Can't wait to see new gameplay in December!

And lol at the people bitching about no minorities.

Robot Pants

I'm not upset, I'm bored of seeing white males as the stars in games over and over and over again.

What social class were the fictional monsters that populate the game?
I think we are looking at the wrong thing here. It's still a period piece and a setting that they are trying to keep accurate. They are just adding one fictional element to it; werewolves.
Just because they add that does that mean they should also be adding a bunch of things out of place like Ford Mustangs and Slap Bracelets? Then the whole thing becomes a joke.

Plus none of us know if there aren't any black or non-white characters in the whole game yet. It's not even out. There very well could be, but based on the period setting, expecting one of the MAIN characters to be anything other than white is gonna be stretch. When the game comes out and there aren't any non-white characters then feel free to litter the front page of GAF with numerous threads about why it's so horrible.

here you go bro

15665063218_42b5605c4b_c.jpg

it's not a white male so it's already better
Lol I'd rather play a bald space marine than that skinnies wearing hipster atrocity from north Chicago hell

jmood88

I think we are looking at the wrong thing here. It's still a period piece and a setting that they are trying to keep accurate. They are just adding one fictional element to it; werewolves.
Just because they add that does that mean they should also be adding a bunch of things out of place like Ford Mustangs and Slap Bracelets? Then the whole thing becomes a joke.
This also features characters who are able to live for however long they want and futuristic weapons that never existed during the time. If non-white people had never existed prior to the time the game is set, then you may have a slight point (though, again, they use futuristic technology as weapons) but there were non-whites living during this time.
Plus none of us know if there aren't any black or non-white characters in the whole game yet. It's not even out. There very well could be, but based on the period setting, expecting one of the MAIN characters to be anything other than white is gonna be stretch. When the game comes out and there aren't any non-white characters then feel free to liter the front page of GAF with numerous threads about why it's so horrible.
It is hilarious that a black/asian/latino/whatever character starring in the game would be a stretch but a group of people who sip a magical potion to live forever and fight werewolves with future guns is just par for the course.

This also features characters who are able to live for however long they want and futuristic weapons that never existed during the time. If non-white people had never existed prior to the time the game is set, then you may have a slight point (though, again, they use futuristic technology as weapons) but there were non-whites living during this time.

It is hilarious that a black/asian/latino/whatever character starring in the game would be a stretch but a group of people who sip a magical potion to live forever and fight werewolves with future guns is just par for the course.

Pretty much this. Nobody making these criticism are getting mad, It's just simply a valid point to highlight, especially when a lot of the responses are 'lol people whining about no minorities' or 'it's a period setting'.

Huh ? TLOU isn't even a zombie game..
yes it is.
Weird, with your avatar and all...
There's no Zombies in The Last of Us, and this game is about Werewolves and stuff.

the walking dead is a different story. i don't care or even like the zombies, i just really care about the characters.

But I don't care what anyone says, tlou is essentially a zombie stealth game.

sure, they're not "undead," but they are definitely zombies in every sense of what they mean in popular fiction.

Mr Moose

yes it is.

the walking dead is a different story. i don't care or even like the zombies, i just really care about the characters.

But I don't care what anyone says, tlou is essentially a zombie stealth game.

sure, they're not "undead," but they are definitely zombies in every sense of what they mean in popular fiction.

Zombie-like? Sure.
Zombie? No.

Anyway, I don't think there are any in this game, I could be wrong though (I have only seen Werewolves so far).

Loomer

I wasn't big on the character looks at the reveal, but I think they did a great job improving the models, easpecially Isabeau's.

the-order-comp-1.png

Zombie-like? Sure.
Zombie? No.

Anyway, I don't think there are any in this game, I could be wrong though (I have only seen Werewolves so far).

whatever. "zombie-like" it's just there own versions of zombies. dead people, or people who are "ravenous, out of their minds, and craving human flesh" like how jeremy jahns described the infected in 28 days later, right at the 00:34 mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbuCnTZvTvQ which is described as a zombie movie even though they are just infected people, not the undead.

all of the enemies in this game don't look like werewolves to me. i guess i must wait till february.

Shin-Ra

Galahad and Lafayette's faces look a little too similar at a distance but they're very stylish, attractive designs with clear differentiation between materials. I don't feel I can relate to what any of the characters are saying or doing yet.

The facial animation I've seen isn't quite top-tier gaming stuff but well above the norm.

The cloth physics for the uniforms is about the best I've seen.

Scrabble

Looking at these characters I couldn't tell you a damn thing about them. Nothing about their design communicates their personality, background, profession, nothing. This is an example of really poor character design.

Not all character designs need to follow the logic of "you see this dude's crazy and whaky because of 'x' thing on costume." Sometimes character designs that are mundane or natural looking are best.

Edit: And how do those examples not communicate their background or profession?

They all look rather distinguished and like they have lived a little, I like it.

Well, they are historically accurate. Why include minorities in this game? Lol...

Disclaimer: I am a minority irl.

Well that isn't really historically accurate to not include minorities in London during the 1800's especially if it goes to port areas such as Canning Town. Documentation of minorities in the British isles goes back to the Romans, during the 19th century in London you would have wealthy students and migrants from across the world as well as displaced soldiers and seamen due to the Nepolianic wars. In Britain the larger movement of people of different nationalities really started to happen on mass from the 1500's though it was primarily only around port cities such as Liverpool.

The actual faces don't do much for me, but I love their outfits. Slick look. As much as the actual people wearing the clothes don't do much for me, I do appreciate the "weathered" look. Less 10/10 supermodels, more depth please.

What? Some of the AC character designs are iconic. Ezio is instantly recognisable to anybody with a passing knowledge in videogames. No idea how anyone could claim that they're 'generic'.

One uniform. One. That's it. The rest are just rehashes for every damn character. I mean I get that is their uniform... but still.

Shin-Ra

So they fixed the thumb poking through the thermite rifle when examining it in the Gamescom trailer!

FranXico

They did a very good job with respect to art direction, for sure.
What I am not so sure, though, is that the character design is all that impressive.
These characters fit well into the world, but other than that, it's no more than a fairly competent character design (so far).

It probably would be best to leave this discussion for after the game is released?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
One uniform. One. That's it. The rest are just rehashes for every damn character. I mean I get that is their uniform... but still.

Okay, well, I completely disagree. The hood and split robe is a motif, of course it's going to be repeated. Altair's costume is also fairly iconic. Not sure how anyone could think that the leather armour of Kenway is a 'rehash' of the white robes of Altair and Ezio though.

Besides which, the robes in AC games looking similar to each other, and their being generic, are two completely different things.

Top Bottom