• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

omgkitty

747_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
748_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
446_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
745_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
744_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
746_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Quite satisfied to see animated movies are getting Criterion releases now. Not hot on Satyricon, don't know enough about the Godard to judge its cover, but the latter artworks look cool. Interesting how this Ozu's getting an upgrade...still plenty more to release.

EDIT: Beaten by a minute!

Ridley327

Don't Look Now and Watership Down are definite purchases, for sure.

That being said, the cover for Don't Look Now looks like one of those covers that they put out for horror films in recent Halloweens to make it look more grisly than it actually is.

swoon

wish they had gone with the uk or french name for the godard. either way it's my favorite of his post-68 work and equal to some of his classics.

Steamlord

That being said, the cover for Don't Look Now looks like one of those covers that they put out for horror films in recent Halloweens to make it look more grisly than it actually is.

I think it works pretty damn well. There's the reference to this:

as well as the daughter's coat, and, you know, the ending. I mean, you can't deny that the color red is crazy important in this film. Anyway, I'm all over dat Don't Look Now.

I just wish we could get some Dreyer on Blu-ray. Master of the House is all well and good, but come on, we need more.

Ridley327

I think it works pretty damn well. There's the reference to this:

as well as the daughter's coat, and, you know, the ending. I mean, you can't deny that the color red is crazy important in this film. Anyway, I'm all over dat Don't Look Now.

I just wish we could get some Dreyer on Blu-ray. Master of the House is all well and good, but come on, we need more.

Oh, I know what it means. I just don't think it comes across as nearly as profound on that cover, that's all.

berzeli

Banned
More Ozu is always good news even if I already own the UK release of that film, and really nice to see Watership Down getting the Criterion treatment.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Ugh, Don't Look Now.

Awesome about Day in the Country though, definitely picking that up. Just saw it recently this year, absolutely adored it.

Fjordson

I'm gonna double post here. I just got a 30% off any item coupon for Friday at B&N. It'll stack right?
It should, yeah.

I got that email too. Tryna think how crazy Barnes & Noble will be on BF though. I mean it's a book store so hopefully nothing too bad.

cj_iwakura

I wanted to appreciate Picnic at Hanging Rock, I really did, but it straight up put me to sleep.

Great cinematography, everything else just drags.

Today's rental get: The Red Shoes. Cautious optimism.

ngower

I wanted to appreciate Picnic at Hanging Rock, I really did, but it straight up put me to sleep.

Great cinematography, everything else just drags.

Today's rental get: The Red Shoes. Cautious optimism.

The Red Shoes is amazing.

On a different note, I've shared some of these videos here before, so here's my latest B&N haul/overview of my Collection video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqvkq12KMtM

Maybe you guys will like it. Maybe you won't care. Either way, check it out.

Fjordson

What do you guys think of The Shooting and Ride in the Whirlwind? Thinking about picking it up.

Interesting that these don't seem like quite the classic / critical darling that many criterion releases are.

swoon

What do you guys think of The Shooting and Ride in the Whirlwind? Thinking about picking it up.

Interesting that these don't seem like quite the classic / critical darling that many criterion releases are.

they've released two-lane blacktop already, so the big hellman is out of the way. i think this is where criterion is at their best, by being actual tastemakers. the shooting at least is really good, and ride is fun.

hopefully the hint below is ride the pink horse which is a great western-noir.

omgkitty

they've released two-lane blacktop already, so the big hellman is out of the way. i think this is where criterion is at their best, by being actual tastemakers. the shooting at least is really good, and ride is fun.

hopefully the hint below is ride the pink horse which is a great western-noir.

I believe Criterion said they had access to some Universal stuff now right?

swoon

yea i think so. it feels like a criterion release - actor/director who studied under ford...but i wouldn't think it would be something they'd tease.

it also has an important scene with a carousel

Fjordson

Thanks for the info. Think I'll pick it up then. I'm a big fan of westerns, and am always interested in expanding my western tastes.

The Red Shoes is amazing.

On a different note, I've shared some of these videos here before, so here's my latest B&N haul/overview of my Collection video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqvkq12KMtM

Maybe you guys will like it. Maybe you won't care. Either way, check it out.
Nice haul man! Reminded me that I need to get Rules of the Game.

ngower

Thanks for the info. Think I'll pick it up then. I'm a big fan of westerns, and am always interested in expanding my western tastes.

Nice haul man! Reminded me that I need to get Rules of the Game.

Only five of 'em (the first ones) were from this sale. The rest were stuff in my Collection, haha. Hope that was made clear.

Fjordson

Only five of 'em (the first ones) were from this sale. The rest were stuff in my Collection, haha. Hope that was made clear.
Oh I got you, haha. Still, a nice collection.

Picked up the Shooting / Ride in the Whirlwind, but the jerks were sold out of L'avventura. Really hoping they restock it before the sale is up. Ordering online from B&N is always painfully slow for me.

cj_iwakura

Red Shoes is really special. The lead actors are great, too. I love how their words carry weight in old films like that.

Fjordson

Lame first world complaint incoming:

Why does Criterion hate regular booklets lately? Seems like every new or recent release I get comes with some sort of annoying foldout poster thing.

I think anything that actually manages to make reading cumbersome should be banned forever.

Because libraries bitched and moaned about *gasp* the potential left-over Blu-ray sitting in the dual-format case, Criterion's had to ditch that move and save costs by printing cheaper, flimsier written supplements.

cj_iwakura

Because libraries bitched and moaned about *gasp* the potential left-over Blu-ray sitting in the dual-format case, Criterion's had to ditch that move and save costs by printing cheaper, flimsier written supplements.

They also get stolen from libraries, sadly. It's very rare they have the books with them when I check them out. Kind of an incentive to buy, or it used to be.

omgkitty

Now the question is. Is it possible for me to use this 30% off coupon twice. Once in stores and once online? :]

The code online is just a standard code anyone could use, so yeah you could go in store and do it too. I think I'm finally going to get the Zatoichi set. Should be about $80 with the coupon.

Fjordson

They also get stolen from libraries, sadly. It's very rare they have the books with them when I check them out. Kind of an incentive to buy, or it used to be.
Damn, that's a shame. These foldout things are the worst.

ngower

Definitely getting the BBS set if they stack the 30% on top of the 50% off (and 10% member price). Should be able to get the set for less than $40.

overcast

The code online is just a standard code anyone could use, so yeah you could go in store and do it too. I think I'm finally going to get the Zatoichi set. Should be about $80 with the coupon.
Holy shit mane. I'm almost tempted to just grab the Tati set. It'll be like 40 dollars.

Thief or Weekend by Godard? I haven't seen either. Leaning towards Thief as I own two Godards.

omgkitty

Holy shit mane. I'm almost tempted to just grab the Tati set. It'll be like 40 dollars.

Thief or Weekend by Godard? I haven't seen either. Leaning towards Thief as I own two Godards.

Thief is so good. I wanted to watch it again immediately after finishing it. Haven't watched Weekend yet.

Top Bottom