• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Eye: Satinavs Ketten | So that's how HD 2d adventures can look

Radogol

Click for larger images.

It's based on Das Schwarze Auge RPG system (Drakensang).

Can German-GAF give us more info about the game?

Noogy

There's nothing more beautiful on an HD system than good hand-painted art. Would love to see it in motion.

Ceebs

If they bother to give it an English release they have my cash. (Unless it's deemed 100% pure awful by the Germans)

Boerseun

Banned
Brilliant!

This is what Sierra games would look like now had the original company survived.

EDIT: What's with the thread title? This is not a console game. Point and click adventure games have been in HD since the nineties.

Moonstone

Story starts in Andergast which is a small kingdom in the woods in the DSA setting.

It is about a crow plague that has befallen Andergast and those crows are rumored to cause nightmares. You are Geron a a trapper and an very unlucksy person as he was cursed as kid. He is ordered to clean the Kings Palace from the crows and that leads to a great adventure traveling to the borders of aventuria (the DSA continent which includes several different settings) and beyond it. One known setting is the orklands.

Geron is a magic user but non skilled, he will have only one spell.

Satinav is the god who controls the time, so maybe there will be time travel.
Satinavs Ketten (chains) are two lines of powerful temporal magic that cross the whole continent.

English title shoudl be "Chains of Satinav".

Edit: There will be no dice rolling or RPG elements in this game.
And there will be (temporal) followers which will have unique abilities.
HD Versions of the screenshots:

dsa_satinavsketten_screenshot_01.png

dsa_satinavsketten_screenshot_02.png

Morokh

the pictures aren't even HD -_-
and you don't need anything related to anything 'HD' to draw such detailed graphics. (and in this case is just does'nt mean anything ..)

but it sure looks nice :p

epmode

Best genre ever. It's just sad that so few native English speakers are writing modern adventure games since the translations are usually pretty poor. And writing is EVERYTHING for these games.

Morokh

Durante said:
720p isn't HD now?

1 280 x 720 pixels pictures from a PC game call it what you want, it's far from impressive in that regard.

edit : and someone uplaods the real HD pictures just when I post this ! damn you ! :D

Noogy said:
Would love to see it in motion.
I hope it doesn't have the same problem as the last 2D adventures by Daedalic Entertainment (Whispered World and A New Beginning): great backgrounds and horrible character animations.

Radogol

Boerseun said:
EDIT: What's with the thread title? This is not a console game. Point and click adventure games have been in HD since the nineties.

The title was typed in super fast because I clicked submit too soon and had to put something there before it became non-editable (for a short while it was "So that").

However, wait what? Since the nineties? 640x400 isn't HD.

Morokh said:
and you don't need anything related to anything 'HD' to draw such detailed graphics. (and in this case is just does'nt mean anything ..)

U R MR DUMB. You don't need HD to draw, you need HD to display the graphics with all the detail.

Salz01

Living in America, will I ever get to play this type of 2D candy? I want more games like this? Who the fuck do I have to tell in order to get this? The last great 2D HD I got to play was the Monkey Island 2

snap0212

Salz01 said:
Living in America, will I ever get to play this type of 2D candy? I want more games like this? Who the fuck do I have to tell in order to get this? The last great 2D HD I got to play was the Monkey Island 2
They've yet to confirm an english version of the game, but they've said the game won't be exclusive to Germany, Austria and Switzerland. That means they'll have to translate it...

Haunted

Looks great. Question with these games (Whispered World being another one with outstanding art) is whether the animation can live up to the standard of the background art.

Too bad I'm not a big Das Schwarze Auge fan.

moozoom

I remember buying the paper version of the "Dark Eye" Role Playing Game when I was a kid. It was a fantasy Rpg for beginners that was easier to learn and play than most of the games at the times (AD&D, Middle earth, Runequest etc...)

I didn't know Drakensang was based based on this system...

I like the backgrounds, but the smooth characters seem pasted on because they aren't painted with the same amount of details... I hope the animation is good, especially on the main character.

Moonstone

snap0212 said:
They've yet to confirm an english version of the game, but they've said the game won't be exclusive to Germany, Austria and Switzerland. That means they'll have to translate it...

The english version is confirmed, maybe not officially, but the daedalic PR guy said it in a forums post.

Radogol

malingenie said:
I'm with haunted, animations have a lot on their shoulders if they are going to keep up with the art.

With that level of detail, I'm afraid the characters are going to be puppeteered. I'd love to be wrong, though!

PokéKong

Gorgeous. If I were directing around a character in that exact environment, I wouldn't really care if he were some crumby polygon model that hardly matches up at all.
And on that note, I'd like to say I had to look at the second picture before I realized there was supposed to be a player character standing smack dab in the middle of the first one. They would definitely need to fix up those colors to give him some contrast.

Gunpriest

Neo Member
The game will be released on march 23rd. This is how the collector's edition looks like.

71oWlbqppqL._AA1000_.jpg

Content of the Collector’s Editon:
Leather journal of the fairy researcher
Manual incl. gameguide and artbook
Soundtrack CD
Developers Diary
Making-Of on CD-ROM
5 Charactersheets
Doublesided Poster

The price tag is 59,99 € for the CE and 36,99€ for the standard version. The game uses steam.

Teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF4tXC9KAGQ

Hands-on video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67QwdDBgeWY
PLEASE NOTE: The framerate of the captured material sucks because the preview version was giving the capture software major problems! The final product runs smoother!

Product website (german): http://satinavsketten.de/

I preordered the CE. This looks too nice to let it pass and i love a good adventure. Going to play it on my 55" HDTV :D

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The 3D characters seem to fit pretty well in their surroundings during "gameplay" but having awkwardly simplistic animation in the cut scenes where they're all 2D makes it look very awkward and incosistent... It would be better with in game cut scenes only...

Edit: I guess I got it all wrong from this part and others in the teaser, skimming the gameplay footage it looks all 2D... I dunno.

Anyway, I really hope it delivers outside the visuals.

Atolm

Hopefully FX Interactive will pick up this and release it here in Spain, so far they have released everything from The Dark Eye even before the US/UK releases.

eXistor

Sure it looks pretty, but the games themselves are usually pretty shitty. Bad dialogue, uninteresting characters and lame puzzles galore. I had high hopes for games like the Whispered World and The Next Big Thing, but they all let me down. I've found the best modern PnC adventures to be the more indie titles like Gemini Rue or the Chzo Mythos games. These games live or die by the quality of the writing, that's why I'm so excited for DFA.

ArjanN

Sure it looks pretty, but the games themselves are usually pretty shitty. Bad dialogue, uninteresting characters and lame puzzles galore. I had high hopes for games like the Whispered World and The Next Big Thing, but they all let me down. I've found the best modern PnC adventures to be the more indie titles like Gemini Rue or the Chzo Mythos games. These games live or die by the quality of the writing, that's why I'm so excited for DFA.

I more or less agree with this, altough I thought Yesterday was pretty good.

I'd say these are also pretty much "indie" games as well though compared to your average modern game. There's not much difference technically between this or Gemini Rue except for the artwork being better/more hi-res.

This looks amazing in screenshots but the animation can't keep up at all, like their other games IMO.

How did I missed this ??????

I'm in a point n click mood, justs finished Gemini rue, Monkey Island 1 and 2 remake, Broken Sword 1 and 2...

EDIT : Not on steam ??

Schlomo

How is the English version out and not the German one?

I finished Whispered World yesterday and boy does it look pretty. Puzzles could be better though. I hope they have improved in that department.

So now paintings are playable?

Here's a free game idea for you devs. A mini game collection with a museum working as a hub where you play thematic driven mini games in each painting. It seems doable now.

Been playing this over the weekend, I am now at
the Ork camp.
Enjoying my experience quite a bit.

Pros:

- Amazing high def painted artwork. I am playing on a large television and the visuals are just flooring me.
- The world feels real which gives the fantasy elements more impact.
- Puzzles are pretty decent.
- Story provides a fun sense of adventure.

Cons:

- Poor animations
- Uneven quality of dialogue.

Basically if you're able to get past the minimalist animation, which hasn't been hard for me thanks to the game's "picture bookesque" presentation, you are in for a treat.

Top Bottom