• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Conduit Discussion Thread (Videos + Other Media)

donny2112

VideoMan said:
515lw5uTs8L.jpg

1 million (including the eventual Player's Choice) in the U.S. before its done. :D

Davey Cakes

Box art complaining is so funny.

Honestly, we all have an idea of what a good box art is. There's no box art in the world that would satisfy everybody's particular standards...

...Except for Mario Galaxy.

But still, just let it go. The Conduit's box is fine. Hell, if anything, it's above average. So many box arts are just bland and crappy these days. This one is not.

I like the placement of the second barrel :lol . What's supposed to come out there?

Other than that I somehow like it - looks retro and modern at the same time.

Akai

Phife Dawg said:
I like the placement of the second barrel :lol . What's supposed to come out there?

Laser sight?

I really like the box art...It has that cheesy B-sci-fi feel to it...

GDGF

Soothsayer
I like it because it looks like a comic book cover from the 90's. Extreme can be good in small doses :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Viral marketing has begun for The Conduit. Start here;

www.seeing-is-deceiving.com

Website seems pretty bugged, sometimes not loading properly and other times redirecting to SEGA's The Conduit profile page.

Seems to be a collection of clues as to the nature of the story, the premise, and other features.

This thread on IGN has some clues revealed through digging, such as;

- "XLII", which is 42 in Roman numerals, and the fabled 'meaning of life'.
- "Investigate Fertile Crescent"
- Novus Orde Seclorum
- I have seen the Fnords!
- "Colares was more successful than Roswell"

Even if the story itself isn't all that fleshed out, HVS are doing a good job of making the premise pretty interesting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AceBandage said:
Seems the ASE has some attack abilities (he used it on the giant alien).

If I recall correctly there's a screenshot of that alien in that room and it's cloaked, so I figure it's some form of boss / mini-boss, where the ASE is required to reveal it and possible inflict extra damage.

markatisu

I love that box art, reminds me very much of the mid 90's comics

Also I think since its sci-fi based it might sell better than the barrage of WWII shooters that plague the Wii

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
hopefully the viral sites will show some new gameplay... the little teaser at the beginning was fun.

Scrubking

Conduit multiplayer blowout on the 15th

On April 15th we’re going to have a big multiplayer event with Sega (The Conduit's publisher). A press event extravaganza to basically call everybody into the room and say: “O.k. You’ve all been wanting to see multiplayer play, multiplayer etc., here it is”. That will all happen on the 15th. We’re not planning on hiding anything.

http://hdwarriors.com/index.php/wii...tiplayer-all-will-be-revealed-april-15th.html

markatisu

Wow, High Voltage must be trying to be the new Factor 5 but with good controls

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/694618/The-Conduit-Single-Player-Preview.html

In the end, The Conduit shows a ton of potential. It could finally be the Wii shooter we'd all hoped to get when the console was unveiled some three and a half years ago. If the controls work as well as it looks like they do, it could provide an experience that allows gamers to really feel like they're aiming a gun at alien creatures, rather than just waggling, locking on, and waggling some more. My only fear with the controls is that with the endless amount of customization, players will have trouble finding their sweet spot when it may have been better for the developers to limit selections to a few predetermined optimum builds.

In addition, the folks at High Voltage have put some effort into creating an interesting sci-fi world that at least has a chance of making the player care about the story and characters. The Drudge and their allies seem like a formidable set of enemies, and guns at Michael Ford's disposal seem varied and interesting. The environments themselves were a well crafted, and the graphics are among the very best seen on the Wii to date.

Much of The Conduit's lasting appeal will come down to if High Voltage can pull off the promised 16 player online multiplayer and find good work-arounds to Nintendo's awful friend code system and historically laggy network connections. However, the single-player campaign at least looks deep and promising enough to stand on its own, so hopefully The Conduit can lead a hardcore gaming charge on the casual motion controlled system.

Finally, one last note of interest to Nintendo fanboys: At the end of the demo, I asked Matt Corso if they had pushed the Wii as far as it could go. His response: "This is just the tip of the iceberg, there are new graphical technologies we've already developed that came along too late to include in The Conduit."

EatChildren

markatisu said:
Wow, High Voltage must be trying to be the new Factor 5 but with good controls

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/694618/The-Conduit-Single-Player-Preview.html

I remember ages ago HVS claimed that The Conduit was pushing the Wii as far as it can go, in terms of rendering effects and what-not. I figured this would happen; they'd work out some more tricks as development progressed.

Just look at the jump from Rogue Leader to Rebel Strike. The former was amazing, even by today's standards, but the latter then looked noticably better.

I'm looking forward to the multiplayer bash. I'm eager to see how much content is there.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
JDSN said:
The most ironic this is this probably the tenth time they have said "Wii finally gets a hardcore game!"
It happens every time the Wii gets one.

Tenchu - FINALLY A WII HARDCORE GAME
House of the Dead - FINALLY A WII HARDCORE GAME
madworld - FINALLY A WII HARDCORE GAME

Davey Cakes

That's what happens when people are too focused one whether or not a game is hardcore.

How about we starting caring a little less about "casual vs. hardcore" and a little more about whether or not the game is fun, eh?

pakkit

Banned
Rash said:
How about we starting caring a little less about "casual vs. hardcore" and a little more about whether or not the game is fun, eh?
Quiet, you. Quit trying to bring sensibility into a NeoGAF thread.

Scrubking

Rash said:
That's what happens when people are too focused one whether or not a game is hardcore or not.

I'm still trying to figure out what "hardcore" means. I mean the media uses the word in almost every single article especially where the Wii is concerned so I'd like to know what such a highly used word actually means. Funny thing is no one seems to know. So why is the word used so much then?

joetachi

Scrubking said:
I'm still trying to figure out what "hardcore" means. I mean the media uses the word in almost every single article especially where the Wii is concerned so I'd like to know what such a highly used word actually means. Funny thing is no one seems to know. So why is the word used so much then?
Yeah and if you count last gen it only meant games with violence now it sort of went to meaning AAA games.

Davey Cakes

joetachi said:
Yeah and if you count last gen it only meant games with violence now it sort of went to meaning AAA games.
It's retarded. The plague of gaming is when people need a game to be "hardcore" in order to have fun, rather than the game just being fun by nature.

It was okay to have "casual vs. hardcore" when those divisions were used loosely, that is, to differentiate an epic RPG to a flash game on a computer. But now, the meaning of "hardcore vs. casual" is all over the place, and is getting ridiculous. I wish we could all just put the differentiation to rest, especially since the Wii itself, with a focus on "bridge games" is trying to bring things back to the NES days, when games were just games.

Scrubking

Rash said:
I wish we could all just put the differentiation to rest, especially since the Wii itself, with a focus on "bridge games" is trying to bring things back to the NES days, when games were just games.

The videogame industry, including the media, will never let that happen.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Scrubking said:
The videogame industry, including the media, will never let that happen.

One good thing about the Wii's effect in all of this is that it has exposed the worst of the industry.

The bad part to that is that it's revealed that this industry runs almost completely on idiocy, ignorance, pride, and selfishness rather than skill and common (business) sense.

Getting back on track : I'm really interested in this now, much, much more than I was last year.

Davey Cakes

The Conduit looks more "pure fun" than any FPS I've played in years. The controls alone get me excited for it.

Now every time I see someone playing a dual-analog game, I laugh at how ridiculously unnatural is looks in comparison to the fluidity we've seen in The Conduit's gameplay videos.

Model 500

Scrubking said:

They (and Gaf for that matter) seem to use it for games that have violence and blood, even better is the use of the word "mature" for FPS games and the like :lol

Mashing

Akai said:
Ooooh, I approve of artbooks as pre-order bonuses! (The other two things seem kind of piddly, really, but who cares? ARTBOOK!)

Considering the art is pretty god-awful (okay, that may be too strong a word--generic would be more politically correct), I'm not sure why you are excited about an art book. Otherwise, I'd agree with you, art books are generally what I look for most in CE's.

Scrubking

So the LE has in game differences? That sucks. They better offer that stuff as an unlockable or free download or something. I already preordered through Amazon!

Meesh

At the end of the demo, I asked Matt Corso if they had pushed the Wii as far as it could go. His response: "This is just the tip of the iceberg, there are new graphical technologies we've already developed that came along too late to include in The Conduit."

No doubt referring to cube maps.

On a less backhanded note, that box art is so cheesy...almost makes for a good retro t-shirt.

pakkit

Banned
Scrubking said:
So the LE has in game differences? That sucks. They better offer that stuff as an unlockable or free download or something. I already preordered through Amazon!
It's just a skin change.

Shins

Banned
Mashing said:
Considering the art is pretty god-awful (okay, that may be too strong a word--generic would be more politically correct), I'm not sure why you are excited about an art book. Otherwise, I'd agree with you, art books are generally what I look for most in CE's.
it'll go well with my gallery of hotel art!

markatisu

donny2112 said:
Oooooh. Are there usually other kinds of limited edition exclusives or is GameStop often the only one doing these kind of preorder bonuses?

It depends, if its a Gamestop and Sega deal then we may also see a Sega and Best Buy deal (think how exclusives were done for GH Metallica where Gamestop got the foot pedal, Best Buy got tattoo sleeves and Gamecrazy got drum sticks)

Just depends on how much Sega wants to push it. The fact they are making a CE at all shows they expect a lot more than 45-100k in sales as it seems they were figuring Madworld and HoTD Overkill would achieve.

Top Bottom