• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Conduit Discussion Thread (Videos + Other Media)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
dammitmattt said:
It works well enough for the millions of people playing COD4/Halo3/Killzone2/Resistance/etc. every single day. Bonus points since it allows you to chill out on the couch. Games aren't all about precision, you know

So with the Wiimote and nunchuk you get to chill out on the couch *with* precision. Sounds great to me :D

Dual analog is a terrible control method for FPS that people have just grown to accept. The only way I can stomach it is if I'm playing a game with someone else in the room (co-op or passing the controller back and forth).

I usually stick with PC FPS, but sometimes I love sitting back and relaxing with a Wii FPS. You still lose a good deal of control that you would have on the kb/m, but no where near the drop off you get with dual analog. I'm really looking forward to The Conduit since there are very few FPS on the Wii that actually make good use of the controls (MoH Heroes 2 and WaW are the only ones I can think of).

Reading back a couple pages I'm seeing people tease at them having to go back to licencsed games after Conduit if it doens't sell well. We did a good 40 minute long podcast interview with the lead designer, Rob Nichols, last week and he said that Eric (ceo) and another guy have secured independant financing for the company. So those other games (Grinder, Gladiator) will still be made as they are without a publisher at this point.

I hadn't had a chance to play The Conduit before last week and finally did get a chance. It played really well.

The Grinder looks really good for only being in development for 2 months.

EDarkness

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Sorry, but I can't do this.
Perhaps Wii owners can achieve this and ignore everything that is out there.
But I can't judge the Conduit that way, especially with such a low paradigm for FPS games that Wii suffers from.

I'm probably gonna take some heat for this, but I think the FPS genre has been stale for a long time. Though, I'll admit that I'm not even sure how they could make it better. The last FPS that I really thought felt fresh was Maken X on the DC.

That said, I still enjoy the genre. Running around and shooting bastids is fun and as long as the game does that much I'm all for it. The problem I have with them basically stems from the fact that there have been so many FPS games over the years that it's really hard to enjoy the single player aspect of the game since just about everything has been done before. It took me months to finish Halo 2's single player, same with Bioshock, Call of Duty games, etc. I always get the feeling that I've done it all before. I've flipped the same switches, been ambushed in the same areas, had to make the same silly jumps, etc. The only first person games I've been able to complete in a reasonable amount of time in recent years has been Metroid Prime 3 and Red Steel. The only reason for that was because of the controls. For this reason, I think I'll be able to finish The Conduit. On top of the fact that it's not set in World War 2, that's even better.

I'm glad High Voltage was able to make the game fun. That's all I can really ask.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
EDarkness said:
I'm probably gonna take some heat for this, but I think the FPS genre has been stale for a long time. Though, I'll admit that I'm not even sure how they could make it better. The last FPS that I really thought felt fresh was Maken X on the DC.

That said, I still enjoy the genre. Running around and shooting bastids is fun and as long as the game does that much I'm all for it. The problem I have with them basically stems from the fact that there have been so many FPS games over the years that it's really hard to enjoy the single player aspect of the game since just about everything has been done before. It took me months to finish Halo 2's single player, same with Bioshock, Call of Duty games, etc. I always get the feeling that I've done it all before. I've flipped the same switches, been ambushed in the same areas, had to make the same silly jumps, etc. The only first person games I've been able to complete in a reasonable amount of time in recent years has been Metroid Prime 3 and Red Steel. The only reason for that was because of the controls. For this reason, I think I'll be able to finish The Conduit. On top of the fact that it's not set in World War 2, that's even better.

I'm glad High Voltage was able to make the game fun. That's all I can really ask.

Another plus: I can't think of another FPS where you fight inside the White House and the Pentagon. The Conduit should have some sweet set pieces.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Danthrax said:
Another plus: I can't think of another FPS where you fight inside the White House and the Pentagon. The Conduit should have some sweet set pieces.

Honestly, Fallout 3 mops the floor with the Conduit as far as the DC setting goes.

Fallout 3 is spectacular.

Arde5643

Pseudo_Sam said:
Honestly, Fallout 3 mops the floor with the Conduit as far as the DC setting goes.

Sorry for thread derailment - how does Fallout 3 look on SDTV? Is the text readable?

I don't want a Lost Planet situation.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Arde5643 said:
Sorry for thread derailment - how does Fallout 3 look on SDTV? Is the text readable?

If at all possible, grab the PC version. For many, many reasons.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Arde5643 said:

Played it on PC. It's the only way to go.

Bethesda games = fun, buggy, room for improvement
Bethesda games with mods = omg yes best thing ever

KevinCow said:
You can do that with a Wiimote & Nunchuk, too. I like to rest my right arm on the armrest and aim with slight movements of my wrist, with my left hand in my lap. You don't have to jump around the room like they show in the commercials.
I have no idea why people cant seem to grasp this, as its the simplest of things. If you are flailing around just to aim with the wiimote, you are a terrible, terrible player :lol

Penguin

I also like the multiplayer characters are named after presidents.
Wonder how they get away with that though.

And I played the demo back at Comic Con, and it was a fun time.

abstract alien said:
I have no idea why people cant seem to grasp this, as its the simplest of things. If you are flailing around just to aim with the wiimote, you are a terrible, terrible player :lol
Or an idiot.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Fact: Playing a properly designed FPS on the Wii need not be any more arduous than playing one with a mouse. Arguably less so, since you'll probably be playing on a couch instead of in an office-type chair in front of a desk.

AniHawk

markatisu said:
(despite the fact he has said he was interested in buying it prior to E3).

I'm pretty sure I wrote it off pretty early in that first screenshot thread. I just stopped paying attention to it after that until E3.

Given how generally awful the level design is in most first-person shooter campaigns *cough
controversialopinionaboutapopulargame
cough*, The Conduit's average main game stuff is more a less an improvement. At least, I saw one neat thing that they did during my short time with it.

Not that I'll buy it. Bounty Hunter mode is great, the controls are damn nice, and it's pretty much the best choice for free online FPS if you're a Wii-only owner (or Wii60 owner), but I sorta need a single player mode that's as good as the rest of the game. That's why The Orange Box is pretty much the best FPS package ever.

The solution to the "getting tired playing Wii" problem (for the lazy man) is to buy a chair with arm rests. My recliner sofa chair has arm rests that are like 7 inches wide. I learn back and can play for as long as I need to. In some ways it's more comfortable since I have both arms on each arm rest and enter a comatose-like when playing. The bad is that I can't sit on the floor or odd positions when playing games, which I happen to do quite frequently for no apparently reason.

And this game is coming out in 2 weeks. It's so weird to realize you're finally playing a game you've been reading about for a long time.

KevinCow

Banned
Penguin said:
I also like the multiplayer characters are named after presidents.
Wonder how they get away with that though.
I think they're just stand-in names. When you play, it'll say Penguin, or whatever you make your screen name.

Mejilan said:
Fact: Playing a properly designed FPS on the Wii need not be any more arduous than playing one with a mouse. Arguably less so, since you'll probably be playing on a couch instead of in an office-type chair in front of a desk.

Its less accurate and less comfortable. Stick to badmouthing controllers becaue M/KB for FPS is off limits for any console, and always has been.

Dudes, I was responding to a post about mouse+keyboard. I'm perfectly aware how of how to use the Wii controllers. I have to lecture my wife about "small movements" every time she plays :)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Pseudo_Sam said:

oh, didn't realize Fallout 3 was set in D.C. I haven't played it, just watched friends play it a little bit.

Danthrax said:
oh, didn't realize Fallout 3 was set in D.C. I haven't played it, just watched friends play it a little bit.

Well it is set in a DC where most of the actual city is rubble overrun by Super Mutants. The White House is just a radioactive crater, and the Pentagon is a Brotherhood of Steel fortress where no actual fights take place.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
EmCeeGramr said:
Well it is set in a DC where most of the actual city is rubble overrun by Super Mutants. The White House is just a radioactive crater, and the Pentagon is a Brotherhood of Steel fortress where no actual fights take place.

then its setting is practically nothing like The Conduit's :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't really see the need for debating the value of comparisons between The Conduit and *insertothersystemshooter*.

Who cares? It all boils down to two things; if you like Wii pointer controls enough to interest you in the title, and if you want a solid multiplayer to play on the Wii.

If you don't want The Conduit because you'd rather play CoD4/TF2/Whatever on another system then that's fine. If pointer controls are not enough to sell the title, then so be it. To each their own.

But some people, even multi-system owners, just like the Wii. They like pointer shooter controls. Above all, they want a fun experience, most of which wanting a fun multiplayer experience.

And so far that looks to be The Conduit's biggest plus. For people who do want an online Wii game with really solid pointer controls, the game looks to deliver.

If that's not good enough for you that's totally fine, but quit bitching about it and bringing up the comparisons. It's not Halo 3. It's not Call of Duty 4. It's not Team Fortress 2. We get it, we know it, and we just don't care. Why? Because we like what is being offered by The Conduit, and in the end that's all that matters.

adama-rama

Neo Member
$1400 PC gamer here. Crysis, CoD WaW, HL2 and all the good stuff at high res and all graphics at max.
Except for Crysis, but you know

The Conduit looks awesome. Looks fun.

Day One.

A game needn't be the best in it's genre or have all the bells and whistle to be worth laying down the $64.

EatChildren said:
I don't really see the need for debating the value of comparisons between The Conduit and *insertothersystemshooter*.

Who cares? It all boils down to two things; if you like Wii pointer controls enough to interest you in the title, and if you want a solid multiplayer to play on the Wii.

If you don't want The Conduit because you'd rather play CoD4/TF2/Whatever on another system then that's fine. If pointer controls are not enough to sell the title, then so be it. To each their own.

But some people, even multi-system owners, just like the Wii. They like pointer shooter controls. Above all, they want a fun experience, most of which wanting a fun multiplayer experience.

And so far that looks to be The Conduit's biggest plus. For people who do want an online Wii game with really solid pointer controls, the game looks to deliver.

If that's not good enough for you that's totally fine, but quit bitching about it and bringing up the comparisons. It's not Halo 3. It's not Call of Duty 4. It's not Team Fortress 2. We get it, we know it, and we just don't care. Why? Because we like what is being offered by The Conduit, and in the end that's all that matters.

Who's we?

Personally, I'm not interested in the online portion of the game. I want a great single player experience. I love motion controls. My main problem with the game is that the game looks really dull and boring. The setting is not bad, it just looks so lifeless and basic, and the animation seems uninspiring. I know High Voltage is trying to push the envelope for the system, if only they had the same ambition and skill in the art direction/design. Right now, the game just looks too inferior when compared with the best games of it's genre.

I hope i could be proven wrong. I guess we will have to wait and see.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Who's we?

"We" is everyone who doesn't mind about everything you just bitched about.

Your post is a case example of what I'm talking about. You want/need more from the title to be interested; ok, we get it. Hell, if I didn't have a well paying job and was short on funds, and didn't foolishly splash my money around, I would probably rent The Conduit and not even think twice about purchasing it.

My point is that people bitching about still don't seem to 'get' why others are buying it. The conversations always go;

"Oh man, I love pointer controls!"
"Yeah, but the art sucks."
"No matter, I really want a solid online game!"
"No, the single player is boring and generic."
"Yay! The Conduit has a solid multiplayer with the best shooter pointer controls on the Wii!"
"You're not listening. The game is generic and boring looking."

Some people just want a solid online multiplayer on the Wii, and they want top tier pointer controls. Yes, the single player is probably a repetitive mess. Yes, the art direction is more than questionable. Yes, the game does in many areas look bland. But that doesn't bother some people as they want something else.

Many people here looking forward to The Conduit want only two things; a solid online multiplayer and fantastic pointer controls. The latter has already been proven in the plethora of previews, and the former has been praised in the few reviews we have.

Get it?

EatChildren said:
"We" is everyone who doesn't mind about everything you just bitched about.

Your post is a case example of what I'm talking about. You want/need more from the title to be interested; ok, we get it. Hell, if I didn't have a well paying job and was short on funds, and didn't foolishly splash my money around, I would probably rent The Conduit and not even think twice about purchasing it.

My point is that people bitching about still don't seem to 'get' why others are buying it. The conversations always go;

"Oh man, I love pointer controls!"
"Yeah, but the art sucks."
"No matter, I really want a solid online game!"
"No, the single player is boring and generic."
"Yay! The Conduit has a solid multiplayer with the best shooter pointer controls on the Wii!"
"You're not listening. The game is generic and boring looking."

Some people just want a solid online multiplayer on the Wii, and they want top tier pointer controls. Yes, the single player is probably a repetitive mess. Yes, the art direction is more than questionable. Yes, the game does in many areas look bland. But that doesn't bother some people as they want something else.

Many people here looking forward to The Conduit want only two things; a solid online multiplayer and fantastic pointer controls. The latter has already been proven in the plethora of previews, and the former has been praised in the few reviews we have.

Get it?

No, I don't get it.
So, is this the topic where we will only discuss about how good the Conduit controls or how good it's multiplayer is?

I may want to discuss about how i want The Conduit to be much better than it really seems to be right now, the whole packet.

Others may want to discuss about how the game looks embarassing in single player, contrary to what High Voltage wants to achieve.

There is no "we" in this thread, it's just you and everyone else, and to imply that there is a single direction for this topic, that of the Conduit's potentially awesome multiplayer functionality, is a little fucking stupid, imo.

EatChildren

I never said or implied that the thread should be one directional. I simply pointed out that people constantly bitching to others about the short comings of the game is pointless, specifically the debates over whether comparisons to other system titles (Halo 4, CoD4, Resistance, etc) is needed.

I'm sick of people getting on their high horse just because they don't see any attraction to The Conduit, as if it's some ghetto Wii owner viewpoint to like it. The point is plenty of us see the shortcomings of the title but don't give a flying fuck about it, as there's something in the title that we find enthralling.

EatChildren said:
I never said or implied that the thread should be one directional. I simply pointed out that people constantly bitching to others about the short comings of the game is pointless, specifically the debates over whether comparisons to other system titles (Halo 4, CoD4, Resistance, etc) is needed.

I'm sick of people getting on their high horse just because they don't see any attraction to The Conduit, as if it's some ghetto Wii owner viewpoint to like it. The point is plenty of us see the shortcomings of the title but don't give a flying fuck about it, as there's something in the title that we find enthralling.

I'm not riding any high horse and I'm not bitching to other people about why they should like or dislike a game.

I responded to this
When talking about The Conduit everyone has to preface what is said with the context of FPS on the Wii and Wii only.
, which is wrong imo.
Of course, the fact that the Conduit is on the Wii works for the game, not against it, but it is not a bad thing, or wrong, to judge the game on standards set by other "ambassadors" of it's genre.

So, there.

donny2112

The Conduit releases on June 23rd.
I believe Official topics can be posted two weeks before release (i.e. today).
Friend Code exchanges have to be done on the Online Forum.
Since The Conduit uses Wii System Friend Codes, a thread can be started there where we can start exchanging codes for use on Day 1 when the game comes out.

HINT. HINT.

Serious Question:
Are official game topics off-limits for trolling? I seem to recall some topics making that stipulation, but I don't know if it's an official rule or not.

Of course, the fact that the Conduit is on the Wii works for the game, not against it, but it is not a bad thing, or wrong, to judge the game on standards set by other "ambassadors" of it's genre.

So, there.

General Opinion (i.e. vary from person to person)

Controls - The Conduit potentially greatly improved over "the ambassadors"
Graphics - Necessarily less than most of "the ambassadors;" For Wii, head of the pack technically, near head of the pack style (
just not being WWII gives it a ton of advantage here :lol
)
Online - Lower rung compared to "the ambassadors" overall; top rung compared to "the ambassadors" on Wii

I'm hoping for Goldeneye/PD style difficulty levels with goal times resulting in cheats for the SP mode, personally. :D

EDarkness

I responded to this , which is wrong imo.

So, there.

I'm curious to know which FPS games you thought had good single player? I personally haven't been impressed with them in a LONG time. The only real exception has been Metroid 3, but I don't know if we can really throw that into the same genre.

EDarkness said:
I'm curious to know which FPS games you thought had good single player? I personally haven't been impressed with them in a LONG time. The only real exception has been Metroid 3, but I don't know if we can really throw that into the same genre.

Are we talking Wii-only??

Scrubking

but it is not a bad thing, or wrong, to judge the game on standards set by other "ambassadors" of it's genre.

So, there.

Yes it is.

There is no standard for fun and entertainment. It's all preferences and opinions. The only thing that can be judged by any sort of objective measure are technical feats and technical feats aren't what make a game fun or entertaining. On top of that the standard for technical feats is, and will always be, on the PC so if you are going to go by the technical standard then you have to say that every PS360 game is shit, dull, boring, whatever and there's no point in buying anything other than PC games.

And that's where the hypocrisy lies. Everyone seems to want to judge Wii games against PS360 games, but few want to judge PS360 games against the PC.

It's all a bunch of immature bullshit. Play what you like and accept that others will play what they like. Stop trying to be "right" or force your preferences on others by claiming some sort of standard.

TheHeretic said:
Its less accurate and less comfortable. Stick to badmouthing controllers becaue M/KB for FPS is off limits for any console, and always has been.

Less accurate, probably, but less comfortable? Bullshit. Complete and obvious bullshit.

Tab0203

Comfort = personal preference

Aiming, especially sniping is easier with a mouse. You don't have to fiddle with analog sticks or hold a remote in your hand (resting on your leg/couch/lap). Plus lightning fast turning speed.

Pointing (quickly at different parts of the screen) is more comfortable, easier and more precise than sliding (waggle) around/pick up a mouse on a mousepad:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15320230&postcount=456
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15326923&postcount=471

Scrubking said:
Yes it is.

There is no standard for fun and entertainment. It's all preferences and opinions. The only thing that can be judged by any sort of objective measure are technical feats and technical feats aren't what make a game fun or entertaining. On top of that the standard for technical feats is, and will always be, on the PC so if you are going to go by the technical standard then you have to say that every PS360 game is shit, dull, boring, whatever and there's no point in buying anything other than PC games.

And that's where the hypocrisy lies. Everyone seems to want to judge Wii games against PS360 games, but few want to judge PS360 games against the PC.

It's all a bunch of immature bullshit. Play what you like and accept that others will play what they like. Stop trying to be "right" or force your preferences on others by claiming some sort of standard.

What the... no, there IS a standard outside of personal preferences. And then, there is your personal delusion.
A) People need to stop generalizing when answering to me in this thread. First there was a "we", then I belong to a mysterious "everyone".
B) I never mentioned technical standards, this is just your preconception. I didn't even mention a supposed contra between PS360 and the Wii. This is about the Wii not having high quality FPS games. The paradigm is low in the system, full stop.

The PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 have many, much better FPS games than the Wii. Are you going to argue about this as well with the "no standard in fun or entertainment" theory?

@EDarkness, FPS games that I enjoyed in the last couple of years (with order of personal preference): Bioshock, Crysis (and Warhead), Left 4 Dead, Orange Box, Brothers in Arms, Far Cry 2, Metroid Prime 3, Killzone 2.

By the way, I've yet to experience a single FPS game in the Wii where the control scheme made up for the lack in direction or average audio/visuals.

Tab0203 said:

Aiming, especially sniping is easier with a mouse. You don't have to fiddle with analog sticks or hold a remote in your hand (resting on your leg/couch/lap). Plus lightning fast turning speed.

Pointing (quickly at different parts of the screen) is more comfortabe, easier and more precise than sliding (waggle) around a mouse on a mousepad:

Hehe good posts.

Well yeah I worded it a bit too strong :-D MKB still kind of "forces" a body position but of course the Wiimote can be a bit tiring to use for extended periods. It's just that the difference's not that big and using mkb on a couch is pretty difficult imo and it's much easier to set up to play comfortably with a wiimote and needs less stuff. I was mainly referring to the ease of couch play.

As for lightning fast turning speed, obviously the mouse has an advantage at that, but that's because traditional FPS gameplay was built around the mouse. It's a mechanic that's definitely fun and it's an important part of PC FPS' but it's there because of the mouse and not at all because it's natural or realistic, imo...I don't consider it as something necessary (like aiming) but as a feature that adds more "fun" and depth to gameplay.

I also hope that we'll see different Wii FPS control methods, not just the bounding box thing...and even that would be better if quick 90 degree turns were possible (like Lost Planet). Maybe try something like "tank" controls (I don't really get the name, it's the normal human way of walking, people don't strafe irl afaik) + independent upper body/head movement (turning in 2 45 degree steps? except the wiimote + nunchuk don't have enough buttons for that, maybe m+ gestures) + direct pointing. Sorry for being ot too.

Davey Cakes

You don't realize how atrocious dual-analog is until you watch a comparison video between it and the Wiimote.

My God, it's so stiff and unnatural.

Rash said:
You don't realize how atrocious dual-analog is until you watch a comparison video between it and the Wiimote.

My God, it's so stiff and unnatural.

Imo MKB is even more "unnatural"...not that it matters at all. I don't think you notice how cinematic the game is when you're playing :) You'd need 3 analogue sticks to separate camera/movement/aiming and connecting either two will result in some awkwardness (especially taking into account how much you strafe in fps', which in itself is super unnatural). A wiimote with an analogue stick would be a (probably bad) solution...I'd like to try though, it'd be fun to learn an even more complicated control setup hehe.

Vinci

Danish
Tab0203 said:

Pointing (quickly at different parts of the screen) is more comfortabe, easier and more precise than sliding (waggle) around/pick up a mouse on a mousepad:

Some of those Wii Play scores are ridiculously insane. I don't even know how their eyes track the targets quickly enough to keep up with the movements.

scitek said:
Boy, Annoying Old Party man is one thick-headed motherfucker. Most aptly named member of GAF?

That's your contribution to your discussion? You're worse than even an invalid argument.

And my name is an Earthbound/Mother 2 reference, which no one seems to get, like, ever :(:(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
J-Rock said:
Damn I can't wait to play this online. So who is making the official thread again? And what day is it going up?

ICallItFutile said he's making the OT and posting it today. Don't see it yet, though.

[edit] I'm thinking about making a Wii friend code thread in the online forum, though, per Donny's suggestion.

KevinCow

Banned
And my name is an Earthbound/Mother 2 reference, which no one seems to get, like, ever :(:(
There are people who don't instantly get that? I don't even like the series and I knew the reference instantly.

Top Bottom