• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Conduit Discussion Thread (Videos + Other Media)

pakkit

Banned
jett said:
The Metroid Prime games are orders of magnitude better looking than this thing.
Artistically, I agree. Metroid Prime series and Bioshock are the only two FPSes that spring to mind when I think of "pretty." Technology-wise, and looking at the developer, I'd say it's pretty impressive what they've accomplished on Wii's platform.

Linkhero1 said:
The AI bugs me the most out of everything. =/
I don't understand why people keep saying that. You can see in the latest videos that they are flanking you, taking cover, and using melee attacks when in close. It's nothing to write home about, but it's certainly a step up from, say, every other Wii console FPS. I hope that bumping up the difficulty will make enemies drop in more than, say, 3 bullets. Then again, the airport IS the first level of the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jett said:
The Metroid Prime games are orders of magnitude better looking than this thing.

Yeah, and artistically Retro and the Prime series are leagues beyond a vast majority of games across all genres.

Comparing to Retro is an unfair example. Their art direction and design is second to none.

Zachack

Bluemercury said:
really???what fps is non-generic then??i would really love to know.....
I could list-war your brains out but given your lack of capitalization, spacing, and meaningless use of the word "generic" I don't see why I should bother, since you'll no doubt come up with any number of excuses.

Zachack

dark10x said:
What do you consider generic?
Looking over his post history he seems to have that disease some GAF posters share where they think UE3 is some sort of instant-ugly button (even if they make exceptions for stuff like Mirror's Edge). Also, I found this gem:
Those third parties should read atlas shrugged.......instead of whining they should just be competent.....
So... yeah.

Zachack

Starchasing said:
the sound may be just because of a bad recording
True, off-screen camera vids often dampen sound while at the same time smoothing over terrible visual flaws.
bluemercury said:
Most fps shooters this gen....
So what about "first person shooter shooters" this gen do you specifically find generic? Could you give examples of titles that you played that never have any compelling or unique visual design?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Here's an idea; lets not turn this into another 'generic' FPS-VS-ORIGINALITY debate that seems to plague every The Conduit thread I visit on every single fucking forum.

You act like if im saying something obscene. Im just saying this doesnt look less or more generic than say, resistance for example, a bunch of soldiers and aliens.....its cliche but i dont see other being much more original.....

Linkhero1

pakkit said:
I don't understand why people keep saying that. You can see in the latest videos that they are flanking you, taking cover, and using melee attacks when in close. It's nothing to write home about, but it's certainly a step up from, say, every other Wii console FPS. I hope that bumping up the difficulty will make enemies drop in more than, say, 3 bullets. Then again, the airport IS the first level of the game.

sevenchaos said:
The game is probably being played on an easier difficulty so all sorts of people can get through the demo.

I think it may be due to the difficulty that the game is being played, but it looked like they were just standing there taking hits from you like they wanted to end their miserable life. I'm not trying to hate on the game or anything.

Linkhero1 said:
I think it may be due to the difficulty that the game is being played, but it looked like they were just standing there taking hits from you like they wanted to end their miserable life. I'm not trying to hate on the game or anything.
They were and they have been pretty much every time we've seen the game. I'm hoping the final product has competent enemies. I've certainly convinced myself it will as I want this game to be good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bluemercury said:
Most fps shooters this gen....
That's just not true, though. Your definition of generic is way off base. You're simply using generic as an insult to describe things you dislike.

There are so many beautiful and unique looking shooters available this gen. Now more than ever.

markatisu

Have they mentioned if you can customize the enemy AI?

You can customize every single other thing with their engine it seems

MNC

TheEastonator said:
Looks good aside from repetitive death animations and the info messages (i.e. "ammo at maximum") staying on the screen for way too long.
He kills about 5 enemies, scoped, with quite some time between them and the hud messages are still on screen :lol

It looks very good, but why are the spies (lolspies) so shiny :/ Don't cubemap(or whatever :3) everything!

pakkit

Banned
dark10x said:
There are so many beautiful and unique looking shooters available this gen. Now more than ever.

I agree with him to a point. I feel like the US market is quickly becoming over-saturated with shooters, and, what's more, many of them have the same feel. Most shooters are grim, militaristic, and lack color. I don't mean simply shades of color; take a look at No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 last gen. Two games that, while violent, were hilarious and mocked the very conventions it played within. You also had Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, a brilliant game with a unique locale and excellent 3rd-person first-person hybrids. Then, of course, you have Half-Life 2 last gen, which revolutionized the first-person genre through the unique gravity gun. You had the first Metroid Prime, which was an amazing step forward for first-person shooters, and brought a lot of atmosphere and puzzle solving to the genre.

This generation we have Bioshock, Condemned, Mirror's Edge and Portal. I found Condemned's melee based gameplay really unique and an excellent way to ramp up the scares. Halo is a great multiplayer experience, but it's the namebrand and quality, not it's unique elements, that differentiate itself from the market. People keep saying that if the Conduit was on another console no one would care, and I'm inclined to agree with them. I'm interested in this game for the controls and customizability, but I've come to find the first-person genre increasingly difficult to rile me up.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bluemercury said:
You act like if im saying something obscene. Im just saying this doesnt look less or more generic than say, resistance for example, a bunch of soldiers and aliens.....its cliche but i dont see other being much more original.....
So you really think this...

0000196031.jpg

...actually looks no better/different than these...

awesome.jpg

941949_20090112_screen006.jpg

Insane1-1-1.jpg

931329_20070820_screen001.jpg

944521_20081105_screen016-1.jpg

437678_20070706_screen003.jpg

928517_20070827_screen057.jpg

??

There is nothing "generic" about those games. Can you even provide counter examples of FPS titles from previous generations that were "less generic"?

I agree with him to a point. I feel like the US market is quickly becoming over-saturated with shooters, and, what's more, many of them have the same feel. Most shooters are grim, militaristic, and lack color.
That doesn't mean they are "generic". Focusing on a darker color palette does not make solid art direction any less interesting. Many of the best looking games last generation focused on such color design.

I wouldn't say that FPS' this gen all look alike. What I WOULD say is that there is such a glut of them, some of them just run together. Haze struck me as generic as there was nothing at all that made it stick out, for example. Throw in games like Timeshift, The Darkness, and the glut of WW2 FPS' and even the good ones are going to look run of the mill. I would say WaW is a good example of this; while I don't have any concrete evidence I would say the setting has surely hurt it.

Linkhero1 said:

I do think that it may have to do with difficulty settings. When I played the build last E3, enemies were constantly flanking me and taking cover behind me. And it was pretty tough in general.

Linkhero1

Bloodworth said:
I do think that it may have to do with difficulty settings. When I played the build last E3, enemies were constantly flanking me and taking cover behind me. And it was pretty tough in general.
That's good to hear. I look forward to playing this.

Cipherr

dark10x said:
So you really think this...
'

Why would you do that. Your not one of those empty headed KZ2 maniacs, stop acting like it. Take it to PM's ladies. Spamming screen shots in this thread from random other games is just annoying.

Meesh

Drop-kick me jezuz, why debate over generic FPS's? Who cares if it is, or isn't, when it looks gore-juice and the play tests have been fantastic. (from what I've been reading)

The gauntlets are off, this is the new graphical and control(FPS) benchmark on Wii right now. I was skeptical, but the more I hear, the more I have to have this game.

Where do I sign up for the Conduit defense force?

Vinci

Danish
Evilink said:
Drop-kick me jezuz, why debate over generic FPS's? Who cares if it is, or isn't, when it looks gore-juice and the play tests have been fantastic. (from what I've been reading)

Because people like debating. Of course they're not really debating. Some folks are knocking down a game that other people are interested in, and those other people are bitching back with ridiculous arguments.

If the game is good, it deserves its sales. Just like Mirror's Edge and all the other games Dark posted deserved them. [Sadly, ME didn't get nearly enough of them.]

EatChildren

Linkzg said:
http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6206890/the-conduit-interview?hd=1

Walkthrough of the first level (different than the gametrailer stuff) It looks better here than in the Gametrailers videos, but I think part of that is because this video is more blurry compared to the those ones. Game is looking alright and I appreciate that enemies aren't taking bullets by the pound before they're down.

They still haven't got the ASE projection light 'right'. At this point I figure they either haven't noticed, like it this way, or the engine needs a new line of code to get it right and they cant be arsed.

I also wish they could simulate some form of AF, because I really fucking hate seeing ground texture detail load layered chunks.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
EatChildren said:
I also wish they could simulate some form of AF, because I really fucking hate seeing ground texture detail load layered chunks.
hollywood has 4x AF, iirc.

MarkusRJR

Thank god that they finally toned down that "muzzle flash" on the strike rifle. But yeah, I can't wait for some decent FPS action on the Wii. One thing that's bugging me is the fact that there appears to be a shaky cursor (ala Lost Winds or the Mii Channel). They better fix that, as a shaky cursor can really fuck you up (especially if it's in a first person shooter).

pakkit

Banned
At the very end of the Gamespot playdemo, there is a screen right that fades in right before it cuts out. I captured it and messed around with the effects until it was a little more readable.

conduitscreencap.jpg

It says: Mission Completed

You have earned one Achievement. Look for it under the Unlockables Section of the Extras Menu.

I'm not sure if they've announced achievements, but this confirms it.

Also of interest, at the bottom of the screen it prompts for a Z-button press to view player stats, so hopefully HVS is keeping using comprehensive stat-tracking not only in multi-player, but in single-player as well.

pakkit

Banned
The more muted alien machine gun flash is awesome. It's great to know that HVS is actually watching the boards. All the videos and builds we've seen add to the hype train, since you can tell that they're taking all of our criticisms in to account. Even the art, the most attacked part of the Conduit, has seen improvements since it was first revealed, and hopefully, as you visit more alien places, you'll see more "out-there" art work.

ultim8p00

Banned
pakkit said:
At the very end of the Gamespot playdemo, there is a screen right that fades in right before it cuts out. I captured it and messed around with the effects until it was a little more readable.

conduitscreencap.jpg

It says: Mission Completed

You have earned one Achievement. Look for it under the Unlockables Section of the Extras Menu.

I'm not sure if they've announced achievements, but this confirms it.

Also of interest, at the bottom of the screen it prompts for a Z-button press to view player stats, so hopefully HVS is keeping using comprehensive stat-tracking not only in multi-player, but in single-player as well.

This really is the true sequel to Perfect Dark. And it's on the Wii. What a coincidence.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm hopeful about the final product, but quality notwithstanding, The Conduit very much seems like a labor of love. I can think of worse circumstances to see a project through conception and fruition.

Meesh

pakkit said:
The more muted alien machine gun flash is awesome. It's great to know that HVS is actually watching the boards. All the videos and builds we've seen add to the hype train, since you can tell that they're taking all of our criticisms in to account. Even the art, the most attacked part of the Conduit, has seen improvements since it was first revealed, and hopefully, as you visit more alien places, you'll see more "out-there" art work.

That was probably my biggest complaint...a lot of it felt ripped off of other FPSs...but what the hey, I just wanna play the damn thing already!!!

EatChildren

Foil said:
That's an insult to the original PD. Some of you guys are nuts.

Yeah seriously, what the fuck? The comparison between this and Perfect Dark is so...odd. The only similarities I can see are a) its a shooter, b) it's set in the future, c) it's got aliens, d) you use alien and human weaponry, and e) you play as a secret service agent.

Otherwise...how does this even look to play like Perfect Dark? It's evidently far faster and more run-and-gun than Perfect Dark ever was. Weapon mechanics and damage ratios look nothing like Perfect Dark. There's only one known 'device' in the game. There's no stealth. Weapons look more explosive/plasma like than Perfect Dark. And so on, and so forth.

The whole stat thing gets me; how does this mean it is a successor to Perfect Dark? We don't know the extents of the stats, and this was a shot from singleplayer. We dont know ANYTHING about stat tracking in multiplayer. On top of that, Perfect Dark had MUCH more going for it's multiplayer than simple stat tracking, and nothing we've seen of The Conduit looks close to that kind of detail.

It's nice people are looking forward to The Conduit, but the comparison to Perfect Dark makes no sense what-so-ever.

Probably because PD was the last FPS that "pushed" the specs of a Nintendo console? I know PD came to mind when somebody earlier in the thread mentioned the fear that pushing the graphics too hard might cause the framerate to suffer.

Oh, and customization (which is one of PD's strengths) seems to be prevalent in The Conduit too...

MNC

I think also in terms of superduper extra's; Player Tracking, Achievements, Extra's, Online Multiplayer (PD was really fleshed out)

Top Bottom