• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Conduit Discussion Thread (Videos + Other Media)

Disguises

poppabk said:
Are these games using dedicated servers? I would have thought that the servers would be purely for the matchmaking part and then one of the players would be host.

CoD5 doesnt use dedicated servers, one of the players hosts.

Scrubking

pakkit said:
Activision's servers worked well. We have no idea how Nintendo's servers will hold up. Let's not get to laughing just yet. Still, the customizability and range of options known thus far is encouraging.

Not really. I had to stop playing WaW because the lag was just too bad. In any case I wasn't talking about servers but game features.

Gino

Multi player looks pretty sweet. Reminds me a lot of Goldeneye.

There's not anything like Goldeneye in the current FPS scenes so I'm happy with that.

Scrubking

Some info from Nintendo Power:

The latest build showcases a world that feels much more alive than earlier versions. You really get the impression that you're in the middle of a massive alien invasion; helicopters zoom by and are occassionaly shot down by the extraterrestrial aggressors while frantic news reports blare from the televisions on display in shop windows.

The enemy AI is another element that's been significantly tweaked since we last saw The Conduit, and to counter their wily ways you can now crouch behind objects to take cover.The firefights offer a bit more depth as a result, but don't expect anything too tactical.

The story definitely has a bit of an X-files vibe going for it.

You can get rid of the HUD entirely for a more cinematic presentation, and alternative indicators are built into the game so you're not flying blind. If Ford's health gets dangerously low, for instance, you'll hear him start to breathe heavily and your surroundings will start to lose their color.

Meesh

The latest build showcases a world that feels much more alive than earlier versions. You really get the impression that you're in the middle of a massive alien invasion; helicopters zoom by and are occassionaly shot down by the extraterrestrial aggressors while frantic news reports blare from the televisions on display in shop windows.
There goes that whole "environments are empty" complaint.
The enemy AI is another element that's been significantly tweaked since we last saw The Conduit, and to counter their wily ways you can now crouch behind objects to take cover.The firefights offer a bit more depth as a result, but don't expect anything too tactical.
heh, Not quite Gears of War, but I wasn't expecting that at all anyway. Still sounds challenging :)
The story definitely has a bit of an X-files vibe going for it.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, X-files was one of the greatest series ever, I'm hoping for plot twists and cover ups leaving us with plenty of WTF moments(probably asking too much)...speaking of which, I'm hooked on Abrams Fringe. Freak'n amazing.

markatisu

Official Release Date confirmed June 23 2009

http://www.*******.com/2009/04/16/the-conduit-channeled-into-retail-on-june-23/

Representatives for High Voltage Software and Sega have informed ******* that The Conduit will reach retail on June 23. There was some confusion this morning about The Conduit's development status, following a Eurogamer story indicating that Sega had "pushed ambitious Wii first-person shooter The Conduit back from spring to summer." This is technically accurate -- The Conduit was originally scheduled to release June 9 (spring), but will now release June 23, two days after summer begins.

High Voltage Software's Eric Nofsinger assured us that the game's development hadn't slipped at all, but that pushing the "Nintendo networking beyond its usual transfer of data and taking full use of the WiiSpeak" is "good for the game and gamer," even if it lengthens the time taken for testing and approval.

Scrubking

Also 13 modes, 9 maps and FC's required for Wii Speak confirmed.

http://www.destructoid.com/interview-high-voltage-on-the-conduit-s-multiplayer-128857.phtml

3445290019_1cee1233a9.jpg

scitek

Scrubking said:
FC's required for Wii Speak confirmed

:lol

Nintendo, your online system fucking sucks. Looks like I'm relegated to FFA only again. I don't know anyone with a Wii, and everytime I exchange friend codes with people online in hopes of playing with them at some point, it never ends up happening more than once or twice. Just fuck it already.

pakkit

Banned
People asked for voice chat, and they got it. The only problem with it is that its completely incongruous with Nintendo's online plans.

Destructoid said:
The GameSpy servers powering the 12 player multiplayer for The Conduit were down.
Huh? I thought Nintendo was hosting the servers?

pakkit said:
People asked for voice chat, and they got it. The only problem with it is that its completely incongruous with Nintendo's online plans.

Huh? I thought Nintendo was hosting the servers?

Nintendo's online service is done by Gamespy.

scitek

pakkit said:

Yeah, for the people that want to take the time to arrange matches everytime they feel like playing an actual Team game worth a shit, it's no problem. For those like me that don't really want to make playing videogames a chore, it fails on all levels.

scitek

What peeves me off is that this is it. This is probably the most fully-featured online experience the Wii will ever have because no other devs seem to really care to put in the effort. High Voltage knows people want a more Xbox Live-like experience, but they were prohibited from delivering that. It's just annoying knowing I'll never be able to play an online FPS with the Wii Remote that can truly compete with the Halos and HD Call of Duties in the online aspect.

markatisu

scitek said:
What peeves me off is that this is it. This is probably the most fully-featured online experience the Wii will ever have because no other devs seem to really care to put in the effort. High Voltage knows people want a more Xbox Live-like experience, but they were prohibited from delivering that. It's just annoying knowing I'll never be able to play an online FPS with the Wii Remote that can truly compete with the Halos and HD Call of Duties in the online aspect.

I would not say never, HV said in the interview this week that Nintendo underestimated the desire for online.

By the time Wii2 or WiiHD (Whatever the next revision is) I think we will see a bit more streamlined.

FC will never go away but there are easier ways to implement friend codes (like just 1 system code for all games aka gamertag) or auto add/option to add someone you just played into your list. As well as being able to say I do not want Parental Controls which would then open up complete access to online gameplay, etc.

pakkit

Banned
You could always hack your Wii remote to work with the PC games...

But, yeah, you're right. Hearing Reggie talk with Geoff about how Nintendo is always looking to Xbox Live to see how they can 1-up them as far as online infrastructure goes was the most ironic, depressing bit of Wii talk I'd heard in a while. Reggie, if you hap upon these pages, I can think of a 10 page list of ways Nintendo could better their online community, and even then you wouldn't be within spitting distance of Live. Wii offers a lot of unique opportunities, but the only uniqueness it offers through the internet is uniform mediocrity.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
scitek said:
I wouldn't be surprised that if the Wii gets the next Call of Duty it is as close to being fully featured as can be expected. The question with the conduit is why Sega didn't choose to provide their own servers, then they could do whatever they wanted. Does hosting matchmaking servers cost that much or does Nintendo have some way of forcing their online solution on 3rd parties?

scitek

markatisu said:
I would not say never, HV said in the interview this week that Nintendo underestimated the desire for online.

By the time Wii2 or WiiHD (Whatever the next revision is) I think we will see a bit more streamlined.

I shouldn't have said "never," but I meant in this generation. I don't want to wait years, and shouldn't have to when it could happen in June.

markatisu

scitek said:
I shouldn't have said "never," but I meant in this generation. I don't want to wait years, and shouldn't have to when it could happen in June.

Yeah I agree 100%, some of the changes that could be made are so stupidly easy but yet its like Nintendo just refuses to do so.

scitek

Well, not to mention that it only hurts High Voltage. This game isn't going to be bought primarily by kids, it's aimed at the same crowd that actually plays Halo, but has been waiting for a better experience with the pointer controls. As Call of Duty 4 has shown, really well-implemented online in an FPS can extend its shelf-life exponentially. There's no telling how many sales HVS could lose in the long run due to things being too frustrating for people to want to bother. I wish they had added LAN support, too.

markatisu

later said:
High voltage fucked up by using nintendo's servers.

They did not really have a choice, I do not think SEGA would have paid to have servers and they were not going to partner with EA to get access to EA Nation (or whatever the hell EA's mass online infrastructure is called).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
markatisu said:
They did not really have a choice, I do not think SEGA would have paid to have servers and they were not going to partner with EA to get access to EA Nation (or whatever the hell EA's mass online infrastructure is called).
I guess if the Conduit does well then the Conduit 2 might have its own servers. Honestly setting up matchmaking servers cannot be that expensive, its not like they are actually hosting the games, but I guess doing it for one game without any knowledge of how successful it might be would be a risk.

MWCShay

The last time I was playing COD online with my cousin there was someone on there calling Obama a monkey. Not to mention the thousands of times I get called n*gger on a daily basis on that thing.

I'm good with only being able to hear people that I know, having to hear idiots get on Live and talk out their asses or sing nonstop is getting to be to much.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I actually hate voice chat in first person shooters. I don't need to talk to the people I'm trying to kill and I only really like playing free for all. Not much of a team player I guess.

Not being called n*gger every five minutes is a plus as well! :lol

scitek

well, you guys have the option of muting everyone. i mute everyone in ffa because i don't like trash talk, but playing team modes without voice is fucking garbage.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Jocchan said:
Apparently, they wanted to add LAN support but Nintendo stopped them.

What's ironic is that, had Nintendo NOT prevented HVS from implementing LAN play, then there wouldn't have been a problem at the big multiplayer blowout the other day. They could have simply played the multiplayer over LAN rather than over the internet.

Davey Cakes

The interviews really make this game seem like a labor of love; something that the devs truly put their heart into. It wasn't just about creating a worthwhile FPS experience on Wii, but it was also about listening to feedback from fans.

It'll be very disappointing if this game ends up being a stinker. Though, from what I've seen, it at least looks fun.

Jocchan said:
Apparently, they wanted to add LAN support but Nintendo stopped them.
It really is strange. Nintendo had LAN up and running for both BWII and Super Mario Strikers, yet removed that option in the final games.

VAIL

Phife Dawg said:
Never played it. Did they remove a LAN option as well or what is the connection?

No but it allowed people to stream games to the Gamecube via the PC, this probably paranoia caused by that.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
VAIL said:
No but it allowed people to stream games to the Gamecube via the PC, this probably paranoia caused by that.
Yeah, the game was exploited to run pirated GC games (I don't know if it required additional hardware, though).

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
This game is awesome. The amount of customisation options are ridiculous, but I just played it on default and I popped headshots like a mother fucker.

Bit-Bit

McBacon said:
This game is awesome. The amount of customisation options are ridiculous, but I just played it on default and I popped headshots like a mother fucker.

Tell us more. What about the levels? How does the multiplayer feel. That's what I'm interested in the most.

Jaagen

Bit-Bit said:
Tell us more. What about the levels? How does the multiplayer feel. That's what I'm interested in the most.

No-one's played multiplayer, since the demo failed so I guess he doesn't know anything about how it feels(Sega said there will be a new demo shortly)

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Jaagen said:
No-one's played multiplayer, since the demo failed so I guess he doesn't know anything about how it feels(Sega said there will be a new demo shortly)

I'm not sure about multiplayer I'm afraid, but the game pretty much sucks N64 FPS dong, but with rad controls.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Why?

15mhfs2.png

Why not.

Mantorok

scitek said:
Yeah, for the people that want to take the time to arrange matches everytime they feel like playing an actual Team game worth a shit, it's no problem. For those like me that don't really want to make playing videogames a chore, it fails on all levels.

It won't be an issue once friend horde picks up the pace, getting friend codes will be piss easy then.

later

Mantorok said:
It won't be an issue once friend horde picks up the pace, getting friend codes will be piss easy then.

Couldn't someone make a homebrew app to exchange friend codes? (automatically) -- though i guess nintendo would just ban all the codes they find..

Then again, I wonder if they even have ban functionality programmed :)

Mantorok

later said:
Couldn't someone make a homebrew app to exchange friend codes? (automatically) -- though i guess nintendo would just ban all the codes they find..

Then again, I wonder if they even have ban functionality programmed :)

The next best thing is friend horde, which at least keeps people updated with friend code registrations, it just hasn't been discovered yet. :D

Top Bottom