• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dairy Queen Blizzard Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So I noticed that the blizzard's 20 year anniversary is upon us. I honestly don't remember the introduction of the blizzard, as I am only 17 years old. However, for as long as I can remember, I've loved the Blizzards at Dairy Queen.

Unfortunately, two of my favorite flavors, the Nestle Crunch Bar and Whopper Candy blizzards, are no longer in production (damn it.). I still go to dairy queen quite often to get an M&M or an Oreo blizzard, however.

The taste of DQ's Soft Serve blended with a delicious candy treat... it's one of the greatest joys of life. :)

From http://www.blizzardfanclub.com/history.cfm ...

"History of the Blizzard®
A Blizzard-like product was in the DQ® system since the early 1950s. But it was a very loose affiliation of franchisees back then and the idea struggled. At that time it was a shake with less milk. They tried no milk at all...just soft serve and fruit topping. Though customers lliked it, it was extra work and the shake was too thick. Franchisees got tired of burning out mixers, so it just faded away.

Fast forward 35 years and we began seeing independent ice cream shops that were mixing slabs of hard ice cream with candy. In St. Louis, one of our entrepreneurs added milk and blended everything together (spring of 1984). The idea traveled to Minneapolis and we knew it was a very big idea and we could market it nationally.

We needed to determine how thick the product needed to be, whether we would add milk (we decided no milk) or add candy...we originally decided no candy. A name? We tried the Concrete Blizzard. It didn't perform well with consumers. We pulled the product and started over again.

After two DQ franchisees developed a high-powered mixer, we looked at the product once more and determined that by adding branded candy we would have instant equity at no charge. We approached Heath, who bought a candy crusher and supplied DQ stores with bags of Heath bar bits. Soon, their Illinois plant went to capacity, crushing Heath candy bars 24 hours a day.

Oreo® originally told us we were crazy. Mars® said they would never alter their product (M&Ms). However, Hydrox® cookies said "yes."

By the end of 1985, Oreo and Mars changed their minds and signed up but none of them wanted to crush the product, so our operators did it themselves. However, that was too labor intensive. We accidentally created a cottage industry of candy and cookie crushers.

Though the product was introduced to franchisees at our 1984 DQ convention in Hawaii, it went into brief test market in the winter of 1984-85 and was officially launched in the spring of 1985. It was available in 10, 16 and 24 ounce cups. It was served upsidedown with a spoon on the side.

The Blizzard Flavor Treat became an overnight sensation.

On May 2, 1985 the DQ system launched a network TV campaign for the Blizzard treat, combining the power of TV, the brand equity of Oreo, Mars and the like and the allure of DQ soft serve. We sold more than 75 million Blizzard Flavor Treats that first year.

Fun Facts about the Blizzard Flavor Treat

Since its introduction in 1985, more than 75 Blizzard Flavors have been introduced by the Dairy Queen® system.

Most popular flavors: Oreo Cookie, Chocolate Chip cookie dough; M&Ms; Reese's Peanut Butter Cup; Butterfinger

The largest Blizzard ever made: July 1, 1999 in Chicopee, Mass. The DQ operator made the Guinness Book of World Records for the largest frozen blended treat. The product was: 22 feet high and 7 feet in diameter. It took 1,070 lbs of Oreo cookies to make and weighed 7,000 lbs.

In August, 2002, a man coined "the DQ Blizzard Guy" completed his goal of eating a Blizzard Flavor Treat in every state with a visit to a Dairy Queen restaurant in Alaska for his 50th Blizzard treat.

1985 Fun Facts

A U.S. Stamp cost 22 cents
Ronald Reagan took oath for second term as president
The #1 song was "I Want To Know What Love Is" by Foreigner
"Back to the Future" was the top grossing film
Most popular television show was "The Cosby Show"
The average price of a 16 oz. Blizzard Treat was $1.39

Blizzard Flavor History

1985 - Year Introduced

Butterfinger Bar
Heath Bar
Reese's Pieces Candy
M&M's Candy
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies (Oreo, Droxie)
Peanut Butter Crunch
German Chocolate
Banana Split
Chocolate Chip
Hawaiian
Tropical
Turtlettes (Pecan Cluster)
Macaroon
Chocolate Covered Cherries
Banana Pudding
Standard Toppings (Chocolate, Hot Fudge, Strawberry, Butterscotch or Pineapple)

Whoppers® Candy
Snickers® Bar
Peanut Buster
Featured: Cherry, Strawberry, Blueberry

M&M®'s Peanut Candy
Nestle® Crunch Bar
Nerds® Candy — Orange, Strawberry, Cherry
Golden Grahams®
Cinnamon Toast Crunch®

Mint Chocolate Cookie
Ginger Snaps
Apple Crunch
Pecan Praline
Rainbow Nerds® Candy

Reese's® Peanut Butter Cup

Egg Nog
Strawberry Banana
Irish Mint
Peach
Raspberry
Pumpkin Pie

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Mud Pie
Rocky Road

Cheesecake
Fudge Pecan Brownie
Peanut Butter and Jelly

Chocolate Almond
Pecan Crunch
Walnut Fudge

Mint M&M®'s
Fudge Oreo®
Cappuccino Heath®

Mint Oreo
Nutty Butterfinger
Berry Banana with Vienna Fingers

Georgia Mud Fudge®
Yukon Cruncher®
Whopp'N Wild®

Grape Kool-Aid® Explosion
Mocha Chip with Nescafe®
Baby Ruth®

**Blizzard of the Month program introduced in July
Mocha Chip
Yule Flip Peppermint Chip
All-American (Red White and Blue M&Ms)
Chocolate Xtreme

Choco Cherry LoveTM
Mint Oreo®
Keebler® Fudge Stripe
Peanut Butter Oreo®
Strawberry CheeseQuakeTM
Holidazzle M&M®'s
Cotton Candy
Bubble Gum
Caramel Apple PopTM
Twix® or Treat

CheeseQuakeTM Line — Strawberry, Toffee and Oreo
Chocolate French Silk Pie
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
Brownie Batter
Puckerberry

"

Express your love for the Blizzard here. :)

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I love me some Blizzards. My favorite cheat food.
I gotta go with Skor as my favorite flavour. I've never really been into the unique ones that they do. I like Oreo as well but Skor just never gets old.

How many calories in a Blizzard?
Way too many. I don't even want to know. :)

The oreo blizzard is king of all blizzards imo. I don't have them often .... I haven't had one during 05 yet, but they're grrrrrrreat.

... On a completely unrelated note, I wonder how a Frosted Flakes Blizzard would taste.

Edit: If 675 Cal is for a small, do I even want to know what a large is? Glad we got that cleared up. So note to self: if you have a large blizzard, eat very little for rest of the day.

Desperado

ManDudeChild said:
The oreo blizzard is king of all blizzards imo. I don't have them often .... I haven't had one during 05 yet, but they're grrrrrrreat.

... On a completely unrelated note, I wonder how a Frosted Flakes Blizzard would taste.

GRRRREAT

Meier

Blizzards are amazing.. havent had one in years sadly. The Heath and Butterfinger varieties are heavenly. :D

Blizzard is great, but McDonalds has more cream content in their ice cream, so a McFlurry tends to taste better. Blizzards are still better, more flavours, bigger, mmmmm

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
God's Hand said:
Blizzard is great, but McDonalds has more cream content in their ice cream, so a McFlurry tends to taste better. Blizzards are still better, more flavours, bigger, mmmmm
who the FUCK goes to McDonalds for ICE CREAM? That's like going to Dairy Queen for a Chicken Strip basket or something!

negitoro7

The DQ near my house doesn't make the Blizzards frozen enough anymore. They turn it upside down for 5 miliseconds cause they know it will pour out soon after.

Haven't had a decent blizzard for quite a while now (at other locations).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom