• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew PC Beta Starts Monday July 21st

3 keys to give away

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (CrackaF3tt, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

PC 3 -- MB-CDB49DDA872EECDB
PC 2 -- MB-D4B6B62010617C02
PC 1 -- MB-084458A4E06858F4

Lijik

How do you just do Free Roam? Every time I get across the Detroit Bridge, the game shitkicks me.

I have a need.

A need to cruise USA.

Yeah I have the same question, I assume it unlocks after a certain mission.
I just wanna know at what point can i ignore the story and just explore

shockdude

How do you just do Free Roam? Every time I get across the Detroit Bridge, the game shitkicks me.

I have a need.

A need to cruise USA.
Yeah I have the same question, I assume it unlocks after a certain mission.
I just wanna know at what point can i ignore the story and just explore
Make sure the game is fully downloaded.
Once you unlock the HQ, you can free roam. The missions leading up to that point are:
  • Get to Detroit and win the race.
  • Drive your brother to the bridge
    and get arrested
  • Buy a car.
  • Tune your car.
  • Race Zoe.
I think that's it. There might be one or two more missions that you have to do, but they're not too difficult. Enjoy!

Also here's a key that showed up in my email after I claimed a key from this thread. First to quote gets it.

Megasoum

Banned
I played a bit last night and had fun. I gotta say, I'm REALLLLY impressed by the Thrustmaster TX support in that game.

They even have the proper buttons on screen, like actual images of the TX buttons, not just A, B, X and Y. The ffb is great too. Had to tone it down a bit cause I almost hurt myself haha. I wasn't too sure at the beginning but after doing a couple of missions and unlocking upgrades...yeah I can see it now.

Only issue I had last night is that I'm playing on a 24" monitor and since I have to sit back a bit more than normal when I'm using the steering wheel the UI is a bit difficult to read. Since it's an Ubi game the UI is a clusterfuck by default so it was a bit confusing.

shockdude

I've put around 6-8 hours into the game so far, Took a trip from Ohio to New York, then to DC and through Miami to the Florida Keys. Scouted out all the New York landmarks and some more Midwest landmarks, visited a bunch of satellites, and wandered around a bit before deciding to take an aimless road trip through the mountains.

The north mountains (glacial park) are some of the best roads in the game. I drove and drifted through them for about 15 minutes before ending my game session, only to find I was merely halfway through.

I still have trouble comprehending the size of the map in this game, much less how the map is properly populated with interesting things. It's truly remarkable, and unlike any other game I've ever played.

Also anyone else have frame drops when visiting the pit mines?

RealMeat

Banned
They do a great job of capturing the feel of each area of the country. I drove from the midwest to the Grand Canyon and the west coast, and it brought back memories of doing the same thing in real life.

vvise

Blasting around in a rank 228 hot rod. There are still a few challenges I can't hit the Gold on. Maybe if it had a dirt spec it would help with the Scramble and Hill Climbs.

I think I'll grind some pvp lobbies, they seem like the best way to earn cash.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's clearly a tiny version of the US, but it can be really pretty. Driving over the Hudson into New York at night and seeing the city skyline all lit up; the Vegas strip (made me want to play PGR..); driving on the bonneville salt flats while the sun rises over the mountains..

Doing handbrake drifts around corners in cockpit view is really nice too. :)

zodiak

Found this in my inbox, bit late maybe but anyway.

UJQ9-CVEM-7CKU-TGL3

MC7A-CML4-3HGK-PCAP

YGD4-KAPC-FYWG-8MN3

Have fun if you can use them :)

it's very telling that this game is not all that hyped up with so many codes being given out, many more givers then takers here.

not looking good. maybe a console beta will change that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I really don't like the AI continuing to T-bone me in turn-offs because the damn game just so happens to HAVE to have 4 players in the map in a single-player/solo experience. Drives me crazy. The AI isn't good, Ubisoft. Leave it for the races.

The second thing that is driving me crazy is the handling on cars. Hardcore (what I chose) or Sports or the "all assists on" doesn't matter. Cornering is a 50/50 chance of spinning out with most cars even if you reach 50MPH. So stupid if they're doing a "level up yourself to get a better handling car" which flies in the face of their story.
"Hey bro I want you to drive me to my death. Why? Because you're the best damn driver we have in our clan."

"...If I'm such a good driver, why the hell am I spinning out on corners?"

"...I dunno, bro. Blame Ubisoft!"

shockdude

so it sucks?
The handling is extremely divisive.
I use a DS3 andI've been driving the 370z with assists on, and for me the handling was decent at first and pretty good at higher levels. If you pump the brakes instead of using the handbrake you'll turn fine. I plan to play around with Sport handling later since I want to figure out how to properly drift.

The only thing that everyone agrees on is that the map is awesome. Once you figure out handling you'll have a great time.

My friend and I played the beta for hours yesterday, it is so fun to explore with a friend! Car handling is definitely crappy at first but then you get some upgrades and it starts to get a bit tighter.

I definitely recommend playing this with a friend, I don't think driving in cockpit mode, driving out into a vast corn field, finding a jump, weaving through a forest and somehow criss-crossing paths without hitting each other would be as fun alone.

Denton

My friend and I played the beta for hours yesterday, it is so fun to explore with a friend! Car handling is definitely crappy at first but then you get some upgrades and it starts to get a bit tighter.

I definitely recommend playing this with a friend, I don't think driving in cockpit mode, driving out into a vast corn field, finding a jump, weaving through a forest and somehow criss-crossing paths without hitting each other would be as fun alone.

It's funny, this is precisely why I loved Test Drive Unlimited 1/2, I played it with a friend and we just drove around Ibiza and Hawaii and explored and raced and it was awesome fun.
And of course Crew is from the same devs as TDU 1. They are just awesome at this, my only hope is that all the kings will get ironed out for the final release.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The handling takes a little while to get used to but it's not as bad as some people are claiming.

Yes it is, especially for "beginners"/starting out. There is no reason for the handling to be this bad for the sake of "later on down the road your car will be fine! LOLZ!" That is going to turn people off and not retain players.

Which reminds me, max vibration on the DS3 (since it's using the 360 vibration code I guess) is horrible I turned it to "lowest click above 'off'" and it's alright but not great. I think I'm going to turn vibration off since it seems they don't have a seperate PS3 code-base for it like some other vibration-enabled controller games of last-gen did.

Top Bottom