• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Fjordson

You won't regret Thief. One of the best blu-rays I own. The atmosphere and visual style benefits a great deal from the blu upgrade and that Tangerine Dream soundtrack sounds amazing.

ngower

Welp, went ahead and picked up the BBS set. I HAVE to block B&N from my browser/shock therapy myself into not going into the store. I can make it...I believe in myself...I can do this...

berzeli

Banned
I know this thread is mainly interested in Criterion but Masters of Cinema released their upcoming line-up and it's a thing of beauty. A four disc Shoah set that includes a 300 page book, Wooden Crosses, Two for the Road, Wild River, Satyricon, Man of the West and then there is their reissue of Metropolis as a two disc blu-ray set with an absolutely stunning steelbook cover:

B3cn7f0CMAAjYHM.jpg:large

Combing that with the Arrow Video slate and the Tarkovsky blu-rays from Artificial Eye should make living region B quite lovely for once.

ngower

I know this thread is mainly interested in Criterion but Masters of Cinema released their upcoming line-up and it's a thing of beauty. A four disc Shoah set that includes a 300 page book, Wooden Crosses, Two for the Road, Wild River, Satyricon, Man of the West and then there is their reissue of Metropolis as a two disc blu-ray set with an absolutely stunning steelbook cover:

Combing that with the Arrow Video slate and the Tarkovsky blu-rays from Artificial Eye should make living region B quite lovely for once.

As neat as all the other boutique labels are, the fact that NOT ONE has released additional Kieslowski (other than the DVD-only set from Kino) makes me sad. The Decalogue is an art house goldmine waiting to be unleashed on the cinephile masses.

berzeli

Banned
As neat as all the other boutique labels are, the fact that NOT ONE has released additional Kieslowski (other than the DVD-only set from Kino) makes me sad. The Decalogue is an art house goldmine waiting to be unleashed on the cinephile masses.

Artificial Eye has released quite a bit of Kieslowski (including The Decalogue), so I'm not sure I'm following you.

ngower

Artificial Eye has released quite a bit of Kieslowski (including The Decalogue), so I'm not sure I'm following you.

I suppose I should clarify: nothing on Blu Ray. The Dekalog release is over a decade old, so I'm SURE there's potential for a better picture/transfer.

overcast

I've got the nicest B&N manager in existence!

q0KClDWl.png

Every single one of these bought with the 30% off coupon.
Holy shit what a huge amount of movies. Did you clean them out?

I'm going to buy one online right now and then walk into Barnes and Noble and grab one later. I printed out two coupons, if I go with my friend can we both use them separately? Might use him to grab another movie for cheap :]

XShagrath

Holy shit what a huge amount of movies. Did you clean them out?
Far from cleaning them out!

I'm going to buy one online right now and then walk into Barnes and Noble and grab one later. I printed out two coupons, if I go with my friend can we both use them separately? Might use him to grab another movie for cheap :]
You should have no problems using one coupon a piece for you and your friend.

I seem to have a special relationship with my manager and he let me use the coupon as many times as I wanted. I typically wouldn't have gone so crazy, but I couldn't think of anything I wanted for Christmas this year, so I decided to expand the library again. My mother gave me a pretty hefty budget, and my wife chipped in some as well.

Draconian

I've got the nicest B&N manager in existence!

q0KClDWl.png

Every single one of these bought with the 30% off coupon.

Holy crap. Maybe one day I'll amass a collection that big, but I'm nowhere even close to that right now.

On an unrelated note, Branded to Kill is a lot of fun. Glad I picked it up during this sale.

Good lord @ $700 of Criterions in one haul. I don't know if I've spent that much in the 6 years they've been doing blu-rays.

XShagrath hit the level cap

XShagrath

$742 or $728 if my mental math is right.
Pretty close. Adding in tax put me at a little over $760. I had picked up $750 in giftcards earlier this week, so I've got an additional $100 that will activate on 12/26. I'll save that for the July sale and be able to pick up another half dozen or so, depending on coupons.

I grabbed Night of the Hunter, Last Temptation of Christ, and Rules of the Game using the half-off plus 30% discount. All of them are upgrades, as I already owned them on DVD.

I own the following on DVD but want to upgrade them to Blu at some point. Figure I might as well list them here...I own too many DVDs. I shudder when 4K becomes the standard and I have to re-buy everything for a third time.

12 Angry Men (not the Criterion release, but the regular MGM release)
Ace in the Hole (Criterion DVD)
The Battle of Algiers (Criterion DVD)
Brazil (Criterion DVD box set)
Down by Law (Criterion DVD)
Following (non-Criterion DVD, not sure whether I like it enough to upgrade)
Foreign Correspondent (Warner Bros. DVD)
It Happened One Night (Columbia DVD, almost bit the bullet during this last sale)
Late Spring (Criterion DVD)
Tokyo Story (Criterion DVD)
The Leopard (Criterion DVD, but I hear that the French edition of the Blu is actually based on a recent restoration so I have been hesitant to pick up the Criterion version in case they do an upgraded disc)
M (the original OOP Criterion DVD, not sure if I like it enough to upgrade)
My Darling Clementine (Fox DVD)
Rififi (original Criterion DVD with the yellow cover)
The Sword of Doom (Criterion DVD)
Time Bandits (non-Criterion DVD...the Criterion DVD wasn't anamorphic)
Umberto D. (Criterion DVD)
The Wages of Fear (Criterion DVD)

Today's the last day of the B&N sale and they have a 25% off code CMONDAY14 for Cyber Monday. Someone recommend me a film. :x

Edit:

What I have seen
Wild Strawberries
The Seventh Seal

Rosemary's Baby
12 Angry Men
The 400 Blows
Yojimbo
Rushmore
Eyes Without a Face
Repulsion
Days of Heaven
Badlands
Hunger
Dazed and Confused
The Wages of Fear
Kicking and Screaming
Frances Ha
Blue is the Warmest Color
Broadcast News
Certified Copy
The Devil's Backbone
Cronos
Fish Tank
The Game
The Great Dictator
The Last Emperor
On the Waterfront
Weekend (2011)
Being John Malkovich

Bolded the ones I particularly liked.

overcast

I bought Tenenbaums for 13 and ordered Dazed and Confused with the Cyber Monday code (came out to 15 dollars).

Done now. I feel like I haven't seen enough films to tell you what to get Femmeworth. I loved the first film of the Three Colors Trilogy. Why not just grab a film from one of those directors you loved?

Finally going to have This Sporting Life, heard the supplements and transfer are superb. Ordered it along with the Complete Tati + Certified Copy for The Report.

Steamlord

My most recent discovery that blew me away was Marketa Lazarová. That is some next-level shit.

Fake edit: It looks like you enjoy Bergman, so I can't recommend Persona strongly enough. One of my all-time favorites.

Now I just have to decide what to get with that coupon...

I bought Tenenbaums for 13 and ordered Dazed and Confused with the Cyber Monday code (came out to 15 dollars).

Done now. I feel like I haven't seen enough films to tell you what to get Femmeworth. I loved the first film of the Three Colors Trilogy. Why not just grab a film from one of those directors you loved?
I might order the Three Colors Trilogy since it is only $30 with the code.
My most recent discovery that blew me away was Marketa Lazarová. That is some next-level shit.

Fake edit: It looks like you enjoy Bergman, so I can't recommend Persona strongly enough. One of my all-time favorites.

Now I just have to decide what to get with that coupon...
Forgot to mention that I ordered Fanny & Alexander a few days ago with the 30% off coupon, so I'd like to get something from a different director. Thanks though. :) I'm definitely going to watch Persona at some point.

bjork

I've been copies of Breaking the Waves out there, but did Dancer in the Dark ever get a release on Criterion?

ngower

Hey all,

Offloading a few DVDs if anyone's interested:

• Passion of Joan of Arc - $12 obo
• Life is Sweet - $12 obo
• America Lost and Found: the BBS Story - $40 obo

Hope I'm not violating any rules by listing these here.

Anyone here watch Fat Girl? Kind of interested in that though it might be something I'd be better off renting first.

Edit: Pulled the trigger on the Three Colors Trilogy. So I've got that as well as Fanny & Alexander coming for my Christmas. :D

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
A bunch of super, super obvious Warner Archive discs were discontinued this week - some of them very recently released in the first place. It's no coincidence that they're all from some of Criterion's favorite directors:

Dreams (Akira Kurosawa)
Blow Up (Michelangelo Antonioni)
The Breaking Point (Michael Curtiz)
Barcelona (Whit Stillman)
Magnificent Ambersons (Orson Welles)
The Asphalt Jungle (John Huston)
A Face in the Crowd (Elia Kazan)
Klute (Alan Pakula)
Day for Night (Francois Truffaut)
Cat People (Jacques Tourneur) Both the individual Cat People and the Val Lewton box are officially discontinued this week.
Before Sunrise (Richard Linklater)
Before Sunset (Richard Linklater)

So when Criterion puts out that annual Where's Waldo artwork of upcoming titles, welp... Go ahead and start looking for those.

So when Criterion puts out that annual Where's Waldo artwork of upcoming titles, welp... Go ahead and start looking for those.
O_O *prays to the cinema gods that CC can strike a deal with Sony Pictures Classics as well*

big ander

I hope Ambersons gets a blu upgrade sooner rather than later. Would make sense to do it too, given the (hopeful) release of The Other Side of the Wind. Welles is oddly underrepresented on blu

A bunch of super, super obvious Warner Archive discs were discontinued this week - some of them very recently released in the first place. It's no coincidence that they're all from some of Criterion's favorite directors:

Dreams (Akira Kurosawa)
Blow Up (Michelangelo Antonioni)
The Breaking Point (Michael Curtiz)
Barcelona (Whit Stillman)
Magnificent Ambersons (Orson Welles)
The Asphalt Jungle (John Huston)
A Face in the Crowd (Elia Kazan)
Klute (Alan Pakula)
Day for Night (Francois Truffaut)
Cat People (Jacques Tourneur) Both the individual Cat People and the Val Lewton box are officially discontinued this week.

To add to the Criterion rumor mill. There are rumblings that Criterion has also acquired the rights to Captain Blood and Lost Horizon.

Top Bottom