• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

XShagrath

For anyone that had the "bronzing" issue, I got my discs back today. Pretty damned quick turnaround, as they only received them on 12/24.

My affected titles were: The Seventh Seal, Walkabout, Pierrot le Fou, and Howard's End.

omgkitty

Cries and Whispers cover updated:

B7aVW_aCEAA2ZvI.jpg

Odd Man Out on my birthday with a gorgeous cover:

754_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Ridley327

I'm amazed they found a way to make that Cries & Whispers cover worse.

I've never seen Odd Man Out, but that cover is giving me them The Third Man feelings something fierce. That it stars James Mason is also a massive point in its favor of me blind-buying it.

New Cries and Whispers moves forwards and backwards, but I simply find it unnecessary because the cover's premise is uninteresting to begin with. So the cover feels worse because I feel as though Criterion over-reacted to what Criterion Forum and related minorities whined about. Seems like they're getting a conscience about covers now that a cover artbook's out for sale.

omgkitty

Not a fan of the old or new Sullivan's Travels art. I also just bought the Masters of Cinema La Silence De La Mer blu-ray like a month ago :|

All those Ozus are great, and it's especially interesting to see his filmmaking when directly inspired by Sternberg and Western crime films, which helps dispel the notion he's the "most Japanese."

Fuck yes, Sullivan's Travels. Redemption for a family member deleting it off my DVR!

And I was so close to buying The Friends of Eddie Coyle back when the recent B&N sale was going on, but then decided I wanted to read the book. Glad i held out!

cj_iwakura

Highly rated wherever I've gone, plenty are hyped even though Masters of Cinema's edition has been out for a while.

Melville's got a 1-1 with me at the moment. I love Le Samourai, but Le Cercle Rouge, not so much.

I'm going to watch Army of Shadows tomorrow and we'll see where that falls.

berzeli

Banned
How's Le Silence de La Mer?

Melville's got a 1-1 with me at the moment. I love Le Samourai, but Le Cercle Rouge, not so much.

I'm going to watch Army of Shadows tomorrow and we'll see where that falls.

Hmm. I mean I adore Melville's work so I obviously recommend watching it, but I would say if you end up not enjoying L'armée des ombres I don't think you'll enjoy Le Silence de la Mer. Also, a word of caution; Criterion absolutely botched their transfer of Le Cercle Rouge (too late to warn you for that one) and their L'armée des ombres transfer isn't much better.

omgkitty

So I'm thinking about finally picking up a region free blu-ray player. Not sure how I've gone this long without getting one, but I figure now is a good time. I just need something cheap that works and looks good. I don't have a crazy audio setup or anything like that, and I watch everything else on my PS3 / PS4. I saw this one recommended on the blu-ray.com forums: http://www.bombayelectronics.com/Or..._Blu_Ray_Player_p/or_bdpm1_regionfree_all.htm

It looks kinda cheap, and I've never heard of the brand, but it does have good reviews, and I guess it does what it needs to. Anyone else have any recommendations?

DiscoJon

Banned
Don't know if any of you have Costco stores close to where you live but occasionally they have Criterion Blu-Rays on sale.

Today I saw: Rashomon, 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita, Tootsie and a few others I can't remember.

$19.95 each.

I picked up My Darling Clementine from there last month.

cj_iwakura

Hmm. I mean I adore Melville's work so I obviously recommend watching it, but I would say if you end up not enjoying L'armée des ombres I don't think you'll enjoy Le Silence de la Mer. Also, a word of caution; Criterion absolutely botched their transfer of Le Cercle Rouge (too late to warn you for that one) and their L'armée des ombres transfer isn't much better.

I liked Army of Shadows. Didn't love it, but liked it. Very good acting and atmosphere. The transfer seemed pretty great, far as I could tell.

Also saw Blue is the Warmest Color. Boy I didn't expect it to be that depressing.

Yep, yesterday...haven't opened/watched yet. Maybe this weekend!

That fricking cover gave me nightmares as a kid.

Have any of you heard anything about bad batches of Zatoichi? Some of them don't always play on my new PS4, and I don't know if it's a Sony issue or a Criterion one.

Ridley327

Small little update on some upcoming Twilight Time releases:

-Both First Men in the Moon and the 4K remastered version of Journey to the Center of the Earth will have 5000 copies available.
-You may remember that Zardoz was originally announced as a February release, but it had to be pushed back to an as-yet undetermined date, as Fox is still working on the 4K master. Word is that will be part of the April lineup now, but isn't the promise of a pristine image of Sean Connery in a red diaper worth a little extra time?
-Twilight Time got their hands on two highly requested Jackie Chan films: Drunken Master and Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. They're apparently going to be based on the Japanese Blu-ray releases, so they'll be proper HD versions with the OAR and the original Cantonese mono audio tracks.

Guzim

-Twilight Time got their hands on two highly requested Jackie Chan films: Drunken Master and Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. They're apparently going to be based on the Japanese Blu-ray releases, so they'll be proper HD versions with the OAR and the original Cantonese mono audio tracks.

Holy shit, yes!!! Those are some of my favorite Jackie Chan films. Speaking of which, does anyone know how the Police Story blu-ray is?

big ander

cool kickstarter from Kino: Pioneers of African-American Cinema box set
Among the most fascinating chapters of film history is that of the so-called “race films” that flourished in the 1920s - ‘40s. Unlike the “black cast” films produced within the Hollywood studio (such as Stormy Weather or Green Pastures), these films not only starred African Americans but were funded, written, produced, directed, distributed, and often exhibited by people of color. Entrepreneurial filmmakers such as Oscar Micheaux, Spencer Williams, and Richard D. Maurice not only built an industry apart from the Hollywood establishment, they also cultivated visual and narrative styles that were uniquely their own. Defying convention and operating outside the studio system, these filmmakers were the forefathers (and -mothers) of the French New Wave, the L.A. Rebellion, and the entirety of American indie cinema. Anything but imitative, these Pioneers of African-American Cinema were purely innovative.

Renowned for its deluxe editions of masterpieces of world cinema, Kino Lorber will now pay tribute to the Pioneers of African-American Cinema with an ambitious four-disc collection. If the campaign achieves its primary goal, the series will include eight feature films and a variety of short films and fragments, a color booklet of photos and essays, and will be offered on Bluray and DVD. All films will be newly mastered in high definition from film elements preserved by the country’s leading film archives, including The Library of Congress, the National Archives, and the UCLA Film and Television Archive. Silent films will be accompanied by a variety of original music scores. Some soundtracks will have a more contemporary sound, encouraging the viewer to watch these films with a fresh perspective. For the sake of historical accuracy, each silent film will also include a traditional score intended to replicate the 1920s moviegoing experience.

Curated by film historians Charles Musser and Jacqueline Najuma Stewart, and presented by executive producer DJ Spooky, Pioneers of African-American Cinema will showcase not only the works of MIcheaux and Williams, but lesser-known filmmakers such as James and Eloyce Gist, as well as rarely-seen footage shot by writer Zora Neale Hurston. It will also include selections of “race films” made by white directors, such as Richard E. Norman and Frank Peregini. Without a doubt, it will be the most comprehensive collection of early African-American cinema ever assembled. The handsomely packaged collection will be released in February, 2016, to coincide with the celebration of Black History Month.

But such an ambitious undertaking cannot be achieved without your help. Your donation will support the composing and recording of music scores; the production of videotaped interviews with leading film and culture historians; and the publication of a booklet of artwork and newly-commissioned essays on the films.

Movies to include ELEVEN P.M., VERDICT NOT GUILTY (first film to have a black female director; Eloyce Gist codirected with husband James), Zora Neale Hurston's COMMANDMENT KEEPER CHURCH, and Oscar Micheaux's Chicago race riots film WITHIN OUR GATES.

Annoying thing is when Golden Harvest movies get more releases/upgrades compared to Shaw Brothers titles because Celestial has a policy of selling the whole SB catalogue, not one/two movies of interest.

Damn, I'd love to see a 1919 Michaeux film. Body and Soul wasn't good, but 'twas interesting. Good to see Arrow's Boro success is having an influence on Kino and Oscilloscope.

Ridley327

Finally, HD Society in the US!

I wonder when Criterion is going to get around to announcing their reissues for The Long Good Friday and Mona Lisa.

berzeli

Banned
Finally, HD Society in the US!

I wonder when Criterion is going to get around to announcing their reissues for The Long Good Friday and Mona Lisa.

I'm not 100% sure about the rights situation in the U.S, but it took Criterion about five months to release their version of Time Bandits (also an Arrow restoration of a HandMade film). They haven't announced a port of the Arrow restoration of Withnail & I either, so I would expect that before The Long Good Friday and Mona Lisa, unless there is some rights issue.

omgkitty

Just a heads up to everyone to start saving some money. It looks like there should be a Criterion sale on their website coming up in about a week or so. I was looking through my old orders on their site, and I've placed orders in the past on the 24th, 25th and 26th, all from half off sales. I knew there was always one around this time so I checked out my order history.

codhand

Just a heads up to everyone to start saving some money. It looks like there should be a Criterion sale on their website coming up in about a week or so. I was looking through my old orders on their site, and I've placed orders in the past on the 24th, 25th and 26th, all from half off sales. I knew there was always one around this time so I checked out my order history.

as always, you are an invaluable resource for our community

5ajbeWB.jpg

It's been said by Wenders himself that The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick will be part of Criterion's upcoming slate for his filmography...not sure how soon that'll arrive, either standalone or in a box. Right now, I could go for Iosseliani and Ann Hui movies, assuming one producer at Criterion would go for the rights to distribute those.

Kwixotik

Do any of y'all know of the director's cut of Cinema Paradiso being available digitally anywhere? I can't find it anywhere online and I don't want to have to wait for a copy to arrive in the mail. Also snowed in, so can't check the library.

Top Bottom