• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

big ander

I've also only seen Z but both a reading related to the film adn the prof that showed it to us attested to C-G's other films not being anywhere close to as good. if these pop up on hulu+ I might check one out though.

The Confession's up on Hulu+ and generally has good reviews, less the case for State of Siege. It's not ambiguous why Criterion's front-loading one edition over the other, since Yves Montand + Czechoslovakian political drama = neat cover and sales.

big ander

Oh dang, one of The Confession's features is an unreleased Chris Marker short. feels like Criterion's burying the lede there

swoon

Oh dang, one of The Confession's features is an unreleased Chris Marker short. feels like Criterion's burying the lede there

wow.

i think missing is fine, i don't care for the confession and haven't seen the other. criterion's logic behind what they market as box sets/double features vs stand alone is so weird to me.

Ridley327

The films were announced last year, but Severin Films finally uploaded the artwork for their upcoming Blu-ray releases of two of Jess Franco's most well-known films:

10522636_10155261157560038_6172660964299973711_n.jpg

10478235_10155264094800038_9174033858603262870_n.jpg

There is seriously no way to make Soledad Miranda look anything but beautiful.

Ridley327

Monthly reminder for Twilight Time's newest pre-orders going live today! Starting at 4PM EST, you'll have the chance to pre-order any one of the following titles:

-The Bounty
-Solomon and Sheba
-U Turn
-First Men in the Moon
-Journey to the Center of the Earth

Both First Men in the Moon and Journey to the Center of the Earth will be a 5000 copy run instead of the normal 3000.

cj_iwakura

Saw My Darling Clementine via a library rental(not the Criterion, but a pretty nice Fox release). Really enjoyed it. Definitely prefer the Pre-Release version, no contest.

Funny how according to the commentary, sounds like Tombstone is the most historically accurate of the many Earp flicks, since it doesn't end on the OK Corral fight.

Fjordson

Amazon has some Criterions on sale. Not a big sale, just some random stuff. Wes Andersons half off, Zatoichi for $120, etc.

I think I might pick up Zatoichi. Seems like a really neat set and I love me some samurai stuff. Big price tag, but eh.

Anyone in here have the box set? Is it worth it?

Guzim

can we talk about a real classic??

91e0fmIHRYL._SX522_.jpg

After seeing this post, I was going to ask how come the American Ninja series is not on blu-ray. I then found this: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15957

YES!!!

Amazon has some Criterions on sale. Not a big sale, just some random stuff. Wes Andersons half off, Zatoichi for $120, etc.

I think I might pick up Zatoichi. Seems like a really neat set and I love me some samurai stuff. Big price tag, but eh.

Anyone in here have the box set? Is it worth it?

I have the Zatoichi set, and it is awesome.

berzeli

Banned
Arrow video released their June slate:

US:
10952655_937182902982371_3956531110648862253_n.jpg

(already out in UK)

US & UK:
11046191_937183269649001_3609695307643653209_n.jpg

11041741_937184299648898_3350056238625339544_n.jpg

UK only:
1454626_937185692982092_1262694286486940321_n.jpg

11025124_937187682981893_1322175479770217554_n.jpg

Pretty decent.

They also announced that they would release "some key works" by Yoshishige Yoshida. No details on which films, when, or in which territories though.

Fjordson

I keep adding the Zatoichi set to my cart on Amazon. I probably shouldn't be spending $100+ on blu-rays, but I want it!

codhand

Just a heads up to everyone to start saving some money. It looks like there should be a Criterion sale on their website coming up in about a week or so. I was looking through my old orders on their site, and I've placed orders in the past on the 24th, 25th and 26th, all from half off sales. I knew there was always one around this time so I checked out my order history.

so, March hopefully?

XShagrath

I'll just hold my money until June/July when Barnes & Noble does their sale. 50% off isn't good enough for me anymore. I've already got $120 in free gift cards that I got in December that I've been holding for that sale.

omgkitty

Supposedly the Criterion site underwent some maintenance yesterday, and in the past this has happened right before a sale, so hopefully we'll see one today.

omgkitty

GO GO GO http://www.criterion.com/sale

I picked up:

The Sword of Doom
The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
My Winnipeg
Every Man for Himself
Don't Look Now
An Autumn Afternoon
Fellini Satyricon
Watership Down
The Soft Skin
Lola Montes
Black Narcissus

Thank you bonus!

Zatoichi for $112. Tough to pass up...really want to...
It'll last you for a few months(or at least it did for me) More than worth it for the fun films and incredible presentation.

I ordered
City Lights
Don't Look Now
Every Man for Himself
Judex
My Winnipeg
The Night Porter
Persona
Safe
Satyricon
Watership Down

Barnes and Noble membership will make these 18 in July but the lack of tax makes up for that. Although you usually can find a nice coupon for the bigger sets to remove an extra chunk. Had 20 dollars in gift certificates too from the mycriterion promotion they did years ago.

overcast

I might just wait until July and buy 4-5 titles. Don't need to spend more money.

I have a B&N membership and coupons will come out around that time. Don't Look Now almost got me today.

Fjordson

What's stopped me is knowing all of the films are on Hulu.
That is pretty dope, but I've never been a digital guy with movies for whatever reason. At least not yet. I do it with games and lately almost all of my music, but with movies I still enjoy blu-rays at home.

YES!

L'Avventura
L'Eclisse
Watership Down
Nice choices. L'Avventura is one of my favourite Criterions.

XShagrath

Barnes and Noble membership will make these 18 in July but the lack of tax makes up for that. Although you usually can find a nice coupon for the bigger sets to remove an extra chunk. Had 20 dollars in gift certificates too from the mycriterion promotion they did years ago.

At a minimum, you should be able to use the "$5 off $50" coupon once. That brings 'em down to $16.33 + tax for a group of three. If you've got multiple stores in your area or just go back to multiple cashiers, you can usually use it a bunch. Or if you've got a nice working relationship with one of the managers, you could probably use that multiple times off one visit. Even with sales tax, that puts it less than this sale straight from Criterion.

I would assume the only real reason to participate in this sale is if you need the titles right now, or possibly if you're international and Criterion has better shipping rates than B&N.

The Zatoichis look good on Hulu, as do most of the Criterion transfers, but there's reason enough to get the box for its exclusive transfers (the Hulu versions have been up since before the box was announced).

At a minimum, you should be able to use the "$5 off $50" coupon once. That brings 'em down to $16.33 + tax for a group of three. If you've got multiple stores in your area or just go back to multiple cashiers, you can usually use it a bunch. Or if you've got a nice working relationship with one of the managers, you could probably use that multiple times off one visit. Even with sales tax, that puts it less than this sale straight from Criterion.

I would assume the only real reason to participate in this sale is if you need the titles right now, or possibly if you're international and Criterion has better shipping rates than B&N.
My local barnes and noble cut down on the coupon reusage completely. All of their staff are told to accept only 1 and they get a manager if you try to find another cashier. Is pretty crazy.

At the end of the day a few dollars difference isn't really a big deal. And if you're driving from store to store it's going to cost more in gas than the discount you get, lol.

Fjordson

The Zatoichis look good on Hulu, as do most of the Criterion transfers, but there's reason enough to get the box for its exclusive transfers (the Hulu versions have been up since before the box was announced).
And I love the packaging and the book seems kinda neat. I'm just a sucker for physical blu-rays still.

XShagrath

My local barnes and noble cut down on the coupon reusage completely. All of their staff are told to accept only 1 and they get a manager if you try to find another cashier. Is pretty crazy.
That sucks. I wish that they'd make a decision at the corporate level as to how they wanted to handle coupons. Of course, I really enjoy the fact that I can use a coupon 50+ times, but it sucks for people that get looked at like thieves and scammers for even trying to use a coupon just once.

cj_iwakura

I watched Two-Lane Blacktop last night.

Stripped down is definitely an accurate descriptor. Loved some of the dialogue, but overall, I think it kind of sailed over my head.

Great look at 70s America, all the same.

It Happened One Night is out of stock and Friends of Eddie Coyle isn't out yet....I guess I will be passing on this sale. I just hope Criterion does some Blu upgrades to some of their Kurosawa films this year. :(

Getting The Complete Mr. Arkadin, Science is Fiction, and Before the Rain. I shouldn't have to upgrade the latter, but if the former gets a Blu I'll be on that at some point.

Top Bottom