• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The cheap S-IPS 27" 2560 x 1440 Korean monitor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

Jesus I can't believe the difference. I knew my old monitor wasn't great, but I didn't realize just how shitty it looked. I don't even know if I'll use any of the config files floating around out there, or if I'll just leave it be.

Plus, I have discovered that my desk is quite small.
Hah yeah I got mine yesterday and my desk just isn't suitable for it.

Mine seemed pretty good, no dead pixels but a bit of backlight bleed in the top two corners. It's not too noticable mind you. Only minor annoyance was as expected, the brightness of the backlight cannot be controlled still.

PFD

Only minor annoyance was as expected, the brightness of the backlight cannot be controlled still.

Which one did you get? I can adjust the brightness and sound (lol) of my X-star by holding down the corresponding buttons on the monitor.

So whats the Better one for gaming and 120Hz? There are just so many different models and prices now :S And what ebay shop should I buy from?

120Hz isn't guaranteed with these monitors. Each one overclocks differently, check out this thread if you're looking for 120Hz monitors.

They're still amazing for gaming. The absence of a scaler results in very low latency, and my monitor overclocked to 99Hz easily.

Zafir

Which one did you get? I can adjust the brightness and sound (lol) of my X-star by holding down the corresponding buttons on the monitor.
Achieva Shimian QH2700 IPSMS Lite Edge. It's been an issue for a while with the model from what I've read. The Brightness option in the OSD is just colour brightness, not backlight brightness. Nor is there any other buttons on the monitor for brightness.

ameratsu

My x-star has been delivered! Only $27 in custom fees/taxes here in Canada too.

Can't wait to get home and try it out.

I want to pull the trigger on one of these, but I really can't decide between the Shimian QH2700 and the QNIX QX2710. Both have great reviews and any downsides really cancel each other out. Blarg!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Jesus I can't believe the difference. I knew my old monitor wasn't great, but I didn't realize just how shitty it looked. I don't even know if I'll use any of the config files floating around out there, or if I'll just leave it be.

Plus, I have discovered that my desk is quite small.

congrats!

ameratsu

so I've had the chance to try out my x-star from dreamseller and it's pretty damn fantastic. At least compared to my 6 year old 22 inch tn-panel LG.

I don't see any dead pixels, and only minor backlight bleed. I am really impressed with how it looks, but are there tests or something to confirm this? I got it up to 80hz, but i'm not clear on the benefit of overclocking refresh rate.

OnlyOneCanoli

Neo Member
Just received my QNIX QX2710 True10 monitor, but unfortunately they forgot to include the Korean to N America plug adapter. Can anybody recommend a good adapter? Preferably from an online store as I'm out in the middle of nowhere, Newfoundland.

Zafir

Just received my QNIX QX2710 True10 monitor, but unfortunately they forgot to include the Korean to N America plug adapter. Can anybody recommend a good adapter? Preferably from an online store as I'm out in the middle of nowhere, Newfoundland.
Does it not just use a generic monitor power cable(also called a kettle cable in the UK not sure about other countries)?

Edit: Image of the UK ver of the cable, but you can see the C13 connector - https://www.videk.co.uk/shopimages/sections/normal/2098.jpg

Zafir

Nah, these monitors have power bricks that have a DC connector on them to plug into the monitor.

Which vendor did you order from, Canoli?
Well, yes I know, but you can usually unplug the cable from the power brick to the wall and swap it out for the said plug which is better than using an adapter. Sucks if you can't though.

OnlyOneCanoli

Neo Member
Well, yes I know, but you can usually unplug the cable from the power brick to the wall and swap it out for the said plug which is better than using an adapter. Sucks if you can't though.

It does come with a power brick with a similar configuration to the photo Zafir linked to, only with a male Korean plug instead of a UK one. Would I be able to just swap the Korean cable out with a generic North American one? (This or similar?)

The vendor was accessorieswhole on ebay.

ameratsu

For my x-star dp2710led, you can plug a standard monitor/computer power cable into the brick, in place of the korean market power cable. Looks like this with the power cable removed:

lNkvGZd.jpg

It does come with a power brick with a similar configuration to the photo Zafir linked to, only with a male Korean plug instead of a UK one. Would I be able to just swap the Korean cable out with a generic North American one? (This or similar?)

Yeah, you should be able to then. I also ordered from accessorieswhole. May I ask how long it took to arrive/if they emailed when it shipped? I ordered late last night, and haven't received any confirmation from them yet.

Interested in hearing how it looks, too. :)

Zafir

Yup, exactly. That's what I did with my monitor.

OnlyOneCanoli

Neo Member
Thanks folks. I managed to find a spare cable and it powers up fine.

Unfortunately I'm having some issues getting it to work in 1440p with my MBP (mini Dport to Dport cable, no adapter). I get an image for a split second before returning to black. This happens repeatedly. MBP is behaving as if I have a second monitor (cursor extends to other display, etc.).

However, it displays 1080p just fine using my mini Dport to HDMI cable (same brand).

Any ideas out there for quick trouble shooting before I start going about getting a new Dport cable? I got this monitor mainly for my new gaming rig, but was hoping my wife could get 1440p on her MBP.

pirate - It took 7 calendar days to get here, impressive considering I'm out in the middle of nowhere Newfoundland during winter. It looks sharp with the HDMI cable, but I'm withholding final judgement until I (hopefully) get the 1440p up and running.

Unfortunately I'm having some issues getting it to work in 1440p with my MBP (mini Dport to Dport cable, no adapter). I get an image for a split second before returning to black. This happens repeatedly. MBP is behaving as if I have a second monitor (cursor extends to other display, etc.).

However, it displays 1080p just fine using my mini Dport to HDMI cable (same brand).

Any ideas out there for quick trouble shooting before I start going about getting a new Dport cable? I got this monitor mainly for my new gaming rig, but was hoping my wife could get 1440p on her MBP.

pirate - It took 7 calendar days to get here, impressive considering I'm out in the middle of nowhere Newfoundland during winter. It looks sharp with the HDMI cable, but I'm withholding final judgement until I (hopefully) get the 1440p up and running.

I know that many of them require DVI-D for 1440p. Maybe the other ports only do 1080p max?

Thanks for the shipping. I assume they did send an email with tracking number once it shipped from them?

PFD

Does your monitor even support MBPs? Because mine doesn't

It is not possible to connect with laptop and all Apple computers including Macbook
q5i4kPx.png

Thanks for the shipping. I assume they did send an email with tracking number once it shipped from them?

Yeah, I got a tracking number. I bought mine on Friday, and it arrived at Montreal on Tuesday (2 days earlier than the tracking had indicated.)

OnlyOneCanoli

Neo Member
Does your monitor even support MBPs? Because mine doesn't

It's a bit muddy. Many DVI-D displays I looked to explicitly say MacBooks are not supported. I purposely got the multi input version of the display because they are more likely to be compatible. I cross checked early 2011 MBP's for this monitor's compatibility in various forum posts, and they seemed to have good results. That being said, the page for display simply says "Macbook, Laptops and On-Board graphics cards could NOT be compatible." So it was never a sure fire bet. I'll order another cable and hope for the best.

Water

It's a bit muddy. Many DVI-D displays I looked to explicitly say MacBooks are not supported. I purposely got the multi input version of the display because they are more likely to be compatible. I cross checked early 2011 MBP's for this monitor's compatibility in various forum posts, and they seemed to have good results. That being said, the page for display simply says "Macbook, Laptops and On-Board graphics cards could NOT be compatible." So it was never a sure fire bet. I'll order another cable and hope for the best.
It's pretty weird that these displays would be specifically incompatible with certain machines. If it's an integral feature of the display, ewww.

Have you eliminated the display and the cable as the cause - can you get 1440p via Displayport with your desktop machine? If you can't, sounds like a faulty unit.

I could understand them warning people for "incompatibility" on a DVI-only display because getting a Macbook to work with it at 1440p would take a $99 dual-link adapter, which many people wouldn't know to get.

The ones without the AD board (or whatever it's called) that only have the dual DVI connector are not supposed to work with anything that doesn't have its own dual DVI connector. The monitors with the board (which are slightly pricier) will, however, work with converters. The Asus I wound up getting (has the same PLS panel) works fine with a dual DVI -> Mini DisplayPort.

tokkun

I got one of the DVI-only monitors working with a Macbook Air, but it required using the $100 dual-link DVI adapter. Even then, the display resolution was not automatically recognized, so I had to use a third party application that let me enter custom display parameters to set the resolution and timing.

Sorry that I don't have more specific details, but this was a year and a half ago, and I no longer have the MBA.

So the QNIX in general is awesome, though I ordered another single input one, as the True10 doesn't OC well at all. I was dropping frames at 75hz. I've been on an IPS so long that 60hz in general isn't an issue for me, so this will make a good second monitor to the other QNIX I am getting, which should hopefully OC better.

browndoom

Since these displays don't have upscalling, in which situations do they fail? What happens when you have to enter the BIOS or boot in to safe mode? Do you just get the image centered with black bars?

MrBig

Since these displays don't have upscalling, in which situations do they fail? What happens when you have to enter the BIOS or boot in to safe mode? Do you just get the image centered with black bars?

If GPU scaling doesn't kick in the image will be mapped to actual pixels, eg a 1280x720 input would take up that many pixels in the center of the screen. In my experience with UEFI (haven't used a BIOS with mine) it scaled to fill the whole screen. Windows safe mode still loads the GPU drivers.

Yeah, crazy how LG/Samsung have totally owned the former Japanese powerhouses--Sony, Sharp, Panasonic in the CE space.

Even OEMs use Korean tech, such as Apple for their displays.

Yeah it's been fascinating. The digital age ushered in the Korean giants. I guess Sony started losing ground once their trinitron CRT's became irrelevant

2AdEPT

I agree that I can not go back to TN after seeing the glory of IPS/PLS and 1440p. I have an older qnix 2700 which has the mandatory Dual-d link set up....and it now sucks because I just started recording in 1080 with my avermedia pci-card and can not use a converter to get the self PC set up...Ironically the console set up works great...Demon's Souls never looked better on my 1440P and dark Souls 2 was liveable...but when PC version comes out I will get a new one and I will have to make sure that it has the AD board that allows for HDMI conversion.....jury is still out whether this will allow true 1440 though or will it just be 1080?

Anyone from Canada order one of these things? Interested in what sort of fees and taxes I'm going to get hit with at the border. Also interested in which sellers would be best to deal with. I think I've settled on the matte version of the QNIX QX2710.

Edit: Oh, apparently the X-STAR DP2710LED is the exact same thing.

ameratsu

Anyone from Canada order one of these things? Interested in what sort of fees and taxes I'm going to get hit with at the border. Also interested in which sellers would be best to deal with. I think I've settled on the matte version of the QNIX QX2710.

I bought a x-star dp2710led from dreamseller. I paid around $35 when it arrived via fedex, though a Canadian on the last page paid more than that.

rsam87

Anecdotally the friends that I've had that bought the non-pixel perfect have gotten good monitors out of it.

I opted for a pixel perfect myself.

I think if you go with a reputable seller and a well known monitor the likelihood of you getting a total trash monitor with the non-pixel perfect is slim.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about this some more, maybe 2x1080p monitors would be better for productivity? I really want to upgrade from my shitty Samsung EX2220 to something better but I also want to improve my workflow.

2AdEPT

that is a bypass board type...just realize you will have to dedicate a DVI-D hook-up adn not be able to use HDMI conversion.

I'm giving away my QNIX to my son so I can use the ad board type with my avermedia PCI hook up....will be recording Dark Souls 2 in 1080P cant wait!....I just ordered from this site direct, rather than e-bay:
http://www.2560x1440monitor.com/index.php?route=product/compare

I forgot to ask the seller to downgrade the cost on the packaging to ~or<$200 to avoid duty....the last one I got I paid no duty because they did this...prices are in USD though for Canada so add the exchange rate.

MBison

Im thinking about ordering one of these. Can someone link me to the best 30" model? Also I know there's DVi-D requirements. I have a sapphire ati 7970, I assume that is good enough? Anyone using that card?

Thanks for the help and the link!

VoxPop

In the market for a new monitor (or two). I was looking at either the Ultrasharps or a Thunderbolt monitor. How do these Korean monitors compare to those two in quality and price?

PFD

In the market for a new monitor (or two). I was looking at either the Ultrasharps or a Thunderbolt monitor. How do these Korean monitors compare to those two in quality and price?

You get the same display quality, for much cheaper. However, they don't have any of the extra features found in Ultrasharps like USB slots, card reader, various input methods, etc. I personally don't care about any of that, so for me getting a 27" 1440p display for $279 was a no brainer.

Monitor arrived today. Pretty impressed! Have to get used to the size, though, it feels massive. No stuck pixels or backlight bleeding as far as I can tell, but I'll test that out more thoroughly when it's darker. The only issue I have is the bottom part of the front bezel doesn't sit flush with the panel. I wouldn't even have noticed if I didn't feel it flex inward when I was moving it. Any way to fix it that doesn't involve taking the thing apart? Was thinking of sticking some electrical tape in the gap and hoping that would seal it up.

ameratsu

Monitor arrived today. Pretty impressed! Have to get used to the size, though, it feels massive. No stuck pixels or backlight bleeding as far as I can tell, but I'll test that out more thoroughly when it's darker. The only issue I have is the bottom part of the front bezel doesn't sit flush with the panel. I wouldn't even have noticed if I didn't feel it flex inward when I was moving it. Any way to fix it that doesn't involve taking the thing apart? Was thinking of sticking some electrical tape in the gap and hoping that would seal it up.

How much did you end up paying when it arrived?

Spartacus

I'm really into getting one of those screens. Have any of you had any experience with shops that ship to Europe (Netherlands). How are the shipping costs? how long did it take? what about warranty in case there is something wrong? etc.

I would hate to get a defect screen and having to send it back with massive shipping costs.

Are there any shops anyone would recommend?

Zafir

I'm really into getting one of those screens. Have any of you had any experience with shops that ship to Europe (Netherlands). How are the shipping costs? how long did it take? what about warranty in case there is something wrong? etc.

I would hate to get a defect screen and having to send it back with massive shipping costs.

Are there any shops anyone would recommend?
I ordered mine off eBay (bigclothcraft or something was the seller name)? Didn't pay anything for shipping as it was free, and they used DHL. Shipped on the Friday and arrived in the UK on the Monday. Went onto DHLs website and paid customs the charge before it had even got into the UK so there was no hold up when delivering, had to pay £18 but that was a lot cheaper than it should have been because they marked it down. It apparently had a year's warranty but I've not had any issues so far, touch wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom