• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Curious Case of the Switch Foxconn Leak (Now a hardware fanfiction thread)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Looking through the videos from family games.. And something really struck me as odd.. Does this game have like no background theme music?..

The audio design is very minimalistic; there's a bigger emphasis on environmental sounds than a soundtrack when exploring. That said, we have heard various melodies pop up in broken, scattered, and more traditional ways, so it remains to be seen what the overall balance of the sounds and music will be.

matthewuk

I wonder, If the switch has just the 4x A57s and not the 4x A53s as well,have they just disabled them or could they have saved the silicon for something else?

z0m3le

Banned
I wonder, If the switch has just the 4x A57s and not the 4x A53s as well,have they just disabled them or could they have saved the silicon for something else?

No one has come out and even rumored what final hardware configuration is, except this Foxconn leak. Even then, all we got was A7X 16nm and 4GB RAM, with much higher cpu clocks than summer, early fall devkits.

We do know that final hardware increased performance noticeably.

Eolz

ComputerBild opened up a Switch
Nintendo-Switch-Preis-Spiele-News-Hardware-Release-Test-alle-Infos-1024x576-a3c1273130d8ba8e.jpg

Buzzi

Ein Bit bitte!

Any Deutsch gaffer around to translate?

I asked a german friend of mine and he said that

Interessant: Der Grafikchip, offenbar ein Tegra X2, nutzt die Pascal-Architektur aktueller Grafikkartenmodelle. Er kommt Schätzungen zufolge auf die solide Leistungsfähigkeit einer Geforce GTX 1050

Translates (not surprisingly) to:
-X2 chip
-Pascal architecture
-near 1050 power levels

Which...looks bullshit as hell.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Rodin

-X2 chip
-Pascal architecture
-near 1050 power levels

Because it is, just like the following complaints about the screen having half ppi of some phones

-X2 chip
-Pascal architecture
-near 1050 power levels

Yes that would be bullshit not only because it's too good to be true but because it's doubtful they would know any of that just by taking the casing off. EDIT: hah the 1050 has 640 CUDA cores, there's absolutely no way this can reach those levels even in FP16.

I don't know, they posted a (mirrored) embargo + small UI tour (also on the TV screen) on their Facebook page too

https://www.facebook.com/COMPUTERBILD/videos/10155112422182835/

There are two possibilities here:

1) Unboxing embargoes ended yesterday
2) They just don't care at all

Why do I believe the latter is far more credible :lol

Agreed, 2 makes more sense here. Maybe they didn't sign an embargo but some anonymous member of the media is sending them pictures.

Hermii

-X2 chip
-Pascal architecture
-near 1050 power levels

There is no such thing as a fucking x2, there is x1 and Parker. And unless these people have X-ray vision they wouldn't know that stuff.

EDarkness

There is no such thing as a fucking x2, there is x1 and Parker. And unless these people have X-ray vision they wouldn't know that stuff.

I don't know if what they've said is true or not, but they have ONE major advantage that we don't...they actually have the system and we can see that they opened it up. We don't know how far they went from there, either. Odds are they went further, but didn't post any pictures. What they found, we don't know. Truthfully, I'm on the side of their claim being BS, but they have the machine in front of them and we don't....

So, when can we expect any news if the Switch soc is 16nm or 20nm? Is it possible to get that information just by opening up the switch? I remember in 2012 being disappointed that there were no specs when the Wii U released.

I know that it's easy to yell "BULLSHIT!!!" to everything, but they seem to have the Switch. Unless their pics are from another source. Anyone found them anywhere else (Reddit etc.)?

IF they have the kit and IF they've actually opened it and IF they know what's inside, Switch seems to be a pretty awesome little thing. IF IF IF.

I'll remain neutral until the article is proven false. I don't know enough about the Switch to confidently say anything about it's performance. I'd advice anyone else to use caution with strong words too.

I'm happy with the Switch's performance anyway, I just want a mobile console with great games.

Using G trans to translate the article to English seems to give a decent translation. Didn't read everything, only HW related stuff.

Question about the article:

Is there a possibility that they say Tegra 2 because of the customisation Tegra has gone through?

I don't know if what they've said is true or not, but they have ONE major advantage that we don't...they actually have the system and we can see that they opened it up. We don't know how far they went from there, either. Odds are they went further, but didn't post any pictures. What they found, we don't know. Truthfully, I'm on the side of their claim being BS, but they have the machine in front of them and we don't....

If they had done a teardown I think they would have given a bit more information rather than just "X2" and "close to 1050". It's very likely just BS.

A Pascal Tegra is under no scenario close to a 1050. That makes the one writing that quite ignorant.

The only thing I can think of is them either knowing or assuming it's Pascal based, then equating that to the Drive PX2 which I think is still the only Pascal based Tegra out there, which could be somewhat close to 1050 performance. Otherwise they're just spouting bullshit with absolutely no knowledge of what they're talking about.

EDarkness

If they had done a teardown I think they would have given a bit more information rather than just "X2" and "close to 1050". It's very likely just BS.

The only thing I can think of is them either knowing or assuming it's Pascal based, then equating that to the Drive PX2 which I think is still the only Pascal based Tegra out there, which could be somewhat close to 1050 performance. Otherwise they're just spouting bullshit with absolutely no knowledge of what they're talking about.

Well, we don't know how much they actually want to show. They can open things up and not show pictures and they don't really have to, to be honest. They have the system and we don't. There could be an NDA or something they have to deal with, too. Either way, I think they're making some crap up, but they do have an advantage we don't and so I think we shouldn't be so fast to call them out when they have access and we don't.

Well, we don't know how much they actually want to show. They can open things up and not show pictures and they don't really have to, to be honest. They have the system and we don't. There could be an NDA or something they have to deal with, too. Either way, I think they're making some crap up, but they do have an advantage we don't and so I think we shouldn't be so fast to call them out when they have access and we don't.

The standard embargo forbids any press from showing their Switch unit out of the box, so they've clearly already violated it (whoever took that picture anyway). Just calling it X2 when X2 is not even a thing and somehow tying that to 1050, which, quite frankly is probably literally impossible in this form factor, says to me they have not actually analyzed the components inside in any meaningful way.

They may know more than we do but let's not get our hopes up based on this, it's very, very likely BS.

Hermii

The standard embargo forbids any press from showing their Switch unit out of the box, so they've clearly already violated it (whoever took that picture anyway). Just calling it X2 when X2 is not even a thing and somehow tying that to 1050, which, quite frankly is probably literally impossible in this form factor, says to me they have not actually analyzed the components inside in any meaningful way.

They may know more than we do but let's not get our hopes up based on this, it's very, very likely BS.
It's guaranteed bullshit because an x2 doesn't exist. They could have said it has Parker features like double bus width.

Zedark

It's guaranteed bullshit because an x2 doesn't exist. They could have said it has Parker features like double bus width.

Hmm, I wouldn't be that dismissive of the X2 terminology. Digital Foundry use it as well, in their specs leak video from way back when. It seems to be more common in usage than you give it credit for in the specs-oriented journalist circles.

Yeah no 1050 gets 1080p 80 fps on Overwatch.

I mean, a 1050 at ~1GHz would be as powerful as a PS4. That's not happening. Snake Pass is proof of that even.

Edit: actually it would be 984GFLOPS at the Eurogamer clocks. ~400GFLOPS undocked. I guess that's not as ridiculous as I thought, though again, this would be at the very low Eurogamer clocks. Still seems like bullshit.

ksamedi

I speak some German and from what I understand is they are basing the specs on the leaked dev kit documentation. Then they make a guess and say its close to 1050. They even link to a GAF thread for the leaked documents

This is what Google translate says:

In a web forum , however, documents piled up already provide numerous technical basic data. Whether the documents are authentic can be difficult to determine until the precious goods are unscrewed. If the information proves to be correct, the Switch will sleep under the hood of the Switch among other things:

[devkit spec leak]

[picture of opened up Switch]

Interesting: The graphics chip, obviously a Tegra X2, uses the Pascal architecture of current graphics card models. He is estimated to be based on the solid performance of a Geforce GTX 1050 . This puts the SwitchSonic's PlayStation 4 Pro and the Xbox One S on the paper.

I have no idea what they actually mean by any of this but it's best to assume they have no more info than we do about the specs.

Zedark

I speak some German and from what I understand is they are basing the specs on the leaked dev kit documentation. Then they make a guess and say its close to 1050. They even link to a GAF thread for the leaked documents

They do take the, in that context, rather bizarre step of ignoring the direct mention of Maxwell architecture and saying it is Pascal, though. Either they didn't actually read the specs they put up in the article or the Pascal thing is their own finding (or alternatively something with (even) less integrity).

Thraktor

Just FYI, the 3DS version of download play doesn't actually run from RAM. The download play title actually gets temporarily installed to system memory (source). I suspect Switch will be similar if it supports the feature.

That's interesting. I suppose it makes sense to store the most recently played download-play game, as it saves people from having to download it again, and users are unlikely to swap back and forth too often between download play games. I wonder if part of Switch's reserved flash memory is set aside for this.

Not sure if this has been asked already, but what can we discern about the Switch's GPU/CPU etc from a tear down?

There are a few different "degrees" of tear-down that could tell us different things. The first is the only one that's actually a tear-down, the other two are die analysis.

1. Standard Tear-Down - A disassembly of all components, revealing lots of ICs and product codes. iFixit will have one of these (usually only a few days after launch), and they do a very good job, with high quality photos of every component. The most immediate info we can gain from this is the RAM quantity, bus width and speed, from reading the product code on the RAM module(s). We'll also get to see how large the main SoC die is, but not much else about it. We'll also see some other interesting stuff, such as how the cooling system works and just generally what all the insides of the Switch (and controllers) look like.
  2. SoC Die Photo - This would either require Chipworks, or an intrepid individual who has a good camera and macro lens and is willing to spend hours carefully sanding the die down. This would likely tell us the GPU configuration (i.e. number of SMs) and the number of CPU cores, and possibly if there are any additional large memory pools on-die, as with Wii U and 3DS. It's unlikely that we would be able to tell exactly what CPU cores are used, or if there are any changes to the GPU. This would be most useful if we also had a TX1 die photo to compare against (which, afaik, we don't), as it would allow us to quickly identify the differences, and possibly alert us to any changes to the CPU, GPU or the memory subsystems, or anything else they might have changed. This won't, however, tell us what manufacturing process is being used (i.e. 20nm/16nm), as both have almost identical transistor densities. For that we need:
  3. SoC Cross-Section Photo - This is beyond the realm of home tinkerers, and would require someone with a scanning electron microscope (i.e. Chipworks) to cut the die down the middle and then analyse the cross-section to determine whether it's 20nm or 16nm by checking for finfet gates.

It's a shame that they didn't go any further (or didn't show any photos of it, if they did). It just seems like a tease to leave it at that.

That said, it is a bit interesting that the fan is so close to the vent on top of the Switch, I would have assumed more space there to accommodate cooling fins.

It's worth keeping in mind that, prior to their discussion of specs, they wrote this (Google translated):

However, documents that have been popped up in an Internet forum already provide numerous technical basic data. Whether the documents are authentic can be difficult to determine until the precious goods are unscrewed. If the information proves to be correct, the Switch will sleep under the hood of the Switch among other things:

The words "internet forum" link to NeoGAF (although not this thread, sadly, as that would have been pretty amusing). They're getting their info from us, so I definitely wouldn't read too much info into "X2" or "GTX1050".

Bonk

I am German and that sounds a little strange. They are speaking of Tegra X2 and list 2nd generation maxwell in their system specs. I would not put much weight in their "findings".

Bild is the biggest tabloid newspaper in Germany (like the Sun in the U.K.) still some of their departments are well informed. Can't speak about the games department though...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The article is a bunch of info and speculations put together. And it contradicts itself. They talk about the rumoured specs with a Maxwell and then go on saying that the SoC is as expected a X2 (although they just listed the expected - a Maxwell). The comparing a Pascal based Tegra with a 1050.

It's like someone took a bunch of info from google searches and put them together in one article.

Interesting..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1345285

Capcom asked Nintendo for more memory space, and they delivered. How much, who knows?

About main memory space, Capcom had told Nintendo that the initially planned space wasn't enough. If you are comparing to what's inside other current-gen systems, it definitely wouldn't be enough. In the end, Capcom's request was accepted and the memory capacity became as per to their expectation.

also another interesting tidbit:

Another part of the session was about issues to examine for the future. Since Switch's SOC power consumption takes a bigger toll on the GPU than the CPU, Capcom asked Nintendo about implementing a feature to adjust the GPU clock corresponding on scenes (note: this is a development term), but Nintendo said that even if you lower the clock, the overall processing time will be longer and it won't necessarily give an advantage in the end.

Finally, Capcom is looking into having the RE Engine, made specifically for Resident Evil 7 (and likely to be used in future titles) to be compatible with Switch. The company also wants to develop AAA titles for the platform.

that neogaf thread that was posted right before 7am today links to nintendoeverything article.
Read the full jump here:
http://nintendoeverything.com/switc...kit-capcom-wants-to-make-aaa-games-much-more/

Nintendo did mention the Wii U's RAM before launch, but haven't yet for Switch, which is strange. I wonder if we'll get 4GB as the rumors have claimed, or more..Maybe its not main RAM and storage RAM, but 32GB is garbage even for the wii u?.Who knows. I really don't want to hype myself too much. Or

Hermii

Interesting..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1345285

Capcom asked Nintendo for more memory space, and they delivered. How much, who knows?

About main memory space, Capcom had told Nintendo that the initially planned space wasn't enough. If you are comparing to what's inside other current-gen systems, it definitely wouldn't be enough. In the end, Capcom's request was accepted and the memory capacity became as per to their expectation.

that neogaf thread that was posted right before 7am today links to nintendoeverything article.
Read the full jump here:
http://nintendoeverything.com/switc...kit-capcom-wants-to-make-aaa-games-much-more/

Nintendo did mention the Wii U's RAM before launch, but haven't yet for Switch, which is strange. I wonder if we'll get 4GB as the rumors have claimed, or more..Maybe its not main RAM and storage RAM, but 32GB is garbage even for the wii u?.Who knows. I really don't want to hype myself too much. Or

Theory 1:

There is actually 6 gigs in the final units. 6 - 0.75 = 5.25 which would be on par or better than current gen.

Theory 2:

Nintendo actually wanted 2 gigs.

Edit:

Theory 3: Nintendo wanted 3 gigs. I was thinking it could only be 2 or 4, but there are tablets with 3 including the pixel c I think. I suppose also 5 would be possible?

If Nintendo planned the Switch to be around X1 specs, then Switch is anywhere between 4-5x as powerful as the Wii U(based on eurogamer or foxconn leaks). Why would Nintendo want to have the same amount of RAM(even though its faster than Wii U's) as the Wii U when everything else is far more disporportionally powerful? It would be their main bottleneck. Nintendo is usually good with the RAM. It doesn't make sense to me. Especially if its based off a custom X1. I guess we don't know when CAPCOM requested this.. Because if we did we could, we could almost pinpoint it. We know at least that Dev kits in july had 4GB of RAM. This is assuming all that info is true. Though I remember Emily Rogers saying final retail kits would have 4GB of RAM, and this was back in October.

Like I said.. It is a bit strange Nintendo hasn't given the RAM specs before launch, like he they did with the Wii U. Of course this doesn't confirm anything.. Gotta keep expectations low... 6GB of RAM would be a dream.

opricnik

Banned
I mean, a 1050 at ~1GHz would be as powerful as a PS4. That's not happening. Snake Pass is proof of that even.

Edit: actually it would be 984GFLOPS at the Eurogamer clocks. ~400GFLOPS undocked. I guess that's not as ridiculous as I thought, though again, this would be at the very low Eurogamer clocks. Still seems like bullshit.

Switch isn't 1TF docked dude you are interesting numbers wrong.It is more like 193 GFlops non docked, 393 docked.

need to double check on that but i remember these . if it was 1TF it would be very near to xbox one

Hermii

Switch isn't 1TF docked dude you are interesting numbers wrong.It is more like 193 GFlops non docked, 393 docked.

need to double check on that but i remember these . if it was 1TF it would be very near to xbox one
If it's a standard x1 at eurogamer clock speeds that is correct. There is some doubt about that, however it still seems most likely to me.

I'm talking about if it has 640 CUDA cores like a 1050 does, hence me saying it's likely bullshit.

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm talking about if it has 640 CUDA cores like a 1050 does, hence me saying it's likely bullshit.

Well if the GPU runs at 768mhz that is basically half the speed and probably wattage of a 1050 and running in portable mode would use even less juice. But it still sounds BS

Well if the GPU runs at 768mhz that is basically half the speed and probably wattage of a 1050 and running in portable mode would use even less juice. But it still sounds BS

Right, all I was doing with my post was calculating the flops it would be if it actually has the core configuration of a 1050, aka 640 CUDA cores (according to google anyway). Which would be 984GFLOPS at 786MHz (Eurogamer's docked mode) and 392GFLOPS at 307MHz (Eurogamer's handheld mode).

Not that I believe this is the case (in fact I'm fairly sure it's not) but that's what the numbers would be if the article's report was at least partially accurate. Which it seems not to be since they've now removed all of that.

Top Bottom