• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark, Sad Life of Boogie2988 | Official Documentary

Puscifer

Boogie2988 went from a successful youtuber to dealing with bankruptcy and a failing channel that barely gets 17,000 views per video (down from 230,000 pre covid)
It's crazy to me what the availability of livestreaming has done to many YouTubers, go mask off one time if you're putting up a front and it's game over

Need to check this out when I have time, his Francis Xbox rant from a few years ago was GOAT-tier. I would occasionally watch his vids but it's been years, last thing I remember watching was him talking about preparing for the surgery, don't quite remember how long ago that was.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Why is some lady climbing on top of him in the intro?

I watched him during his prime years. Didn’t he join GAF and ended up saying some stupid stuff? He sure did screw up a good thing.

Last edited:
He spent 200,000 on prostitutes.
I Like It Good Job GIF

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Boogie2988 went from a successful youtuber to dealing with bankruptcy and a failing channel that barely gets 17,000 views per video (down from 230,000 pre covid)

That's because he was an insufferable prick. (I don't know about now) He would always make certain dramas about him, when they were nothing about him. He was weird and I saw the decline years ago. He basically squandered his fame and money. Wasting money on complete wastes of shit and his personality is or was reminiscent of Jekyll and Hyde.

Billbofet

I watched about half of it and it's nothing but him complaining without much introspection or accountability. I hope he gets his shit back on track, but this doc makes him look terrible and challenging to be sympathetic to.

On a lighter note, I found it funny that having sex with him made a sex worker quit that line of work and even the filmmaker took a break because it was so exhausting how negative Boogie is about everything.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I watched him during his prime years. Didn’t he join GAF and ended up saying some stupid stuff? He sure did screw up a good thing.
He drew a lot of attention to himself, said dubious things, then had a meltdown any time someone criticized him (even in the most gentle possible way). Then people would pity and console him, he’d recover, go back to saying dubious things for attention, get mildly criticized, immediately have another meltdown, rinse and repeat.

Keep in mind that we had maybe a half dozen cycles of this in one night. It quickly became an untenable situation that was very disruptive and inappropriate, so I had to ban him. Nothing personal.

Can I get a TLDW?
Some middling YouTube documentary maker tries to rehab Boogie's YouTube career, post Reddit takedown destruction, by throwing in a magic mushroom epiphany in as the conclusion.

There's tales of hookers, and wasting money. There's one hooker whose identity is being hidden but you can still tell she's really ugly. There's some other day-in-the-life bullshit.

Looks like he's currently getting a bump from post doc vids. He claims he'll stop making "I'm a sad sack" videos that nobody ever wanted to watch and hastened his channel's demise. We'll see how it goes.

I used to have Boogie subbed on YouTube. I tend to leave stuff subbed even if I don't really watch it, just to have a little more variety to pick from when looking at my YouTube subscriptions page. But I unsubbed him. I even still have Cinemassacre subbed ffs and I find that channel insufferable at this point.

Like the only other unsub I can even remember is COD stats YouTuber drift0r who went full retard and I guess is pretending he has a disease where he can't get out of bed or something?

Would have rather had a documentary on literally any one of Boogie's random Magic the Gathering friends' sad lives with maybe the exception of the girl with the hairy mole.

-Minsc-

Not going to watch it. I pray for the guy to learn and grow in a positive manner from whatever experiences he's currently going through. Losing the fame income is probably the best thing for him.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
One more thought. What sad group of people would even take the time to make such a documentary? They must have been jealous of his past success and want to feel good about his downfall. All said without watching the documentary.
It’s all on Boogie’s behalf it seems. It’s an authorized documentary.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I know resetera types love to shit on this guy. So he can't be all bad. I've seen very little of him over the years. I think I watched maybe one video. What made him "famous" was he funny?

Last edited:

-Minsc-

It’s all on Boogie’s behalf it seems. It’s an authorized documentary.
Ahh, ok. I suppose it all depends on how he uses the experience to grow as a person. Though, based on previous comments it may all play into his previous life cycle.

I didn't watch the documentary, but are we supposed to feel compassion for a guy that wasted almost a million dollars on whores and crypto?

In the context of wanting him to improve as a person, yes. Feeding internet fame is probably not the best way to go about it.

Last edited:

Sybrix

I've been watching him on and off for the last few years, probably 10 year actually thinking about it.

He used to be primarily a gaming channel, however there is so much of his life drama that spills into his videos he seems to have focused on that for the last few years only.

I still watch his from time to time but some of the drama he gets caught up in is stuff im not interested in.

He doesnt help himself sometimes either, the e-begging video when he blew all his cash on Crypto.

In that documentary he talks about having to sell his house due to not making enough money now, however he also spent over $300k on hoookers.................................................. reasonable question is why didnt he clear his mortgage when he had all that cash!?!?!?

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Watched a good chunk last night. Damn, dude needed a financial advisor when he was raking in the money. Someone to guide him to grow that and not waste it.
Easy to judge in that aspect. It's natural to ride that income high and keep thinking it's going to be like that 24/7.

Other parts though...that job agency interview...hilarious. Dude is definitely out of touch there. And I didn't know he's a felon.

Kenpachii

I’m not going to subject myself to the full documentary, but penguin0 covers the bases.

Sad pile of garbage human, let him go bankrupt so he gets a wake up call. Also what the fuck is that 20+ younger chick doing with him? she's also a sex worker? because lets be real here lol.

Cyberpunkd

It really isn't. Not if you've ever come from hardship. Anything else is just stupidity.
TBH don't we have enough examples of great athletes coming from hardship and the first thing they do is blow all their paychecks on stupid things, then after they retire they go bankrupt relatively quickly? Tyson is one example.

I would say the opposite - if you don't come from hardship your parents probably instilled in you the value of hard work, but also sensible budgeting and financial acumen.

-Minsc-

TBH don't we have enough examples of great athletes coming from hardship and the first thing they do is blow all their paychecks on stupid things, then after they retire they go bankrupt relatively quickly? Tyson is one example.

I would say the opposite - if you don't come from hardship your parents probably instilled in you the value of hard work, but also sensible budgeting and financial acumen.
In reading about successful people they typically mention finding a great mentor. It's reasonable to say those who hold on to success (not the superficial kind) have wise counsel behind them.

Laieon

That's because he was an insufferable prick. (I don't know about now) He would always make certain dramas about him, when they were nothing about him. He was weird and I saw the decline years ago. He basically squandered his fame and money. Wasting money on complete wastes of shit and his personality is or was reminiscent of Jekyll and Hyde.

Dude also seems to get extremely judgemental and push away anyone who legitimately tries to help him or suggest he's anything less than perfect, from his exwife to various other Youtubers like Ethan Klein to that fitness guy who reached out to him after he got his surgery to try to get him on a workout plan that would keep him at that weight, if not even better (I think that was Boogie anyway). He's the living embodiment of this:

skinner.jpg

He drew a lot of attention to himself, said dubious things, then had a meltdown any time someone criticized him (even in the most gentle possible way).

Yep, and seems like that trend has just continued year after year.

Yep, and we also see young people in their 20s joining the military and blowing their paychecks on sports cars. Financial literacy isn't nearly as prominent as it needs to be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom