• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Knight Rises Unsafe (?) Hype Thread |5 Spoiled, 2 Of Them Mods!|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
I think it's only flipped that way recently. I remember a few lone wolves saying BB is the better movie (including me).

BB > TDK GAFers are a small operation, but there is a lot of potential...

RAPID EXPANSION

gosh, get it right. I have to do everything myself, don't I?

DMczaf

Like I've been saying since last summer, there will be 3 camps come July 20th.

Solo reaction to that track name is just the first step in his movement to Camp TDKR.

I too was of the opinion that TDK was the superior film, it was only after reading the comments on GAF and therefore watching BB again many times that I realised I was wrong.

True statement would be:

"GAF does realize that most people not on GAF never saw BB and thus prefer TDK by default, right?"

I hope those people don't understand one fucking thing happening in TDKR, and upon finally seeing BB for the first time understand the err of their ways.

Justice is balance.

I too was of the opinion that TDK was the superior film, it was only after reading the comments on GAF and therefore watching BB again many times that I realised I was wrong.

88164342-thumb-up-.gif

If I wasn't working night shift 7 days a week I could be seeing this soon. Don't have time to drive to LA and get back before work starts. Can't wait to quit this stupid job and move to LA in August. I missed out on seeing a bunch of movies early. :(

I only thought Begins was 'good' when I first saw it. It wasn't til the second or third viewing that I fell in love with it.
I prefer Begins over The Dark Knight by a tiny bit. They're both great movies to me though.

bsb

Neo Member
Probably because its the better movie.

False.

True statement would be:

"GAF does realize that most people not on GAF never saw BB and thus prefer TDK by default, right?"

Yeah, I was gonna say batgaf and superherohype are probably the only places in the last four years or so where I've seen people acknowledge that BB even exists. Hopefully all the emphasis on TDKR being the conclusion of a trilogy will change that. As it is, it seems to have gone down the cultural memory hole.

Mastgrr

GAF does realize that everybody not on GAF likes TDK better than BB, right?

In Batman Begins, Bruce Wayne's transformation into Batman is absolutely incredible. A guy dressed in a costume, breaking the law fighting bad guys but still following some form of moral code, with high tech gadgets to boot, was somehow made absolutely believable to the viewer. There's no need for any suspense of belief such as "Well, of course that happens – he's Batman!!". Nolan, without making the audience feel cheated, unfolds the story in such a way one really understands Bruce Wayne's thought process from his parents killed all the way to flipping bookshelves. It is a kind of satisfaction value that the Dark Knight doesn't have.

In Batman Begins, Bruce Wayne's transformation into Batman is absolutely incredible. A guy dressed in a costume, breaking the law fighting bad guys but still following some form of moral code, with high tech gadgets to boot, was somehow made absolutely believable to the viewer. There's no need for any suspense of belief such as "Well, of course that happens – he's Batman!!". Nolan, without making the audience feel cheated, unfolds the story in such a way one really understands Bruce Wayne's thought process from his parents killed all the way to flipping bookshelves. It is a kind of satisfaction value that the Dark Knight doesn't have.

Tell it to casual audiences.

Solo

But you also think MI2 is the best MI.

I still can't believe this, my brain won't even process it.

Yes, but with the caveat that all the MI movies are mediocre to poor, and MI2 is the only one that revels in it. Fun movie. Something I can't say for the others.

The only thing Begins has over TDK is that it has a much bigger focus on Bruce/Batman. If that's absolutely important to you, I can see why you think Begins is the better movie.

I'm not really sure what other case can be made; TDK has better acting, stronger villains, a better sense of director (Pfister is such a genius), and the conclusion blows away Begins'. Even in regards to the maligned boat scenes, the Wayne Tower guys at the end of Begins are just as bad if not worse, IMO.

DMczaf

Yes, but with the caveat that all the MI movies are mediocre to poor, and MI2 is the only one that revels in it. Fun movie. Something I can't say for the others.

MI2 doesn't revel in anything! It probably takes itself more seriously than any of the MI movies. As if it thinks it's a great film.

Fucking MI2 and it's fucking doves.

The only thing Begins has over TDK is that it has a much bigger focus on Bruce/Batman. If that's absolutely important to you, I can see why you think Begins is the better movie.

I'm not really sure what other case can be made; TDK has better acting, stronger villains, a better sense of director (Pfister is such a genius), and the conclusion blows away Begins'. Even in regards to the maligned boat scenes, the Wayne Tower guys at the end of Begins are just as bad if not worse, IMO.

Yeah I dunno homie..when the bat flipped that Joker card over it was the cherry on top. It gave me chills.

When Gordon and his kid have that exchange "Why is he running? Because we have to chase him" along with the confusion as to why the bat has to take the blame for something they could easily pin on the joker, I left the theater thinking about how great it felt when I walked out of BB for the first time.

Bane doesn't stand a chance, mangs.
Yeah I dunno homie..when the bat flipped that Joker card over it was the cherry on top. It gave me chills.

When Gordon and his kid have that exchange "Why is he running? Because we have to chase him" along with the confusion as to why the bat has to take the blame for something they could easily pin on the joker, I left the theater thinking about how great it felt when I walked out of BB for the first time.
The Joker card is great, but it's still basically an "Ahh yeah baby!" moment. TDK ties so well into the narrative of the film, and when I left the theater I felt like I'd seen something that was radically different from the conclusions of other comic book movies.

Solo

Easy. Begins has characters and development and takes you on an exceptionally well done and personal character arc. TDK has mouthpieces who stand around and literally tell you what the movie's themes are, and Bruce ends the movie in not much of a different place than he began it in. Neither film is subtle, but TDK is about as subtle as a brick to the face in hammering home its themes.

Writing? BB wins.

Joker's Ledger is iconic. No argument there. But it's also an "easy" type of iconic - it's the flashiest role in the whole Batman universe and the easiest to excel at. Rhas Al Ghul hardly has that kind of iconography, yet Neeson infused him with humanity and character and made the character much more than was on paper. And lest we forget Christian Bale, whose Bruce is arguably the best performance in either film, which anchors the entire film.

Acting? It's a wash. Depends on your preference.

I'm not sure exactly why you are lumping Nolan and Pfister in together, but I would say that Nolan did a much better job directing BB while Pfister did a better job shooting TDK. Nolan honed BB to a very efficient, brisk, focused movie, whereas he let TDK get too overwrought and bogged down. Pfister did a great job on both movies, but he obviously excelled even more with the expanded scope in TDK.

Direction? BB wins. Cinematography? It's close, but TDK wins.

TDK's ending is yet another example of a character standing around monologuing and literally explaining the movie to viewers. Yes, the music crescendoing and the final shot are amazing, but it follows that horrible hokey boat scene and Gordon's stilted monologue. BB's ending is a culmination of the previous 2 hours, and every last second of it is earned due to the meticulously crafted Bruce arc and his motivations. "I never said thank you"/ "and you'll never have to" would have been completely cheesy had the movie not built Bruce's character perfectly to it.

Ending? BB wins.

Dany

Banned
Regal Entertainment Group : Theatres Open "All Knight Long" for Conclusion of Dark Knight Trilogy

Weeks before the film's opening, Regal is already seeing incredible interest by Dark Knight fans for premium experiences such as IMAX. To accommodate, Regal Entertainment Group is adding showtimes throughout the night at many of our theatres for Regal's All Knight Long movie event," stated Greg Dunn, President and COO of Regal Entertainment Group. "Our digital cinema platform allows us to quickly add auditoriums in response to the increasing demand for tickets to the midnight premiere of 'The Dark Knight Rises'."

Several Regal Entertainment Group theatres have added shows to extend the All Knight Long screenings throughout the entire weekend. Markets where Regal is offering 72 hours of continuous shows include: Albany, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia and San Francisco. The continuous schedules are only briefly interrupted for staff to prepare buildings for the next audience

Bane doesn't stand a chance, mangs.
The Joker card is great, but it's still basically an "Ahh yeah baby!" moment. TDK ties so well into the narrative of the film, and when I left the theater I felt like I'd seen something that was radically different from the conclusions of other comic book movies.

You felt that way because of those Zimmer drums that kick in when Gordon goes "So we'll hunt him".

But when you break down that jibberish Gordon is spewing it sounds like something poetic but it's really empty words.

Harvey is the hero Gotham doesn't deserve but the one they needed.
The bat is the hero that Gotham deserves but not the one it needs.

This is all predicated on the idea that Gotham is a slum. That its full of the worst people on earth. Because of this they don't deserve a great guy like Harvey. But 20 minutes earlier we saw two boatloads of people, criminal and citizen, commit a very selfless act. So why doesn't Gotham deserve Harvey exactly?

Easy. Begins has characters and development and takes you on an exceptionally well done and personal character arc. TDK has mouthpieces who stand around and literally tell you what the movie's themes are, and Bruce ends the movie in not much of a different place than he began it in. Neither film is subtle, but TDK is about as subtle as a brick to the face in hammering home its themes.

Writing? BB wins.
Not a much different place? The love of his life is dead, and his alter ego is now a mass murderer in the eyes of the public because the city NEEDED it to be that way. Bruce ends TDK with a more fundamental understanding of what Batman is, and what the Batman is to the people of Gotham.

Joker's Ledger is iconic. No argument there. But it's also an "easy" type of iconic - it's the flashiest role in the whole Batman universe and the easiest to excel at. Rhas Al Ghul hardly has that kind of iconography, yet Neeson infused him with humanity and character and made the character much more than was on paper. And lest we forget Christian Bale, whose Bruce is arguably the best performance in either film, which anchors the entire film.

Acting? It's a wash. Depends on your preference.
Ehh, Aaron Eckhart never really gets enough credit for his performance, which was a lot trickier to pull off than Ledger's. He made Dent's downfall into madness realistic, and some of that does go to writing as well. I know some people complain that the character was half-baked, but I don't buy it.

I'm not sure exactly why you are lumping Nolan and Pfister in together, but I would say that Nolan did a much better job directing BB while Pfister did a better job shooting TDK. Nolan honed BB to a very efficient, brisk, focused movie, whereas he let TDK get too overwrought and bogged down. Pfister did a great job on both movies, but he obviously excelled even more with the expanded scope in TDK.

Direction? BB wins. Cinematography? It's close, but TDK wins.
Not really a whole lot I can say here, I didn't find TDK bogged down at all, so it wins out for me.

TDK's ending is yet another example of a character standing around monologuing and literally explaining the movie to viewers. Yes, the music crescendoing and the final shot are amazing, but it follows that horrible hokey boat scene and Gordon's stilted monologue. BB's ending is a culmination of the previous 2 hours, and every last second of it is earned due to the meticulously crafted Bruce arc and his motivations. "I never said thank you"/ "and you'll never have to" would have been completely cheesy had the movie not built Bruce's character perfectly to it.

Ending? BB wins.
See my above post. The brilliance of the ending for me also ties into what I said about Bruce's character arc.

Salsa

Batman Begins is better than TDK guyz

Just a better film overall for me, not by much, but still.

TDK's Joker is basically the reason the movie's great. The plot is pretty thin/doesnt make a lot of sense and there's some weirdly edited and put together action sequences.

BB manages to retell the origin story in a fresh, interesting way and still pack it with Batman villains never seen before on the big screen at the same time. There's a LOT of stuff going on yet the pace feels completely natural. It's an amazingly well put together film.

Sanjuro

Batman Begins is better than TDK guys

Just a better film overall for me, not by much, but still.

TDK's Joker is basically the reason the movie's great. The plot is pretty thin/doesnt make a lot of sense and there's some weirdly edited and put together action sequences.

You can't really do an origin story with the Joker in the same film. That's part of the problem.

Solo

Aaron Eckhart was great - the problems with his character fall 100% on the writing side of things. Harvey was nicely developed, but once the Two-Face switch was flipped, he's suddenly twirling his moustache and doing dumb shit like letting the man go who killed his fiancee.

Kud Dukan

Come on guys, debating which film was better got old years ago. Let's just wait a few more weeks, then we can start the real debate: BB vs TDK vs TDKR!

Solo

Come on guys, debating which film was better got old years ago. Let's just wait a few more weeks, then we can start the real debate: BB vs TDK vs TDKR!

My issues with TDK are so many that it should be veeeeeery easy for TDKR to destroy it for me.

TDK isn't the devil (BB); it's practice.

Aaron Eckhart was great - the problems with his character fall 100% on the writing side of things. Harvey was nicely developed, but once the Two-Face switch was flipped, he's suddenly twirling his moustache and doing dumb shit like letting the man go who killed his fiancee.

If Clayton Bigsby wasn't banned for being a tone-deaf moron, he would be sooooooo mad right now at this post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom